Which Line for Solos?

kasaba

I'm considering at least one solo cruise this year but not sure which line. I'd have Gold status at RC from 5-day Caribbean last spring, but was kind of underwhelmed by food and excursions (Nassau was a complete waste). NCL seems like the obvious choice, but I've also heard Celebrity pays attention to solo activities. Conversely, have heard that Princess is more of a Love Boat, and that Virgin is more for "swinging singles." I'm a young 65 and most interested in excursions. Your opinions? Thanks!

• Like 1

I haven't cruise NCL and my first Celebrity cruise is next week, but I've cruised quite a few other lines. My Princess cruises did seem to have 90% couples. RCL had mainly families. So far, my favorite is HAL. They are more oriented to the 'traveler' than the 'vacationer'. 

• Like 4

On 1/15/2023 at 12:34 AM, kasaba said:

I'm considering at least one solo cruise this year but not sure which line. I'd have Gold status at RC from 5-day Caribbean last spring, but was kind of underwhelmed by food and excursions (Nassau was a complete waste). NCL seems like the obvious choice, but I've also heard Celebrity pays attention to solo activities. Conversely, have heard that Princess is more of a Love Boat, and that Virgin is more for "swinging singles." I'm a young 65 and most interested in excursions. Your opinions? Thanks!

I've only sailed with NCL and out of school holiday windows so the age spread tends to be quite varied.

You can get a look at all of their excursions regardless of specific itinerary https://www.ncl.com/fr/en/shore-excursions

Not all will be offered on each itinerary but I found it was good for getting ideas of what's available at different ports and I could then search for local providers (check trip advisor and CC for reviews). 

Also the prices on the webpage above are the full normal price without the $50 excursion credit discount.

I have done 3 solo cruises and did enjoy them.  The 2 I did on Royal Caribbean where ok but not the greatest.  I did 1 solo cruise on the Queen Mary 2 and it was amazing.  I have my another one booked on QM2 in May.  They had such great entertainment including guest speakers, movies, and beautiful artwork.  There are many quiet places to sit and read and watch the world go by.  I just wish the cruise lines would not charge so much for a single supplement.  Enjoy your upcoming cruises.

• Like 1

If you go on a NCL ship with solo cabins you have a built in group of other solo travelers.  On these ships NCL dedicates cruise staff to coordinate things such as dining and entertainment.

You do not have to travel in the solo cabin to take part in these.

I will be traveling on RC in April/May 23 transpacific trip which has solo cabins also so I will see how this compares to NCL. 

Gerry, that link goes to Costa UK, in GBP. USD quotes from Costa USA tend to be rather expensive- I've comparison shopped in euros from Costa France. Unless the OP has decided on Europe for sure, airfare is going to eat up any cost savings.

As well, if the OP didn't like the food on RCCL, he probably won't like the food on Costa, For unilingual English-speaking (and not a dancer), singles activities can be hit-or-miss. If you're looking for highly-structured, as in herded to dinner like 8-year olds from the kids club, NCL is a good choice.

• Like 1

I’ve sailed solo on Celebrity, RCL, NCL, HAL, Carnival and Princess. IME most cruise lines have one lunch or solo meetup during cruise sea day but not much more unless NCL. NCL has solo studios (inside and usually higher priced than inside or oceanview). If you sail solo you can participate in activities and lounge happy hours and shared dinner table  even if not staying in studio cabins. I’ve sailed NCL transatlantic so lots of folks solo and things to do. I met new friends on NCL.

As for food, I have food allergies so all lines catered to that. 

I sailed Celebrity Edge which has solo verandah rooms and loved newer ship. There was one lunch meetup but otherwise I was on my own. Joined a few tours but folks weren’t keen on chatting. I love Celebrity bc more luxury touches but less activities than others. 

i write philatravelgirl blog which has some solo posts 

hope this helps 

On 1/24/2023 at 6:02 PM, filmfestgirl said:

I’ve sailed solo on Celebrity, RCL, NCL, HAL, Carnival and Princess. IME most cruise lines have one lunch or solo meetup during cruise sea day but not much more unless NCL. NCL has solo studios (inside and usually higher priced than inside or oceanview). If you sail solo you can participate in activities and lounge happy hours and shared dinner table  even if not staying in studio cabins. I’ve sailed NCL transatlantic so lots of folks solo and things to do. I met new friends on NCL.

As for food, I have food allergies so all lines catered to that. 

I sailed Celebrity Edge which has solo verandah rooms and loved newer ship. There was one lunch meetup but otherwise I was on my own. Joined a few tours but folks weren’t keen on chatting. I love Celebrity bc more luxury touches but less activities than others. 

i write philatravelgirl blog which has some solo posts 

hope this helps 

Can you share more a bout the fewer activities on Celebrity? I've never tried out a cruise and I am just starting to research options.  Everything I've read so far has kind of led me to Celebrity being more my style and having extras I would totally pay extra for, like glass blowing.  But I would like to know more about what might be missing as far as activities.  

On 1/28/2023 at 4:48 PM, Desert Cruiser 75 said:

Can you share more a bout the fewer activities on Celebrity? I've never tried out a cruise and I am just starting to research options.  Everything I've read so far has kind of led me to Celebrity being more my style and having extras I would totally pay extra for, like glass blowing.  But I would like to know more about what might be missing as far as activities.  

I've sailed Celebrity but not solo. If you do, I suggest Eclass ship.

NCL did solo best, but I'm pretty outgoing so Princess was fun too.

• Like 2

@Desert Cruiser 75you are wise to do your research on the different experiences each line offers solos.  Everyone is so different in what they enjoy and their style of socializing!

For me, as a solo, NCL sounds horrible because I don't enjoy doing group activities and dining with strangers particularly.  I like to meet people around the ship/bars/excursions and if we seem to get along, then meet for dinner or other activities.  I enjoy eating by myself too. The solo cabins look like a step up from my cramped college dorm room although it had a window to the outdoors!  Others seem to love them.  

🤷‍♀️

Choice is good!!

~Nancy

• Like 3

I travel solo because I prefer being alone most of the time. I don't usually book anything special. I like having the choice of when to be round other people. Yes, I wish the solo price was cheaper but it is what it is, from the cruise company's point of view, the upkeep of the cabin  is the same whether it is for one person or two. cheers Sheila

• Like 3

On 2/4/2023 at 2:46 AM, oakridger said:

@Desert Cruiser 75you are wise to do your research on the different experiences each line offers solos.  Everyone is so different in what they enjoy and their style of socializing!

For me, as a solo, NCL sounds horrible because I don't enjoy doing group activities and dining with strangers particularly.  I like to meet people around the ship/bars/excursions and if we seem to get along, then meet for dinner or other activities.  I enjoy eating by myself too. The solo cabins look like a step up from my cramped college dorm room although it had a window to the outdoors!  Others seem to love them.  

🤷‍♀️

Choice is good!!

~Nancy

You’re not forced to join the organised activities or meals for the solos on NCL. You can join or avoid as the mood takes you. It’s just handy to get to know some people so there might be someone you can ask to watch your stuff on a sun deck or share a seat on excursions. 

• Like 3

On 2/6/2023 at 12:12 PM, eileeshb said:

You’re not forced to join the organised activities or meals for the solos on NCL. You can join or avoid as the mood takes you.

Of course that's true.  It's nice to have the choices!

~Nancy

• Like 1

I have done one solo and that was on Celebrity Apex last summer. I attended the solo event on the first night and met 7 or 8 other solos.  We continued to meet every evening and had a wonderful time!  I would think the ships that have the solo cabins give the best chance of meeting others traveling alone...I'm going on the Beyond this year as a solo so will see.... I do appreciate the quality and service experienced with Celebrity - I have taken 3 other cruises with them (not as solo) and have enjoyed them all!

My first question is what do you want from a cruise, particularly as a solo cruiser.  My goal is to be treated no differently than any other cruiser......I don't want solo gatherings or lounges, because I am no more interested in meeting solo people than non-solo people.  I'd rather have a nice central cocktail lounge near the dining room, where mingling with people coming and going is easier, regardless of whether they're travelling solo, as a couple, or as a family.  A nice library or coffee lounge is good too.  I just want staff and servers who look at me, and not past me to see whom I'm there with (which is no one) or whether there's a couple waiting for a table instead. 

I've sailed multiple times on the old Crystal, and only once on Seabourn.  I have solo cruises coming up on Azamara, the new Crystal, and Silversea. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I'm eager to cruise with Saga, a British cruise line that has two ships similar in style to Viking Ocean ships -- all-balcony cabins for under 1000 passengers. But on Saga, 20% of the cabins are for solos! The all-inclusive fares are not budget-priced, but I like the idea that solos are very welcome.

The catch is that all of the itineraries begin and end in the UK. After 3 years of waiting, in two months I will finally flying off to LHR for my first Saga cruise(s). Oh, and they send a driver to pick me up at my airport hotel.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2023 at 11:52 PM, calliopecruiser said:

I don't want solo gatherings or lounges, because I am no more interested in meeting solo people than non-solo people. 

Very well put. I have never had the mindset that I need to meet other solos. People are people -- and they are interesting or not -- whether or not they are solos, couples, a family, whatever...  

The ships I've liked most as a long-time solo sailor are those that provide a lot of activities where you can meet like-minded passengers, whether solo or not. One ship I sailed with had a choir that rehearsed a few pieces together and did a "concert" at the end of a cruise. Fun if you like to sing. Several others I chose for the enrichment/lectures onboard, which are good conversation starters as well. 

Almost all cruise line forums here will have someone who has posted recent activities sheets or "dailies" from their cruise. It's a good idea to get a sense of what kind of activities are offered.

I agree with Cruisermom😀. I have been sailing solo for 20 years and someone's martial status does not matter to me. I enjoy meeting others, single/divorced/married/etc....etc....I mean, if I happen to meet another solo guest? Ok....but I don't place any importance on that fact.  I have met all kinds of people over the years and many have been married or "together" but not actually married LOL......and found them more engaging than other solo guests. 

I agree, People are People........some fun, some interesting, some not so much.........but as for the marital status? Just not something that is important to me. 

Oh, to your original question about cruise lines? Nowadays everyone has so many choices........over the last few years I have been sailing with Silversea and love their product. More $$ than mainstream lines for sure but in my opinion, well worth it. 

Prior to that I sailed with Celebrity for about 15 years with some others sprinkled in...a few on Royal and 1 with HAL and another with Azamara.

All of them have positives and negatives. .I prefer the smaller ships these days so Silversea fits my needs. 

• Like 2

Good to hear Lois I have always travelled as a couple and mainly on Silversea but now I am on my own was wondering if I should book one to see how I get on. I have booked a cruise in August on the Spirit, but my daughter is coming with me. But think I should also take the plunge a book solo cruise 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zenblue100 said:

Good to hear Lois I have always travelled as a couple and mainly on Silversea but now I am on my own was wondering if I should book one to see how I get on. I have booked a cruise in August on the Spirit, but my daughter is coming with me. But think I should also take the plunge a book solo cruise 

Hi, I am going on Spirit next month!🙂It will be my 3rd time on her. 

• Like 1