Ice Cream

Crazy planning mom

2 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

...and then there is always the option of my biggest pet peeve with X....the $4.50 scoop of gelato! 😡

Why does that pet peeve you?  I view it as a specialty item like dining in a specialty restaurant...the price is competitive with gelato here at home.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Whinenowine said:

...and then there is always the option of my biggest pet peeve with X....the $4.50 scoop of gelato! 😡

I used to roll my eyes and shake my head that Celebrity charged for gelato while offering ice cream for no extra charge in the buffet. But on my last cruise, my friend and I met and chatted with the executive pastry chef on the Summit, and one of the things we learned from him was that gelato is much more expensive to make than the other desserts.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Whinenowine said:

I mean, I just paid $5.50 for a scoop as dessert at an Italian restaurant, so it could be worse!

On our Solstice cruise 1/2/2023 we had some of our favorite flavors of Celebrity Ice Cream in the Oceanview Cafe; Cinnamon, After Eight, Butter Pecan, Pistachio, Coconut Sorbet, Lemon Sorbet...

They also had soft serve with various toppings available but we like the regular ice creams. And they always had a sugarfree flavor every day if that interests you.

41 minutes ago, yoshi said:

On our Solstice cruise 1/2/2023 we had some of our favorite flavors of Celebrity Ice Cream in the Oceanview Cafe; Cinnamon, After Eight, Butter Pecan, Pistachio, Coconut Sorbet, Lemon Sorbet...

They also had soft serve with various toppings available but we like the regular ice creams. And they always had a sugarfree flavor every day if that interests you.

In the evening with the reduced buffet dinner offerings?

37 minutes ago, yoshi said:

Was on her the sailing before, they had a huge glass bowl with peanut M&Ms, I have never noticed them before but once while waiting in a long line saw one person arrive with a plastic cup and they scooped the m&ms into the cup until it was full.  On every sailing you'll most likely see several things you've never seen before, this was one of them

On my sept-Oct Millie cruise at the buffet for breakfast, I saw a woman ask a crew member who was tending the coffee machine for paper coffee cups, he grabbed a sealed sleeve of packed cups, as he was attempting to open it she just grabbed the whole sealed sleeve out of his hands and walked away...lol

22 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Why does that pet peeve you?  I view it as a specialty item like dining in a specialty restaurant...the price is competitive with gelato here at home.

Yup, don't disagree with anything people have said here, all your comments were very reasonable--it's more about my expectations rather than any real issue.  We're lucky enough to be able to always book a suite, and if we're dropping, say, $1,200-1,500 per night on a CS it seems a little 'nickel-and-dime-y" to have to pay $4.50 for a scoop of gelato (especially when I can drink $100 worth of booze and $25 worth of specialty coffee daily without a surcharge).  A high class problem, to be sure, but still...a pet peeve for moi.

😇

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

Yup, don't disagree with anything people have said here, all your comments were very reasonable--it's more about my expectations rather than any real issue.  We're lucky enough to be able to always book a suite, and if we're dropping, say, $1,200-1,500 per night on a CS it seems a little 'nickel-and-dime-y" to have to pay $4.50 for a scoop of gelato (especially when I can drink $100 worth of booze and $25 worth of specialty coffee daily without a surcharge).  A high class problem, to be sure, but still...a pet peeve for moi.

😇

To be sure, a scoop of complimentary gelato is reasonable at suite prices these days.  We book suites as well and I personally think suites should come with access to Persian Gardens.  MSC gives access to their thermal area (which puts the PG facilities to shame) to all suite categories....and you can get a scoop of gelato as well!  Hmmm...

• Like 1

I look at the ice cream in the Oceanview Cafe, but almost always just keep on walking. I don't think that they're ever going to have something there which really catches my interest -- like cookie dough or cookies and cream ice cream.... boring !

Tom

28 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I look at the ice cream in the Oceanview Cafe, but almost always just keep on walking. I don't think that they're ever going to have something there which really catches my interest -- like cookie dough or cookies and cream ice cream.... boring !

Tom

We had Oreo Cookie ice cream on our last cruise.  I should not have eaten it all! 😀

We have also had Coconut.  Much depends on who is making the ice cream.

• Like 1

During our cruise on Princess in 2019 we were warned multiple times that the gelato was not complimentary and there was an added fee...flash to the last day when we're both a little drunk (duty free was doing cash and carry,  so a handle of Tito's and the comp lemonade served us well for veranda drinks) and a scoop of gelato would hit the spot. We both had giant "sundaes" loaded up and got ready for the sting.

...$1.25 each. We giggled like idiots all the way up to the pool deck. It was even better than free.

Times change, but looking forward to checking out the options on Celebrity this year! Echoing the above poster, hope they have something available in the evening for a late-night snack.

10 hours ago, TeeRick said:

In the evening with the reduced buffet dinner offerings?

I only stopped by in the afternoons but I would think they have a full selection as long as the ice cream station is open (I think until 10pm?)

My DW was standing in line on day 1 of a 2019 cruise.  Someone talked her into trying the cinnamon ice cream  seems like am odd flavor.  For the next 4 years she would not shut up about it.  Our next cruise in 2022 she remembered that it was a first day flavor if that makes sense.  She brought me a bowl, well I'm here now raving about it