Marina

ronrick1943

Thinking about booking the Marina near the end of the year (December 2023).  It’s been awhile since I’ve been on this ship.  Anyone have any feelings about her, what shape is she in………..any plans for refurbishment? Or when was the last time she was refurbished?  Thanks in advance.

NO idea when it will be refitted.

We were just on the refitted Riviera, bathrooms are very nice, staterooms have a new look and feel.

We were on the Marina in November, bathrooms need re doing, staterooms tired and dated. 

We will be on the Marina again in November of 2023, really hope they decide to refit by then, but doubt it will happen since some say it is fine as it is. It is NOT fine, JMHO. 

• Like 2

How about a statement put out as to this refit cancellation.  Those cruising Nov. 13, 2023 and beyond booked believing they were on a refitted ship. 
Oceania making too many changes and last minute changes. 
14 day southern Carib Dec. 2024 totally cancelled and replaced with 12 day western cariib.

Offered $250 shipboard credit to stay with inferior itinerary. 
5 hours port time reduced on Feb 2023 Riviera. 

• Like 5

On Marina last month. Agree….worn, faded and torn drapes, bedskirts, couch and headboard fabric, chipped furniture, broken lights. Booked a 2024 cruise thinking ship would be new….will cancel. 
Every travel magazine and service had numerous articles about the refits. Not a word about  Marina cancellation. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Jayne E said:

On Marina last month. Agree….worn, faded and torn drapes, bedskirts, couch and headboard fabric, chipped furniture, broken lights. Booked a 2024 cruise thinking ship would be new….will cancel. 
Every travel magazine and service had numerous articles about the refits. Not a word about  Marina cancellation. 

What cabin number were you in?  Will be on Marina in a few weeks 

1 hour ago, luvsmickey said:

What cabin number were you in?  Will be on Marina in a few weeks 

Not to worry…..although the cabins do look to be ready for the refit that was announced, the food and service is still excellent. Bed is in very good condition. Chairs in several dining venues are new as well as carpeting in some areas.  We had a good cruise….just disappointed as we were looking forward to cruising in 2024 on the “new” Marina. 

Edited by Jayne E

1 minute ago, Jayne E said:

Not to worry…..although the cabins do look to be ready for the refit that was announced, the food and service is still excellent. Bed is in very good condition. Chairs in several dining venues are new as well as carpeting in some areas.  We had a good cruise….just disappointed as we we’re looking forward to cruising in 2024 on the “new” Marina. 

OK, that is good news—-thanks

We were on the Marina a year ago and can't imagine that she has gone down so much. Even with the cancellation of the refitting I would cruise her again if the itineraries weren't jerked around. A few hits and misses onboard are one thing. We are itinerary driven and that comes first. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alcpa1 said:

We were on the Marina a year ago and can't imagine that she has gone down so much. Even with the cancellation of the refitting I would cruise her again if the itineraries weren't jerked around. A few hits and misses onboard are one thing. We are itinerary driven and that comes first. 

Thank you——we enjoy the ship with some touring—the cruise we pick out are a few places we haven’t been and enjoy touring on are own…….

We are on Marina now. She is really tired and refurbishes only in small parts. The aircondition doesn’t work properly. The whole ship is not in good shape. Many rusty things. I have over 20 cruises with Oceania and probably I will cancel my next booking. Food is not anymore as it was before Covid. I am very disappointed. Yesterday it was like on a party ship. People jumped in the pool and seemed completely drunken. No GM or other responsibilities were there to stop it. Very late the CD came.

This is not anymore what you expect from a cruise line in this price level.

With their policy rising the prices also onboard and lower service as they do I do not think they do it well

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, alcpa1 said:

3 hours ago, urlaub said:

We are on Marina now. She is really tired and refurbishes only in small parts. The aircondition doesn’t work properly. The whole ship is not in good shape. Many rusty things. I have over 20 cruises with Oceania and probably I will cancel my next booking. Food is not anymore as it was before Covid. I am very disappointed. Yesterday it was like on a party ship. People jumped in the pool and seemed completely drunken. No GM or other responsibilities were there to stop it. Very late the CD came.

This is not anymore what you expect from a cruise line in this price level.

With their policy rising the prices also onboard and lower service as they do I do not think they do it well

I have to agree with @urlaub  We left Marina on the 8th.  Surprised to see a rusty ship.  Large dents in the hull.  Rust on our Oceania Suite balcony.  Interior suite doors that did not work.  Cabinets that did not close.  Tired looking furnishings.  Food is subjective, but it was disappointing.  We came from Regent Splendor and then onto Marina.  Regent much better.   Never a hot meal in the GDR.   Service was hit miss.  I blame the INVISIBLE officers.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

I have to agree with @urlaub  We left Marina on the 8th.  Surprised to see a rusty ship.  Large dents in the hull.  Rust on our Oceania Suite balcony.  Interior suite doors that did not work.  Cabinets that did not close.  Tired looking furnishings.  Food is subjective, but it was disappointing.  We came from Regent Splendor and then onto Marina.  Regent much better.   Never a hot meal in the GDR.   Service was hit miss.  I blame the INVISIBLE officers.

Wow, I guess we may have to rethink this.  Hope a few more people write some additional comments that have been on the ship —may have to change are plans again.  Thanks for being so honest.

21 hours ago, alcpa1 said:

We were on Marina last month, and I can't help but wonder what some people's expectations are.  I did see a tiny bit of rust on our balcony, but really, this is a ship - it's to be expected.  The lovely Marina is hardly the rust-bucket being described here.  O is not a luxury line, so I don't expect absolute perfection.  I expect good value for my money, comfortable cabins, very good cuisine, and a pleasant, engaged crew.  That's what we got.  Sure, there were a few hits/misses but wouldn't life be boring if everything were perfect!  For those of you who talk about canceling, evaluate your own expectations and then decide.  Marina is a lovely ship, with a fabulous crew.  Enjoy!

• Like 10

Bottom line IMO, is that there’s a very good reason that a total refit was scheduled for October 2023. It was needed.  Can’t get any information as to why it was cancelled or when it will be done.  Refurbished ship was scheduled for first cruise November 13, 2024. 
All passengers scheduled on Marina from that date forward should have been advised of this cancellation. Many would stay, some would rebook another cruise and some would cancel.  Oceania needs to be more forthcoming with its passengers. 
They’re prompt to let you know by email when ship is arriving/departing an hour more or less but a refit cancellation is not broadly announced. 

• Like 1

Maybe they do not have  crew  to do all the painting  etc  so you will see some rust   I hardly think there are holes  in the hull from the rust   then that would be bad

Many of those that worked on the ships  may have had to find other ways  to stay  alive   & other jobs  so going back to sea  is not

for them any longer

I know  the USA did not get affected by covid  but  some parts of the World did  &  they are still recovering  financially 🤔

Goes for the cruise  industry as well as many businesses 

They may start to make some money in a couple of years    remember many lines had to borrow  big $$$  to stay afloat

so now they have to repay those loans

If you think the ships are bad  then  look at alternative  vacations

JMO

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Maybe they do not have  crew  to do all the painting  etc  so you will see some rust   I hardly think there are holes  in the hull from the rust   then that would be bad

Many of those that worked on the ships  may have had to find other ways  to stay  alive   & other jobs  so going back to sea  is not

for them any longer

I know  the USA did not get affected by covid  but  some parts of the World did  &  they are still recovering  financially 🤔

Goes for the cruise  industry as well as many businesses 

They may start to make some money in a couple of years    remember many lines had to borrow  big $$$  to stay afloat

so now they have to repay those loans

If you think the ships are bad  then  look at alternative  vacations

JMO

No, I don’t think they are bad—-It’s been awhile since we’ve cruised “O” and I was wondering how the Marina is, service, food and in general how it will be.

Thanks

12 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Wow, I guess we may have to rethink this.  Hope a few more people write some additional comments that have been on the ship —may have to change are plans again.  Thanks for being so honest.

We were on Riviera and Regatta, both post Covid. Both were outstanding. Riviera was pre refurbishment and she was in a good shape overall. Marina is only one year older, so I cannot imagine here being in so much worse shape.

Yes, food is subjective - to us, this is still the best Cuisine at sea. In fact, we liked O food better than food on our last Silversea cruise. Again, our opinion only.

Everyone has their opinions, but I learned to take the reviews with a grant of salt. Don't believe everything you read.. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

We were on Riviera and Regatta, both post Covid. Both were outstanding. Riviera was pre refurbishment and she was in a good shape overall. Marina is only one year older, so I cannot imagine here being in so much worse shape.

Yes, food is subjective - to us, this is still the best Cuisine at sea. In fact, we liked O food better than food on our last Silversea cruise. Again, our opinion only.

Everyone has their opinions, but I learned to take the reviews with a grant of salt. Don't believe everything you read.. 

Great, nice to read your feelings—-We’re just getting off Silversea Spirit, the food was so disappointing for a Luxury line.

24 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

I remember your post when we cruised “O”, we moved to Regent and just completed a cruise on Silversea which was a big disappointment to us.  Talk about poor training, some crew very good and others not so.  Thanks for the information as we are looking at booking.

Maybe look at other lines  & their reviews

Ritz Carlton 

The New Crystal will be sailing soon

Maybe you will find something suitable

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Maybe look at other lines  & their reviews

Ritz Carlton 

The New Crystal will be sailing soon

Maybe you will find something suitable

All lines get plenty of 1 and 2 star reviews lately, including Silversea, Seabourn and Regent. I was shocked to read two 1 star reviews about the same SS cruise we were in December. To us it was slightly below expectations, but definitely not 1 star. 

Going back to Marina - I see the its schedule is full for the whole 2023-2024. Is the refit still possible in 2024? If they schedule the refit that collides with some sailings, do they just cancel those sailings and give booked passengers some kind of compensation? I remember that Riviera had a gap for the end of 2022 where the refit was scheduled.

6 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

All lines get plenty of 1 and 2 star reviews lately, including Silversea, Seabourn and Regent. I was shocked to read two 1 star reviews about the same SS cruise we were in December. To us it was slightly below expectations, but definitely not 1 star. 

Exactly   all lines are experiencing  food supply issues

Heck even here at home  some weeks  there are shortages  of some items