Marina

ronrick1943

2 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

All lines get plenty of 1 and 2 star reviews lately, including Silversea, Seabourn and Regent. I was shocked to read two 1 star reviews about the same SS cruise we were in December. To us it was slightly below expectations, but definitely not 1 star. 

Going back to Marina - I see the its schedule is full for the whole 2023-2024. Is the refit still possible in 2024? If they schedule the refit that collides with some sailings, do they just cancel those sailings and give booked passengers some kind of compensation? I remember that Riviera had a gap for the end of 2022 where the refit was scheduled.

Typically, when Oceania makes cruise cancellations, they do it before the air schedule opens up for that time frame. That’s 11-12 months depending upon airlines. Therefore, most all of 2024 is still in play.

I will add that the ship yards appear to be fairly busy and it would be at least that far out to get a slot reserved. I still personally believe that NCLH’s financial condition is such that they need all the revenue they can get, and will delay extra expenses as long as possible. I’ll be on Marina next month. Will be interesting to make my own decisions.

In Oct, our OCA on Sirena announced that the cruise schedule for the second “ A” Class ship would be announced in April for 2025 sailings. We’ll soon see if that actually happens. A new ship is a lot of money NCLH doesn’t have.

• Thanks 2

Perhaps if we did not just sail on the refitted Riviera we would not think the Marina is in bad shape. But once you have seen the redone bathrooms, staterooms and new carpets everywhere, you think differently about what you experienced on the Marina.

Has anyone else been on the Riviera after the refit that can make that comparison?

I have sailed on Marina several times.  Most recent was December 2022.  Ship is still beautiful.  It is well cared for.  Our cabin on deck 10 was in good condition.  Bed was very comfortable. The public venues look good.  I would gladly sail on her again.  
I sailed on Sirena in 2020 after it was redone.  It looked bright and fresh. However, the refit was done sloppily with several rough spots.  

• Like 3

Though so much of this is so subjective. From the photographs I've seen I prefer what I actually saw while on Riviera 12/2021. I'm not a fan of what I'd call something like "Scandinavian minimalist bright". This is a bit like discussing the art on board. Mostly disliked what I saw on Sirena 11/2022 but that's my subjective opinion. (And my wife prefers a bathtub, which we had in our A4 on Riviera. Another subjective issue.)

I was on the Marina from October to December 2022.  Beautiful ship.  Absolutely no issues.  Bedroom furnishings had some luggage scuff marks.  Usually see rust on balcony, but saw none in Concierge Balcony this trip.  As is normal, there was a full-time crew painting hull, pool deck, internal balconies, etc. while I was aboard.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Though so much of this is so subjective. From the photographs I've seen I prefer what I actually saw while on Riviera 12/2021. I'm not a fan of what I'd call something like "Scandinavian minimalist bright". This is a bit like discussing the art on board. Mostly disliked what I saw on Sirena 11/2022 but that's my subjective opinion. (And my wife prefers a bathtub, which we had in our A4 on Riviera. Another subjective issue.)

A small number of cabins on Riviera still have a bathtub, for those who prefer one.

I just spent 2 weeks on Marina and we did have a wonderful cruise.  The furniture has more than luggage scuff marks. Drapes, bedskirt, headboard and sofa fabric worn. Lights not working, robe hook broken off, cabin door didn't completely close.  This wasn't specific to my cabin.  All the necessary repairs were made promptly. Service and food excellent. Public areas in better condition than cabins.  On Riviera this February and May and looking forward to the new cabin.

BTW, you no longer get a vanity mirror unless it's Concierge and above. When I called to say my mirror was missing, that's what reception said.  I thought she was kidding.  She wasn't!  A $10 mirror is now an amenity for Concierge and above.  What's next? The soap dish??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you have not cruised on a refitted O ship then Marina is still fine - well above most cruise ship standards. If you have cruised on a refitted O ship then you will notice that she needs to be updated to the level and standard of her sisters. 

I seem to remember during the future cruise presentation (half asleep only there to see if I could win the OBC) that Marina is not getting a refit til 2024. She will definitely need it at that point. 

Marina was my first love on O, if I am honest, I am worried for her future. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, ToxM said:

If you have not cruised on a refitted O ship then Marina is still fine - well above most cruise ship standards. If you have cruised on a refitted O ship then you will notice that she needs to be updated to the level and standard of her sisters. 

I seem to remember during the future cruise presentation (half asleep only there to see if I could win the OBC) that Marina is not getting a refit til 2024. She will definitely need it at that point. 

Thanks for the input.

11 hours ago, Jayne E said:

A small number of cabins on Riviera still have a bathtub, for those who prefer one.

I just spent 2 weeks on Marina and we did have a wonderful cruise.  The furniture has more than luggage scuff marks. Drapes, bedskirt, headboard and sofa fabric worn. Lights not working, robe hook broken off, cabin door didn't completely close.  This wasn't specific to my cabin.  All the necessary repairs were made promptly. Service and food excellent. Public areas in better condition than cabins.  On Riviera this February and May and looking forward to the new cabin.

BTW, you no longer get a vanity mirror unless it's Concierge and above. When I called to say my mirror was missing, that's what reception said.  I thought she was kidding.  She wasn't!  A $10 mirror is now an amenity for Concierge and above.  What's next? The soap dish??

We had a vanity mirror stored below the sink on Riviera for Christmas. We didn’t have a clock, which I thought was odd. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ToxM said:

We had a vanity mirror stored below the sink on Riviera for Christmas. We didn’t have a clock, which I thought was odd. 

They could not get you a clock?

Maybe  went missing during the refit

2 hours ago, ToxM said:

5 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

5 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

We were on Marina.  Verified this info with a supervisor.  Removing a $10 mirror after 10 years and making it an upscale “amenity” is incredibly petty!  And half the bulbs on the vanity wall mirror were out.  And no announcement to booked passengers when items they’ve become accustomed to are no longer!  Same with the non-existent Oceania bags. We brought our old one and were bombarded with others asking how we gone it. 
We’ve booked primarily on Vista and Rivieria  and avoid Marina unless dates/itinerary not duplicated, until we have information when to expect the refit to be rescheduled. 

our free 20th cruise is on Riviera this May and happy it’s on the refitted ship. 

1 hour ago, Robjame said:

We are on Riviera now and there are new Oceania bags available- no idea as to how they are allocated but there are new Oceania bags on the ship.

Correction: The bags available are for Bronze Level Oceania Club. Sorry for the confusion.

Jon is right as usual.

19 hours ago, Jayne E said:

On Riviera this February and May and looking forward to the new cabin.

BTW, you no longer get a vanity mirror unless it's Concierge and above. When I called to say my mirror was missing, that's what reception said.  I thought she was kidding.  She wasn't!  A $10 mirror is now an amenity for Concierge and above

Vanity mirror reflecting clock on B3 Riviera now.

If these items are important to you I would have my TA list them with the type of soda in the fridge, distilled water for CPap, champagne bucket, etc.

image.thumb.jpeg.857813e26001533eb95c53435331b28d.jpeg

On 1/19/2023 at 3:37 AM, ToxM said:

Do you know when in '24 the refit is scheduled? Thanks!!

On 1/19/2023 at 1:28 AM, Jayne E said:

Not quite soap dish, but allowance of  one shampoo each a week in concierge on Christmas sail. ! 

3 hours ago, janecambridge said:

Not quite soap dish, but allowance of  one shampoo each a week in concierge on Christmas sail. ! 

Yes I noticed they had tightened up on handing those over 😞

23 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Really, I know people take some—but if you use it—are you saying they don’t replace an empty bottle?

It used to be that you got a new one every day, then you had to get half way down and a new one appeared, now it seems like you need to have run out and ask for one.