Had a great cruise except one incident

ShelleyQT

23 hours ago, ShelleyQT said:

We just got back from our cruise on the Beyond.  Beautiful ship and overall a great cruise!

My only complaint is that one night at dinner in the Cosmopolitan dining room, a large family group were seated near us.   As soon as they were seated, they began to play some music very loudly using a bluetooth speaker.  The whole group sang with it, as loudly as possible.  When the song was over, they continued to play music on their bluetooth.  This was very rude, and it greatly impacted the atmosphere, and our enjoyment of our dinner.

I realize the waiters are not going to want to confront, but they should have notified the maitre 'd, and then he should have done something.

Did I notify the maitre'd myself?  No.  I know better than to tattle on such a big group.  In fact, my whole point is that I should not have to tattle.  It was clear to everyone around (including many staff) what was going on, and staff should take care of this kind of thing so that guests aren't bullied into accepting such rude behavior.

I am surprised this was allowed in the MDR.  I can it happening in perhaps the buffet if a group are in the back but really the MDR.  and on Celebrity ????

You should have asked to be moved.  in fact if you get up and start to walk out they will come up and ask why and help you.   They do not want bad ratings.

1 hour ago, Bluewake said:

I can't keep from pondering "what kind of people would do that"?  Could it have been as simple as they didn't think anyone around them would mind?   Is that even possible to be so oblivious to one's surroundings?  Or, was it more that the group/family just didn't give a hoot if others in the room were bothered by their music and singing because "it's all about us and no one else matters?"  I'm seeing more CC threads about this sort of boorish behavior and already tend to avoid one cruise line in particular because of it.  We have an upcoming cruise booked on Beyond so I'd sure like to think this is an anomaly for Celebrity. 

this is why if someone does not speak up immediately, then the longer it goes the more they can say "well no one spoke up".   Gotta nip it in the bud right away.   

• Like 5

You have much more patience than I do.  I would have immediately reported it to the waiter and then the maitre'd and if it still didn't stop I would ask to be moved.  That is unbelievable. And then I would make sure I reported it to the captain's club person.   I have a friend that started doing that recently. Not at dinners but we go to watch the moon rise as often as we can and she usually comes with us.  We sit in a public place near the water and last time she brought a speaker and I was like really? I don't want to listen to your music I want to sit here in peace and quiet and watch the moon rise over the water!  UGH.

2 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I think the OP was very classy in sharp contrast to the guests with the music.  Some people are just not confrontational...I have never been described as such...in fact, I am often referred to as Southern Sassy...and would have said something is my sweetest FU southern drawl.  DH says my accent makes everything sound sweet.  OP, glad this was the only blip on your cruise!

"Well bless you heart, now the entire restaurant can listen to your music".

• Haha 9

We’ve experienced that the waiters don’t do anything because they don’t want their tips to be effected.

The M’d however is less effected and it is actually their job to do something about it.

Had an instance a few years ago where we were seated, and a couple at a nearby table was sneaking puffs from their vapes.  Waiter did nothing.  I left to take a moment, and found the M’d and e planned what happened.  He asked where, I explained, and we got to view the M’d and a security person tell them in no uncertain terms that such action was not permitted and grounds for removal from the ship. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TeaBag said:

What unbelievably rude selfish people.  I would have tolerated that for 5 seconds and then I would have gone to the Maitre'D and asked for THEM to be removed.

10 minutes ago, Algebralovr said:

We’ve experienced that the waiters don’t do anything because they don’t want their tips to be effected.

The M’d however is less effected and it is actually their job to do something about it.

Had an instance a few years ago where we were seated, and a couple at a nearby table was sneaking puffs from their vapes.  Waiter did nothing.  I left to take a moment, and found the M’d and e planned what happened.  He asked where, I explained, and we got to view the M’d and a security person tell them in no uncertain terms that such action was not permitted and grounds for removal from the ship. 

Agreed

If I was seated anywhere near that table, I would have immediately walked over to the offending table and politely asked them to turn off the speaker.  If they declined, I would have the maitre'd have them turn it off.  

I have never ran into such jerks on a cruise before.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Agreed. If no one was saying anything, the servers and the maitre'd have no way of knowing it's impacting others negatively.

I agree. I was recently in a situation where we were seated next to a couple that was clearly drunk having an extremely loud argument and  dropping “f” bombs.  I asked our server to move tables and it was no problem. The couple noticed our exit and perhaps realized they were being inappropriate and left shortly afterwards. As incredible as it maybe, that group may not have realized that they were annoying others. The staff also have no way of knowing unless someone speaks up.

• Like 4

We were on the Summit right after Christmas and noticed a young adult male in the OVC who came in without a shirt on - not even carrying a shirt. Not at the entrance - all the way in the back, so he must have passed by tons of staff to get there. He stood there for at least five minutes having a conversation with his family party and no staff approached.

I'm not sure what happened with him that day, but a couple of days later we saw the same guy in the same place shirtless again. However, this time my husband said he saw a staff member come over and we think he was asked to leave.

I was shocked he wasn't turned away at the entrance. But then again (and not trying to start a proper attire in dining room discussion) we did see people in the dining room that probably should have been turned away if Celebrity's rules were actually being followed.

15 hours ago, Bluewake said:

I can't keep from pondering "what kind of people would do that"?  Could it have been as simple as they didn't think anyone around them would mind?   Is that even possible to be so oblivious to one's surroundings?  Or, was it more that the group/family just didn't give a hoot if others in the room were bothered by their music and singing because "it's all about us and no one else matters?"  I'm seeing more CC threads about this sort of boorish behavior and already tend to avoid one cruise line in particular because of it.  We have an upcoming cruise booked on Beyond so I'd sure like to think this is an anomaly for Celebrity. 

I agree in hoping I do not see this type if behavior on the Beyond in November, that it is an anomaly. But these days who knows.  However, i could not let this behavior stand without notifying staff to act in some capacity. Stop it or move me so I can enjoy my dinner.

24 minutes ago, lorimay said:

We were on the Summit right after Christmas and noticed a young adult male in the OVC who came in without a shirt on - not even carrying a shirt. Not at the entrance - all the way in the back, so he must have passed by tons of staff to get there. He stood there for at least five minutes having a conversation with his family party and no staff approached.

I'm not sure what happened with him that day, but a couple of days later we saw the same guy in the same place shirtless again. However, this time my husband said he saw a staff member come over and we think he was asked to leave.

I was shocked he wasn't turned away at the entrance. But then again (and not trying to start a proper attire in dining room discussion) we did see people in the dining room that probably should have been turned away if Celebrity's rules were actually being followed.

Many don't like when I say the following, I have been on 8-9 X sailings at the restart, every single sailing I see shorts in the MDR and/or Blu.  It would appear the M'D crew do not care until someone complains then they'll when the offender passenger leaves, they'll ASK them to wear pants next time

I work in the transportation service industry(Amtrak dining car attendant). The dining room manager should have & could have taken control of the situation by informing the passengers politely that playing personal music in the dining room is not allowed. A firm but polite "You need to turn the music off at this time please", is simple effective communication. If then there is further push back from the passenger & not immediately complying, ship security officers addressing the passengers is the next level of involvement. 

• Like 7

On 1/16/2023 at 8:06 PM, ShelleyQT said:

Did I notify the maitre'd myself?  No.  I know better than to tattle on such a big group.  In fact, my whole point is that I should not have to tattle.  It was clear to everyone around (including many staff) what was going on, and staff should take care of this kind of thing so that guests aren't bullied into accepting such rude behavior.

You were afraid to tattle. I expect the crew members were too. Sorry but you were wrong not to complain to the maitre'd. Discreetetly  of course. You have to stand up for yourself. The dining crew is scared to rock the boat on cruise ships, That are at the passengers mercy. I have seen that happen some times so we must go to a  supervisor.  A supervisor can have security back them up if need be.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Bluewake said:

Could it have been as simple as they didn't think anyone around them would mind?  

No its all about Entitlement. They paid for the cruise, therefore, they think they can do what they want.  

• Like 6

16 hours ago, woneill63 said:

If I was seated anywhere near that table, I would have immediately walked over to the offending table and politely asked them to turn off the speaker.  If they declined, I would have the maitre'd have them turn it off.  

I have never ran into such jerks on a cruise before.

That is a bad idea. You don't want to get into a confrontation with a group. You will be outnumbered. Go to the maitre'd. If they sense a biiger issue they can call security. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Myrtle Ave. Mayhem said:

I work in the transportation service industry(Amtrak dining car attendant). The dining room manager should have & could have taken control of the situation by informing the passengers politely that playing personal music in the dining room is not allowed. A firm but polite "You need to turn the music off at this time please", is simple effective communication. If then there is further push back from the passenger & not immediately complying, ship security officers addressing the passengers is the next level of involvement. 

Good advice but I had LSA's who were just like the ship dining staff. They did not do anything. I walked into the dining car and there was a boombox  playing. No one bothered to tell the conductor. 

I find it amusing to read about things that upset people or ruined their day or cruise, only to find out that they did not do anything at the time to try to correct the offending situation.

If you accept the offending situation you have forfeited your right to complain about it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, darren42 said:

I find it amusing to read about things that upset people or ruined their day or cruise, only to find out that they did not do anything at the time to try to correct the offending situation.

If you accept the offending situation you have forfeited your right to complain about it.

Most people are passive and don't want to upset the apple cart.  If I have a valid complaint I will make it known. 

• Like 2

On 1/17/2023 at 2:21 PM, rmalbers said:

On X, Alaska cruise in the main dining room a table of maybe 8 or so had young kids who got up and ran round the table, both ways, like playing tag.  It was crazy.  On X, South American cruise there was a group of over two dozen young kids, with one adult couple, all cousins from Spain,  having lunch in the MDR.  They all ordered for themselves and had a great lunch, talking among themselves.  It's all about the parents. 

I have experienced the same thing in both the MDR and Specialty restaurants on X. Rarely but no action by any staff. 

In case of the specialty restaurant I requested a replacement meal and was told only Guest Relations could grant that. We finished our meal and left as soon as we could. The group in that Restaurant were all related to an NBA Star - I was Informed.

Recently read (can't remember whether it was cc or elsewhere) that proliferation of these bluetooth speakers has risen to the #2 complaint among cruisers, just behind chair hogs.  Rude passengers are using them poolside, in the lounges, the buffet and even the theater.  Staff is of course very reluctant to get involved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1