Izumi and dining package - found this interesting

colesc15

Found this interesting tonight at Izumi so figured I'd share. Previously with the ultimate dining, you'd get 1 small plate and 2 large plates. Those two large plates consisted of 8 pieces of sushi each. It was too much food. 

Tonight, with ultimate dining, you still get 1small plate and 2 large however each large plate is only 4 pieces now. I asked when it changed and he said about a month ago, but it only applies to the ultimate dining package. If you order and pay a la cart, you still get the 8 pieces for each large plate. 

This is on Odyssey. 4 is still plenty but another cost cut for their already increased dining package prices. 

I once posted that I believe there is an up charge for some items in some specialty restaurants using the UDP.  I didn't have all the specifics at the time.   But, I just remembered someone posted at some point earlier that they had to pay an up charge to get what they wanted or settle for something else.  Well, I got some push back, some politely and some not.  Well, I think the OP has brought to light how they are either doing the up charge or not give the UDP folks what is actually on the menu for the none UDP folks.

Also:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-the-unlimited-dining-package-include-everything-on-the-menu

Q: Will the Unlimited Dining Package include everything on the menu at a standard specialty restaurant?

A:  premium items such as the seafood tower or upgraded steaks at Chops Grille will have an upcharge. Please check with your server for more details. 

This was recently discussed on another thread. I was on the Naviator New Years sailing and had pre-purchased Izumi for the family. I asked about the 4 pieces. It had recently changed. I was told it changed over Christmas sailing. It’s not just UDP, it’s all pre-purchased at Izumi’s. 
I noticed on the Wonder that for a couple, some had an outrageous amount of food, and a lot being wasted. 

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

I once posted that I believe there is an up charge for some items in some specialty restaurants using the UDP.  I didn't have all the specifics at the time.   But, I just remembered someone posted at some point earlier that they had to pay an up charge to get what they wanted or settle for something else.  Well, I got some push back, some politely and some not.  Well, I think the OP has brought to light how they are either doing the up charge or not give the UDP folks what is actually on the menu for the none UDP folks.

Also:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-the-unlimited-dining-package-include-everything-on-the-menu

Q: Will the Unlimited Dining Package include everything on the menu at a standard specialty restaurant?

A:  premium items such as the seafood tower or upgraded steaks at Chops Grille will have an upcharge. Please check with your server for more details. 

Unfortunately the seafood tower and up-charge premium cuts of beef have been gone for a while at Chops.

11 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Unfortunately the seafood tower and up-charge premium cuts of beef have been gone for a while at Chops.

But, the policy or at least the FAQ is still there.  And it does say, "SUCH AS" which means they are merely examples.  And it could come back at anytime as written or modified and the big hint is, "Please check with your server for more details".  So, I suggest that those interested in the UDP, keep a very close eye on this and do a little research.

5 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

But, the policy or at least the FAQ is still there.  And it does say, "SUCH AS" which means they are merely examples.  And it could come back at anytime as written or modified and the big hint is, "Please check with your server for more details".  So, I suggest that those interested in the UDP, keep a very close eye on this and do a little research.

And that’s why I noted that they don’t exist.  Anyone doing research might read my comment. 

Some of the rolls are huge but some are not. I could see cutting the big ones down in size. I tend to order the seaweed first course, and share it, so the bulk of my experience there is in the main plates. It's not a deal breaker for me but I will probably order two of what I know to be big rolls to give me 8 substantial pieces.

Does anyone know if the number of sashimi pieces have also been reduced? My husband always gets that. 

13 hours ago, crzndeb said:

This was recently discussed on another thread. I was on the Naviator New Years sailing and had pre-purchased Izumi for the family. I asked about the 4 pieces. It had recently changed. I was told it changed over Christmas sailing. It’s not just UDP, it’s all pre-purchased at Izumi’s. 
I noticed on the Wonder that for a couple, some had an outrageous amount of food, and a lot being wasted. 

I agree we previously discussed this and I posted about 4 pieces of sushi back allure in dec.

It's not just udp

12 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Pro Tip:  You can "trade in" dessert for a second small plate.  🙂 

Good to know. We are on Wonder now and we also got 4 pieces on each large plate.

I don’t like their desserts, so I will ask for an extra small plate when we go for dinner on Saturday! Thanks!

• Like 1