SpaceX-Starlink

Solitarycruiser

10 hours ago, Solitarycruiser said:

Anyone know if SpaceX-Starlink has been installed on Dawn?  I am on transatlantic 23 March and would love to have that capability in the middle of the Atlantic.

Not yet according to a CC guest report on board last week. It had been suggested by the now president of SS it was going to be fitted in Fort Lauderdale in December but it unfortunately didn’t happen. Annoying as we are on the sailing immediately prior to yours.

To date, I don’t believe any ship in the fleet has a working service, though it has been guest reported it has been installed on the Muse and rumoured to be switched on at the end of March. Which will be good as our Muse sailing is 26 April.

On the SS website it says it’s the intention to have all ships fitted by the end of March, but that definitely won’t be achieved.

On the Dawn right now and something changed while we were in San Juan but I haven’t had enough coffee to figure what changed.  The Internet is working but the guest login page just sits and spins.  It is a different looking page than when we got on last week in Ft Lauderdale.  I did see two Starlink techs leave the ship in Ft Lauderdale.  Once I wake up I might ask the reception desk about the status.   

35 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

On the Dawn right now and something changed while we were in San Juan but I haven’t had enough coffee to figure what changed.  The Internet is working but the guest login page just sits and spins.  It is a different looking page than when we got on last week in Ft Lauderdale.  I did see two Starlink techs leave the ship in Ft Lauderdale.  Once I wake up I might ask the reception desk about the status.   

Oooh.... That sounds promising!

Fingers and toes crossed. Please do let us know what they let you know. 🤞

21 hours ago, Solitarycruiser said:

Anyone know if SpaceX-Starlink has been installed on Dawn?  I am on transatlantic 23 March and would love to have that capability in the middle of the Atlantic.

I have the same question re the Moon. I'm on the 16 March transatlantic.

OK…while the Internet seemed to be working better this morning it turned out to probably be too early for the folks who got on yesterday.  We did go book a trans-Panama Canal cruise for this coming December and when we were down there I asked the Reception Desk about Starlink.  Some equipment has been installed but the system isn’t up and running yet.  The ship’s staff captain was there and he said they still didn’t have a firm start up date.   

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Starlink is not without baggage.

Just sayin 

What are you sayin'? 😉

Is that a reference to Starlink owner Elon Musk, who many people are not fans of? Or the product itself?

It's worth noting that although Starlink has spent billions launching their current 3,200 or so satellites, their plans call for getting to 3 times as many, or more. And the satellites have a relatively short life (5+ years) before burning up in the atmosphere, so the cost of replacements will soon be as much as building the initial network. And the company is still losing millions of dollars a month. So it's not a sure thing Starlink will be a viable long-term solution. Many of the cruise companies are installing it, because of its promise for a marked improvement over existing satellite technology, but the long-term path remains uncertain.

Edited by cruiseej

On 1/29/2023 at 1:43 PM, irvington said:

This is really helpful, I've been wondering if I could do work email and so on from the ship.

Just off the Dawn and Starlink had not been activated so it was still the old system.  On the whole it worked though there were times when it was painfully slow.  Since we weren’t doing work or school from the ship this time we didn’t pay for the faster service.  The free standard worked for email and most website would load, though not all.   On the couple of sea days we had with 500+ passengers it would also come to a haul in the early afternoon.

• Like 2

Hopefully JJ is looking! (Would be so much more helpful if PM was possible!)

Just noticed you say you were on the Dawn currently. (I didnt want to hijack with an off topic question!)

From posts above, Starlink appears to have been fitted but not yet activated. Is that still the case?

If it is, any change you could ask at GS when its likely to be starting? I'm now T - 5 weeks, so really hopeful it's gonna happen.

3 hours ago, les37b said:

Hopefully JJ is looking! (Would be so much more helpful if PM was possible!)

Just noticed you say you were on the Dawn currently. (I didnt want to hijack with an off topic question!)

JJ?  You mean ChrisM?  

ChrisM is the only CCer on the ship at present that I know of and there hasn’t been a single post since embarkation day.  I believe the Dawn was in Ushuaia today.

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

JJ?  You mean ChrisM?  

ChrisM is the only CCer on the ship at present that I know of and there hasn’t been a single post since embarkation day.  I believe the Dawn was in Ushuaia today.

Oh I thought JJ was on the Dawn! My bad. Must be the Moon?

Moon but not till Mar 16. 
Actually in London next week. In need of real beer in real pubs. 

PS Dawn in Bequia, Moon in Ushuaia today. So, slight weather difference I expect, but indeed, not a peep from ChrisM, we don’t even know if he made it onto the Moon. 

Edited by jollyjones

1 hour ago, jollyjones said:

Moon but not till Mar 16. 
Actually in London next week. In need of real beer in real pubs. 

PS Dawn in Bequia, Moon in Ushuaia today. So, slight weather difference I expect, but indeed, not a peep from ChrisM, we don’t even know if he made it onto the Moon. 

So wrong ship and not onboard either! I'd not make a good triv partner with that kind of recollection skills! 

I'll be able to report for the Dawn as we board on the 13 March! lol  I'm not too optimistic. Annoyingly my mobile operator this time doesnt cover any of the ports without a daily upcharge which I'm fairly sure will have an awful speed and as unusable as the usual onboard internet.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

StarLink promoted to be on the Silver Shadow World Cruise '23 has been a total fiasco!

Why, because the equipment purported to be on board upon the departure from Sydney was minus a piece of equipment.

This was followed by a letter to all guests from the President of Silversea stating that the missing equipment would be delivered in Hong Kong. Followed by, yes the equipment arrived but there was neither a SpaceX- Starlink technician locally or remotely to install. Followed by the worst internet ever.

Guests have been totally frustrated along with the realization that not Silversea but Royal Caribbean is in charge of this.

Imagine, the highly promoted World Cruise.... the only World Cruise in the Royal Caribbean Group and they have either totally abandoned the World Cruise or are so incompetent to realize how frustrated and disappointed World Cruise guests are.

The letter received from the President of SS in Manila apologizing and promising installation in Hong Kong came and went and was never updated nor mentioned again, nor was the internet. 

The World Cruise is now competing its' 2nd month and nothing has been done!

Royal Caribbean are you listening?

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Capt.F said:

StarLink promoted to be on the Silver Shadow World Cruise '23 has been a total fiasco!

Why, because the equipment purported to be on board upon the departure from Sydney was minus a piece of equipment.

This was followed by a letter to all guests from the President of Silversea stating that the missing equipment would be delivered in Hong Kong. Followed by, yes the equipment arrived but there was neither a SpaceX- Starlink technician locally or remotely to install. Followed by the worst internet ever.

Guests have been totally frustrated along with the realization that not Silversea but Royal Caribbean is in charge of this.

Imagine, the highly promoted World Cruise.... the only World Cruise in the Royal Caribbean Group and they have either totally abandoned the World Cruise or are so incompetent to realize how frustrated and disappointed World Cruise guests are.

The letter received from the President of SS in Manila apologizing and promising installation in Hong Kong came and went and was never updated nor mentioned again, nor was the internet. 

The World Cruise is now competing its' 2nd month and nothing has been done!

Royal Caribbean are you listening?

I'm on board (currently in a Saigon cafe with excellent internet) and I haven't seen a letter saying it would happen after Hong Kong. I saw one apologising profusely saying they were doing all they could to remedy it. Nevertheless, I agree with the substance of your post. It is a disgrace and I feel misled. I don't have to do much online but I live in fear that I will miss an important deadline because of the appalling internet. It is worse than it was in 2019 and indeed worse than any ship I have been on in the last two decades. The troops are getting ready to mutiny!

• Thanks 1