Vaping on quantum of the seas

Kitalion

Just off quantum of the seas.  I can definitely attest that they do not enforce the no vaping (e cigs) in cabins.  My best friend and I shared a balcony room and she vaped the entire week in the room (not on the balcony or anywhere else).  I didn’t mind - I kind of like the very subtle smell.  No alarms went off or anything as the smoke deter was not set off by the very small amount of vape. AND the room attendant even saw her do it and he said as long as she doesn’t do it anywhere else like on the balcony shell be fine!!!!  So, if you have a low smoke, low smell vape you are more than likely going to be fine vaping in your cabin.  Discrete is the word tho. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

At some point in my misguided youth I may have driven a car after drinking more than I should.  No alarms went off.  No accidents occurred.  No one was hurt.  

Does that it make it appropriate to promote drinking and driving?  Or only if you are discrete about it?

• Like 46
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 2

I think it is almost impossible to catch someone vaping in their room,  the low vape smoke ones don't set off the alarms and there is no lasting smell or evidence that it was done.

I've even seen people vaping discreetly in the pub and bars, the small cig like vapes are quite easy to hide.

Not that it's right, rules are rules but I do think sometimes Vape should be treated different to smokers, though not given freedom to do what they like, I know others will disagree with me here though.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, gavvy said:

I think it is almost impossible to catch someone vaping in their room,  the low vape smoke ones don't set off the alarms and there is no lasting smell or evidence that it was done.

I've even seen people vaping discreetly in the pub and bars, the small cig like vapes are quite easy to hide.

Not that it's right, rules are rules but I do think sometimes Vape should be treated different to smokers, though not given freedom to do what they like, I know others will disagree with me here though.

Nope, smoking is smoking.  You are delusional if you think vaping is any better.  Years from now when the health issues manifest themselves, remember I said it!

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, poocher said:

Nope, smoking is smoking.  You are delusional if you think vaping is any better.  Years from now when the health issues manifest themselves, remember I said it!

There is so far Zero Evidence that vaping is as harmful as smoking. (there is some evidence that vape may cause some harm but nothing to suggest at the moment its like smoke)  I don't do either but I look at the facts, if somehow you have some information that vaping is as bad as smoking I suggest you share it in a science journal ASAP as all would be keen to hear it.

Vaping is not smoking by the way, Vape produces vape which is mainly water, smoking produces Smoke!

I prefer to look at facts to make an informed decision.  

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Kitalion said:

Just off quantum of the seas.  I can definitely attest that they do not enforce the no vaping (e cigs) in cabins.  My best friend and I shared a balcony room and she vaped the entire week in the room (not on the balcony or anywhere else).  I didn’t mind - I kind of like the very subtle smell.  No alarms went off or anything as the smoke deter was not set off by the very small amount of vape. AND the room attendant even saw her do it and he said as long as she doesn’t do it anywhere else like on the balcony shell be fine!!!!  So, if you have a low smoke, low smell vape you are more than likely going to be fine vaping in your cabin.  Discrete is the word tho. 🙂

And this makes it right?  And welcome to CC.   Great way to make an entrance.  🙄

Edited by island lady
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

I’m curious, why does it bother people if others vape in their cabins? I’ve never vaped in my life, but have been around others who do, it doesn’t bother me at all. I certainly don’t care what others do behind closed doors, especially if it doesn’t affect me at all.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gavvy said:

There is so far Zero Evidence that vaping is as harmful as smoking. (there is some evidence that vape may cause some harm but nothing to suggest at the moment its like smoke)  I don't do either but I look at the facts, if somehow you have some information that vaping is as bad as smoking I suggest you share it in a science journal ASAP as all would be keen to hear it.

Vaping is not smoking by the way, Vape produces vape which is mainly water, smoking produces Smoke!

I prefer to look at facts to make an informed decision.  

Almost all vape has nicotine ingredients. Nicotine has been proven to constrict blood vessels and your heart has blood vessels. The constriction creates an environment conducive to plaque buildup which leads to cardiovascular disease. 

John Hopkins University: Vaping is less harmful than smoking, but it is still not safe.

5 Vaping Facts You Need to Know | Johns Hopkins Medicine

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I’m curious, why does it bother people if others vape in their cabins? I’ve never vaped in my life, but have been around others who do, it doesn’t bother me at all. I certainly don’t care what others do behind closed doors, especially if it doesn’t affect me at all.

Because the air in their cabin is combined into the air conditioning system and goes to other cabins, where it is inhaled by others who do not wish to inhale the chemicals in the vape.

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Almost all vape has nicotine ingredients. Nicotine has been proven to constrict blood vessels and your heart has blood vessels. The constriction creates an environment conducive to plaque buildup which leads to cardiovascular disease. 

John Hopkins University: Vaping is less harmful than smoking, but it is still not safe.

5 Vaping Facts You Need to Know | Johns Hopkins Medicine

So you prove my point thanks, its less harmful and not the same as smoking.  No evidence of passive vape having the same issues as passive smoke too.

I know I would much rather sit near a vaper than a smoker but would prefer not to sit by either.

Chances are if you have stayed in a hotel then there is a big chance a previous customer vaped in that room.  I would imagine it happens a lot.

The bottom line is its  a new thing and there is still a lack of evidence on the long term.  However if a smoker moves to vaping then this must be welcomed.  That's why I think putting vape and smoke in the same box is counter productive and I feel for vapers being made to stand next to smokers in a designated area to vape.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Because the air in their cabin is combined into the air conditioning system and goes to other cabins, where it is inhaled by others who do not wish to inhale the chemicals in the vape.

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/causes-of-cancer/smoking-and-cancer/is-vaping-harmful#:~:text=Is passive vaping harmful%3F,is unlikely to be harmful.

Probably mis informed that there is any harm at all

Is passive vaping harmful?

There is no good evidence that second-hand vapour from e-cigarettes is harmful. As vapes are still relatively new, we can’t be sure there aren’t any long-term effects to people who breathe in someone else’s vapour. But this is unlikely to be harmful.

Passive vaping is not the same as passive smoking. This is because e-cigarettes do not contain tobacco.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, gavvy said:

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/causes-of-cancer/smoking-and-cancer/is-vaping-harmful#:~:text=Is passive vaping harmful%3F,is unlikely to be harmful.

There is no good evidence that second-hand vapour from e-cigarettes is harmful. As vapes are still relatively new, we can’t be sure there aren’t any long-term effects to people who breathe in someone else’s vapour. But this is unlikely to be harmful.

Passive vaping is not the same as passive smoking. This is because e-cigarettes do not contain tobacco.

I never said anything about it being harmful.  I just said that people may not want to inhale the chemicals it produces, possibly because of this, from the link you provided:

"E-cigarettes are not risk-free. We don't yet know their long-term effects, so people who have never smoked shouldn't use them."

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, gavvy said:

So you prove my point thanks, its less harmful and not the same as smoking.  No evidence of passive vape having the same issues as passive smoke too.

I know I would much rather sit near a vaper than a smoker but would prefer not to sit by either.

Chances are if you have stayed in a hotel then there is a big chance a previous customer vaped in that room.  I would imagine it happens a lot.

The bottom line is its  a new thing and there is still a lack of evidence on the long term.  However if a smoker moves to vaping then this must be welcomed.  That's why I think putting vape and smoke in the same box is counter productive and I feel for vapers being made to stand next to smokers in a designated area to vape.

Please do not cherry-pick my words and yes, PASSIVE VAPE is HARMFUL.

No, while being LESS harmful it is STILL harmful. Life Insurance companies, especially health insurance companies treat it as smoking. 

Passive vaping: an impending threat to bystanders - BusinessWorld Online (bworldonline.com)

Life Insurance for Vapers - Policygenius

What You Need to Know About Smoking and Health Insurance (healthmarkets.com)

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, gavvy said:

So, you admit, there might be long term harmful effects but there is not enough data to confirm their harm.  That does not prove they are safe. This sounds exactly like what the tobacco industry did for years until enough people were harmed and they were successfully sued.

• Like 6

As i said, no evidence they are, lots of evidence to say nowhere near as bad as smoking, Zero evidence passive vaping does anything as its mostly water vapour.

UK NHS recommends smokers start to vape where possible, also recommends non smokers do not start to vape. 

I just think comparing it to smoking it totally unhelpful and counter productive to those wishing to stop smoking.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, gavvy said:

As i said, no evidence they are, lots of evidence to say nowhere near as bad as smoking, Zero evidence passive vaping does anything as its mostly water vapour.

UK NHS recommends smokers start to vape where possible, also recommends non smokers do not start to vape. 

I just think comparing it to smoking it totally unhelpful and counter productive to those wishing to stop smoking.

We will have to agree to disagree. You completely disagree with my point of view and vice-a-versa. 

This conversation is getting us nowhere.

You have your opinion and I have mine.

Have a nice day. 🤐

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Why do we care? How about because the rules clearly state that VAPING IN YOUR CABIN IS NOT ALLOWED!!!  It's NOT up to you to decide if this is a good rule or not. It is a rule that RCI have clearly told you about in advance. I used to know a guy who thought 4 way stop signs were a bad idea so he ignored them. Yeah, that ended well ....

Why do people seem to feel that rules are for everyone else and not them? Selfish.

Edited by cello56
  • Like 16

5 minutes ago, cello56 said:

Why do we care? How about because the rules clearly state that VAPING IN YOUR CABIN IS NOT ALLOWED!!!  It's NOT up to you to decide if this is a good rule or not. It is a rule that RCI have clearly told you about in advance. I used to know a guy who thought 4 way stop signs were a bad idea so he ignored them. Yeah, that ended well ....

Why do people seem to feel that rules are for everyone else and not them? Selfish.

5 minutes ago, cello56 said:

Well, there is obviously no way to possibly enforce this rule, I suspect those who vape would prefer not yo be around the smokers.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cello56 said:

Agree. What you haven't heard, "rules for thee and not for me". 

• Like 4