Speciality dining fee

vickykay

Thanks everyone.  We had also tried the first night discount a while ago but only offered 8:30 and 9:00.  Too late for us.

We have a lot NR OBC which is why we were looking at the package.

2 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I'm in the Summit in Aug and checked the menu, Le Petit is $70.80 + 18% 🤔.  Did the math, the odd amount of $70.80 over $55.00 is an 28.72% increase

Absolutely NUTS that for a couple, the all in cost is $167.08

And no more lobster or filet at Le Petit.  It’s now short ribs!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

If the ship is in port for dinner, we have no problem "forfeiting" Blu/MDR dinner for a land restaurant

We overnight in Lisbon on the Apex in September and I know we can get a much better meal there, for less than what Celebrity wants for any specialty restaurant. The new specialty restaurant pricing combined with a limited OVC dinner is all part of the bean counter's plan to get more money per passenger by forcing us to use the SD venues more. Hello Oceania and Viking Ocean!

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

We overnight in Lisbon on the Apex in September and I know we can get a much better meal there, for less than what Celebrity wants for any specialty restaurant. The new specialty restaurant pricing combined with a limited OVC dinner is all part of the bean counter's plan to get more money per passenger by forcing us to use the SD venues more. Hello Oceania and Viking Ocean!

I posted about if X was indeed trying to steer folks to the specialty restaurants.  One person (Maxwell) has claimed X will follow in the MDR path of RCI and some changes are coming.  Yesterday TeeRick said he spoke to a senior officer about the OVC and said they said they're working to offer some more choices.  Not sure if either change will be enough

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dlh015 said:

They will never, ever get that money from me for 'specialty' dining. I can afford it...I just won't pay it.

Good for you, we feel the same way but unfortunately it seems the industry is heading to the point that if you want a really good dinner on a cruise ship you will need to pay ridiculous prices in a specialty restaurant on the vessel. We've been cruising since 1982 and it's a shame it's coming to this, so many changes down through the years and most of them not good. 

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, luv2camp04 said:

We've never done specialty dining, however on our upcoming cruise in March, I saw a special in the planner for Tuscan on the first night.  I think it was about $35/pp plus gratuity.  I figured that would be worth it.  However, I don't think I would ever pay $70/pp or more for specialty dining.  I'm happy with the MDR.

The First Night offer has always shown as being 8:30 only. Way too late for us.

56 minutes ago, D. B. said:

That isn't our experience, we booked Murano on Eclipse for the first night at 6:30pm, but that was about 7 months before the cruise.

Those early slots go quickly...

7 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I think that we will be eating more outside of the ship also.  We have some overnights and late departures.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

Are you serious?  Even the specialty restaurants have been downgraded?

The menu in my app shows a very downgraded menu too in Le Petit with no lobster or steak. Le Petit is joke anyway and only a lame amusement geared for kids for over $60pp.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 2

On 1/24/2023 at 6:31 PM, D. B. said:

It gets worse...When you buy a multi night dinning package Pre Cruise and go to the final payment they tack on an 18 percent gratuity.

A very thrifty friend once pointed out that the Total  Price of a Specialty Dinning Meal is also including the Price you Paid  (in your cruise fare) for the Meal you Don't Eat in the MDR or OVC ?

why would they not add the gratuity?  Yes, that has always been the case. It's an UP charge. NONE of the specialties are worth this increased fee. IMO  Quality has seriously declined.

17 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

The menu in my app shows a very downgraded menu too in Le Petit with no lobster or steak. Le Petit is joke anyway and only a lame amusement geared for kids for over $60pp.

Qsine has 3 different shows/menus (with each having its own alternate menu). I think your statement is incorrect

6 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

Qsine has 3 different shows/menus (with each having its own alternate menu). I think your statement is incorrect

The menu in my app for the Equinox in June only shows the same alternate menu every night. The Entrees shown are:

Roasted Beets Salad

Pan Seared Branzino

Cured Salmon

Braised short rib

Nothing above is worth the up charge, and is available in Luminae and Blu, so what is incorrect about my statement?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

The menu in my app for the Equinox in June only shows the same alternate menu every night. The Entrees shown are:

Roasted Beets Salad

Pan Seared Branzino

Cured Salmon

Braised short rib

Nothing above is worth the up charge, and is available in Luminae and Blu, so what is incorrect about my statement?

I like having two menus I don’t think I ever ordered from just the one . 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Roasted Beets Salad

Pan Seared Branzino

Cured Salmon

Braised short rib

My most recent cruise (on Equinox) the app was wrong.

12 hours ago, D. B. said:

We booked the 1st night for Tuscan and had a choice of 6:30, 8 or8:30.  We normally have dinner at 8 so time worked for us.

21 hours ago, luv2camp04 said:

We've never done specialty dining, however on our upcoming cruise in March, I saw a special in the planner for Tuscan on the first night.  I think it was about $35/pp plus gratuity.  I figured that would be worth it.  However, I don't think I would ever pay $70/pp or more for specialty dining.  I'm happy with the MDR.

Just wait.  I am sure Celebrity has more plans to challenge you in that.

5 hours ago, jelayne said:

We booked the 1st night for Tuscan and had a choice of 6:30, 8 or8:30.  We normally have dinner at 8 so time worked for us.

I'm glad others have been able to get the 6:30 dinning time.     

Maybe I have been waiting to close to the sailing date and it is always filled?