The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday January 27th, 2023

rafinmd

After three years of pretty much staying home I seem to have lost my shopping vibe. Was going to go to the mall today to walk but really don’t want to face people, even with a mask. The roads and sidewalks are too slippery to walk outside safely. 

when I had my pandemic hair cut in November I donated the hair to a charity that makes wigs for cancer patients. It takes a lot of hair to make one wig so every little bit helps.

prayers for those that need them and a celebratory shout out to people celebrating. I hope we hear from @Scrapnanasoon. As well as @JAM37and @st. Louis sal (can’t get the blue bubble, darn)

• Like 22

1 hour ago, Rowsby said:

Glad you asked....I'm curious about the "seaweed" thing too....!!

And now....we definitely need a picture of your 1750's gown and wig.....:)

Here’s one of them. This was my first one, made from drapery silk I got DTLA some 18 years ago. I think it was like $6/ yard, and it took 10 yards. I ended going back and finding a companion fabric a few months later for the stomacher. It was the most I had ever spent on a gown at that time, and with the time expended, I decided it was worth it to go with good fabrics. I don’t have “anonymous” pictures of the other 2.

45415268-F71C-4D9D-A4C3-31C8E81FAF91.thumb.jpeg.2941eb442f1960d26d9a40c1ff418779.jpeg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 6

4 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I love chocolate cake, never had to punch a clock, and worked with a few who thought they were big wigs.  LOL

It's good to be back - I pretty much disconnected from electronics for the past 3+ weeks.  The only thing I'd do onboard is check in on FB every morning, post a photo of my door sign, and put the iPad away.  There was more than enough to do on the ship and on shore to keep me happy.

I had the opportunity to meet and visit with the lovely Joy @Seasick Sailor and her sweet DH Allan.  I wish we had more time with them, but we were traveling with friends who hadn't been to most of the places, so our time was limited.

639602800_CruiseFriends.jpg.e39c5318b7202773560494078bae7ae2.jpg

I know today is also Holocaust Survivors Day, so will include them and all who experienced that horrible episode in our history in my prayers.  

I can see I have a lot of catch-up reading to do; there seems to have been a lot of things I've missed here on the Daily.  To everyone who has had a birthday or anniversary, I send you my cheers; to all who have had losses in their lives, please know my heart is with you.

Oh, some news that might make a few of my CC friends happy:  The Rotterdam has drink runners!!!   We had the most entertaining sweet guy (Anthony) deliver our drinks on the upper dining area every night - he said they were brought back because the table servers were run off their feet.  

We returned home a day later than planned due to a snow storm in Toronto; we were able to get out before it totally socked in, and were routed to Calgary where we got a hotel by the airport for about 4 hours sleep, then back home yesterday.  Sochi was a chatterbox from the moment we walked through the door until we put her to bed last night.  I'm pretty sure she'll be attached to me like velcro for the next few days.  LOL

After all that wonderful cruise food, it's hard to even think about cooking, but of course it's Friday, so I get the night off.  We'll check the online menus to see what appeals to us and enjoy pizza at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers to all who are in need, Woo Hoo to all who are celebrating.  It feels good to be back here.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Great photo of the three of you Gerry,Joy and Allen.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, iluvthe-c said:

Good morning.  New to HAL and new to (and appreciative of) the Daily Fleet Reports.  Are all the daily meal, cocktail, and wine recommendations available on HAL ships?  

Welcome to the group!

I do not believe all the wines du jour and meals are available on HAL ships. I would think most drinks would be, though they might not have the exact brand of liquor. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks all!  Almost visited Taiwan but cancelled and went to Japan instead.  

I have read so many books about the holocaust,  May I recommend Frankl’s a man’s search for meaning.    And the Tattooist of Auschwitz and the book thief.  The human spirit is amazing. 

@TiogaCruiser simply beautiful!  Well maybe not so simply😉

95374A93-D4A3-429E-ADB4-E5FC65DABEEB.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kochleffel said:

As Graham posted early today on yesterday's Daily, today is International Holocaust Remembrance Day. It was established by the United Nations in 2005. Israel introduced the resolution but observes Yom HaZikaron laShoah ve-laG'vurah, "Holocaust and Heroism Remembrance Day," as a legal holiday in the spring.

Some countries observe yet other dates. For example, France marks July 16, the anniversary of the mass arrest of Jews in Paris, and Latvia marks July 4, the anniversary of the burning of the Great Choral Synagogue in Riga.

We had the privilege of a guided tour of Auschwitz and Birkenau on one of our visits to Krakow Poland and it was an experience we will never forget.

Graham 

• Like 14

7 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Today is Chocolate Cake Day, Punch the Clock Day, and National Big Wig Day

3 hours ago, kochleffel said:

As Graham posted early today on yesterday's Daily, today is International Holocaust Remembrance Day.

To these I would like to add:

• Today is Mozart's Birthday.
  • Today is Berserker Day.

To wine geeks Berserker Day approaches the level of a holy day of obligation.  It is the anniversary of the "birth" of Wine Berserkers which is a very popular internet site for wine geeks--the wine geeks' analog to Cruise Critic.

Named "The Black Friday of Wine Commerce" by Forbes magazine, everyone is invited to go Berserkers and celebrate their love of wine on January 27th. Wineries, retailers and other peddlers in the wine world offer unique deals for this one day, the 14th anniversary of the Wine Berserkers on line Forum. This offer is open to everyone. Offers are released in small groups throughout the day on Friday morning beginning at 7:30 am Pacific.

This is really a terrific opportunity for guys like me to pick up terrific deals from old favorite wineries or to check out new smaller wineries.

So far today I have grabbed a library vertical 3-pack of Petite Sirah and a 4-pack of wines made from Portuguese grape varieties.

I was telling my non-wine-drinking coffee shop buddy about Berserker Day, and he commented that Cruise Critic should do something similar.  I think he has something.

Edited by XBGuy
Hit "Post
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 3

I would like to clarify today's location listed a Hualien, Taiwan, China because a few people mentioned that they had never been to or want to visit China.  It should be listed as Hualien, Taiwan, Republic of China.  Taiwan is not a part of and never has been part of Communist China.  You need a passport to visit China; none is needed for Taiwan.  

Ray

• Like 15
  • Thanks 9

2 hours ago, iluvthe-c said:

Good morning.  New to HAL and new to (and appreciative of) the Daily Fleet Reports.  Are all the daily meal, cocktail, and wine recommendations available on HAL ships?  

Sending you a big welcome.

Graham.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

Welcome back Roy. Hope you are feeling better.

Thanks for the Fleet update and general info.

Punch the clock day. I do that almost everyday when my clock alarm goes off at 5 am every morning. You can’t imagine how many clocks I go through each year.

Cruising update: Day 3 of 7 cruising along strip in LasVegas. Today me and Misses stop off in Paris and go to the top of the Eiffel Tower. Instead of looking down at the Seine River we are looking down at Sin City 😀.

FB_IMG_1674728747391.jpg.a6e4b6be4b3b03e4e6591b165a48276a.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 14

If you are in Washington DC, I encourage you to visit the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum.

I taught Night to my 10th grade World Literature students and afterwards we would visit the museum.  I don’t know if you can imagine what the usual field trip is like with high school students.  Many students are loud and unfocused; this was true of our hour long bus ride to DC.  But the moment we entered the museum, a hush came over them.  They were engaged;  they could see what they had read.  The shoes, the train, the crematorium …the bus ride home was always silent.  I have been to the museum more than 10 times and it still makes an impact.  This is a poster from the museum gift shop.

7BA31F75-332C-4E1B-9B08-96CE9B4D141F.jpeg.8015af75610d4d729fa45e9b1818c36e.jpeg

https://www.ushmm.org/

Edited by 0106
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 11

1 hour ago, cruising sister said:

As promised I had a big piece of chocolate cake. Now off for a nap!

7DDE38FA-A290-42C2-8E7E-802239BA372D.jpeg

That looks so good but it would probably put me in a sugar coma.  Glad you could enjoy it.

I think I am done painting the bedroom except for a little touch up here and there.  That will come tomorrow. Then I can put the room back together.

Edited by dfish
  • Like 18

4 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Here’s one of them. This was my first one, made from drapery silk I got DTLA some 18 years ago. I think it was like $6/ yard, and it took 10 yards. I ended going back and finding a companion fabric a few months later for the stomacher. It was the most I had ever spent on a gown at that time, and with the time expended, I decided it was worth it to go with good fabrics. I don’t have “anonymous” pictures of the other 2.

45415268-F71C-4D9D-A4C3-31C8E81FAF91.thumb.jpeg.2941eb442f1960d26d9a40c1ff418779.jpeg

That is amazing......I love this era....!!!

What venue.....and are you still participating....??

• Like 10

Good afternoon.  Today turned out a little different than expected.  We drove over to W-M to get a battery for one of the cars.  While DH took care of the battery, I did some grocery shopping for items our local store doesn't carry.  I also got my second shingles vaccine shot.  I predict tomorrow will be a quiet day.

Since DH had to move the car to the parking lot after the battery was installed, he decided to drive home.  With the exception of a couple of golf cart rides, he hadn't driven since the first surgery on October 11.  Another step forward in his recovery.  

The temperature reached 62F, and with the sun, my walk today was pleasant. 

The cake was baked before we left, and now I'm waiting for the frosting to cool and thicken enough to spread on the cake.  Since we both like a lot of icing, I made 1 1/2 batches so there is enough to cover the sides of the cake.  I know that's not the traditional way German chocolate cakes are frosted, but it's how we like it.

10 hours ago, rothbury said:

Good morning.  I believe all of the Nieuw Statendam stops at Key West were either cancelled or changed this season.  I'm pretty sure it will be in Nassau today.

Welcome to the Daily.  We are a friendly, supportive group, and hope you join us often.

7 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning to all,

I resolving to try to post every day before I get busy.

I got a lot of paperwork done yesterday and have more to do today.  Hope to finish this morning.

Then I have a few boxes to tackle.  The contractor has agreed to put up all the brackets for our curtains/window treatments that were taken down during the painting.  Plus mirrors and pictures.  Big job for us, but not so for him and his crew.  Big relief for us.

I admit, I did not find the time to read all the posts of the past week or so.  I will try to catch up.  It will take a while.  Maybe when I am on the cruise.

@smitty34877just the mention of Greenwich Village put a smile on my face.  Oh, how I miss New York.  Having lived in the Village for part of my life, it brings back many fond memories. While living in the South has its benefits, there is no place like New York.

@rafinmdthank you for the lists and I hope you are feeling better.

@grapau27I did see where Sarah had her injections.  Hope she is doing well.

@Seasick Sailor and @ger_77how nice that you were able to meet and spend some time together on your cruise.

@kazu Hope your arm is healing.  Sorry you had to have a second surgery.

Prayers to all who are remembering loved ones on Holocaust Remembrance Day.

Prayers for all on this list, whether you need them or not.

God Bless,

Terri

Terri, that is good news the contractor agreed to reinstall all the window hardware for you, along with the pictures and mirrors.  Sounds like you're making good progress on the paperwork.

7 hours ago, kochleffel said:

Soon there will be no survivors left to speak.

Have you seen the film Denial? It's based on Deborah Lipstadt's book History on Trial: My Day in Court with a Holocaust Denier, an account of defending a British libel suit after she called David Irving a Holocaust denier. Survivors wanted to testify in the trial, but British lawyers advised Lipstadt against that, believing that there was a defense more likely to succeed.

She won the case, with the result that there is a court decision affirming that the Holocaust occurred. The judge's opinion (it was a bench trial) states, "Having considered the various arguments advanced by Irving to assail the effect of the convergent evidence relied upon by the Defendants, it is my conclusion that no objective, fair-minded historian would have serious cause to doubt that there were gas chambers at Auschwitz and that they were operated on a substantial scale to kill hundreds of thousands of Jews."

I haven't seen the movie, and thanks for the information.

7 hours ago, iluvthe-c said:

Welcome to the Daily. We hope you'll join this friendly group often.

6 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

You had me at chocolate cake. It's the only kind of cake I'll eat.   I won't be having any today though because we just finished the DElicious mini chocolate cake DH brought me 2 days ago for my birthday.  Best of all, it was chocolate frosting and chocolate cake. It required extra time on the treadmill but was worth it!!   Haven't punched a clock in many years, and never had a big wig.  I'm guessing it's of the hair variety because it's 2 words and not one...🤷‍♀️

Love the quote, would try the drink and wine, but pass on the meal and stick to my own stuffed peppers.  Never have been to China.

Yesterday I bundled up and got out into the yard to do some garden cleanup.  It felt good (but cold) to get out there and see signs of spring.  The crocus and other bulbs are peeking out and the hellebore is blooming.  When I was out I saw my neighbor who came home to bring a few items home -- she'll be able to move back into her house this weekend.  It's been 3 months since the tree came through her roof -- a long time.  Once the workers could get started it took only 6 weeks to get everything done, but the insurance company dragged its feet the first month.

Today is our DD's 44th birthday, and also their next-to-last day in Thailand. If the flights are on time they should be home early Sunday morning.   It will be good to have them home, but they've had an amazing time!

Roy @rafinmdgood to see that you're feeling better this morning!

Gerry @ger_77Welcome back!  I guess I didn't get enough sleep, at first I read "drunk runners" instead of "drink runners"  😂

Annie @marshhawk That's sad about Fawn...I wonder too if it's some kind of kitty dementia.  Or could she possibly be diabetic?  My buddy cat Jinx who passed away last month was diabetic and sadly would get very confused when his blood sugar was low.

Welcome to the Daily @rothburyand @iluvthe-c!

Carolyn, good for you tackling the yard work.  Please wish your DD A VERY HAPPY  44TH BIRTHDAY   for us.  I hope they have a safe flight home.

5 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning.  The chocolate cake sounds wonderful, but I had better give it a pass. Still cold here with a high predicted of 28F and it was 6 when the little dogs and I went out for our morning walk. We are very limited in our walking area as the snow and ice are still around and block progress... we just circle round and round the driveway and parking area. I hope Monday's weather gives us a miss. Just paid off the snow plow . I try to keep up because I know some of his other jobs hold off payment until the end of the season despite his billing them weekly ... but he and his family need to eat.

@kazuI really hope that something can be done to make you more comfortable and lessen the pain. And hoping that Tana, Sarah and Kathi  and others with health issues are doing well- and that includes the furry ones like Fawn. Sounds like she is pretty uncomfortable. Colds and flu are going around here and I am just staying away from crowds as much as possible. I have a coffee cup with the Grinch on it saying "Today I am only talking to my dog". But I may spring for a carryout order  from Applebees tonight.... I am really tired of my own cooking.

When I worked at Johns Hopkins University Library in the late 1950's we had a number of Holocaust survivors among our staff. They did not talk much about their experiences, but one did have one positive incident. One staff member had been a teenager and had been sheltered by neighbors when her parents were taken away while she was not at home.  She later came with those people to the U.S.  and had been here a number of years and was working at Hopkins when she found out that her parents had survived and had just arrived in New York!!!  Speak about a happy reunion. She went straight from work to the train to go to New York... did not even stop to pack a bag.

Susan

Susan, what a great story about the staffer being reunited with her family.  It was nice of the neighbors who sheltered her to bring her with them to the US.

4 hours ago, superoma said:

After three years of pretty much staying home I seem to have lost my shopping vibe. Was going to go to the mall today to walk but really don’t want to face people, even with a mask. The roads and sidewalks are too slippery to walk outside safely. 

when I had my pandemic hair cut in November I donated the hair to a charity that makes wigs for cancer patients. It takes a lot of hair to make one wig so every little bit helps.

prayers for those that need them and a celebratory shout out to people celebrating. I hope we hear from @Scrapnanasoon. As well as @JAM37and @st. Louis sal (can’t get the blue bubble, darn)

Eva, what a nice thing to do, donating your hair to make wigs for cancer patients.

4 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

That is a awesome dress and wig.

4 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

I would like to clarify today's location listed a Hualien, Taiwan, China because a few people mentioned that they had never been to or want to visit China.  It should be listed as Hualien, Taiwan, Republic of China.  Taiwan is not a part of and never has been part of Communist China.  You need a passport to visit China; none is needed for Taiwan.  

Ray

Ray, thanks for reminding everyone that Taiwan is not part of China.

34 minutes ago, dfish said:

That looks so good but it would probably put me in a sugar coma.  Glad you could enjoy it.

I think I am done painting the bedroom except for a little touch up here and there.  That will come tomorrow. Then I can put the room back together.

Debbie, good for you!

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Hi!  We went grocery shopping in Niagara Falls before I had a chance to post this morning.  There was a LOT to put away after we got home.  There are some hidden gems for locals in such a tourist-y city.  There is a really old grocery store that has amazing meat, so we stocked up as we hadn't been there for a couple of months. Then I went to knitting this afternoon.  Now we have had supper and I don't expect any more interruptions in my regular schedule.

@ger_77 welcome back from your cruise! 

@iluvthe-c welcome to one of the nicest threads on CC.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Today is our DD's 44th birthday, and also their next-to-last day in Thailand. If the flights are on time they should be home early Sunday morning.   It will be good to have them home, but they've had an amazing time!

Happy Birthday to your DD

85359457-640F-4A84-A54A-46C3462BD72F.gif.1c1592f70ddfdf4b09bcc6845399a35f.gif

8 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Too late to edit my previous post, but I wanted to add that Rotterdam VII has an actual library!!!  It's self-serve, with about 10 chairs (which were always occupied), with a small, but varied selection of books.  I always like to read at the end of the day, so I went through 3 novels during our time on the ship.   It also has a section where guests can leave a book for others to enjoy when they are finished with them.  

Yay - good news!

7 hours ago, iluvthe-c said:

Welcome to the Daily 🙂 

No, all the meal and wine selections are not available on HAL.  They would have to humungous ships to hold all the wine choices - not to mention sone of the food,  😉 

7 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning Everyone, it was an early start to the day.  I took DH for his colonoscopy and we returned a short bit ago.  They found two polyps and they removed them.  He will get the results in about two weeks.  

Prayers for good results and that they are all benign,  🙏🏻 

5 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Exquisite!  WOW!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, cruising sister said:

As promised I had a big piece of chocolate cake. Now off for a nap!

7DDE38FA-A290-42C2-8E7E-802239BA372D.jpeg

I’ve asked for it before, and we still need it- a “Wow!” Emoji. I’ll take a slice.

1 hour ago, Rowsby said:

That is amazing......I love this era....!!!

What venue.....and are you still participating....??

Thanks.

I belong to a costuming group based in the greater LA Area. We sometimes (not as often now) attend events in “period attire.” (I actually rather bristle when people call my clothes “costumes”.) Sometimes we’re invited to events to do “background”. I’ve been fortunate to attend several exhibit opening events for members only, to provide atmosphere.

This was a Christmas concert of Handel’s Messiah held at the Nixon, in the East Room (Federal Period or Georgian era, depending on point of reference). A group of several of us attended in Georgian attire, as requested by the organizer. Then we went to a local restaurant, where we created a bit of a stir. All in fun. (We got manager approval and he reserved a table for us- booths are just not compatible with sacque-back and trained gowns. Not to mention side-hoops.)

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Since DH had to move the car to the parking lot after the battery was installed, he decided to drive home.  With the exception of a couple of golf cart rides, he hadn't driven since the first surgery on October 11.  Another step forward in his recovery.  

oh my gosh, when reading this, I thought you were going to say your DH drove all the way home before he realized you were still at the WM!  LOL

Thanks to everyone for all the welcome back comments, it’s nice to have been missed!

• Like 10
  • Haha 6

It's been  an interesting  week and not in a good way.  No real progress today and to top it off returning from the fire house I took a spill bringing my trash can back to the house.  I don;t think there;s major damage but I'm very banged up, especially my right hand and elbow.  The one good thing is that I did finish preparing the 1099'd for the fire house.

Roy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 17

9 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

It's been  an interesting  week and not in a good way.  No real progress today and to top it off returning from the fire house I took a spill bringing my trash can back to the house.  I don;t think there;s major damage but I'm very banged up, especially my right hand and elbow.  The one good thing is that I did finish preparing the 1099'd for the fire house.

Roy

Oh no!  I'm so sorry!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Roy! Perhaps trying to do too much, too soon? 🤔

• Like 5