LIVE - Beyond 1/29/2023 - Live Blog, Cat Blog, Vlog!

David Kane

Day 4 - Night 4

I know, I know - you're looking for Eden food pictures. SO AM I. Apparently, Eden is dark, and this isn't exactly a modern device I am blogging on, so everything served, which was quite wonderful, photographed like Hot Black Desiado's Space Ship*. Notes as follows:

A) Because the chef and their team are literally right in front of you, pretty much everything can be customized around allergens or dietary restrictions. For XZ they even went so far as to change the stock on the soup from a chicken to a vegetable base - quite a nice gesture. They even serve Vegan butter.

B) I went the Seafood Route, with Crab, Shrimp and Lobster. All were excellently prepared and served with impeccable timing, which is saying something as there were at least a dozen other tables of diners.

C) Perhaps due to the ship not being at 100% capacity there was still seating available throughout the evening - which, by the way, takes about 2 hours and 15 minutes.

After Eden we did a quick tour of the ship, stopping briefly by the Martini Bar for this, um, NSFW drink descrption:

20230201_205308.thumb.jpg.bdfb4c05457352e07c52b5b83ce76e5b.jpg

Before heading right back to Eden for their first show of the cruise. As previously noted, when the cast puts on their (single) show of the night, the venue fills up FAST. One really has to get there about 45 minutes early to secure prime seating. We...did not, and ended up standing in the back, viewing the wonderful production from Between Two Ferns which, given the theming, wasn't too shabby! And thus ends Day 4:

20230201_231135.thumb.jpg.62964663c7616b3ae5a1fc581f2e67d6.jpg

*From Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy: "It's the weird contrast that gets me; you press a black button on a black background and little black light lights up to let you know you've done it."

• Like 2

Day 5 Preview, of sorts

A note from a question above: We are in no way paid influencers...or even unpaid influencers for that matter. Our most-viewed video is me drinking water right now because metadata and analytics are very weird sometimes.

In addition; it is kind of surpring they chose to name the on-board Men's Boutique after heavily scarred WWE wrestler Mick Foley, but there you have it:

20230202_125509.thumb.jpg.4de8729bf5970b49f65e5eb382fc36dc.jpg 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, David Kane said:

A) Because the chef and their team are literally right in front of you, pretty much everything can be customized around allergens or dietary restrictions. For XZ they even went so far as to change the stock on the soup from a chicken to a vegetable base - quite a nice gesture. They even serve Vegan butter.

I have often wondered this and this is totally not the appropriate place to ask but I'm going to anyway, is "vegan butter" just the margarine of our youth that we all found out was not actually good for you?

Or is it some new thing?

And yes, I'm still following along on Day 4 or 5 and really enjoying the review so thanks.  Feel free to post more cat photos.

• Like 1

Aloha. Enjoying your reports, pictures and appreciate your response to my inquiry.  I totally love your outfits and choice of attire.  I remember a TA on the Queen Mary 2 and a couple wore victorian era dress the entire voyage.

All the best!

This is a little off the subject.  We are in an Aqua Suite on March 5.  Is there any easy way to have a quiet glass of wine or evening liquor in your room without having to purchase a whole bottle.  Can you take a glass from the bar to the room.  Celebrity used to be kind of strict.  The package we have is premium.  Being in Aqua Suite, we do not have a bar in the room.  Thank you for your blog.  It is very inciteful and entertaining.

10 minutes ago, Rable1 said:

This is a little off the subject.  We are in an Aqua Suite on March 5.  Is there any easy way to have a quiet glass of wine or evening liquor in your room without having to purchase a whole bottle.  Can you take a glass from the bar to the room.  Celebrity used to be kind of strict.  The package we have is premium.  Being in Aqua Suite, we do not have a bar in the room.  Thank you for your blog.  It is very inciteful and entertaining.

Of course you can! When was that ever an issue on Celebrity? 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Rable1 said:

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

Maybe it was never an issue but @Rable1 only has 8 posts so they are probably new to Celebrity and Cruise Critic and just asked a question for information.

And yes, you can get drinks and bring them back to your room.  If you want something in a can or bottle for later you can just tell the bartender not to open it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rable1 said:

We cruised on Celebrity over 10 times (and booked 2 more for 2024 and 2025).  You always may take your drink from a bar or a restaurant anywhere you like on the ship.

3 hours ago, Rable1 said:

They are strict on the Ridel glassware they use in the dining area. But if you want to bring a glass of wine out, just ask and they will refill in a glass you are allowed to take out of the dining room🙃

Never a problem😉

• Like 1

Day 5 - Around and About

Up on time (!) and out on to the jogging track which is quickly becoming my favorite feature of this ship. A go around at  walking pace is about 4 minutes; so your mile is a good 20 - 25 minute investment that pays off in spades.

Gere are the dailies:

20230203_100726.thumb.jpg.94c4250a3166ab852fac130d5134f6aa.jpg

20230203_100732.thumb.jpg.c53e31ca77caada0920a4c33a53eae06.jpg

20230203_100743.thumb.jpg.a3fa28195063bf0281a203224ea50bd7.jpg

20230203_100749.thumb.jpg.0ffedc8bd4d5bb1b79b9132e5c6af956.jpg

Day 5 - Quick Follow Ups

1) According to XZ is may be a case of Square is a Rectangle but a Rectangle is not a square - or rather, putting the Chicken before the 'Just Egg.' Magarine is Vegan, but Vegan Butter, such as Oleo, can be made from any amount of vegetable oils. XZ guesses the 'Vegan Butter' in Eden was likely a Olive Oil base.

2) In re: to taking wine (or other drinks) around the ship, I believe one is always in the clear, pending some TA or repositioning cruises where beverage packages are not included as part of the AI price, where certain complimentary drinks, such as those served in the Retreat Lounge, should generally be consumed there. However, I also feel this information is pre-COVID, pre-revolution on the older ships, and pre-Captain's Club happy hour being available at any bar for a select time nightly. So, for the definitive answer, I'd direct you towards someone far more knowledgable that I - if I see an officer with an unhelpful level of expertise, such as the ship Horticulturalist whom we met today, I will be sure to ask them.

2A) OH! As noted above, there indeed may be something to do with certain stem-ware. I know it is helpful to let the World Class Bartenders know if you plan on ordering take away - they like to hang on to their stemware and rocks glasses from what I remember.

2B) Alternatively, you could just bring onboard and cosume your 2 bottles of wine if you don't have to pack them in your checked bagged.*

*If you DO pack them, remember never to label anything as "Fragile." In fact, when shipping ANYTHING, via plane or post, that 'Fragile' label is the first item thrown off the conveyor when an emaployee is having a rotten day.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, David Kane said:

In re: to taking wine (or other drinks) around the ship, I believe one is always in the clear, pending some TA or repositioning cruises where beverage packages are not included as part of the AI price, where certain complimentary drinks, such as those served in the Retreat Lounge, should generally be consumed there. However, I also feel this information is pre-COVID, pre-revolution on the older ships, and pre-Captain's Club happy hour being available at any bar for a select time nightly. So, for the definitive answer, I'd direct you towards someone far more knowledgable that I - if I see an officer with an unhelpful level of expertise, such as the ship Horticulturalist whom we met today, I will be sure to ask them.

MAYBE what the OP of the question was referring to was the Elite Happy Hour when it was held in the Sky Lounge. During that event it was frowned upon to take out the drinks from the event, it was meant for consumption within the Sky Lounge. That restriction was rendered moot when the Elite HH became available at all bars. TBH I don't know of ANY of the mainstream cruiselines that restrict you from taking drinks from a public bar to your room. That wouldn't make any sense. 

On 2/2/2023 at 2:42 PM, David Kane said:

Day 5 Preview, of sorts

A note from a question above: We are in no way paid influencers...or even unpaid influencers for that matter. Our most-viewed video is me drinking water right now because metadata and analytics are very weird sometimes.

In addition; it is kind of surpring they chose to name the on-board Men's Boutique after heavily scarred WWE wrestler Mick Foley, but there you have it:

20230202_125509.thumb.jpg.4de8729bf5970b49f65e5eb382fc36dc.jpg 

I  believe MANKIND  the store....was instead of  Tiffany's along the corridor to EDEN.. It had a very small selection at inflated prices...much like other stores on board. DH said nothing caught his eye..at any price!

That area would have made a nice  little wine bar or Specialty Coffees....wonder how well it will do there?

Edited by hcat

You can take drinks from anywhere, including the retreat lounge. Just be thoughtful and ask for a to-go glass. You can also ask to substitute wine for the sparkling wine in your cabin.

The biggest risk in the retreat lounge with to-go is that will pour a double.

Edited by cruzzzinma

31 minutes ago, hcat said:

That area would have made a nice  little wine bar or Specialty Coffees....wonder how well it will do there?

I had thought the same about putting a bar there before World Class was added. 

Day 5 - Chair Rating plus All Eden, All the Time

After our daily visit to Rolly's Bar we headed out to begin our triumphant return to our hobby of Chair Rating! Below are some of the results, mainly concentrated around the Lobby area around Guest Services, where one might spend some time.

20230202_115841.thumb.jpg.ea0fac2a76dd46c1335f08dab12ae076.jpg

20230202_115911.thumb.jpg.38c58f9d144287a13ea0d7e5324c3961.jpg

20230202_115955.thumb.jpg.3a4292c63ccc1fb9ee672e1d88852e3a.jpg

20230202_120030.thumb.jpg.7ffdefafb273bd6a048c74bd24b0aa95.jpg

20230202_120100.thumb.jpg.fd97be2051f0f8abea66526afb90a4c1.jpg

20230202_120152.thumb.jpg.d61bf5a468ae934cbd60b2d850a60619.jpg

We then found ourselves at the Eden Cafe for lunch. On the way there, these chairs proved to be a rather formidable challenge:

20230202_121125.thumb.jpg.5763ee70185672637ca38be924cf49e2.jpg

20230202_121237.thumb.jpg.608e524ea487786193a31f7c75d29fa3.jpg

This gummy chair, in particular, is beautifully woven and likely an intriguing joy to children, teens, and admirerererers of 80s stretch bracelets. But man, is it tough to get into and get out of!

Now, this walk and resultant decks are an interesting little venue with a ton of space surroudning it. For instance, if you don't wish to do Luke's run at the Death Star, you can actually walk out onto a totally underutilized deck space (I'll post a picture of it tomorrow - it is ashtonishing how big this deck space that could TOTALLY be a pair of shuffleboard courts) and walk around the back of Eden and back inside where, if you look closely enough around a politely obscuring corner you can find a statue of Boy with Apple riding a Horse that is busy...uh, um, I...I don't think I'm allow to post what is appears to be doing.

Likewise, the Eden Cafe is an intriguing space that is closed off at night so the cast can utilize it as their backstage space (as their traditional backstage is, you know, the Bar). The cafe has numerous small plate offerings that are made to order and are complimentary. This is a dining place that feels like it should be an upcharge, but isn't. Given the hand made-to-order quality here it is definitely worth a visit. Also, it has what have been described as the best cookies on the ship. Perhaps Celebrity is using this as a way to entice people to go to the Eden Restaurant? Suffice to say it is worth the experience, despite the limited hours, and it may quickly because your favorite space, with ample seating both inside and out and a buzzer to summon you back when your food is ready.

• Haha 1

On 2/2/2023 at 12:41 AM, David Kane said:

Miller High Life (The Champagne of Beers!) 

whoa they have high life? Ask for one with an oz of Campari poured in. The bartender who described this to me called it a no-groni.

1 hour ago, RhondaPerr said:

Do you know if they offered luggage Valet Service? 

Luggage Valet was discontinued pre-covid when the company went out of business.  The only port that offers similar is Seattle where it is offered by the Port.

Your chair rating is fascinating. Ever since my husband had a somewhat failed hip replacement 2.5 years ago (now awaiting corrective surgery), we’ve spent a bunch of time on cruises (and in restaurants on land) trying to find what works for him.  This involves lots of trial and error with much shuffling from chair to chair and with scary moments where his attempts to get up from chair “failures” seems on the brink of upsetting tables around us. I never knew how critical the correct chair choice could be! So many lovely looking chairs are massive fails from an accessibility perspective…sigh..

Edited by catgirl411
  • Like 5

Enjoying your posts. Please hang in there till your final day.

We have had a few Royal cruises, and are considering giving Celebrity a try.

I assume that Celebrity:Royal as Cadillac:Chevy. Please tell me if I'm wrong.

We're just off the Wonder, Royals' newest ship. Interestingly, the Wonder had the best jogging track we've encountered at sea. Deck 5, encircled entire ship. I recall 2.4 laps = 1 mile.

My question is in regards to the Solarium. It was big and beautiful - but stuffy. Humid. Never able to last more than 1 hour. Very few windows that could open. Similar on Beyond?