HOTELS AROUND JFK

Lois R

Hello friends, I need a hotel for 1 night upon returning home from a cruise in April. Yes, I have researched this on line but I thought I would post the question on here and see what recommendations I can receive from those "in the know".  I looked at the TWA HOTEL inside the airport but I really don't want to spend $400.00+ for one night. 

It looks like many of the major chains are nearby with shuttle services to and from the airport.  Any help you might provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks🙂

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

I looked at the TWA HOTEL inside the airport but I really don't want to spend $400.00+ for one night. 

Thats a shame they are so expensive that night-- usually is a bit less. Very worthwhile place-- we really enjoyed our night there a few months ago. Even if you stay elsewhere take an Uber over for a drink or bite to eat to see it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hello friends, I need a hotel for 1 night upon returning home from a cruise in April. Yes, I have researched this on line but I thought I would post the question on here and see what recommendations I can receive from those "in the know".  I looked at the TWA HOTEL inside the airport but I really don't want to spend $400.00+ for one night. 

It looks like many of the major chains are nearby with shuttle services to and from the airport.  Any help you might provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks🙂

For as long as I can remember the standard advice was to not stay at any of the hotels in the immediate JFK area...even if they were part of the major chains...because they were used by the city to house people who were temporarily homeless. This tended to result in an  environment where it was difficult to get a good night's sleep due to the noise from children in the halls and nearby  rooms.

I can't say whether this is still true as I haven't followed the situation recently since no one has asked about it for several years.

Have you considered staying near the cruise terminal where you'll be disembarking and taking a car service, taxi or Uber/Lyft or is your flight so early in the morning that you're reluctant to do that ? We live in New Jersey about 65 miles from JFK but even for a morning flight we much prefer taking a car service from home in the wee hours of the morning . If you stay near your cruise terminal you'll be a lot closer to JFK than we are.

Edited by njhorseman

11 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Thats a shame they are so expensive that night-- usually is a bit less. Very worthwhile place-- we really enjoyed our night there a few months ago. Even if you stay elsewhere take an Uber over for a drink or bite to eat to see it. 

I don't think that will happen. My flight from Europe arrives about 8pm. By the time I get through customs and get to my hotel, I don't believe I will want to go back out again.

1 minute ago, njhorseman said:

For as long as I can remember the standard advice was to not stay at any of the hotels in the immediate JFK area...even if they were part of the major chains...because they were used by the city to house people who were temporarily homeless. This tended to result in an  environment where it was difficult to get a good night's sleep due to the noise from children in the halls and nearby  rooms.

I can't say whether this is still true as I haven't followed the situation recently since no one has asked about it for several years.

Have you considered staying near the cruise terminal where you'll be disembarking and taking a car service, taxi or Uber/Lyft or is your flight so early in the morning that you're reluctant to do that ? We live in New Jersey about 65 miles from JFK but even for a morning flight we much prefer taking a car service from home in the wee hours of the morning .

I am not arriving by cruise ship. I am arriving by a flight from Europe. And I am flying home the next morning. It is a bit complicated but just to say, there are no "late night" flights for me to get home the night I arrive. And I have a credit from Delta so the flight home the next morning is already paid for....

9 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I am not arriving by cruise ship. I am arriving by a flight from Europe. And I am flying home the next morning. It is a bit complicated but just to say, there are no "late night" flights for me to get home the night I arrive. And I have a credit from Delta so the flight home the next morning is already paid for....

OK...so my suggestion is out the window...sorry

19 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

We've stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn before catching very early flights to St. Maarten - fairly close.  Clean, inexpensive, safe, but dreary.  I would suggest you get supper at the airport before heading to the hotel.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a Business Class flight and will probably eat on the plane before landing.

Did they have a shuttle available?

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a Business Class flight and will probably eat on the plane before landing.

Did they have a shuttle available?

Yes - we only used it to get from hotel to airport, but I assume it goes both ways.  It was well organized and prompt - never more than a 10 minute wait.

Thanks for the suggestions.  The NYC forum has so many topics!  Seems most are not really current though. I am thinking about just paying the amount for the TWA hotel for convenience of it.  

16 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

Lois, look on Yelp. Reviewers on Yelp tell it like it is and don’t fool around. I just peeked, and most recent reviews are horrible. Read through and come back here to narrow it down. 

You are right. I was reading some of them..........most are very negative.

8 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Its the safe bet and it's a nice, very convenient airport hotel. Its not top end 5 star luxury but its significantly nicer than most alternatives in the area. 

I was looking at the JFK website and the last time I flew home from there was last summer. 

Do you know if upon my arrival, after I go through customs and get my bag from baggage claim if I can walk to the hotel? Or do I have to go to the AirTran place? The map on line looks a bit overwhelming to me.  I am never afraid to ask for directions LOL.......I could always do that but just curious if you know anything about getting to the hotel after arriving from overseas.

32 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Do you know if upon my arrival, after I go through customs and get my bag from baggage claim if I can walk to the hotel?

It will depend on which terminal you arrive in-- the hotel is physically connected to Terminal 5 which services JetBlue (who do fly to/from London from there so not making any assumptions) and Aer Lingus. If not the AirTrain will get you there. 

2 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

It will depend on which terminal you arrive in-- the hotel is physically connected to Terminal 5 which services JetBlue (who do fly to/from London from there so not making any assumptions) and Aer Lingus. If not the AirTrain will get you there. 

Thanks for the help. I keep going back and forth about what to do. The $$ for this place is just way more than I normally spend.

As for the terminal, I will be coming in on Austria Airlines as my flight is arriving from Vienna.

4 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Thanks for the help. I keep going back and forth about what to do. The $$ for this place is just way more than I normally spend.

As for the terminal, I will be coming in on Austria Airlines as my flight is arriving from Vienna.

The AirTrain is super easy and your commute from Terminal 1 (where Austrian uses) to Terminal 5 will be less than 5 minutes and it runs 24/7. Once at T5 you'll take a skywalk into the modern terminal and then follow signs to one of the original tube walkways into the hotel itself. This will by far be the fastest option to a hotel vs taking a shuttle. 

When BA rerouted me to JFK instead of EWR, I booked myself at the fairly new (I stayed in May 2022) SpringHill Suites JFK.  It was fine for a night like you need and the area was not terribly yucky. (I didn't go out of the hotel until the next day.)

Marriott has opened a couple brand new properties near JFK and they might work for you too.

Again, I wouldn't choose to be there but I felt safe at the SHS and I was able to get some food from the little market (my dinner was mac n cheese, lol). I arrived around 9-10 PM and was exhausted. Their breakfast in the AM was your basic free, limited service hotel fare, but I had no complaints.

They have a shuttle but I think you have to take the air train to get to the shuttle pick up 

https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotels/nycqs-springhill-suites-new-york-jfk-airport-jamaica/overview/

Edited by megr1125

Hi Meg, nice to see you again🙂.  I will take a look at this one.  From what I have read (all day today),  I think you have to take the Air Train for whatever hotels have

a shuttle service. From what I can see, there is specific pick up point.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lois R said:

From what I can see, there is specific pick up point.

All hotel shuttles are supposed to pickup/drop off at AirTrain's Federal Circle Station and not the individual terminals. 
Federal Circle Station is serviced by the Jamaica Air Train or the Howard Beach Air Train. The Air Train that just runs between terminals does not stop at Federal Circle.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2023 at 3:30 PM, Lois R said:

Hello friends, I need a hotel for 1 night upon returning home from a cruise in April. Yes, I have researched this on line but I thought I would post the question on here and see what recommendations I can receive from those "in the know".

The AirTrain transportation system at John F. Kennedy International Airport allows for additional convenient hotel choices that might not otherwise be obvious. In particular, look at hotels in central Jamaica, Queens, such as the Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Queens/Jamaica that opens at the end of February. This hotel is but a few minutes walk from the Jamaica AirTrain station, which effectively an extension of the airport in downtown Jamaica. The trip to or from the airport takes about 8 minutes travel time. No need to deal with any hotel shuttles.

To get to Jamaica from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, walk or taxi to either (1) Pennsylvania Station, and a 20-minute train ride via Long Island Rail Road, or (2) West 50th Street and Eighth Avenue subway station, and a 34-minute train ride via E train.

10 hours ago, GTJ said:

The AirTrain transportation system at John F. Kennedy International Airport allows for additional convenient hotel choices that might not otherwise be obvious. In particular, look at hotels in central Jamaica, Queens, such as the Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Queens/Jamaica that opens at the end of February. This hotel is but a few minutes walk from the Jamaica AirTrain station, which effectively an extension of the airport in downtown Jamaica. The trip to or from the airport takes about 8 minutes travel time. No need to deal with any hotel shuttles.

To get to Jamaica from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, walk or taxi to either (1) Pennsylvania Station, and a 20-minute train ride via Long Island Rail Road, or (2) West 50th Street and Eighth Avenue subway station, and a 34-minute train ride via E train.

Good morning, thanks for your detailed reply but I am not arriving from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. I am not arriving by cruise ship at all. I think I posted earlier that I am flying in from Europe.  

On 1/31/2023 at 5:02 PM, princeton123211 said:

The AirTrain is super easy and your commute from Terminal 1 (where Austrian uses) to Terminal 5 will be less than 5 minutes and it runs 24/7. Once at T5 you'll take a skywalk into the modern terminal and then follow signs to one of the original tube walkways into the hotel itself. This will by far be the fastest option to a hotel vs taking a shuttle. 

Good morning, I am just going to splurge and stay at TWA. I was looking again at the maps on line.

My flight home the next morning is on Delta which is from Terminal 4.......looks like that is right next to Terminal 5🙂

Thank you again for the details about getting from point a to point b.  One good thing about me, I have never been shy and so asking for help in person if I need it, will not be an issue🙂

• Like 2