Ships skipping Nassau today: ??

shipgeeks

This is making me reconsider about how I want to book our Atlantis day.  Was planning to do the Comfort Inn but the cancellation deadline is 2 days before arrival.  Excursion through the ship is about $250 more but I’d assume would be refunded if the ship can’t dock? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sandym718 said:

This is making me reconsider about how I want to book our Atlantis day.  Was planning to do the Comfort Inn but the cancellation deadline is 2 days before arrival.  Excursion through the ship is about $250 more but I’d assume would be refunded if the ship can’t dock? 

Definitely refunded if ship can't dock.   

M

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

The Nassau webcam showed five ships approaching.  Only one actually came in; the rest turned around and left. Any idea what happened?

You ever pull into the parking lot of a hotel you booked online, and noped right back out of there? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, fsjosh said:

You ever pull into the parking lot of a hotel you booked online, and noped right back out of there? 

We did that once. Actually never even pulled into the parking lot. Took one look and kept going.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sandym718 said:

You can buy travel insurance that will reimburse you for non-refundable stuff like that if your itinerary gets changed. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

We're on Wonder. CocoCay cancelled today too due to winds.

wow sorry to hear about this.

All of FLA coasts are windy.

Gosh I never remembered so much bad weather this time of year.

Seems like hurricane season is becoming better time.  at least the early part of that season.

6 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

We're on Wonder. CocoCay cancelled today too due to winds.

50 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

wow sorry to hear about this.

All of FLA coasts are windy.

Gosh I never remembered so much bad weather this time of year.

Seems like hurricane season is becoming better time.  at least the early part of that season.

Liberty, too.

After a long story--we were granted permission to meet Freedom in Nassau today---at 8 am the concierge sends us an email saying the Freedom could not dock due to weather.  We stayed last night at Rosewood BahaMar and the weather there was not bad at all.  We were very disappointed to not make it on the ship.  I know these ships have to take precautions, but we sure thought after seeing Disney there today that all other ships would be there.  We spoke with passengers from Disney and they said they docking was smooth, and these people had cruised to Nassau over 20 times.  They did not understand how Freedom did not even attempt??

James van Fleet foretold this yesterday on his post on the socials. I watched the wish pull in on the webcam and didn't really see anything out of the ordinary but she did take the middle pier slot. Maybe that's why she was able to get in since if there was a gust they'd have a bit more leeway.

Not sure if different lines have different policies for go no go on wind and sea state with docking. I know ultimately master's discretion. Wish is actually taller than the freedom class so it's not like she had less freeboard than the other ships. 

The Freedom was scheduled to arrive well over an hour before the Wish was due to arrive. In fact from the port schedule the Wish was the last ship due to arrive in port.

Given conditions when the other ships arrived they probably could not dock but there may have been a break in the weather when the Wish got there later.

Edited by Spurschick

On the Wonder now. The Captain made a very lengthy announcement about the situation and stated that due to a large cold front (think high winds and rain) that it wasn't safe to dock in either Coco Cay or Nassau. 

They even produced about a fifteen minute video with maps and graphics explaining the situation and played it on channel 29 of the TV.

As you can imagine, the rain and winds outside meant crowds everywhere inside. It was quite difficult to get a drink anywhere on the Promenade. 

Cheers!

• Like 1