Restrictions on ordering with new menus

hac82

I heard from someone just getting off a cruise that there is a disclaimer on the new menus that you cannot get anything that is not on the menu. Has anyone had any issues like this with the new menus? If your cruise still had the old menus this most likely is not an issue. It only seems to be with the new menus. 

4 minutes ago, CruiseMomTX said:

Here is our menu from the Allure. Read the very bottom.  I can’t remember if we ever made any special requests but I think if you’re nice to the staff & tip well you may not have a problem with a request.  

BC1B5ABE-D8C4-4299-AF72-FAF6D922796A.thumb.jpeg.6b26a29bd3a8b8cbc327f54b3227a6fb.jpeg

For those who can’t read the fine print, “Requests for items that are not featured on this menu can only be accommodated for allergens [sic] or dietary restrictions.”

I would imagine that that requires you to notify dining in advance; I would not bet on the staff being willing to accommodate surprise “allergies” that coincidentally track diners’ culinary preferences.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, CruiseMomTX said:

Sorry I posted that on my phone and did not realize you can't really read the fine print on the computer.  Thank you for putting the info..

You can if you expand/click on the picture but I just wanted to make things easier.  Thanks for posting the menu itself!  Straight from the source lol.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Does the fine print preclude ordering a salad with dressing on the side, the salmon without the crust with an extra serving of spinach (listed in the lamb entree)?

Never had to prove an allergy in the past...

It's a new day on Royal. Fast and easy is the game plan.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

Does the fine print preclude ordering a salad with dressing on the side, the salmon without the crust with an extra serving of spinach (listed in the lamb entree)?

I assume extra stuff is fine as long as it is on the menu.  I would think side dressing is more likely to be accommodated than the special fish prep.

4 hours ago, baelor said:

I would imagine that that requires you to notify dining in advance; I would not bet on the staff being willing to accommodate surprise “allergies” that coincidentally track diners’ culinary preferences.

Once you get a couple cruises under your belt, you'll realize that that would be a great bet.

Edited by bucfan2

I was able to get easy substitutions, like a baked potato rather than mashed potatoes. Or double green vegs and no starch. I get all my meals with no sauce/gravy and that was not a problem. 

I never asked for any item that was not already on the menu for that evening  

m

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

Fish is prepped ahead of time.  I doubt you can get a plain salmon just because that's how you want it.  People with true food allergies and medically required dietary needs normally have to select their meals the night before so the chef is prepared.  In that case, I'm sure they'd prep salmon for those individuals without the crust if there was an issue with the ingredients, such as with the cheese or gluten.   I'm allergic to shrimp and I let the wait staff know the first night.  I'm not anaphylactic so I don't order shrimp dishes and the waitstaff knowing can let me know if there is any in a dish.  No need to make other changes.  At the cheers with an officer lunch on Jewel, the filet came with shrimp so I just asked for it to be left off which they gladly did and more than likely will do so in the future as that's not the same as ordering "off menu".

• Like 1

Just off the Oasis.  

I would often ask for all the veggies available for supper, or a 

larger garden salad for dinner, in place of an entree.  Often times we have a late lunch and are not super hungry at dinner. We didn’t ask on this cruise because of the disclaimer .
On this trip we tried a few of the new selections and most were very good, however they were only lukewarm.  I’m wondering if the kitchen is making dinner plates ahead of time to speed things along and the food is not arriving hot.  Our waiters were top notch, so it was not their fault.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, TinkBellaMom said:

Just off the Oasis.  

I would often ask for all the veggies available for supper, or a 

larger garden salad for dinner, in place of an entree.  Often times we have a late lunch and are not super hungry at dinner. We didn’t ask on this cruise because of the disclaimer .
On this trip we tried a few of the new selections and most were very good, however they were only lukewarm.  I’m wondering if the kitchen is making dinner plates ahead of time to speed things along and the food is not arriving hot.  Our waiters were top notch, so it was not their fault.

If the garden salad is on the menu, no reason why you can't  get a larger one (or two regular)  for dinner.  I used to get a double salad and a piece of plain chicken or salmon  on top.    I suspect the  protein addition is no longer allowed.   I guess I can order a shrimp cocktail, ( if offered that night) and salad and combine to make dinner.

M

I think this will be situationally specific.  Parents just got off the Allure and rice was provided every night with their request.  Yes, they asked on the first night and it could be anticipated (retrieved from another venue or kitchen) but they were not told no and this was not allergy related. 

Will be interesting to see how this plays out for folks.

I’m GUESSING, and only guessing as I don’t sail until May,  if it’s on the evenings menu, you can get the side from one dish added to another, appetizers as entrees and the like.  What I expect they are eliminating is the totally off menu ordering.  It’s early in the process and  it will evolve as time goes by.  

• Thanks 1

What caused me to ask this question was what the other person told my wife.  Honestly I found it quite strange but the comment was that they heard someone at their table ask for tartar sauce and was told "it is not on the menu so you cannot get it".  I don't know if it was a fish and chips night or not when this happened as I was not there.  I hope they are not becoming that strict.  As far as completely off menu, I can see that, but I hope they will allow substitutions with items that are on the menu like a larger salad, more vegetables, no starch, etc.

We are on the Enchantment now and last night’s menu had nothing that I wanted. I asked for either grilled chicken or salmon and was denied the request. They would not budge!  The beef has been awful in the dining room and not up to par in Chops!  It is really disappointing. I think the staffs hands are tied but it really makes no sense. Ou meals were no quicker than ever before. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just debarked Symphony on 02/04 and we never received issues with requesting different sides, getting a plate of steamed broccoli, ordering from kids menu (burger) for an adult that simply didn't want anything else on mexican night, etc.  These were all on menu.  Did encounter that the cheese plate is gone, and was told "We are sorry but with the new menus if the item is not listed we do not have it available"  Our waiter offered to go up to Windjammer to get some but we declined the offer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

If the garden salad is on the menu, no reason why you can't  get a larger one (or two regular)  for dinner.  I used to get a double salad and a piece of plain chicken or salmon  on top.    I suspect the  protein addition is no longer allowed.   I guess I can order a shrimp cocktail, ( if offered that night) and salad and combine to make dinner.

M

That’s the problem, a garden salad is no longer on the menu.  Only Caesar w/ Caesar dressing.  Grilled chicken and salmon are gone also from the daily menu.  Escargot and onion soup were no longer on daily, only offered a few times thru the week.  If you want to eat healthy (sometimes)  it’s tough.  We really enjoy the atmosphere in the dining room.  If we need to get to a show etc., we could eat in WJ for a speedier meal.  Now that’s out of our hands.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, mikegrip said:

Just debarked Symphony on 02/04 and we never received issues with requesting different sides, getting a plate of steamed broccoli, ordering from kids menu (burger) for an adult that simply didn't want anything else on mexican night, etc.  These were all on menu.  Did encounter that the cheese plate is gone, and was told "We are sorry but with the new menus if the item is not listed we do not have it available"  Our waiter offered to go up to Windjammer to get some but we declined the offer.

We loved the cheese plate as well!  Also, no fruit plate on dessert menu. I kind of don’t think this is about expediting meals because of shows.  It truly felt like budget cuts to us.  This new system doesn’t benefit us at all.  We felt deprived.

• Like 4

Two weeks ago on Adventure, night one, when ordering the (not so) Prime Rib, since we don’t like horseradish, we asked for peppercorn sauce that’s on the menu with the strip steak instead of horseradish and the waiter acted like we ruined his day. He stated that he wasn’t sure if he could do that but would ask the chef. He did bring some in a separate bowl. 
Also, I had the crab cake for the appetizer.  The crab(?) was rubbery and chewy. First time I ever had rubbery crab….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mikegrip said:

Did encounter that the cheese plate is gone, and was told "We are sorry but with the new menus if the item is not listed we do not have it available"  Our waiter offered to go up to Windjammer to get some but we declined the offer.

Ugh, sometimes I like to take that cheese plate back to the room for a snack later in the evening.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TinkBellaMom said:

We loved the cheese plate as well!  Also, no fruit plate on dessert menu. I kind of don’t think this is about expediting meals because of shows.  It truly felt like budget cuts to us.  This new system doesn’t benefit us at all.  We felt deprived.

There is a fruit cup on the kids' menu.  With my allergies, I expect I'll be having that many times for dessert, and it's probably not as good or as big as the old adult fruit plate, but would be an option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TinkBellaMom said:

On Symphony now. Even though fruit plate not on menu, got it Sat & Sun as desert. Big bowl cut up fruit.

Just ask.

• Like 1