True or False? Comments Welcome.

manmachine

For me its both. Mostly we sail to get away and it is one of the few places my brain slows down from overdrive. But, Celebrity does such a good job with gluten free, especially the buffet, vs other lines we have sailed, a lot would have to change for us to bail. So if they screw up gluten free, we will be checking out other lines.

• Like 1

I eat to live NOT live to eat.

cruising is seeing things including the ocean and enjoying entertainment too.

Fine dining for me is my kitchen because I can add herbs and spices and make things way so like.

For cruising I do enjoy good bread though.

I also expect better food in specialty restaurants.

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

FYI, Michelin stars are awarded to the food, it ignores restaurant service and atmosphere which is why you have food stands in Singapore with Michelin stars for a $5 dish.  Cruise ships, Carnival included, generally have great service, it's just the complimentary food itself leaves a lot to be desired

That is a good point about the Michelin rating system. I had forgotten that service did not play a factor. We enjoyed our first Michelin-starred restaurant experience last fall in Positano, Italy. The amuse bouche was, believe it or not, a slice of pizza! It was as delicious as it was whimsical! 😊

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BeachTunes said:

That is a good point about the Michelin rating system. I had forgotten that service did not play a factor. We enjoyed our first Michelin-starred restaurant experience last fall in Positano, Italy. The amuse bouche was, believe it or not, a slice of pizza! It was as delicious as it was whimsical! 😊

That's awesome it's so good.  Another random FYI with Michelin stars, while it's not uncommon to hear "Michelin Star Chef", its fancy marketing as there's no such thing as stars are awarded to the restaurant, solely based on food

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TommyD3 said:

We have sailed Celebrity for 30 years over 160 times !!!

And yes I cruise for the food.

Unfortunately the changes this month on Edge class ship have caused me to no longer be interested in sailing on Celebrity. Maybe that was their goal ???

I am intrigued and please accept this as a genuine question. You cruise for the food so if that same food was available at your local restaurant you’d not bother sailing, or do you mean food is one of the many things that attracts you to sailing, in fact the most important? I love the whole experience of sailing so it would take more than a decline in just one of those to stop me cruising.

Edited by C4HCG
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Food is a very important part of our cruise experience.  It's one of the reasons that we selected Celebrity way back in the 1990's.

image.png.53d60fa670a739f426bf93abb56dd9af.png

That menu would have had me running to the OVC 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I love cruising for many reasons.  I wouldn't say I cruise for the food, meaning I don't say I need great food so therefore I have to go on a cruise to get it.  I get wonderful food at restaurants on land and at home. 

Food plays a major factor though when choosing a line.  If I loved everything else but didn't like the food, I would not choose Celebrity.  Now, if I loved only the food and not much else,  I wouldn't sail Celebrity in that scenario either.  

Sure there have been things that I've had that Celebrity didn't do a good job on.  Thankfully the percentage is low. If things

change for not the better then I would have to re-evaluate Celebrity. 

For me, food has always been a huge part of my life.  Parties, dinners, get togethers or just sitting around the table with family and/or friends, etc...all have food.  When I plan something, food choices/taste and presentation are very important.  So, it only makes sense when going on vacation I enjoy the same things.  

When in port, just like on other vacations, we eat at local places.  You learn a lot from an area, the people and culture from food and drinks.

So, yes.  Food is important. 😉  It’s not why I cruise, but one of the things I enjoy about cruising.  

🍹

• Like 4

Dining is an area where a cruise line can really screw things up.  This topic is just one of many that speaks to the importance of food on a cruise. I hope that Celebrity doesn't cheapen its product to the point where folks go elsewhere.  Folks buy based on their most recent experience, brand loyalty is fickle when you disrespect your passengers. 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

Dining is an area where a cruise line can really screw things up.  This topic is just one of many that speaks to the importance of food on a cruise. I hope that Celebrity doesn't cheapen its product to the point where folks go elsewhere.  Folks buy based on their most recent experience, brand loyalty is fickle when you disrespect your passengers. 

And it looks like Celebrity is messing things up...I mean really..You can't even get a burger and fries from the OVC at night??....Im no foodie...but please!!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

We always try to eat when in port but often a tour eats up most of our time in port

One of the reasons we prefer to DIY - we can spend our time doing whatever / whenever.  We often like to enjoy a leisurely lunch at an off the beaten path place, or have a beer or glass of wine at a sidewalk cafe.  If we go to a museum we can spend as much or as little time on each exhibit as we like.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, C4HCG said:

I am intrigued and please accept this as a genuine question. You cruise for the food so if that same food was available at your local restaurant you’d not bother sailing, or do you mean food is one of the many things that attracts you to sailing, in fact the most important? I love the whole experience of sailing so it would take more than a decline in just one of those to stop me cruising.

Food is one of the most important things that attract me to cruising.

Going forward, yes, I will be visiting more local restaurants and doing less cruising.

This is due to the menu changes and the deletion of many of my favorite entrees.

• Like 2

We had 4 Celebrity cruises booked for this year all in suites. I canceled our South American cruise to go to Playacar, Mexico instead. We had a great time. Over the years we have done many cruises with Celebrity. I cruise more for ship and food than where the ship is going.

We have now decided to cancel 2 more Celebrity cruises booked for this year. We will only do 1 cruise this year in Sept. 

We are now going to England for Christmas. We want to do the Christmas Markets and a pantomime.

I want to give Celebrity time decide what type of cruiseline they want to be.

I chuckle when people say they cruise for the ports. Yes, if cruising in Europe.

But not the Caribbean. 

How many times can you go to Nassau,  Cozumel, or even St Thomas?

in the Caribbean, I cruise for the ship, the food and the entertainment. In that order. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

I chuckle when people say they cruise for the ports. Yes, if cruising in Europe.

But not the Caribbean. 

in the Caribbean, I cruise for the ship, the food and the entertainment. In that order. 

Thanks for the laugh. 😂I book all our cruises based on the itinerary. Not the menu. 

Edited by davekathy

22 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

But not the Caribbean. 

I chose my upcoming Caribbean cruise specifically for the ports. Chuckle away.

You never realize how important having good food on a cruise is until you sail with a line where it isn’t good. (MSC and NCL I’m looking at you..) You can have a beautiful ship with solid staff but if the food isn’t good it will leave with you with a negative feeling. Now I come at this from sailing in suites. If you book a bargain basement rate in a basic inside or Oceanview cabin then maybe the quality of food doesn’t matter as much.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, WonderMan3 said:

You never realize how important having good food on a cruise is until you sail with a line where it isn’t good. (MSC and NCL I’m looking at you..) You can have a beautiful ship with solid staff but if the food isn’t good it will leave with you with a negative feeling. Now I come at this from sailing in suites. If you book a bargain basement rate in a basic inside or Oceanview cabin then maybe the quality of food doesn’t matter as much.

This is the most ridiculous post on this thread. 🙄