Fitness Center--Reservations necessary?

sharonann24

Thanks to all who replied!  Glad to know that I am not the only one who saw that.  I will report back next week!  Here's hoping that I can at least get to a treadmill, if not the Peloton.  There is always the outside track which I have always done.  Just an FYI--not a fitness fanatic--just your average daily walker who likes to hit all of my Apple Watch fitness circles each day, and make my 10000 steps!

• Like 2

I was on the Apex this past December. There was a sign up sheet in the fitness center for the Peloton bikes. I went on the first day and signed up for the time slots that I wanted. The rest of the equipment (treadmills etc.) did not require a sign up or reservation.

It’s showing the same on my app and we board on Monday. It’s also saying that Masks are required which would make it the only place on the ship that they’re required which makes me think the whole requirement is a typo and they actually mean that only the classes and personal trainers require reservations. We’ll see! 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Duanerice1 said:

Can you just ride the bikes when there is no class?  I thought they were for the classes only.

On our September Summit cruise there were four Peloton bikes for anytime use. No reservations required. There were other Peloton bikes in another part of the gym set aside for classes only. They were all tethered together when not in use.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, kwokpot said:

As I've said I was on the Edge for it's inaugural cruise in December 2018 and again in 2019 pre pandemic. The gym was NEVER, I repeat NEVER overcrowded to the extent that a reservation system was needed. 

Here and there I've seen it fairly busy, couldn't get a treadmill, recently it was 10am-ish on a sea day.  Any other time, I haven't seen remotely packed.  If they want to require reservations I would imagine they'd have the spa desk perform entry control

12 hours ago, Lighthousepointdream15 said:

I was on the Edge in January. There were no reservations for the Peletons and if there were there was no one there to enforce a reservation. Two of the bikes were out of commission for the first few days and were brought back about midway through a 11 day cruise. Mornings were crowded but afternoons were empty with no wait for the Peleton. 

Aren’t the peloton bikes for classes?

Are the classes complementary on the S class ships?

There are normally some Peletons reserved for classes but also some available for personal use.

OP - I did Southern Caribbean in November (albeit on Equinox) and the fitness center was a ghost town even on sea days. I can't even fathom you'll have any issue.

Edited by Booth44

And if I remember correctly, on the Apex they had 2 Peloton bikes. The peloton bikes have their classes on the monitor on the bike. You pick a class and go. I have a peloton at home so I was able to log into my account and access classes that way. I don’t know if you don’t have an account if you can use the bikes to take a Peloton class as a guest. I don’t think so? There was also another small room off to the side where they had spin bikes. I believe those were with classes led by one of the fitness instructors. Those you have  to sign up for and also cost extra $.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 9:49 PM, Ex-Airbalancer said:

There are fitness centres on the ship! 
🤔😱😁

Apparently they belong to some mysterious man named Gym, whom I have never met…..

Seriously though. This is some ITiot cutting and pasting to the app without regard to actual policy or procedure. General fitness center use will not require sign-up

As recently as last weekend I had Cosmopolitan main “diNNing” room listed in the app for my up coming Ascent sailing along with Normandy select specialty dining, Tuscan Crlebrity Selecty anytime diningand Cyprus Celebrity selects dining specialty restaurant. A misspelling of the word dining and 4 different terms, none of which were correct, for the 4 included restaurants.

Like I said an ITiot with no clue cutting and pasting and misspelling…… probably has never been any closer to a cruise ship than their photoshop stock folder and keyboard 

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Apparently they belong to some mysterious man named Gym, whom I have never met…..

Seriously though. This is some ITiot cutting and pasting to the app without regard to actual policy or procedure. General fitness center use will not require sign-up

As recently as last weekend I had Cosmopolitan main “diNNing” room listed in the app for my up coming Ascent sailing along with Normandy select specialty dining, Tuscan Crlebrity Selecty anytime diningand Cyprus Celebrity selects dining specialty restaurant. A misspelling of the word dining and 4 different terms, none of which were correct, for the 4 included restaurants.

Like I said an ITiot with no clue cutting and pasting and misspelling…… probably has never been any closer to a cruise ship than their photoshop stock folder and keyboard 

Just adding some datapoints

-Was on the solstice during NYE, nothing was in the all about where to celebrate NYE (assumption would the lido) and what time the party started.  Told guest services, they went to back for a minute, when she returned she said it’ll be updated shortly.  And it was.  Therefore I’m pretty sure they’re updating on the ship

-This is was the Millie says for an upcoming class, I checked several of classes and all were different but didn’t “all sea days”, “all port days”, or even “gym”.  Additionally, the class copy has a touch of marketing, the gym reservation is void of all marketing and is rather blunt

36A96EEB-E400-4E1F-961F-0E32468A5A6D.png

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

12 hours ago, brennanavery said:

And if I remember correctly, on the Apex they had 2 Peloton bikes. The peloton bikes have their classes on the monitor on the bike. You pick a class and go. I have a peloton at home so I was able to log into my account and access classes that way. I don’t know if you don’t have an account if you can use the bikes to take a Peloton class as a guest. I don’t think so? There was also another small room off to the side where they had spin bikes. I believe those were with classes led by one of the fitness instructors. Those you have  to sign up for and also cost extra $.

I used the Peloton bikes on the Summit without setting up an account. I'll do the same on our March Apex cruise. 

• Like 2

On 2/8/2023 at 6:44 AM, Lighthousepointdream15 said:

I was on the Edge in January. There were no reservations for the Peletons and if there were there was no one there to enforce a reservation. Two of the bikes were out of commission for the first few days and were brought back about midway through a 11 day cruise. Mornings were crowded but afternoons were empty with no wait for the Peleton. 

There are reservations for the Pelotons, but you don’t necessarily need to make them. We were on Beyond last week and the way it worked was that the staff would kindly ask people to get off the bikes if they were all in use when we arrived at our reserved time. It is really just giving you priority access to the bike, but depending on when you are working out that may or may not be necessary.

For those looking to bring their own shoes just know the clips are SPD, not the typical Look Delta clips. On Edge they let us borrow shoes that were used for the spin classes.

1 hour ago, prim8keeper said:

There are reservations for the Pelotons, but you don’t necessarily need to make them. We were on Beyond last week and the way it worked was that the staff would kindly ask people to get off the bikes if they were all in use when we arrived at our reserved time. It is really just giving you priority access to the bike, but depending on when you are working out that may or may not be necessary.

For those looking to bring their own shoes just know the clips are SPD, not the typical Look Delta clips. On Edge they let us borrow shoes that were used for the spin classes.

Good to know!  

My Edge sailing on Monday has the same thing listed for reservations.

Since we are doing the Panama Canal - I am assuming the gym will get crowded on that day by the front windows since the only folks who have forward sight access are the Retreat and Aqua.

4 hours ago, davekathy said:

I used the Peloton bikes on the Summit without setting up an account. I'll do the same on our March Apex cruise. 

On the Solstice NYE sailing there they had Pelotons next to the treadmills, they had a black cover over the screen that said if you'd like to use them to please visit the spa desk.  No sure if it's a cover that you can simply take off or if there's some kind of software lock that the staff needs to unlock

3 hours ago, Arubamoose said:

My Edge sailing on Monday has the same thing listed for reservations.

Since we are doing the Panama Canal - I am assuming the gym will get crowded on that day by the front windows since the only folks who have forward sight access are the Retreat and Aqua.

I had heard that as well!  I am on that cruise so something to keep in mind.