How strict are the boarding times?

Our March 25th cruise opened this morning for on-line check-in, and I just completed the process. The earliest time available for boarding was the 12:30-1:00 timeframe. Usually we've been able to board around 10:30-11:00. My question is....how strict are they on the boarding schedule? If we show up early, say 11:00-11:30, will they let us on or will they make us wait for our time slot? 

2 minutes ago, kroozaholic said:

Our March 25th cruise opened this morning for on-line check-in, and I just completed the process. The earliest time available for boarding was the 12:30-1:00 timeframe. Usually we've been able to board around 10:30-11:00. My question is....how strict are they on the boarding schedule? If we show up early, say 11:00-11:30, will they let us on or will they make us wait for our time slot? 

Ask yourself this question.  Why do you think they have boarding times?  

• Like 14
  • Haha 2

In reviewing multiple threads the answer seems to be -- it depends.  Some ports have been very strict while others have not even looked at your check-in time assignment. 

That said, I tend to follow the rules and show up when assigned. 

• Like 7

Also, there may be a reason that that was the earliest time.  Our Jewel cruise this past Nov was the first after the TA.  They had CG inspections and the earliest time was 12 or 1230 (can't remember).  Boarding didn't start until almost 12.

• Like 1

This has been a frequently discussed topic lately, I think the consensus answer is it varies port to port and sailing to sailing. Some times it is enforced and others it’s not.  We have not sailed Royal since the start up, we have sailed Princess for comparison it was enforced in San Pedro and not enforced in Seattle. We sail next month on the Wonder out of PC so we’ll see for ourselves. 

Keep in mind boarding time is totally different than assigned check in time at the terminal.  

Sure, you can try to get there early and jump ahead in line of passengers that are keeping to their assigned check in time to enter the terminal....but then again....you may be waved off to stand and wait.  No seats outside to sit on.  

• Like 3

This is an interesting topic.  40+ cruises and we get the earliest check in time available (usually always 11AM) and invariably, the ship has MANY, MANY passengers already on board.  On our last sailing on Mariner, we stood forever in line for the 11AM check in.  People were already in line talking about their 2PM check in.....not just a few but many having late check ins.  They were bragging about it while some elderly passengers were at a point of passing out due to standing in the long lines (terminal 5, which I HATE).  We have always gotten to the cruise port at the appropriate time but wondering about getting there prior to our 11AM time.....say....10:30.  Obviously, no one is turned away for not getting there at the appropriate time.  So much for being turned out of line and told to wait.

4 minutes ago, Reijo said:

This is an interesting topic.  40+ cruises and we get the earliest check in time available (usually always 11AM) and invariably, the ship has MANY, MANY passengers already on board.  On our last sailing on Mariner, we stood forever in line for the 11AM check in.  People were already in line talking about their 2PM check in.....not just a few but many having late check ins.  They were bragging about it while some elderly passengers were at a point of passing out due to standing in the long lines (terminal 5, which I HATE).  We have always gotten to the cruise port at the appropriate time but wondering about getting there prior to our 11AM time.....say....10:30.  Obviously, no one is turned away for not getting there at the appropriate time.  So much for being turned out of line and told to wait.

It depends on the port. I've seen people put to the side and made to wait in Cape Liberty many times. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reijo said:

Am seeing the same thing in Puerto Rico.   Unreal amount of pax showing up before noon, long...long lines tying up traffic to get to the ships.  So much so that RCI is sending text warnings with the heavy arrival traffic getting to the ship.  Had a view from our hotel of the massive traffic jam that started at 10:30.  Earliest available check in time was noon.  And yet....so many not paying attention to it and simply arriving when they want to.  

Result?  Massive lines to check in too early.  Both in traffic and pax standing in long lines to check into the terminal.  

Indeed, spreading out the check in time was to try to spread out the congestion.  It's not working when they don't enforce it.  

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, island lady said:

Am seeing the same thing in Puerto Rico.   Unreal amount of pax showing up before noon, long...long lines tying up traffic to get to the ships.  So much so that RCI is sending text warnings with the heavy arrival traffic getting to the ship.  Had a view from our hotel of the massive traffic jam that started at 10:30.  Earliest available check in time was noon.  And yet....so many not paying attention to it and simply arriving when they want to.  

Result?  Massive lines to check in too early.  Both in traffic and pax standing in long lines to check into the terminal.  

Indeed, spreading out the check in time was to try to spread out the congestion.  It's not working when they don't enforce it.  

When sailings first started back after Covid, there were lines to get into the terminal based on your check in time.  The lines were adjusted as groups were let into the terminal.  It was an easy process and those that got to the terminal long before their time were left to wait......as it should be and as they were told would happen.  Wish they would go back to that process.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, island lady said:

I seen the same thing in Port Canaveral.  

Terminal 5 at Port Canaveral is SO bad that I wish we had experienced this.  Our next cruise, on 3/25, will be at this terminal.  This cruise had been booked BEFORE we knew how bad that terminal was.  Wish we had cancelled.  Just hope it isn't raining or else everyone will get wet since most of the line is outdoors!!!!!  It must be horrible in the summer having to wait outside.

2 hours ago, MommaBear55 said:

It depends on the port. I've seen people put to the side and made to wait in Cape Liberty many times. 

Really?  I never have.  I have never been asked to show my boarding time, either.  I just walk through the door, through security and up to a check in person.  No one asks anything.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Reijo said:

When sailings first started back after Covid, there were lines to get into the terminal based on your check in time.  The lines were adjusted as groups were let into the terminal.  It was an easy process and those that got to the terminal long before their time were left to wait......as it should be and as they were told would happen.  Wish they would go back to that process.

Totally agree.  There is a reason they came up with check in times, and not just to keep too many pax from congregating too closely with Covid worries.   Simply getting too congested all the way around.  

If they don't enforce the times...we are back to massive congestion, with bigger ships holding more pax all trying to be first to be on board at the same time.  

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Reijo said:

Terminal 5 at Port Canaveral is SO bad that I wish we had experienced this.  Our next cruise, on 3/25, will be at this terminal.  This cruise had been booked BEFORE we knew how bad that terminal was.  Wish we had cancelled.  Just hope it isn't raining or else everyone will get wet since most of the line is outdoors!!!!!  It must be horrible in the summer having to wait outside.

Sigh...same thing happened with us.  Even bad at terminal six next door.  

Boarded Jewel last month at T6, which then came back to T5.  We are back again for a B2B at T5 on the 25th.   

And...."sea" you on board.  😉 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Really?  I never have.  I have never been asked to show my boarding time, either.  I just walk through the door, through security and up to a check in person.  No one asks anything.

Yup, I have on the 3 times I've sailed out of there since Covid. But obviously other people have different experiences. All three times there were long lines and they had people stand according to their check in times. Maybe if there is no line they don't care. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Baltimore enforced it for all our cruises last year.  We're going out of Baltimore again in April so I'll look as we walk by to the suite entrance 🙂

22 hours ago, kroozaholic said:

This is a weekly question. Either follow the boarding time or just arrive early and ignore the rules.  Your choice, as it is well established that it is your vacation. 

23 hours ago, kroozaholic said:

There are no “boarding times”. There are times to arrive at the terminal (a.k.a. Check in times). For the most part, they are not enforced. Show up when you want. 

If you checked in the morning, earlier times were likely sold out. There are clock watchers like me who will be on at midnight to get the best times. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Ah, the pinnacle benefit.  Isn't it great.

18 hours ago, island lady said:

Sigh...same thing happened with us.  Even bad at terminal six next door.  

Boarded Jewel last month at T6, which then came back to T5.  We are back again for a B2B at T5 on the 25th.   

And...."sea" you on board.  😉 

That sounds awful. We will be joining you also on March 25.  Do you know if it is easy to get a wheelchair after parking if needed?