Navigator?

Nachosdelux

Had 2 wonderful cruises in the last 6 months on the Explorer and Splendor.

Thinking of booking our next one on the Navigator.  I realize it is an older ship and only has Prime 7 (no Chartreuse or Pacific Rim)

Other than that, anything to be concerned with?   Don't mind an older ship so long as it is well maintained.

thanks in advance for your feedback.

I spent 94 days on Navigator last summer; loved every minute.  I strongly recommend a cabin on Deck 6, either window or balcony.  The only negative I found with the ship is lack of public area restrooms; especially on Deck 10 where they were removed in order to build Prime 7.  It is a little nuisance that you learn to live with.  

• Like 5

We are first time sailors on RSSC on Navigator Miami to Montreal in May.

it will be the smallest ship we have ever sailed on. We have some trepidation but look on it as an adventure and can’t wait to expand our horizons and make new memories 😁

• Like 4

Hi @Nachosdelux 

My last cruise on Navigator was March 2022 and have another planned for May.  With over 200 nights on the ship, she is a lovely, intimate way to cruise.  Because of her size, you will get to know know more passengers and staff/crew.

Yes, she has vibration.  (Like @mrlevinsays, don’t book the aft suites.)  Yes, she has less restaurants.  Yes, she doesn’t have a forward Observation Lounge.  

Navigator has a special feel about her.  The staff and crew are just as wonderful as on the other Regent ships, as they try to make your experience the best you can have.  As she is small,  it won’t take you any time to get from one location to the next.

@Spud1 Friends and I will be joining you on the May cruise.  Looking forward to being back on Navigator.

Beth

• Like 3

We are fans of the Navigator as well--just book a cabin on deck 6 forward and you won't have issues with vibration while you sleep.  You will feel it from time to time, particularly in La Veranda and Prime 7, but it doesn't bother me when I am up and about..

• Like 4

The Tips for Travellers youtube channel fellow just got back from his first Regent cruise which happened to be on Navigator. He's going to start posting his videos about it within the next few weeks.

I'm curious to hear what he says, I quite enjoy watching his videos even though they usually are geared towards the more "mass market" cruises, he has some really good observations and tips.

Our last Navigator cruise was Amsterdam to New York City going up to Iceland and Greenland on the way.  Great trip, Navigator is so easy to get around in and you do get to know many passengers and crew.  I would not think twice about booking a cruise on the Navigator.

• Like 4

We did the 2018 137 day WC and 14 days over Christmas 2022 and New Years  2023. She and the Mariner are our favorite ships. Many of the Dec crew were the same as in 2018 so it was like coming home. The crew are truly great! The Navigator has a special feel about her that the other ships don’t have. 

We were on the Splendor the first 2 1/2 weeks of this Dec. She is a beautiful ship, all new and shiny, but we much prefer the Navigator. We did not miss the extra specialty restaurants at all as many of the dishes are offered in Compass Rose menu rotation or can be ordered with 24 hours notice. I love the Tempura and just order it for dinner. And she is much better laid out… you can get to the dinning room from both ends of the ship, the basic suites are much bigger. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Spud1 said:

it will be the smallest ship we have ever sailed on. We have some trepidation but look on it as an adventure and can’t wait to expand our horizons and make new memories 😁

We will be there with you. Our favorite ship. We join Navigator in April  thru June.  See you there !

• Like 3

We sailed on Navigator in 2006. One and done for us. As you have read, lots of people disagree with me 🤣. We found the vibrations too much for our comfort and we did not have an aft cabin. The dining room layout wasn’t ideal. For an older ship, give me Voyager!

14 hours ago, asnaleah said:

We sailed on Navigator in 2006. One and done for us. As you have read, lots of people disagree with me 🤣. We found the vibrations too much for our comfort and we did not have an aft cabin. The dining room layout wasn’t ideal. For an older ship, give me Voyager!

I have a question...you say "The dining room layout wasn’t ideal."  Seems to me the layout is fine.  What was it about the layout you don't like?

4 hours ago, asnaleah said:

Our table for 6 wasn’t a round because there weren’t enough of them, so we were stuck in a corner with 3 of us facing a wall. Lower ceilings and noisy. Not ideal.

The ceilings are lower than Splendor yes,  but in Dec 2022 the only non round tables were at the windows and were for only 2. All others were out in one of the three sections of the room, set up for 2-4, 4-6, and a few 8-10.

We have sailed many days  on the Navigator and have not found the Compass Rose any more noisy than in the other ships. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2023 at 1:22 AM, Spud1 said:

Good luck. We had that booked as well as another Back-to-Back, but after sailing on the Navigator in December, we cancelled both. Now rebooked our trip with Azamara, where the food is better, the staff are trained, and the prices are more reasonable. Our memories on the Navigator are full of waiting for subpar food, waiting for bar service, and laughing at the cheesy entertainment. And paying a premium for it. It’s pretty bad when the best meal in your trip is on the Air Canada flight home!

12 hours ago, weelee said:

. Our memories on the Navigator are full of waiting for subpar food, waiting for bar service, and laughing at the cheesy entertainment. 

WOW!  We spend 40 night on Navigator from May 28-July 7 and had a completely opposite experience (except entertainment.  Agree on entertainment).  But the food was good to excellent, service was on spot, including bars.  Had a wonderful time and have Navigator booked for next month. 

• Like 5

For me, to my surprise size doesn't seem to really matter. The Paul Gauguin, with a capacity of 332 passengers, is at the top of my best-ever list. But Regent's Splendor, with 750 passengers, is number 2.  Choosing between Regent's Voyager (706 pax) and Navigator (490 pax) is a hard call for me: I've had huge fun on both ships. And I really really like Regent's Mariner (700 pax).

If one is sensitive to vibration, avoiding Navigator might be a good plan.  But all ships have vibrations to one degree or another.

Perhaps i am too easy to please. I've also had good experiences on Azamara and Seabourn.

The only ship I would refuse to cruise with again is Oceania's Riviera (1250 pax): somehow the vibe on that boat just didn't suit me. Of course, "your mileage may vary."

For those new to the Navigator experience--or considering booking:  

A historical perspective explains some the peculiarities and nuances of this, the smallest ship in Regent's fleet.  A quick trip on CC's 548 pages concerning Regent is instructive.

Page 181.  Thread is "Mariner v Navigator"  May, 2016.  Post #15.  Brief reference to original military use intended for Navigator's hull.  

Page 98.  "Currently on Navigator"  June, 2018.  Posts #27 and #28 provide further historical context of that hull laid down in 1988 during the waning days of the Soviet era.  Was intended to be named "Admiral Nikolai Pilgugin".  (Side-note:  The late (died in 1982) Pilgugin was a key figure in developing and refining technical capabilities of the USSR's ICBM Program.)  But--history intervened.  

Of course, other pages are replete with previous cruisers' reviews of their experiences while aboard Navigator.  The more recent ones:  Page 17.  "Navigator Crossing"; Page 11.  "Anyone Sailing on Navigator?"; Page 7  "Navigator 2022-23 Holiday Cruise"; and Page 5.  "The Good, Bad, Ugly".

FWIIW:  Many cruises on Navigator over the years in Asian, Mexican, and 'Carib waters.  Most-recent was June 2018 Panama Canal transit.  Several subsequent ones were canceled due to COVID shut-down.  Will be back this May at NYC for a B/t/B.   

Enjoy. 

GOARMY!