Favorite condiment

lenquixote66

On 2/12/2023 at 10:25 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Various renditions of fruit chutney.  It drives me nuts when they set out several excellent curries in the ships’ buffet but never seem to supply the condiments…no chutney and no riata. I can’t eat curry without my condiments.  

I guess I don't have to worry about that......I have never gotten a taste for curry. For some reason, I just don't like it.

Condiments? Well, Mayo would be in my top 3....depending on the sandwich of course😀

9 hours ago, Lois R said:

I guess I don't have to worry about that......I have never gotten a taste for curry. For some reason, I just don't like it.

Condiments? Well, Mayo would be in my top 3....depending on the sandwich of course😀

I guarantee you Lois…if you ever had one of my Indian dinners you would like it.  Chicken curry Bombay style and Madras beef curry with jasmine rice, lamb biryani, papadum, lime pickle, homemade mango and orange chutney with sultanas, sweetened lemon yogurt with sliced banana and tomato and onion raita all served with cold lager beer in frosted mugs!  We would also need some skewers of meat from the tandoor.  

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE

• 1 month later...

I would gladly try your curry too but apparently I have those nasty OR6A2 receptors which means I hate coriander (it's literally in my genes) and cilantro, at least one of which is in nearly every Indian, middle eastern and many African dishes.

The other common spices in curry like cinnamon, cardamom, and ginger are fine with me but I generally don't like them with savory dishes especially meat dishes...sigh.

I forgot to mention what I like.

Although I like ketchup or mayo on some things as well as ranch dressing, Mustard is something I enjoy on a wider variety of foods.

For something more outside the box, I like caramelized onion jam on things like burgers or steak.  If I don't have the time, I just use A1 or Worcestershire.

2 minutes ago, Seamus6 said:

I forgot to mention what I like.

Although I like ketchup or mayo on some things as well as ranch dressing, Mustard is something I enjoy on a wider variety of foods.

For something more outside the box, I like caramelized onion jam on things like burgers or steak.  If I don't have the time, I just use A1 or Worcestershire.

Ketchup - Hamburger

Bacon Onion Jam - Hamburger

Mayo - BLT

Ranch - Fried Chicken Cutlet

Mustard - Frankfurter

Peter Luger Sauce - Over Sliced Tomato & Sliced Onion

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

What is HP sauce ?

I had to look it up myself:

HP Sauce is a British brown sauce, the main ingredients of which are tomatoes and tamarind extract. It was named after London's Houses of Parliament. After making its first appearance on British dinner tables in the late 19th century, HP Sauce went on to become an icon of British culture.

2 hours ago, Seamus6 said:

I had to look it up myself:

HP Sauce is a British brown sauce, the main ingredients of which are tomatoes and tamarind extract. It was named after London's Houses of Parliament. After making its first appearance on British dinner tables in the late 19th century, HP Sauce went on to become an icon of British culture.

Thanks for the info

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

What is an Ulster Fry ?

An Ulster Fry? Prepared and served exclusively in Northern Ireland. It can be served as breakfast lunch or dinner, commonly accompanied by HP sauce and a pot of tea, although a pint of Guinness is good at lunch or dinner.

Ingredients:- Good quality pork sausages, back bacon (possibly called Canadian bacon in the US), black pudding, white pudding, mushrooms, two fried eggs, grilled tomato, fried potato bread and fried soda bread.

Some people add baked beans and remove some or both of the breads, commonly known as a boring English breakfast.

theulsterfry_92143_16x9.jpg

2 hours ago, norn iron said:

An Ulster Fry? Prepared and served exclusively in Northern Ireland. It can be served as breakfast lunch or dinner, commonly accompanied by HP sauce and a pot of tea, although a pint of Guinness is good at lunch or dinner.

Ingredients:- Good quality pork sausages, back bacon (possibly called Canadian bacon in the US), black pudding, white pudding, mushrooms, two fried eggs, grilled tomato, fried potato bread and fried soda bread.

Some people add baked beans and remove some or both of the breads, commonly known as a boring English breakfast.

theulsterfry_92143_16x9.jpg

Interesting