A new type of Tipping question. Shore Excursions?

jean87510

I don't see this get asked a lot so I'm going to put it out there.  A few questions:

1.  If using a ship excursion, how much do you tip and how do you do it if multiple crew members and no tip jar?

2.  If doing a private excursion, how much do you tip and how do you do it if multiple crew members and no tip jar?

3.  How much do you tip the driver if a bus excursion?

4.  How do you tip if there are multiple stops with different guides?

I know there are many threads on the ship but I am really curious as to what is recommended by fellow travelers for the above.  I was actually asked in one of our stops if we were going to tip at a rental shop for bikes.  We said no as it was a DIY.  Later we discussed it and thought, should we have?  Are we missing something?  

2 hours ago, jean87510 said:

I don't see this get asked a lot so I'm going to put it out there.  A few questions:

1.  If using a ship excursion, how much do you tip and how do you do it if multiple crew members and no tip jar?

2.  If doing a private excursion, how much do you tip and how do you do it if multiple crew members and no tip jar?

3.  How much do you tip the driver if a bus excursion?

4.  How do you tip if there are multiple stops with different guides?

I know there are many threads on the ship but I am really curious as to what is recommended by fellow travelers for the above.  I was actually asked in one of our stops if we were going to tip at a rental shop for bikes.  We said no as it was a DIY.  Later we discussed it and thought, should we have?  Are we missing something?  

Our rule of thumb is to always have 20s set aside for tours. I don’t think you need to give everyone a specific tip though, just people who performed services for you and enhanced your experience. 

Person leading our crew on the zip lines? 20. Person who drove us to/from the excursion? 20.

I will say that our rule of thumb as two women traveling (I cruise with my mom) is that if we have a car service at a stop, we give them half the tip after the first ride so that they know we are grateful and reaffirm that they’ll be back for us. Maybe that’s a bit paranoid, but it provides us peace of mind and has also gotten us better service upon arrival to a destination, be it a hotel we bought a day pass at or zip lining or even a beach, when our driver tells people they work with that we were kind and tipping well. 

You can assume that if there are multiple people in a crew, you can tip one and they pool and split what they receive - I always say ‘thank you all for your time, this is for everyone’ when I give one person a tip so they know I want them to split it. After that, there’s nothing I can do. 

I would not tip at a rental shop for bikes. I would not tip a shopkeeper or someone at a market stall. I tip drivers and guides.. not someone whose store we are patronizing. They did not perform a service for you outside of the one you paid for - the bike - so there’s no need in my opinion. 

I know that we are generous with our excursion tips, but I also know that we are the type of guests who are up front in the transport, asking questions, following along closely.. so we feel strongly about setting aside extra money for tips on both excursions and service staff on the ship. Everyone does this differently, some not doing it at all, so I think it comes down to your experience and how comfortable you are. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CityChickCruising said:

Our rule of thumb is to always have 20s set aside for tours. I don’t think you need to give everyone a specific tip though, just people who performed services for you and enhanced your experience. 

Person leading our crew on the zip lines? 20. Person who drove us to/from the excursion? 20.

I will say that our rule of thumb as two women traveling (I cruise with my mom) is that if we have a car service at a stop, we give them half the tip after the first ride so that they know we are grateful and reaffirm that they’ll be back for us. Maybe that’s a bit paranoid, but it provides us peace of mind and has also gotten us better service upon arrival to a destination, be it a hotel we bought a day pass at or zip lining or even a beach, when our driver tells people they work with that we were kind and tipping well. 

You can assume that if there are multiple people in a crew, you can tip one and they pool and split what they receive - I always say ‘thank you all for your time, this is for everyone’ when I give one person a tip so they know I want them to split it. After that, there’s nothing I can do. 

I would not tip at a rental shop for bikes. I would not tip a shopkeeper or someone at a market stall. I tip drivers and guides.. not someone whose store we are patronizing. They did not perform a service for you outside of the one you paid for - the bike - so there’s no need in my opinion. 

I know that we are generous with our excursion tips, but I also know that we are the type of guests who are up front in the transport, asking questions, following along closely.. so we feel strongly about setting aside extra money for tips on both excursions and service staff on the ship. Everyone does this differently, some not doing it at all, so I think it comes down to your experience and how comfortable you are. 

Thanks.  It's pretty much what we do.  We usually DIY with rental cars or bikes but occasionally have had to do the ship as it was the only way to get to a certain spot or a private cattle call.  Plus a few times I didn't really get a thanks for the big excursions just a pocket the money deal.  Not that I expect groveling but it makes one wonder about was the tip enough?  

4 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

Thanks.  It's pretty much what we do.  We usually DIY with rental cars or bikes but occasionally have had to do the ship as it was the only way to get to a certain spot or a private cattle call.  Plus a few times I didn't really get a thanks for the big excursions just a pocket the money deal.  Not that I expect groveling but it makes one wonder about was the tip enough?  

Years ago, I always had 5s in my shirt pocket, as time passed, it was 10s, currently, it's 20s, wow, how times have changed. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

We have definitely experienced that as well and just shrug and go on with our day. Especially when you see others not tipping, we just have to assume the grumbling or pocketing with a nod/minimal thanks is annoyance at others, exhaustion after a long day, and not your tip amount! When we pay as much as we do for excursions, private or ship’s, I think any tip (especially a $20!) is generous. Don’t lose sleep over it!! 

More and more I am subscribing to the school of thought that I'm going to keep what I tip others for their service close to my vest.  I think we are generous tippers but just can't imagine a scenario where'd I'd offer a tip based on what others say they do as opposed to tipping based on the service we ourselves received.  

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 4

If we are in a foreign country we research tipping customs for guides, taxis/car service, restaurants, hotels and tip accordingly. 

If we are on  private excursion with 4-8 people and a guide and driver we will tip more than we would tip the guide or driver of a excursion on a bus full of people.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Like @jelayne we take many private tours but usually with just the two of us.   We definitely tip more on Private tours - probably in the range of 20% of the tours cost.   If there is a driver in addition to the guide we usually tip him 50% of the Guide.

Ships tours really base it on the tour guide.   Usually about $20.   We have also had a couple of really terrible guides (on Celebrity tours).    Once in France we stopped at the B&B factory and she READ the pamphlet to us that they gave us at the door.   Next was a stop at the Alabaster Coast and she said we were on our own tomeet up back at the bus in 3 hours.  She had no idea what she was doing.   I chose to give her nothing.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CityChickCruising said:

We have definitely experienced that as well and just shrug and go on with our day. Especially when you see others not tipping, we just have to assume the grumbling or pocketing with a nod/minimal thanks is annoyance at others, exhaustion after a long day, and not your tip amount! When we pay as much as we do for excursions, private or ship’s, I think any tip (especially a $20!) is generous. Don’t lose sleep over it!! 

never!! 😁 Glad to hear Im not the only one!

First and foremost, there are no hard and fast rules.  

For a ship or large third-party excursion in the Caribbean or Mexico, we typically tip $10 for a half-day excursion and $20 for a full day excursion.  That is for the both of us.  If someone did an excellent job, we'll increase that.  If someone did a cruddy job, we'll decrease it (and may just keep it in my pocket).  We also increased that a good bit when numbers were very low and times were very tough during Covid, but those days are over.

If I'm in a different part of the world, I also do a little research on tipping practices and go along with that.

For something very small or booked for just the two of us, I just sort of go with what I feel and consider the circumstances.  I typically won't tip the owner (owners set the prices and keep the money), and owners typically are more concerned with getting a good review than a few bucks.  If they have a shop, then I might very well buy a little something instead.  If they have done a fantastic job but don't have a shop, I've been known to offer a little something to an owner (e.g., "Thank you.  This has been a great day.  Let me buy you a beer" or something like that).  I've had folks graciously refuse such an offer, and that just reminds one that there are many who take pride in what they do and are more than happy with sincere a sincere "thank you" and handshake. 

Drivers and guides typically share tips.  Your "main" guide typically works things out with any guide that is at a stop.  If a driver has had to deal with some serious situations and come through brilliantly, I often will make a special effort to get something to him.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

FYI, this isn't a new tipping question; I've yet to see any type of new tipping question in recent memory

If you tip one person on behalf of the entire group that they represent, shouldn’t you also tip them for doing the service of collecting and distributing the tip?  

And do you base this tip amount for them on the entire tip, or more as a percentage of the price you paid?

21 minutes ago, manmachine said:

If you tip one person on behalf of the entire group that they represent, shouldn’t you also tip them for doing the service of collecting and distributing the tip?  

And do you base this tip amount for them on the entire tip, or more as a percentage of the price you paid?

First question, no, I actually thought that was a joke but don't think it is.  Second is, you're supposed to tip 10%-20%; most do far less if at all, some tip more

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

First question, no, I actually thought that was a joke but don't think it is.  Second is, you're supposed to tip 10%-20%; most do far less if at all, some tip more

So that’s 10% to 20% on the cost of the entire tip to the tip taker?  They are some of the harder working folks out there and you know they must be trusted by their coworkers or they would not get to handle cash.  We must not forget them!  Tip the tip taker!

47 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

If one is ever visiting Belize which is a tender port, the tender crew will ask passengers for a tip.  That feels like a money grab as no other tender ports asks for one and you would have to imagine they're all receiving a descent wage

Haven't been to Belize since 2009.  Will be there 3x in next 24 months.  Good to know.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DCPIV said:

First and foremost, there are no hard and fast rules.  

For a ship or large third-party excursion in the Caribbean or Mexico, we typically tip $10 for a half-day excursion and $20 for a full day excursion.  That is for the both of us.  

This.  Thank you.  As I said, we are DIY but there's always those places you can only get to with a ship excursion with limited hours (mainland from Cozumel for example).  And sometimes they switch you off to multiple guides (guide for cenote, guide for Tulum, guide for beach...).  It may turn into you are tipping more than the excursion was initially!!  

2 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

If one is ever visiting Belize which is a tender port, the tender crew will ask passengers for a tip.  That feels like a money grab as no other tender ports asks for one and you would have to imagine they're all receiving a descent wage

Happened to us recently in Cabo and definitely didn’t get change in his jar from us.  He repeated it a few times.  I’m very well capable of reading the tip jar and my husband can hold my hand getting on and off the tender.  

7 hours ago, DCPIV said:

I typically won't tip the owner (owners set the prices and keep the money), and owners typically are more concerned with getting a good review than a few bucks. 

I was wondering about this.  We’ve booked two tours in Rome and Naples with guides (not through a broker/3rd party) but independently.  I know tips in Italy aren’t the norm and was wondering how others have handled this.  I noticed on their websites part of the not included was “tips”.  So do we or don’t we?  

10 hours ago, Pickels said:

Years ago, I always had 5s in my shirt pocket, as time passed, it was 10s, currently, it's 20s, wow, how times have changed. 

I had a miserable taxi driver last week from the pier to the airport. Wouldn't even open the door for me then left my luggage behind his trunk.  I just paid him what was on the meter.  Opening the door for an older lady equals $5 bucks. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RTR 21-0 said:

Happened to us recently in Cabo and definitely didn’t get change in his jar from us.  He repeated it a few times.  I’m very well capable of reading the tip jar and my husband can hold my hand getting on and off the tender.  

Recently was on the Solstice which went to Cabo and if they asked for tipping or had a tip jar at all I didn't notice

In Belize, I've been twice in the past year, they said nearly the same thing both times, something like "everyone, if I could have your attention please...If you had a good time say YEAAAAHHH!!! (oddly I'd guess 10 out of 200 said it back as this was so unexpected and random)  The crew including myself work hard to take care of you, please return the favor as we will be accepting gratuities."  They didn't even have a tip jar, guy would take the cash and put it into his pocket

20 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Recently was on the Solstice which went to Cabo and if they asked for tipping or had a tip jar at all I didn't notice

In Belize, I've been twice in the past year, they said nearly the same thing both times, something like "everyone, if I could have your attention please...If you had a good time say YEAAAAHHH!!! (oddly I'd guess 10 out of 200 said it back as this was so unexpected and random)  The crew including myself work hard to take care of you, please return the favor as we will be accepting gratuities."  They didn't even have a tip jar, guy would take the cash and put it into his pocket

If they are humble about it I will leave a tip in the bowl or cup but nothing worse than them going on and on about how hard working they are and so deserving etc. One guy went on for 5 minutes sounded like a speech really unnecessary so I left nothing. 

Edited by drakes2
Spelling
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

If they are humble about it I will leave a tip in the bowl or cup but nothing worse than them going on and on about how hard working they are and so deserving etc. One guy went on for 5 minutes really unnecessary so I left nothing. 

Those guys are the worst. People start standing up before the tender arrives at port just to get away from the blah blah blah as quickly as possible.  

• Like 2