Ask Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings’ CEO: Call for Questions for Frank Del Rio

CCAubs

One of the biggest cruise industry events, Seatrade Cruise Global, is quickly approaching. At the event, cruise line CEOs sit side by side to discuss all things cruising. This year’s panel of esteemed CEOs includes Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings’ President & CEO, Frank Del Rio.

And he wants to hear from Cruise Critic members. 

Do you have a question that you’d love to ask Mr. Del Rio? Are you wondering what’s ahead for onboard dining and entertainment? Have thoughts on how NCLH can leverage technology to improve the cruise experience? Do you have questions about the cruise line’s sustainability efforts? We want to hear from you.

Share your questions below, and your question might be one asked of Mr. Del Rio at this year’s event.

• LauraS pinned this topic

Question: Are you planning on continuing with the traditional muster drills? Is this set in stone?  As someone who uses a wheelchair, I have always wondered whether the traditional muster drills, with their one-size-fits-all format, are optimal, and whether they can be tweaked to improve safety for all.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, exlandlubber said:

I’d like to know if anything can be done about the poor WiFi service on Oceania or Regent cruises? I can’t comment on Norwegian but the other two divisions are pretty inadequate.

Thank you.

second that !

I would like to know why Regent doesn't handle the "Pool Chair Hogs". On our Caribbean B2B's in March 2022, it was so terrible that a fight took place.

We had booked the same Caribbean B2B's for 2023, but cancelled it upon returning home.

Then we booked the March 11-April 5 2023  Rio to Miami, hoping for the best.

I also read that Carnival Cruise Line Cracks Down on Deck Chair Hogs on October 2022

https://cruiseradio.net/carnival-cruise-line-cracks-down-chair-hogs/

Perhaps Regent can do something similar, it is not fair to ask the pool persons to do it, BUT, it is up to the General Manager to inform them that you cannot place a pocketbooks and $.89 rubber flip flops on the lounges in early am and then not show up till late afternoon.

All they have to do is Have a Sign at the Pool that the book,etc will be collected and left at the pool bar., after 1 hour.

Will Regent please be pro-active in this and be the 5 star cruise line it is.

Please be aware that I consider this a positive corrective criticism not a negative one.

Thank, you

• Like 8

SnoBirdCruiser:  

Regent has already taken action as to HOGS.  

Go to Page 2.  Thread Topic:  "New 30-minute pool lounge save policy instituted on The Splendor."  100 responses--mine included.  Deck signs when combined with Crew follow-through worked.  At-least for the remainder of that particular early February cruise segment.  Hope to see similar proactive action when we board Navigator in May. 

GOARMY!

• Like 1

One question I would have regarding the loyalty programs.  Why hasn't regent adopted a spend approach to the seven seas society,  (Similar to getting a cabin bonus on the airlines where you get a 50% bonus if business class and 100% in first.) 

Secondly is there a cross over between programs?  I have only done one cruise on NCL with my kids when they were younger.  I would love to do a family cruise, but I wouldn't bring younger grandkids on Regent, but I would consider staying in the Haven on NCL.  Not that I would want to count NCL nights towards regent status, but can I get some equivalent status on NCL for that cruise?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GOARMY said:

SnoBirdCruiser:  

Regent has already taken action as to HOGS.  

Go to Page 2.  Thread Topic:  "New 30-minute pool lounge save policy instituted on The Splendor."  100 responses--mine included.  Deck signs when combined with Crew follow-through worked.  At-least for the remainder of that particular early February cruise segment.  Hope to see similar proactive action when we board Navigator in May. 

GOARMY!

Thank you GOARMY,  I read the page 2. and wasn't aware of this thread.

Since we will be boarding the Voyager in three weeks, it will be interesting to see if Regent is following the new 30 minute policy....I imagine it will be up to whoever the GM will be, to see if they are truly following through.

We consider the ship as our destination and that is why we love to cruise instead of going to resorts.

On 2/21/2023 at 1:32 AM, Lonedaddy said:

One question I would have regarding the loyalty programs.  Why hasn't regent adopted a spend approach to the seven seas society,  (Similar to getting a cabin bonus on the airlines where you get a 50% bonus if business class and 100% in first.) 

Not sure I understand the 'spend' approach, but I think Regent needs to do something about the erosion of benefits.  Being eternally 'Gold' has little meaning these days. But overall, the internet bandwidth issue is the biggest thing that needs fixing.

• Like 2

Q1 --  What is the issue with biofouling.  Why were both Oceania and RSSC ships forced to clean their hulls.  The regulations have been on the books since 2018 in New Zealand and more recently special enforcement notices were published in mid 2022 for Australia. Why did these disruptions occur??  What is NCL doing to prevent future occurrences

Q2 -- We know because of COVID that many people in the travel industry left because of shutdowns.  Most particularly recent shore excursions on both Regent and sister line Oceania have been atrociously poor.  We had two 20+ cruises in Nov - Jan 23 one on Regent and one on Oceania where only a few of these excursions were satisfactory.   What is NCL doing to improve the experience??

Edited by PaulMCO

Regent loyalty - as best I can tell no "free cruise" after X number of days.  On Seabourn we got 14 days after 250 sailed - which we used as part of our very expensive Antarctica cruise.  Even though we have not been particularly happy with our last couple of Seabourn cruises (mostly due to staffing issues) we will sail with them a few more times as we are within reach of another 14 day complimentary and could already have a 7 day one. 

Consider offering a $100.00 OBC to Military veterans discharged under Honorable Conditions. This would apply to those who have completed Active Duty periods from the minimum to those whose service has qualified them for Retirement benefits. 

Examples where I have obtained same:  When on previous Princess and Cunard cruises.

Of course, proper documentation of this status would be required. 

GOARMY!

• Like 1

I would like to know the future plans specifically for the RSSC fleet.

Acknowledging that Explorer, Splendour and Grandeur are recent/new, the other half of the fleet, while very well maintained and beautiful ships, are firmly into middle age with the youngest (Voyager) has over 20 years in service.

Is RSSC/NCL planing further modernization/refits to these vessels to keep them competitive and desirable in the marketplace? Are additional "Explorer class" vessels planned after launch of Grandeur? How long do you plan to keep the legacy ships part of the revenue generating fleet?

• Like 2

On 2/22/2023 at 10:08 AM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Not sure I understand the 'spend' approach, but I think Regent needs to do something about the erosion of benefits.  Being eternally 'Gold' has little meaning these days. But overall, the internet bandwidth issue is the biggest thing that needs fixing.

Agree… SSS program is worthless, for a gold member. 
sheila

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

How are operating costs being reduced in order to service the enormous debt that NCLH holds? 

How are increases in fuel and supply costs being handled?

Are significant price increases, or cuts in customer service, to be expected?

Given the parlous state of the cruise industry how does NCLH justify the enormous payouts being made to outgoing senior executives from NCLH, Regent and Oceania?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello from Seatrade 2023 in Ft. Lauderdale!

The State of the Industry was held yesterday. Due to time constraints, we were limited to just one question per CEO, but it was amazing to have the opportunity to include the cruisers' voice in the conversation for the first time ever.

Here's a link to our recap of the event and CEO answers: https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/7330/ Including a photo, too 🙂

We received A TON of questions across all of the cruise line forums (and lots of fantastic feedback) for the lines, and are going to be following up by sending all of it their way as well. We'll also use it on the Cruise Critic side for future story ideas, too. 

A huge thank you to all of you for sharing your thoughts, questions and experiences -- this community is incredible.

SOTI 2023.jpg

• Thanks 1

One quote from FdR:

"Our prices, compared to land-based vacations, are low -- too low," said Del Rio. "And over the last three years, that gap has increased. We're lagging behind. Why is that? Maybe we haven't focused enough on what product we're delivering. The cruise industry has not kept up with the demand that consumers want because the land-based vacations are eating our lunch."

Sounds like prices will continue to rise ☹️. Probably not unexpected.

• Host Kat locked and unpinned this topic