The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday February 17th, 2023

cat shepard

1 hour ago, Cruisercl said:

Hello Everyone,

My thanks to the pillars of this thread who are continuing to support and ensure its daily presence.

The things I learn everyday here are wonderful; every day is a school day my Mom always said.

The days celebrated today are all important to our well being.

Lots of people are caregivers, they come in all sorts of forms and do all sorts of things to help others. Many people here are caregivers even though they may not believe so. Kindness and believing it is the right thing to do often play a role.

Public science, IMO, is for the greater good; public health/epidemiology, civil engineering and meterology/weather to name a few. All important to help us to live safe lives.

I like the quote from Mother Theresa but I also believe that anything done with good intentions and love are great things too.

The week has been a rolloer coaster in the weather department but this is Winter in MN!!

Starting to pack for my next cruise; the PC on the NCL Bliss. Leave next week for a 15 day cruise.

Looking forward to being warm!

My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Cheers to those celebrating; it is good to celebrate big and small things.

Take good care and have a nice, restful weekend. Stay safe.😊 

Your cruise sounds fantastic.

I hope you have an amazing time.

Graham.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Not much to report today except that the menus have their folders again and the GI issue seems under control.  Thank God.

Good news indeed!  Enjoy your last few days on board.

7 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Fingers crossed roads are clear and the new cast this afternoon will be ok. It could be a long weekend if not. 

I really hope you have been able to get there by now.  A new cast is a MUST and if your clinic is like mine -  it will be a long wait until Monday 😔 

6 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Late last night our friend called saying her husband is down with the flu, and can she get a ride with us?  Well, the 3 of us will be heading out of town in a couple of hours to attend the memorial together.

That is so sweet of you two to give that kind of support and take her today. Of course, that’s who you two are  ♥️ Safe travels and I know this means a lot to your friend.  God bless you both.

4 hours ago, luvteaching said:

I'll be taking in cookies and homemade Oreo Cookie fudge for DH's care people this morning. I keep them supplied with cookies when he's in there.

How very kind of you.  I treated DH’s care people when he was there and I know it is very appreciated.  I am sure they all appreciate your kindness & thoughtfulness ♥️ 

4 hours ago, luvteaching said:

Keeping fingers crossed that he gets home before our Medicare days run out! 

My prayers are with you for it to happen 🙏🏻 

1 hour ago, dfish said:

The plow guy came and since the garbage pick up hadn't come by then, I took mine out.  They picked it up while I was at class.  So, no stinky garbage in the garage.  

Yippee!  Sometimes the little things can give us a lot of joy and feeling like everything went right.  Sure did for you today 👍 

26 minutes ago, bennybear said:

9F31B997-5779-44FF-86C9-975EDAE27662.jpeg

What an absolutely incredible shot!  Beautiful!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Sounds like interesting changes on the Vof V but I’m sure some will be disappointed to miss Dublin. 

I agree.  When we did the VOV we had an overnight in Dublin, and we've been there on other cruise(s) so we'd be ok with that change but others who haven't been to Dublin might be disappointed.  

• Like 13

New cast on and boy is it different. My fingers are totally free and thumb to first knuckle. This guy knew what he was doing. It is tighter but he said the other was to loose and I agree. I felt like I could have wiggled out of it in a few days as the swelling improves. I am not saying I am happy to have it but it is better.

• Like 26

Even though it was still windy and partly cloudy, I got  a long walk in this afternoon.  It feels good to be able to get outside even for a little while.

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiseryour plan to continue through Sunday works for me. I can resume on Monday. Thank you for your help!

If you need more time to unwind, just let me know.  Save travels home tomorrow.

3 hours ago, dfish said:

Oh,  yes.  Last summer on The Best of Norway we ended up going to Eidfjord twice.  I know it is a tiny fjord town with mostly a waterfall and power plant to look at.  But, it is a beautiful little fjord town. There is some great hiking in Eidfjord and we took full advantage of it.  The RIB adventure was a great one as well. 

I went and got my 8 Medicare provided test kits after exercise class this morning.  Haven't checked the expiration date yet.  Next time I go upstairs.  I do have a question.  Do I have to wait until March 17th to get the next month's allotment or can I pick those up anytime in March?  The pharmacist said they had not gotten any directives about the program ending yet.

The plow guy came and since the garbage pick up hadn't come by then, I took mine out.  They picked it up while I was at class.  So, no stinky garbage in the garage.  

Debbie, it seems you had another lucky day.

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all! 
Sounds like interesting changes on the Vof V but I’m sure some will be disappointed to miss Dublin. 
it’s very rainy for the next few days but I caught a lovely sunset to keep you warm! 

Absolutely a beautiful sunset, Brenda.

4 hours ago, NextOne said:

Those of us on this year's Voyage of the Vikings were notified yesterday of some port changes.  Bergen has been replaced with Lerwick, Shetland Islands, and Dublin changed to Sornoway, Isle of Lewis. Remarkably little grumbling about the changes since very few have been to either of the new ports. I'm pleased, too! Have any other Dailyites had the experience of being happier with a revised itinerary than the original?

Have a good day, friends!

Edi

Edi, changes in itinerary happen, and how we feel depends on the ports involved.  However, we have learned to enjoy any port for what it has to offer.

19 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

New cast on and boy is it different. My fingers are totally free and thumb to first knuckle. This guy knew what he was doing. It is tighter but he said the other was to loose and I agree. I felt like I could have wiggled out of it in a few days as the swelling improves. I am not saying I am happy to have it but it is better.

Lorraine, I'm happy you got a new cast, and that it is better than the last one.  It helps to get a tech who knows what they are doing.

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

This afternoon I participated in something that could probably be considered public science, the NASA Earth to Sky Partnership. Its purpose is communication between NASA scientist and educators, artists and writers, but today's presentation was by a professor of public health, about effective science communication and trusted sources of information.

This afternoon I opened my last package of government-supplied covid tests, in preparation for re-testing tomorrow morning. I have an order under Medicare ready for pickup at a pharmacy.

Then I opened a bottle of kosher rosé from France. I would have been satisfied with cardboardeaux, but haven't been able to go out to buy any.

• Like 17

What a great set of days and I like the quote. Vanessa please take me and my son off of the care lists. I expect I will have surgery after I see the back surgeon in about 2 weeks.

Loved the pictures of the port.  

I hope everyone has a peaceful Friday.  

• Like 12

4 hours ago, dfish said:

I went and got my 8 Medicare provided test kits after exercise class this morning.  Haven't checked the expiration date yet.  Next time I go upstairs.  I do have a question.  Do I have to wait until March 17th to get the next month's allotment or can I pick those up anytime in March?  The pharmacist said they had not gotten any directives about the program ending yet.  

It's my understanding you can get test kits every calendar month. I plan to get some next week, and maybe toward the end of March, for my April trip.

3 hours ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all! 
it’s very rainy for the next few days but I caught a lovely sunset to keep you warm! 

Beautiful sunset!

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Paulines friend sent another photo of the Northern Lights.

Graham.

IMG-20230217-WA0000.jpg

Another great photo. I hope to get to see them one day.

1 hour ago, cruising sister said:

Good news that the new case is more comfortable. 

@tupper10 Sorry to hear surgery might be necessary.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, bennybear said:

Wow!  That is incredibly beautiful.   

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Paulines friend sent another photo of the Northern Lights.

Graham.

IMG-20230217-WA0000.jpg

That's pretty spectacular!  Thank you for sharing it.

2 hours ago, cruising sister said:

So glad the new cast is working out better.  The previous one sounded like it would cause problems rather than help the healing.  Wishing you the best. 

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Even though it was still windy and partly cloudy, I got  a long walk in this afternoon.  It feels good to be able to get outside even for a little while.

Isn't that the truth!

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Debbie, it seems you had another lucky day.

February has been a good month so far.  I wonder if that rabbit thing had anything to do with it.

45 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

It's my understanding you can get test kits every calendar month. I plan to get some next week, and maybe toward the end of March, for my April trip.

Thanks!  I'll try early in March and then early in April.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Roy @rafinmd or anyone interested in ferries or Alaska, the Science channel had an interesting program tonight.  The first half of Alaska Mega Machines was about the Alaska Marine Highway ferry Tustumena, and fhe second half is about the Dalton Highway, the haul road to Prudhoe Bay.  If you are interested and missed it, it will probably be repeated.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 7

Before I go back and read what has happened during the day, @kazu picture actually happened to us today, of course minus the snow

A8740D40-FEBA-4B2F-8C44-9B8C392817AB.jpeg.968238c7087a2055c837b4c6fc3c800c.jpeg

I took a break from the phones and walked into the den, and noticed that the back door from the car port was open, and there were two cats in my house....that didn't live in my house...Feral Fawn and Bubbles had wandered in after the wind (which was really blowing today) had blown the back door open.  I have no idea how long the door had been open, I sit in another room with a view of the wall.  I do think that DH might have felt a breeze, but who knows...so there they were, and I said, OH NO! and they ran out into the car port.  I was not upset that they were in, but who might have made an escape!!!  So I had to do a cat search, all were accounted for (the indoor cats are wimps), only Bobagingee was curious.  and he was in stalk mode!  I think Fawn would have been OK< but not Mr. Bubbles.  Tonight, Fawn is on the porch with the heater, Bubbles has disappeared and the indoor kitties are all safe and sound.

• Like 14

@grapau27if you look closely at the cloud in the middle of the bottom of the pict7ure, it looks like a pig's head, so it is true that pigs can fly.

IMG-20230217-WA0000.jpg

and yes, I do need new glasses.....'

@bennybearFantastic photo!

Well DH just got off work, and needs the computer, so night all, have peaceful dreams.

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, tupper10 said:

What a great set of days and I like the quote. Vanessa please take me and my son off of the care lists. I expect I will have surgery after I see the back surgeon in about 2 weeks.

Loved the pictures of the port.  

I hope everyone has a peaceful Friday.  

I'm sorry you might be facing back surgery.  There are now two types of back surgery, one which uses the traditional rods abd metal screws, and a newer one that is less invasive and uses polymer zip ties instead.  Both take a long recovery time.  You would need to decide what is best for you.  I just wanted you to know the options so you could decide which is best for you.  

15 minutes ago, dfish said:

Isn't that the truth!

February has been a good month so far.  I wonder if that rbbit thing had anything to do 

Debbie, just being outside to sit and read is restorative.  After forgetting to say rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit on November 1, and November starting as a bad month, I'm not taking chances.  At midnight on New Year's Eve, before I wished DH Happy New Year, I said  rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit.  I just hope I don't forget again.

7 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Before I go back and read what has happened during the day, @kazu picture actually happened to us today, of course minus the snow

A8740D40-FEBA-4B2F-8C44-9B8C392817AB.jpeg.968238c7087a2055c837b4c6fc3c800c.jpeg

I took a break from the phones and walked into the den, and noticed that the back door from the car port was open, and there were two cats in my house....that didn't live in my house...Feral Fawn and Bubbles had wandered in after the wind (which was really blowing today) had blown the back door open.  I have no idea how long the door had been open, I sit in another room with a view of the wall.  I do think that DH might have felt a breeze, but who knows...so there they were, and I said, OH NO! and they ran out into the car port.  I was not upset that they were in, but who might have made an escape!!!  So I had to do a cat search, all were accounted for (the indoor cats are wimps), only Bobagingee was curious.  and he was in stalk mode!  I think Fawn would have been OK< but not Mr. Bubbles.  Tonight, Fawn is on the porch with the heater, Bubbles has disappeared and the indoor kitties are all safe and sound.

Annie, I'm happy all the cats are where they should be.

Lenda

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

My Wal-mart pharmacy has been very strict about being 30 days between Medicare Covid test pick up. I plan on going tomorrow and again next month before they stop in April. So if you picked some up today you still have time for more next month. Remember it is 8 tests per month for each Medicare recipient. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, tupper10 said:

Thank you Lenda I will ask about the one using the zip ties. 

Right now there are not many doctors who use the new method.  It is still spinal fusion, but uses polymer "zip ties" or fixation device instead of the metal screws and rods.  The ties are put in place using the Karma device.  Full recovery still takes about a year either way.  You might want to look up Karma MIS system.  Still, you will need to decide what is best for you and your condition.

Lenda

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2