Parking in Miami and should I arrive a day early?

Squid4

if you are driving the 'arrive a day early' doesn't really apply .... that's mostly for airline hiccups . . . but do give extra time in case you have traffic issues on the final stretch of I-95.

parking wise if you dig thru this thread you find that the majority opinion is park at the port as off site parking in Miami has more bad reviews then good. I lived there for over 10 years and continue to cruise from there ... worked downtown and at the port. Parking downtown is hard to find and/or expensive .... any 'low cost' cruise parking is gonna be sketchy as the port is smack downtown. If I really wanted to save a few bucks parking I'd consider something out by the airport which I DID use often when work required me to fly and had no issues. But costs for transport to/from the port from here will eat any savings. I tried port off site one and that was a disaster!

• Thanks 1

Are you driving from Charleston, SC all in one go?  I'm guessing that is around 9 hours so you will need to leave in the dead of night to ensure that you get to Miami in time for embarkation.  And then hope there are no accidents on I-95 tying up traffic.  Alternatively drive closer to Miami (say, northern Broward County or Palm Beach County) and spend the night there, have a leisurely breakfast and then drive to Port Miami.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We drive from Charlotte NC to port Miami to cruise. We always drive in the day before even when we used to only have a 5 hour drive when we lived in Mississippi cruising out of New Orleans. Never know you could have car trouble or anything can happen. Plus, love waking up day of cruise right next to the port, opening the windows and seeing the ship after a great night sleep rested to start our vacation. 

• Thanks 1

I'm coming in closer from Daytona area, about 3-1/2 hours. Is there more than one parking garage specifically for the cruise terminals? Do you need to make a reservation or pay on arrival? Any guarantee there is parking available? Is it in a garage or open lot?

in general there is a garage 'assigned' to each terminal. There is no reservation system. I've never heard of ALL the garages being full .... in general for any cruise the number of folks/cars leaving the garages from previous cruise is equal to the number arriving for next cruise. but if you think about it this suggests arriving EARLY may not be a good idea . . . let people get OUT.

image.thumb.png.eb1beaf0ec589810efeaac97f8683f1a.png

Edited by Capt_BJ

The Intercontinental Doral has a park and cruise package. Up to 14 days of parking and a $25 Uber gift card to help pay for transportation to the port. Total for our cruise in May is a little over $300.

Parking assumes you are driving your car. We have a Plan B to drive overnight if our Friday flight is canceled. Arriving a day early is 100% dependent on your vehicle reliability and how far you have to drive in. For us, it is a 13-hour drive. We would wind up driving about 9 hours on Friday, crash at a hotel near Vero Beach/Fort Pierce. Then make the rest of the drive the next morning after about a 5-hour nap and shower.