Housekeeping moving to once a day?

Donsyb

27 minutes ago, resetjet said:

The question was raised as to what is the current tip allotment.

Before the grats were $14.50.

$3.55 steward 24%

$6.25 dining 43%

$4.70 hotel  33 percent

Now at $18 it stands to reason

$4.50 steward 24%

$7.74 dining 43%

$5.92 hotel 33%

Not sure when Hotel was added. When I started Cruising Royal was only Waiter, Asst Waiter and Room Attendant. Prices were something like $1.25, .50 and $1.25, might been less on my first Cruises like $1, .50 and $1. On my first two Cruises Waiter had two 8 passenger Tables and Asst had 4 Tables. And this back when you sat all 3 meals at same table with same staff

Edited by ONECRUISER

21 minutes ago, resetjet said:

The question was raised as to what is the current tip allotment.

Before the grats were $14.50.

$3.55 steward 24%

$6.25 dining 43%

$4.70 hotel  33 percent

Now at $18 it stands to reason

$4.50 steward 24%

$7.74 dining 43%

$5.92 hotel 33%

Easily could have all gone to other hotel.

Never assume that any increase is across the board and even

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I think you might want to check that.  $14.50 was the "non-suite" amount before.  $18 is the "suite" amount now.  I believe "non-suite" is currently $16.

darn, now I have to re-compute.  if that's the case.

$16.

$3.84 steward

$6.88 dining

$5.28 hotel.

3 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I think you might want to check that.  $14.50 was the "non-suite" amount before.  $18 is the "suite" amount now.  I believe "non-suite" is currently $16.

Norwegian now is very nice - $20 up to balcony.

14 hours ago, Kbonner said:

Being from Europe and reading the excessive tipping issues here, I tend to think that - isolated to US citizen- they have a tipping inferiority complex. Standing by for corrections.

You are correct in a way....it was instilled in me by my parents, to never be stingy towards others, and this went for those in tipped positions who provide a service. I empathize with them for their hard work and want them to know that they are appreciated. It's not a large sum of money, $20 in today's world doesn't amount to much. Hardly a "bribe" in my opinion. People who do otherwise, are perfectly entitled, it's none of my business. 

• Like 2

On 2/20/2023 at 8:33 PM, Ocean Boy said:

I am confused, what is it about a suite that it requires twice a day service but lesser cabins don't?

I don't know. I don't need it regardless of the category.

On 2/20/2023 at 8:53 PM, poocher said:

Sorry, confirming 2 a day for Junior Suites too?

Yes, if that is what the person in the Js wants.

On 2/19/2023 at 3:36 AM, little britain said:

I didn’t even want to know why they need the bed making twice a day…!!! Unless they are having a lot of  “mommy and daddy time” 💕 

We have never asked for ice. What is the need for ice? And why twice a day? What am I missing?

I need ice for my ice pack (chronic migraine) so appreciate having ice twice a day (and always tip extra for this), but also long as I can guarantee the evening before bed, I’ll be just fine. It’s just not as good; at home, I have access to and use ice packs at least 12 hours a day.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CatLadyFemme said:

I need ice for my ice pack (chronic migraine) so appreciate having ice twice a day (and always tip extra for this), but also long as I can guarantee the evening before bed, I’ll be just fine. It’s just not as good; at home, I have access to and use ice packs at least 12 hours a day.

It is interesting how what used to be part of routine service evolves into being considered extra. But then I guess this entire threat is about paying more for less and paying even more to get back some of what is being removed.

It won't be long before people are writing that if you want two sets of towels a day then you should be tipping more for that evening set.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

On 2/21/2023 at 9:04 AM, resetjet said:

Everyone is a big tipper from the keyboard. 

I love the people who toss around numbers such as "we always give our steward $25/day or something similar.  Really?  I doubt it with all the complaining about other costs.   I've seen FB posts about tipping where people brag about handing out a certain amount and then someone else comes on to say they give more than that.  

• Like 6

5 hours ago, CatLadyFemme said:

You can get ice at various locations all day. (Dining room, any bar, WJ, ). We hope to have morning service but if ice is melted in the evening will just bring the ice bucket to dinner  and ask for a refill.

m

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, BND said:

I love the people who toss around numbers such as "we always give our steward $25/day or something similar.  Really?  I doubt it with all the complaining about other costs.   I've seen FB posts about tipping where people brag about handing out a certain amount and then someone else comes on to say they give more than that.  

Bingo.  And they throw out these 'brags' right after complaining about the $1.50/day increase in gratuities.  Posting the 2 opposing comments made by individuals would be interesting, but w/ the nark-on-your-neighbor program running rampant, truth just finds its way to a cc timeout.

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

You can get ice at various locations all day. (Dining room, any bar, WJ, ). We hope to have morning service but if ice is melted in the evening will just bring the ice bucket to dinner  and ask for a refill.

m

Since it had never really been the "job" of MDR staff to be filling ice buckets should the trail of people arriving with them plan on tipping per refill?

Heck, from some posts that I've been reading they are having enough trouble just getting out in a timely manner. I can just picture tables in the MDR with ice buckets all over them waiting to be filled.😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Since it had never really been the "job" of MDR staff to be filling ice buckets should the trail of people arriving with them plan on tipping per refill?

I can just picture tables in the MDR with ice buckets all over them.😆

Not sure it was the job of room steward to provide ice multiple times per day. 

2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Not sure it was the job of room steward to provide ice multiple times per day. 

Then who is it that filled the bucket twice a day back in the day? We never asked for ice it just appeared with twice a day cabin service. Then it was changed to just ask for it if you want it in the name of conservation... but then I suspect you already know all this.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Then who is it that filled the bucket twice a day back in the day? We never asked for ice it just appeared with twice a day cabin service.

I just remember it once a day. 🤔

But honestly I've been telling them no ice for years. It always made a mess sweating.

FWIW, something like 280 million Americans have no idea what happened 'back in the day'

Maybe that's the direction they're heading. New blood

Edited by John&LaLa

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Only the ones who removed their autips because only their stateroom stewards and *their* MDR waiters serve them directly🙂

2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I just remember it once a day. 🤔

But honestly I've been telling them no ice for years. It always made a mess sweating.

I, personally, could give a crap about ice too. This isn't specifically about ice or about your or my personal preferences. But, once again, I suspect you already know this.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

FWIW, something like 280 million Americans have no idea what happened 'back in the day'

Maybe that's the direction they're heading. New blood

Maybe.I guess we will know for sure when you feel that boot in your butt when walking down the gangway.

• Haha 2

I cant wait to read these posts after most of you try it.  I have and its a major downgrade.  I am the guy who often tells the stewart not to bother cleaning alot.  It sounds fine until you try it.  When you start skipping days because you decided to sleep in and you were assigned morning,  or are beat from a long day and need a nap in evening,  all of these problems are magnified.  Before if you skipped one,  no big deal. That and coming back to your room and its being cleaned happens alot.

• Like 2

I’ll be interested to hear reports of how it’s going since it started on most ships this week right?  

New cruisers will not know the difference.

Sometimes change is hard.  

Gone are the chocolate’s on the pillow, the midnight buffet, the chocolate buffet, pool towels left in the room for you, towel animals every night, ordering special items in the dining room, the list goes on.  While I think a decrease in these things brings us to more “Budget of the Seas” complaining will not bring it back.  If I want a more luxurious cruise experience now I’m going to have to pay for it on another less mainstream line. I guess it’s how do you want to spend your money?  You can decide, is it more cruises or an elevated experience with twice a day cabin service?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, resetjet said:

I cant wait to read these posts after most of you try it.  I have and its a major downgrade.  I am the guy who often tells the stewart not to bother cleaning alot.  It sounds fine until you try it.  When you start skipping days because you decided to sleep in and you were assigned morning,  or are beat from a long day and need a nap in evening,  all of these problems are magnified.  Before if you skipped one,  no big deal. That and coming back to your room and its being cleaned happens alot.

As has been mentioned, if you haven't experienced it, you won't miss the twice a day services.  

As far as the "wait until you try it", I have... every time I've stayed in a hotel.  Now hotels are going to every 4-5 days before you get a service.  Even when we had daily service, we never had a hotel employee set up/tear down the sofa bed.  Or deliver ice (seems to be a big deal to some).

If you don't get the service you want, feel free to find another cruise line that does offer it.  You're not beholden to RCI.  In fact, I hope a LOT of people feel that way and abandon RCI.  Then cruises will get cheaper and hopefully less crowded. 

Edited by S.A.M.J.R.
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

As has been mentioned, if you haven't experienced it, you won't miss the twice a day services.  

As far as the "wait until you try it", I have... every time I've stayed in a hotel.  Now hotels are going to every 4-5 days before you get a service.  Even when we had daily service, we never had a hotel employee set up/tear down the sofa bed.  Or deliver ice (seems to be a big deal to some).

If you don't get the service you want, feel free to find another cruise line that does offer it.  You're not beholden to RCI.  In fact, I hope a LOT of people feel that way and abandon RCI.  Then cruises will get cheaper and hopefully less crowded. 

All mainstream lines are or will be doing it.  Its just one more x of one of the things that makes cruising what it is.  Hotels mean absolutely nothing in the conversation, nor cabins, campsites, bed and breakfast or any other type of lodging.  They are all different animals.....zebra to a horse.  

Unfortunately, we will just have to grin and bear it.  We unfortunately cannot tell a cruise line how to run their business.  I guess its a race to the bottom.  

• Like 1

Just got back from the Indy.  Loved the one day service.  Picked evening.  It was nice to come and go during the day without wondering when/if my cabin would be done.  It was always ready after I got back from Dinner.  It was a four day cruise and I even skipped yesterday which was the last day. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

m

It would be so much easier if passengers who want/need ice could access an ice machine on each deck. I'd gladly fill my own bucket. 

• Like 8