Beyond- still beyond creaking and clicking

Dylan0474mac

I experienced this banging noise on Beyond in an IV cabin, 7161, in November 2022.  I reported it on these boards.  We sailed Apex, IV cabin 7231, in November of 2023 and experienced no noise issues.  We’ve also sailed Edge several times in IV cabins with no noise issues.  This leads me to believe the Edge and Apex don’t suffer (at least to the extent) from the noise issues that Beyond does.  That worries me about subsequent builds.  We are sailing soon on Beyond in a Sunset Veranda and I haven’t heard reports of these aft cabins being affected.  I’ll report if our cabin does.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

I experienced this banging noise on Beyond in an IV cabin, 7161, in November 2022.  I reported it on these boards.  We sailed Apex, IV cabin 7231, in November of 2023 and experienced no noise issues.  We’ve also sailed Edge several times in IV cabins with no noise issues.  This leads me to believe the Edge and Apex don’t suffer (at least to the extent) from the noise issues that Beyond does.  That worries me about subsequent builds.  We are sailing soon on Beyond in a Sunset Veranda and I haven’t heard reports of these aft cabins being affected.  I’ll report if our cabin does.

I believe it may have something to do with the fact that both Beyond and Ascent are wider and a bit longer than Edge and Apex. Just something with the interior structure that just isn't quite right on those ships. I would not be surprised if Xcel has the same issue once it sails. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Stem to Stern said:

I will pack extra Benadryl for BEYOND.

I should NOT have to have this concern.

We didn't pack enough and checked in St Maarten - they were selling 2 tablets for $3.00 so I decided to pass and hope snap, crackle and pop leave us. I really don't like taking it because it gives me a hangover in the morning. Last night I put my Seabands on and it might be psychological but I think they help with sleep as well as with seasickness (which we have had none! yay!) DH did earplugs but I just can't stand them.

You are correct - should not be a concern. We are having an amazing cruise but it would feel so much more carefree if we didn't have to deal with the noises.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RK-NC said:

Last night I put my Seabands on

Interesting, but I have never heard of these until now.

They are easily available and inexpensive at Target.

It might be worth picking up a pair and tossing them in the case.

This idea also makes me think my knit headband might go in also.

It might provide similar comfort as a Thundershirt does for a cat or dog.

Although it may seem strange to pack winter weather gear for a Caribbean cruise, hubs always brings his knit cap to keep his head warm and toasty while sleeping at night.

Again, we should not have to be having this conversation.

20 minutes ago, Stem to Stern said:

Although it may seem strange to pack winter weather gear for a Caribbean cruise, hubs always brings his knit cap to keep his head warm and toasty while sleeping at night.

3 hours ago, Mariastreby said:

Where in the cruise (like 8th or 9th day) was that Q & A? We’re on the ship now, and would love to know how she’d deflect that question. 

Sorry about your bad cabin noise. We’re just up the hall in SS 9173, and have totally lucked out. Perhaps a maintenance person could have dealt with that fridge issue. Now we’re more nervous about booking the same cabin on the Ascent next year. But has anyone seen if there’s also a thread about noise issues on it also? I imagine it would have the exact same shipyard building faults. 

it was on I believe the 10th or 11th day of our 11 night cruise (Sea Day). Capt. Kate didn't deflect the question, all questions are written down and put in a box. The cruise directory then picked out questions for the Captain  

1 hour ago, Tulsacoker said:

it was on I believe the 10th or 11th day of our 11 night cruise (Sea Day). Capt. Kate didn't deflect the question, all questions are written down and put in a box. The cruise directory then picked out questions for the Captain  

I lost track of  Cap comments re Creakingm

Was the ques about the noise picked  by the CD & what did she say?

7 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

The CD did not give Captain Kate the question re noise.  Surprise.

So the fix is in. Soft balls only!

Maybe the cat knows?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don‘t understand why people ar still booking this ships and even with noise state they had a great cruise. If you are not even able to sleep which is a basic requirement your expensive cruise is simply ruined. And I don‘t understand how Celebrity can still praise this ships as the greatest, they should be ashamed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

I don‘t understand why people ar still booking this ships and even with noise state they had a great cruise. If you are not even able to sleep which is a basic requirement your expensive cruise is simply ruined. And I don‘t understand how Celebrity can still praise this ships as the greatest, they should be ashamed.

I generally agree.  Cruising is a bubble, and my take is many customers tolerate issues and react to things differently than they would on land.  

In our case, our room had a tolerable amount of noise and nothing as bad as what others have reportedly experienced most of the time.  It's relative, but we all slept through the noise except on the rough sea days that increased the noise and sloshing.  With that said, we still complained, questioned senior officers and had other issues. We had a good trip but that was despite the room noise and other issues.  We probably would not go back on Beyond.  Apex and Edge were more solid builds.  The older ships, and for now, the 10 - 20 year old cabins and reports of rotting older ships don't do anything for us.

As someone that has and does travel extensively (non cruises) there is a unique psychological effect that seems to take hold of customers being on an advanced booked, prepaid cruise experience where there is no choice or options once onboard.  Few want to admit or believe a bad time. Plus Celebrity creates its own alternative universe and may actively try to keep public info on the issue quiet.  

The effect of everything is that customers are muted, they want to have a good time (and may have mitigating factors at play, like an unlimited drink package, love of a certain food item, fast friends with crew, etc) and that the cruise lines take advantage. 

On top of that, for some reason many cruise passengers tolerate the rigid excuses given  that impinge on what one usually expects for reasonable hospitality (like a Retreat lounge that won't serve snacks except at fixed times, and they are straight from the OVC, butlergate, food cutbacks, perks listed that are illusory or already included, concierge lunch that happens before assigned check in times, etc) and the accepted cruise industry practice of building hotel cabins and spaces with no intent or plan to keep them fresh or renovated.  It's even accepted that the senior officers get to gawk at the passengers in the plaza and become the entertainment (like the q and a or pool volleyball), but not acknowledge actual issues.  

Edited by Cap_D

I wonder if Travel Agents disclose the creaking , banging  & loud  noise potential ( which they should),  and people still go ahead  and take a chance it won't happen to them?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hcat said:

So the fix is in. Soft balls only!

Maybe the cat knows?

She will let you know what is her favorite jewelry store on board or when you can take a photo with her.   Questions such as the banging in the rooms  and why the heavy trail of smoke accompanying the ship were not asked.  Inquiring minds want to know.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2024 at 6:41 AM, Mariastreby said:

For you, and possibly others who mentioned MC SS’s in the past, are you in one of the two corner cabins on the MC, or one of the two in between? It always looked to me as if those corner cabins would have more wind and air stream pushing against them. In other words, that there is more stress put on various joints in the cabin. 

We were in the aft/corner MC SS on Edge (10176) for 21 days. Very quiet in calm seas. Average in moderate seas. In rough seas, with wind blowing directly toward the cabin it was a creaking, clicking, noisy mess.  We had at least 4 bad sleep nights.  The greasing of the slider helped a bit, but the popping noises did not cease. We sailed in a same location on deck 8 on Apex in the Caribbean with zero noise issues.

• Like 1

As to why people continue to book Beyond, I don’t know how many people who either reported here or experienced noises but are unaware of Cruise Critic (🙀) are actually giving Beyond another try.  I know I mentioned in my post +301 that I’m only giving Beyond another chance because I’m booking an aft Sunset Veranda.  So many people here have read the comments but not experienced the noises first hand and poo poo the complaints as “all ships make noises while sailing.”

If I experience the same banging hammer and bowling ball noises I had in an IV in the Sunset Veranda, you can absolutely believe I will not sail Beyond again!

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

As to why people continue to book Beyond, I don’t know how many people who either reported here or experienced noises but are unaware of Cruise Critic (🙀) are actually giving Beyond another try.  I know I mentioned in my post +301 that I’m only giving Beyond another chance because I’m booking an aft Sunset Veranda.  So many people here have read the comments but not experienced the noises first hand and poo poo the complaints as “all ships make noises while sailing.”

If I experience the same banging hammer and bowling ball noises I had in an IV in the Sunset Veranda, you can absolutely believe I will not sail Beyond again!

I couldn’t agree more with those people who say that exact thing when they haven’t experienced the noise themselves. We are really crossing our fingers and toes that our same good luck right now in 9173 on Beyond will carry over to the Ascent. Just reserved the same cabin number for the April 20, 2025 crossing from FL to Rome. I really hope we don’t regret it. 🤞🤞

• Like 1

1 hour ago, helen haywood said:

The other comment is that the ship needs to be broken in.  OMG.   I heard the noises when at a social function in a high end suite.  It would have really bothered me paying all that money and getting such a room.  An occupant said that he kept the tv on and wore ear plugs at night.  We were lucky and am not about to press my luck again.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Cap_D said:

I reports of rotting older ships don't do anything for us.

??? please elaborate.

We are considering Constellation next year.

23 hours ago, Stem to Stern said:

One cab check local pharmacy for sea bands OTC or even airportt stores..

Some remedies may help with sea sickness or Vertigo,  but I see no value if a room is Loudly Creaking... that's a NOISE PROBLEM!   

On 4/16/2024 at 9:43 PM, Cruisegirl6 said:

Its very annoying and sad that people can't sleep due to these noises.  We are going on the beyond next week because she goes to the ABC islands and is a 8 night cruise, we only have been getting balcony cabins for over 25 years now, we decided not to chance having this problem so we chose a deluxe oceanview stateroom on deck 8 very forward, and so far nobody has mentioned about these noises on these cabins or any of the oceanview cabins or inside cabins.  Will I miss the balcony, no, I rather sleep and not have the balcony lol  I really feel bad for everybody who couldn't sleep.

Our travel mates were in that cabin on the Beyond and had some noise but were no where near as bad as we were,  They were able to sleep and likely would not have mentioned it if we hadn't.

Good luck!!

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, mafig said:

??? please elaborate.

We are considering Constellation next year.

You may have a great time, and it may fit your needs.  I find it hard to justify some of the pricing when the ships are 10-20+ years old and untouched in meaningful ways, e.g., same decor, cabin, etc. as 20 years ago.  Hotels would usually update, discount, or rebadge to signify they aren't at the level any longer.  Celebrity seems to march forward, and 20 years from now we'll still be wondering if the next Beyond drydock will fix the noise issue, dated decor, and maybe the magic carpet (which I like, but could see being permanently abandoned (such is the way of cruise lines and hotels with revolving restaurants) if maintenance is needed).

Recent threads on here have had reports of older ships breaking down like Summit, rusting on various ships, and ancient cabins (fixture, cabins, carpet, HVAC systems, etc.). 

For some video on cabins that may fall into the needs work category:  

And

None are the ship you're looking at, but they cause me to think most of the older ships are left with whatever it had on opening day and a friendly crew. 

One would need to do the analysis, but most do not seem substantially discounted compared to E Class for comparable itinerary and dates.  (I don't see discounts happening where the older ships are being sold at budget prices out of the gate.  Perhaps only if it's a shoulder period, they don't sell, a block is released, etc.). 

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 1

On 4/17/2024 at 7:10 AM, RK-NC said:

We are having a blast but we will not sail Beyond again and likely not an e-class ship again.

Well, I'm amending this. We are enjoying everything about Beyond so much (except for the noise) so we might sail Apex. I think I read that it will switch to Port Canaveral in 2025 or 2026? Would be a closer drive for us. We have absolutely NO CREAKING tonight! We're going much slower on our way to St. Kitts so I think that's one reason. Fingers crossed for a quiet night.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RK-NC said:

Well, I'm amending this. We are enjoying everything about Beyond so much (except for the noise) so we might sail Apex. I think I read that it will switch to Port Canaveral in 2025 or 2026? Would be a closer drive for us. We have absolutely NO CREAKING tonight! We're going much slower on our way to St. Kitts so I think that's one reason. Fingers crossed for a quiet night.

When we approached Antigua this morning it was hard to tell we were even moving - so smooth. But last night, when the show was going on, and aerialists were doing daring stunts, the ship was definitely swaying. Not sure about extra cabin noise that people heard overnight, but I held my breath watching those young athletes doing their aerial and balancing “gymnastics”. They were awesome, but even more so when the stage under them wasn’t steady. 

• Like 1