The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday February 21st, 2023

StLouisCruisers

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Today is Mardi Gras / Fat Tuesday, Card Reading Day, and International Mother Language Day

You don't have to be the Dalai Lama to tell people that life's about change. - John Cleese

Meal Suggestion for today - Flank Steak
Drink of the Day - Bakers Midnight Manhattan
Wine of the Day - Nalle Zinfandel Dry Creek Valley 2019
Destination of the Day - St John Island USVI, Cruz Bay, US Virgin Islands

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida eta 3-04

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Kailua-Kona, Hawaii Island eta 2-24

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination San Juan, Puerto Rico eta 2-22

Nieuw Statendam

Grand Cayman Island, George Town Harbour 09:00 - 18:00

Oosterdam

Puerto Chacabuco, Chile 07:00 - 15:00

Rotterdam

Willemstad Curacao, Netherlands Antilles 08:00 - 23:00

Volendam

Salvador de Bahia, Brazil 09:00 - 23:00

Zaandam

Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico Riviera 07:00 - 15:00

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Tauranga, Rotorua, New Zealand 13:00 - 23:00

Westerdam

Celukan Bawang, Bali Indonesia 08:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

Fremantle, Perth, Western Australia 17:00 Depart

image.thumb.png.5ec4dd341a9cf69a4054cfe4f3ad48cd.png

I don't see Eurodam on the map this morning

image.thumb.png.5d531ae1ffcfb993124d700019139798.png

Sandi for Roy and Rich

Eurodam is in dry dock.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

Good morning! No problem sleeping here! My trip to the dentist yesterday was short and sweet but it wasn’t a cheap visit! Laundry did not get done yesterday so will give that another shot today.

Already 67 degrees out and we’ll enjoy mid seventies most of our daylight hours. 
Hard to believe tomorrow is the start of Lent and Ash Wednesday. This year is going by fast.

Debbie your flank steak recipes look inviting and delicious. Thanks for your time in searching and posting great recipes for all of us to enjoy or at the least drool over!

Prayers for all in need.

Bruce

image.jpeg.33c17cfa69210eb51593f968fc769e0e.jpegimage.jpeg.42b5b3d2907b25d33e97e98fcdb3be00.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.21a9b9e86365ecebfa211c4a66234a46.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2f1d0c66699dc6311ece98bf265f2a10.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Haha 19

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites!  The computer says rain coming......I just heard on the news that San Diego may see flurries, so I guess something is coming to everyone this week.

The last year that I lived in NJ,  1979, I went to a psychic fair and had my cards read.  She told me I will never be lucky in love, and that I was going to move far away.  That was on a Saturday.  On Monday I got into work, and my bosses called me into their office, and told me that I was getting promoted to one of the regional offices, but I had my choice of where I wanted to go.  I chose St. Louis, but within a week they closed that office, and I was going to move to Atlanta.  My parents had been gone for a few months, and they came home and told me they were moving to Florida.  I told them, cool, I'm moving to Atlanta.  But that was the end of home up north.

7e998ddde79ed0df219b27c1de01be03.jpg

@ger_77I love that you and I speak the same languages!  I also dabble with "tongue in cheek" but don't have that down completely yet.

I slept horribly last night, too much coffee while working last night.  Finally fell asleep at 2, but woke up at 4. But I just climb back into bed, and move a few cats around and fall back asleep,  Furnando wont let me sleep past 8, HE must be fed.

85b52fb480112d6cfc783840b11e7608.jpg

• Like 20
  • Haha 11

Good morning from Bluffton, SC and back to reality.

Thank you to Sandi @StLouisCruisers for the Daily and Fleet Report.  Appreciate you taking over at this time.  Hope you enjoyed your cruise.

Thanks also to Vanessa @JazzyVfor the Cares and Celebration List.  

Prayers for everyone who needs them.

I slept really well last night.  I was exhausted.  Just needed to crash.

Will try to catch up with you all today.

Have a good day everyone.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

45 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I've never had my cards read, but someone read my palm once.  My mother language is English, my second language is sarcasm.  

It's cold out there this morning - DH will have to break out his quilted tie!  We're currently sitting at -28C and there's a decent wind, bringing the wind chill temp to -36C.  Apparently we're going to be having this until Saturday or Sunday, so we should really hunker down.  But we won't.  As soon as the dental office opens at 8, I'll be making a call to get an appointment.  Then we have to dismantle our PC tower and take it to Staples where they'll transfer all the files and set up our new tower for us.  We checked around the ended up purchasing an Acer Aspire with 1T of storage and a processor that will seem lightning fast compared to what we have now.  It was funny, when we walked into one computer store, the clerk (who looked like he was maybe 12 years old) asked if we were gamers.  DH looked and said "Seriously, do we look like gamers?  I still rub sticks together to make fire."  I added "And he thinks you can fix a computer with an axe". 

It's Shrove Tuesday, so I'll be passing on today's flank steak recipe - but @dfishthanks for your Dad's marinade; I'll be tucking that away in my file.  It'll be pancakes, syrup and bacon at the kitchen table for us tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for all who are in need, especially those with natural and man-made disasters.  Hearty cheers to all with celebrations happening.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂

Gerry   

Gerry, I am glad to hear that I am not the only person that sarcasm is a second language for me.  Although some people might say that English is my second language and sarcasm is the first.  Oh well, it is what it is.

• Like 17
  • Haha 9

28 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning! No problem sleeping here! My trip to the dentist yesterday was short and sweet but it wasn’t a cheap visit! Laundry did not get done yesterday so will give that another shot today.

Already 67 degrees out and we’ll enjoy mid seventies most of our daylight hours. 
Hard to believe tomorrow is the start of Lent and Ash Wednesday. This year is going by fast.

Debbie your flank steak recipes look inviting and delicious. Thanks for your time in searching and posting great recipes for all of us to enjoy or at the least drool over!

Prayers for all in need.

Bruce

image.jpeg.33c17cfa69210eb51593f968fc769e0e.jpegimage.jpeg.42b5b3d2907b25d33e97e98fcdb3be00.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.21a9b9e86365ecebfa211c4a66234a46.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2f1d0c66699dc6311ece98bf265f2a10.jpeg

Referring to the man who misplaced his hearing aid, The next sound you will hear is some a hole playing the HAL ship’s toots! 😀

Edited by RedneckBob
  • Like 4
  • Haha 11

57 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Good morning everyone.  We are in Salvador de Bahia and will walk around.  The HA shore excursions all had notes at the bottom that almost each site listed as closed due to Mardis Gras.  Therefore we will walk around in the heat. It is a long trek to the port building since a large MSC ship is in port near the port building.   Today it was said on our port talk that the celebration for Mardis Gras in this city is 4 million people strong and the largest in the world.  

Thanks for the Daily Reports Sandi.  Especially enjoying the St. John's photos we have never been there and will be stopping by next year on the Eurodam.  Prayers for all on our Care list and the people of Ukraine, Turkey and Syria.  Have a nice Fat Tuesday. Nancy

Dinner last night in  Canaletto and some Samba show excursion in Rio shared by our 74 day Facebook page  contributor Mark Lewis who said we could share.  I must have mis- spoken.  Rio is the trashiest city and that is where the meeting of the water photo yesterday was taken. 

IMG_20230220_184302669.jpg

IMG_20230220_182747074.jpg

IMG_20230220_182739871.jpg

FB_IMG_1676925047732.jpg

FB_IMG_1676925025707.jpg

FB_IMG_1676925005144.jpg

FB_IMG_1676924967768.jpg

FB_IMG_1676924948975.jpg

FB_IMG_1676924935618.jpg

FB_IMG_1676924907331.jpg

Thank you for your photos today.  Now I can understand your feelings about a trashy city.  Though I enjoyed seeing Christ the Redeemer statue, Copacabana beach and Sugarloaf mountain, I definitely don't enjoy the experience of being in Rio.  Scary!  Sorry to anyone who enjoys Rio but that is my opinion.  When the Volendam goes to Parintins do you have plans to see the Boi Bumba show?  It's worthwhile.

57 minutes ago, summer slope said:

The last picture shows Caneel Bay after the hurricane. 

What a shame!  Thanks for posting about your time there.

28 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Eurodam is in dry dock.

Thank you.  I searched Eurodam on cruisemapper.com and it showed her positioned in the Bahamas with a last update of Feb. 19.  But she doesn't show on the map of the Caribbean for some reason with the rest of the Caribbean ships.  

13 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Prayers for all in need.

Bruce

Funny memes!🤣

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Happy Paczki day!  They are a big deal around here.  Lots of Polish immigrants here back in the day, and the tradition has carried on many years later.  One of our local tv stations has 2 "roving" reporters at bakeries this morning!  Our Milwaukee Dancing Grannies, who lost 4 members in the Waukesha Christmas parade tragedy were in NOLA the last several days for Mardi Gras and parades.  From postings on their social media pages, they had a great time.  They were in 1 parade and attended others!  I drove by a bakery yesterday, but drove by, because I need to loose a few lbs after being on the Eurodam for 10 days.  I don't know how people survive longer cruises...even though we tried to eat healthy, there were so many temptations!  Never went hungry!! 

Haven't been to St. John, but the partial transit through the Panama Canal last week was a great day!  We have some bad weather in the forecast for the next few days, snow, ice and sleet.  Thanks for everyone who contributes here, prayers for all who need them and Yay for the celebrations!  

• Like 31

Good morning on this Shrove Tuesday/Fat Tuesday.

No pancakes for me today, as I used to do on Shrove Tuesday. I only once had my cards read. If it means greeting cards, I have saved Birthday and Christmas cards from BFF for years. I'll salute my Mother language of English! Funny quote. I make flank steak fairly often, marinating, then cooking on my indoor grill. Pass on the drink and yes to the wine.

I haven't been to St. John Island, USVI, only to St. Thomas, on my first ever cruise in 2004.

It's rainy and windy here, although not cold. I'm having my coffee now, as I can't have any caffeine or even decaf coffee or tea after 10:30AM, due to my stress test tomorrow. Today I need to go through some of the way too many clothes I have and organize by size (lol) and decide what to donate.

@StLouisCruisers Thank you for today's FR/Daily and the St. John photos. That's not much sleep you're getting. 

@rafinmd I hope you are starting to feel stronger, and that your sleep will be better tonight.

@dfish Thanks for the recipes and Dad's marinade. Good luck with the tests.

@kazu What a pain with the paperwork! I hope the weather tomorrow doesn't interfere with your going to PT.

@ottahand7 Thank you for sharing photos from your cruise.

@grapau27 I hope you will find Sarah doing well when you see her on Thursday.

@ger_77 Ah, a nice new fast computer! My last one couldn't update to Windows 11, so I got a new one last year.

@GTVCRUISER Nice photos!

@Cruzin Terri I was sorry to read the MBR wasn't going to be finished when you got home. I'm sure you were tired and good that you slept well last night.

@erewhon I'm glad you are safe, but so sad about all that's going on in New Zealand.

Prayers for the Care List and a toast to the Celebration List.

Stay well everyone.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

55 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thank you.  I searched Eurodam on cruisemapper.com and it showed her positioned in the Bahamas with a last update of Feb. 19.  But she doesn't show on the map of the Caribbean for some reason with the rest of the Caribbean ships.  

I think AIS is usually turned off at some stage during a drydock.

Roy

• Like 16
  • Thanks 5

Good morning from a mostly sunny central Texas.  It will be another warm day today, but rain is on the way for tonight and into tomorrow morning early.  We'll still be in the 80sF (87 today) and 70sF until Friday when cooler temperatures and more rain come through.  The winds will also be between 10 and 20 mph for several days.

Pancakes may or may not be on the menu tonight for Mardi Gras.  I've never had my cards read, but do have a few special greeting cards saved.  English is my mother language, and except for pig Latin, I have only picked up a very little Spanish.  I think my second year Spanish teacher passed me just so he would not have to teach me another year. 🤣

John Cleese's quote is very true.

Flank steak recipes will be filed for another day.  We'll pass on the drink, but the wine sounds nice.

Once when we were in St. Thomas in the pre-digital age, we took the ferry to St. John.  We rented a car and drove around most of the island, seeing many of the abandoned sugar mills.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I hope you sleep better tonight and in the future.  Thank you for your pictures.

@summer slope  Thank you for your pictures of St. John.

@rafinmd  Roy, I hope your podiatrist appointment goes well, and that you sleep better tonight.

@Mr. Boston  Safe travels to San Juan tomorrow.

@dfish  Debbie, I hope all your tests come out normal.  Thank you for your Dad's marinade recipe.

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope the insurance paper work is finally ready to send off.  I also hope you get to your therapy session and back home before the bad weather arrives tomorrow.

@ottahand7  Nancy, thank you for the clarification of the trashiest town.  I agree about Rio, especially the area around the port.   Thanks for sharing your friends pictures of Carnival.

@ger_77  Gerry, I hope you can get into see the dentist soon.  The new computer will surprise you with the speed.

@aliaschief  Bruce, thanks for the laughs today.

@marshhawk  Annie, I guess the cards were correct in you case.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, good luck on tomorrow's stress test.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I'm happy you got a good night's sleep.

Lenda

• Like 23
  • Thanks 5

Back from Podiatrists and groceries from the store in that direction.  Not the greatest as the feet have been swollen since my hospitalization but we were both pleased that the swelling is receding and he did not see evidence of infection.

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

Good morning Dailyites from Koningsdam Central...

Sandi I understand your frustration with lack of sleep. I do take a sleep aid and my magic hour is 3 am. I believe it is in my head now as wake up time. 

Roy I have you at the top of my prayer list. I pray you get stronger each day and sleep deeply at night. Hope all goes well at your appointment. 

Thinking of Sarah, Jacqui, Gerry today.

I have yet to meet "Redbird" onboard but I've seen several groups of Cruise Critic meets. 

Yesterday it seemed like a zoo in the Lido pool and Lido restaurant. Coming down in the elevator a lady was waiting with a scooter. I told her we had plenty of room, when a woman said "let me off the elevator. They should have an elevator for the wheelchair people". 

Dinner in Pinnacle was nice. We both had halibut.

We are invited to wine tasting at 1:45.

There's a bazaar on midshop.

Tie  and wear your Hawaiian sarong, Orange party, and movie at poolside tonight: Amelia, along with various Trivias throughout the day.

Ok, Allen is up and says good morning:)

Wishing all a wonderful,  blessed day.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Back from Podiatrists and groceries from the store in that direction.  Not the greatest as the feet have been swollen since my hospitalization but we were both pleased that the swelling is receding and he did not see evidence of infection.

Roy

That sounds like a very good report from the doctor.  Hopefully all the swelling in your feet goes down eventually.  The no evidence of infection is especially important.

4 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites from Koningsdam Central...

Sandi I understand your frustration with lack of sleep. I do take a sleep aid and my magic hour is 3 am. I believe it is in my head now as wake up time. 

Roy I have you at the top of my prayer list. I pray you get stronger each day and sleep deeply at night. Hope all goes well at your appointment. 

Thinking of Sarah, Jacqui, Gerry today.

I have yet to meet "Redbird" onboard but I've seen several groups of Cruise Critic meets. 

Yesterday it seemed like a zoo in the Lido pool and Lido restaurant. Coming down in the elevator a lady was waiting with a scooter. I told her we had plenty of room, when a woman said "let me off the elevator. They should have an elevator for the wheelchair people". 

Dinner in Pinnacle was nice. We both had halibut.

We are invited to wine tasting at 1:45.

There's a bazaar on midshop.

Tie  and wear your Hawaiian sarong, Orange party, and movie at poolside tonight: Amelia, along with various Trivias throughout the day.

Ok, Allen is up and says good morning:)

Wishing all a wonderful,  blessed day.

Hi back to Allen!  Hope you both have a great Tuesday.  Sorry to hear about the impatient lady on the elevator.  Maybe she should take the stairs?  😉

• Like 22

Good morning from sunny Durango. High is supposed to be in the mid-40's today and then...... a winter storm with snow and high winds beginning later tonight. Since a number of our Humane Society Board members live out of town, I have postponed tomorrow nights meeting until next week. Thought I would do it early so they don't have to worry about the weather. The neighbor who usually clears my car and drive is out of town so I will have to deal with any of the white stuff myself.

Have been to St. John and loved it. Would like very much to go back. And I think I had better skip the pancakes as much as I enjoy them. We will see. Today is going to be laundry day and continuing to intense clear out. Did not get far yesterday... the contents of one box took me nearly all day.

Susan

• Like 25

Hello to all on the daily. Eurodam is in dry dock. I know this because our cruise that we had booked for this week on the Eurodam was canceled and well you know what happened to the one before.  

Weather in South Florida has been beautiful and it looks like we will have another beautiful week.  No complaints here about the weather.  

Glad to hear Roy that you are feeling better.  

Sandy sorry to hear you aren't sleeping well. I don't know how you function on so little sleep.  

We have been to Rio and agree with those here, I was surprised at how dirty it was and the petty crime is horrible. We stayed with friends of ours (my Brazilian sister - she lived with my family as an exchange student - I lived in Santiago, Chile the summer I turned 16).  They now live in a community that is gated with guards.  We were told to take off all of our jewelry except if we were with them, when we were in Rio,  since the thieves prey on tourists.  

We have been to St John's on a land trip and stayed in a wonderful condo there.  My only issue with most of the Caribbean now is the sand fleas.  Many beaches are infested with them, and if bugs like you, they will bite you all over and are very itchy and you develop welts all over your body. Though St John's was beautiful I will not ever go back to the beach there, having learned the hard way about the fleas.  

Terri - sorry about your bathroom not being done. I am sure you are beyond tired of living with construction.  

Prayers to all of those in New Zealand, Turkey/Syria and Ukraine.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

@StLouisCruisers Sandi we do have the Boo Bumba show scheduled.   A year or so ago shared a port video of the show and it looked fantastic.  

Crime in Brazil is bad.  Someone from their iPhone snatched from their hand while taking

a photo today near the Mercado.  We walked over to the Mercado bought a couple t shirts and took an alternate route back. This is just a beginning of the heat we will have further north. 

Cooling off with a nap.  💤

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, tupper10 said:

Hello to all on the daily. Eurodam is in dry dock. I know this because our cruise that we had booked for this week on the Eurodam was canceled and well you know what happened to the one before.  

Weather in South Florida has been beautiful and it looks like we will have another beautiful week.  No complaints here about the weather.  

Glad to hear Roy that you are feeling better.  

Sandy sorry to hear you aren't sleeping well. I don't know how you function on so little sleep.  

We have been to Rio and agree with those here, I was surprised at how dirty it was and the petty crime is horrible. We stayed with friends of ours (my Brazilian sister - she lived with my family as an exchange student - I lived in Santiago, Chile the summer I turned 16).  They now live in a community that is gated with guards.  We were told to take off all of our jewelry except if we were with them, when we were in Rio,  since the thieves prey on tourists.  

We have been to St John's on a land trip and stayed in a wonderful condo there.  My only issue with most of the Caribbean now is the sand fleas.  Many beaches are infested with them, and if bugs like you, they will bite you all over and are very itchy and you develop welts all over your body. Though St John's was beautiful I will not ever go back to the beach there, having learned the hard way about the fleas.  

Terri - sorry about your bathroom not being done. I am sure you are beyond tired of living with construction.  

Prayers to all of those in New Zealand, Turkey/Syria and Ukraine.

I guess I am used to little sleep.  If I by chance I sleep 5 hours I am amazed and surprised.  That's why DH's long sleep times can be a little annoying but I wouldn't wish this on him.  I say good for him!😴

We certainly didn't wear jewelry either our first time there.  We were warned in advance.  Before getting on the ship we walked from our hotel to a nearby beach just to look at it.  There were four of us and still we were nervous when we saw locals walking towards us on the sidewalk.  The next day we heard a story about a passenger who was attacked and robbed taking photos at the beach at sunrise.  Everything on him including his cameras.  He was by himself.  🤕

Sorry about the sand fleas attacking you.  I haven't had that happen to me before but we don't often do beach days.  One time in Sanibel my DD was bitten like crazy by the no-see-ums.  No one else was so I guess they go for certain people.🤷‍♀️

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Today is finish packing day, and arrange food for our road trip. Shrove Tuesday (aka Mardi Gras but I didn’t know that until later in life…) was never a big celebration other than a good day for pancakes. 

I enjoyed HALs ferry to St John more than the ride around the island.  Pretty place but the tour wasn’t stellar. 

@erewhon glad to see the number of missing coming down for your country! May it continue to improve.  Appreciate your good wishes for us!  

Looking like good weather at all our family’s airports Friday, but if there are planes available is another issue due to expected mid-country storms brewing. Just have to continue hoping for the best, airports and our 3days trekking down I-95!  

Blessings to all in need of healing, comfort or hope, near and far!  Cheers to all celebrating milestones and accomplishments. Life is good!  

I posted by memories of Gene Young elsewhere. He did a beautiful service for Remembrance Day / Veterans Day / Armistice Day on our Tales of the South Pacific cruise. Condolences to his loved ones. 

I won’t have internet onboard though some family should with their HIA, but most likely I will be offline for a couple of weeks. Grateful for each of you and this uplifting place we can share. 

For sailaway we’ll be out on 2 balconies, Rotterdam’s port side forward, deck 5. I’ll wave a bandana to show my appreciation for all of you!  (When I can I’ll check for screenshots to share with the family !). Hopefully there’ll be 8 of us on 2 connected balconies if we can get the partition opened before departure!  (The other two rooms are OVs, one is a single.). 

Everybody keep healing, stay well and safe!  ❤️
Maureen

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

posted on yesterday’s by mistake so you will see this twice

Good morning,

How horrible the loss of life is with our recent natural disasters! Prayers to all. Hopefully help will make things a bit easier. 

Roy I know how worrisome it is not to have a good nights sleep. My DH always struggled when he felt he wasn’t sleeping well. Me,I haven’t sleep well since medical school then the nasty “women of your age” hit me. I am sure I have lost years off my life due to insufficient sleep. Sometimes it takes a mild sleep aid for a short time to break the pattern. Please ask your doctor what they think. 

I broke down and hired someone to come clean for me. I am stressing my right hand that has the same problem. I am hoping to put off or hopefully not need surgery in the future. I had someone for years but since retirement I have been doing it on my own. 

Fat Tuesday came fast. I will need to take advantage of some treats today. 

Have a great day everyone. 

• Like 28