LIVE Summit Aqua Class Review 3/2 - 3/6

Lena11033

19 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

Alcohol helps with me talking to people

OK....I got it 😉 I can't recall ever going to a bar on a ship, other than to maybe take along a free drink through vouchers, etc. DW and I have pretty much decided we're done with those "Captain's Club" events. TOO many people for one thing. You wait in line to get in and then ultimately a whole bunch of already have-crocked people come storming out the elevator and butt in line anyway. Burns me up. One time some poor older guy was there waiting in line with his wife. Poor man must have had significant alzheimer's cause he kept asking, "why are we here"? I can relate since my Dad died from complications associated with dementia. Then, one of the last times they said there'd be ample food - they never came around with a single thing. I'd rather spend the time walking the decks. It's nice and all to see the captain and crew introduction but after you've done it a good number of times it starts to get old. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

I keep saying I’ll tone it down

Well, it IS Lent....so a good time to work on that 😁 I don't sense as much reticence and introversion as you accuse yourself of. So...another day on the ship..or heading home? 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Thanks 1

I’m heading home :classic_sad:

I’ve been in the airport last couple of hours and have been writing up yesterday 

little worried they just announced they over sold the flight. I know when I checked in it asked if I would be willing to give up my seat for a voucher and said no. People pick dates for a reason. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

over sold the flight. I know when I checked in it asked if I would be willing to give up my seat for a voucher and said no.

Oh gosh I HATE that stuff. Once we were doing overnight to Paris, and they came around with that nonsense of offering vouchers due to overbooking. Would you believe it got up to over $1,000? Started at like $100 for someone to give up their seat.  NObody wanted to jump at it cause of next day connections and such. It's not like a short puddle jump from one state to another after all! I guess they got some takers cause eventually off we went. But, as expected, we missed our connection next morning. It got testy. At some point some airline official came over and said, "I REALLY need someone to get off this flight!"  I know they overbook banking on a certain % of pax to cancel, but it doesn't always work out in their favor. Wonder if the cruise lines do that too? "Sorry, Lester...but the ship is full up so y'all will have to be towed by this rubber dinghy. We'll help you git in her and also here's a bottle of water and a sandwich to tide you over for the time being...." 

Edited by OnTheJourney

43 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

"Sorry, Lester...but the ship is full up so y'all will have to be towed by this rubber dinghy. We'll help you git in her and also here's a bottle of water and a sandwich to tide you over for the time being...." 

🤣

I made it on the plane unfortunately a couple next to me did not. They were bumped and it sounded like the next flights were sold out so means they are in Miami another day. Not sure what happens if tomorrow is also sold out 

Last day on the ship started off with a bang. Again tried room service because I had an excursion and wanted to see if it would be different than the day before when I was sure the order was wrong.
Nope issues again. So again no idea if the milk was lactose free, also the toast I ordered the same as the day before and only got half the amount. Also no knife to put butter on the bread. So yeah I’d probably not do room service for a while based on my experience.
Next thing was as I was getting ready to head out for the excursion the toilet decided to well no longer flush. So had to make time to go to guest services on the way out so they could fix it. Apparently that morning a bunch of rooms on deck 11 had issues (was fixed by the time I got back that afternoon)

Finally off the ship and head to the meeting point at 8:45 as they had changed it and new tickets came the night before with the update. 9am leaving time comes and goes and all the other groups leave. We ended up leaving after 10 because the boat wasn’t there - we were waiting outside for about an hour and a half in the heat. Shore excursions left a voicemail later that it was mechanical issues for the delay and they were refunding 50% of what we paid.

The tour was a three hour tour first hour was a cruise around the harbour. Our guide was Chris and he was hilarious. Although both myself and the lady next to me felt a little awkward as one of the guests kept flirting with him in front of her husband. But probably alcohol induced with the amount some people were consuming. The next portion was a bus tour that stopped off at a tourist spot for a break and shop (I day shop but it’s packed with cars and people trying to get you to purchase things. Then we headed to a rum cake store for samples and if you purchased a cake free shot of rum (or paint stripper as it was so strong as someone that drinks whiskey I’m used to the sensation of heat drinking). Last stop was a short stop at Atlantis. Some people opted for a cab back to spend more time there one couple who said they would be back, the driver waited 3 mins and left without them. It was too busy to wait around. One family missed the other bus by a couple of mins so as we had room they came back with us.

Due to the late start by the time we were dropped in the town I was hot and hungry so just headed back to the boat. I wanted to stop for conch fritters but it had been 7 hours since I ate and a Bahamas mama and a shot of rum my stomach needed food. Well even without the alcohol I get grumpy so it’s a must. Once back on the ship I dropped off the few things I had picked up and rushed to the buffet before it closed (about 2pm by this point).

After lunch and another drink I headed back to clean up and put black panther on while I started packing my suitcase
Dinner again was in blu. I had a crab cake and a lamb shank (it was huge I couldn’t finish it). Few glasses of wine as the sommelier never let it get low (he was excellent far better than my experience last year). Then threw caution to the wind and had the crème brûlée for dessert. 

C79A03D6-FEF8-4B2E-8940-A6D420DC76F2.jpeg

697890BD-89A7-45BA-A5B4-33FFBD0C7928.jpeg

315F341F-500D-4011-81A3-0D280144562C.jpeg

E835D535-2621-4221-91F6-F8CB8B13247C.jpeg

5DA8E88C-D815-4F88-A957-E8DADF0A0572.jpeg

70F95935-4ED3-407C-A350-A9833B385F52.jpeg

B8C3FE3A-8DDD-482F-8703-65FF556F144D.jpeg

Edited by Lena11033
  • Like 2

Previously I was asked how it was with the charter. I refrained from really giving my thoughts while on the ship.

Now I'm home here is my thought, I don't think they should do partial charters. A lot of the people were drunk, loud and in your face - it was feeling like a Carnival cruise.
A lot of us couldn't even hold a conversation because they would come in and be so loud you couldn't hear who you were talking to.
I know there was a disco cruise the one before if you know and sign up for a charter it's one thing but not knowing the company has sold a portion to this and you are stuck it's not a good experience. There were quite a few people that weren't comfortable whenever the charter was around and we'd take off.

I don't think it was handled well because you had no idea where you could and couldn't go. It felt more about the charter because they took over whenever they were there so people felt uncomfortable conversations were like 'are you here for the charter' if no then it was 'but you like them right' most people on the cruise were not there for the charter so it kind of bad you seem like you were an inconvenience. Damn I love Star wars, Harry potter and LOTR but can actually hold a conversation about other things. It was like an us and them, the regular cruisers who were relaxing and drank within reason and the people I encountered who were literally drinking all day. Now there were some who were not like that but you know how it is the loudest ones are the one you see. Other than the one lovely couple who actually talked to me about something other than NFL even though they were part of the charter - even they rolled their eyes at peoples behaviour.

In my survey back to celebrity I told them if this was my first cruise I probably would have reconsidered sailing with them again because it felt like a carnival cruise with finding people passed out drunk in the bathroom. I didn't even mention I had people so drunk they screamed in my face. Needless to say if I book a short cruise again and find out it's an NFL charter I will be cancelling (also added this on the survey).

Quite honestly, I don't want to red for a while

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome home! Thank you very much for sharing your cruise experience! What an adventure you had getting to Florida!

We're counting the days (16 to be exact!) until we leave for San Juan and board the Millennium. Hopefully Air Canada will get us there in a timely fashion. I likely won't report live but will be sure to share an overview when we return. We sailed aboard the Summit pre-revolution in 2015 and loved her then and can only imagine how beautiful she is now.

Sorry if you addressed this but I'm curious if your AQ stateroom near the stairs was noisy after all. We will be in a similar place on our upcoming cruise and have been wondering about the location. Given that the Summit is a mirror image of Millie, I figured traffic/sound issues of those rooms would be the same on both ships. At the very least, it sure does look convenient for grabbing snacks and bevies! 

Enjoy your reunion with your hubby and fur babies! 🙂

Hi Lena!

I wanted to agree with you about the room service. One day it came on time and was the right order and the next day, they gave me no silverware and forgot my pastries.

So, definitely inconsistent.

We also had a problem with our toilet not flushing one morning (deck 7), but after about 30 minutes, it started working again.

In no way am I condoning bad behavior on any cruise by anyone, but the shorter Bahamas cruises are definitely more of a loud party atmosphere.

I see from your signature that your only other cruise was a European cruise and those are the complete opposite of a 4 night cruise to Key West and Nassau.

I was a part of the Buc’s group(400 of us) and I was only out by the pool once the whole cruise. It was during the Bucs vs crew pool volleyball and I could see how annoying it would be to listen to the Tampa Bay chant, so I get your point.

Sorry there were loud obnoxious fans, but I promise it wasn’t me or my husband.🤪

We were two of the nice older fans.😉😁

9 minutes ago, Buccaneergirl said:

Hi Lena!

I wanted to agree with you about the room service. One day it came on time and was the right order and the next day, they gave me no silverware and forgot my pastries.

So, definitely inconsistent.

We also had a problem with our toilet not flushing one morning (deck 7), but after about 30 minutes, it started working again.

In no way am I condoning bad behavior on any cruise by anyone, but the shorter Bahamas cruises are definitely more of a loud party atmosphere.

I see from your signature that your only other cruise was a European cruise and those are the complete opposite of a 4 night cruise to Key West and Nassau.

I was a part of the Buc’s group(400 of us) and I was only out by the pool once the whole cruise. It was during the Bucs vs crew pool volleyball and I could see how annoying it would be to listen to the Tampa Bay chant, so I get your point.

Sorry there were loud obnoxious fans, but I promise it wasn’t me or my husband.🤪

We were two of the nice older fans.😉😁

I know it wasn't everyone as I said I met some nice people who were part of the charter, was just hard talking to other people when there are some people who clearly can't handle their alcohol and are in your face. 😉

The couple from the charter I was talking to were older so maybe a certain demographic.

As someone that's English/Irish/Scot I can drink - European measuring of drinks is different - the mixer is more for colouring 🙃

I knew the Caribbean cruises are more party and I was fine with that, I just don't think they should mix charters with non charters. As you said it was Bucs vs crew volleyball so where does that leave everyone else? (it also wasn't listed as that but that's what it was). It was catered more for the charter than it was for everyone overall.

I think they should just be up front with that so people can make decisions based on that. Me, I would be fine for a charter if it was say a Disco cruise  (apparently I should not have been born in the 80's) because that would be something I'd be interested in. If you opt in for it vs no choice I think it makes a difference.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

'are you here for the charter' if no then it was 'but you like them right'

referring to...the tampa bay bucs?  LOL  Should have told them that actually you're so glad that Brady finally retired and see what reaction that would have gotten! 

I don't think they should do partial charters.

From all you say, have to agree. Quick story...my sister-in-law had a cruise booked on X that somehow wound up turning into a full charter and so they got booted right off. Got either their money back and/or a choice of alternative cruises - neither of which interested them, but it so turned them off that they never sailed wth X again after that. 

In my survey back to celebrity I told them if this was my first cruise I probably would have reconsidered sailing with them again because it felt like a carnival cruise with finding people passed out drunk in the bathroom.

Yikes...sounds like I would have felt the same way you did about much of what went on! Not my cup of tea at all. Sometime consider trying Viking. If you like more quiet and laid back environment (still plenty of opportunity to enjoy alcoholic beverages though!), very interesting and well-traveled folks to talk to, although surely a considerably older demographic (like 20+ years beyond your age), really good food, and also I love how they offer pre and post extensions (and so makes it more like a combination cruise and land tour), I think you'd enjoy it. 930 passengers only (for the ocean ships). Glad you're home safe and good that you gave them some honest feedback about how the charter impacted the cruise for those who were not part of it. 

6 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

Me, I would be fine for a charter if it was say a Disco cruise 

Well, then again, maybe Viking would NOT be your favorite cruise. There are no 'high energy' type activities although certain things are  moving more mainstream. Never expected to hear "Sweet Caroline"  (a ubiquitous cruise favorite the way it seems...can't stand that song anymore) on a Viking ship, and people enjoying the "so good, so good, so good" part, waving their hands and singing along. Felt more like X or RCCL. Plus the entertainment is going more mainstream. They're probably trying to attract a younger demographic. I also love the 'noone under 18 allowed on the cruises' part. Works for me to not have kids running around. 

9 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

I just don't think they should mix charters with non charters.

Definitely. Should be a cruise just for them...BUT...they want to fill the ships, especially since covid and all the lost revenue. 

14 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

I don't think they should do partial charters

TOTALLY AGREE!!!

35 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

turning into a full charter and so they got booted right off.

I really think that cruise lines know who they work with on charters and they should go to a system where a certain point BEFORE to the general public, they should let their charter companies know the schedule and then by no later than a week before public release the charters have to make their decisions as to which sailing(s) they want to charter and once they are released to the public there's no suddenly wanting to charter. IMHO it is ridiculous that people can be booked on a cruise for MONTHS and then be contacted by the line with a "Sorry, your sailing has been chartered." Ridiculous!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

That's exactly what happened though. They couldn't believe it. 

No ideal solution really, people not happy being bumped or being included without notification. I get they need to make up lost revenue but I think communication up front may have been better.

Maybe if I had some interest in NFL may be different but I'm British NFL is not a thing for me.

22 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

That's exactly what happened though. They couldn't believe it. 

No, I know it happens. I'm saying it's ridiculous that it does! They should go to letting their charter companies know the schedule a little ahead of public release and say that they have to have their charters locked in one or two weeks before public release of the sailings. If they don't meet that, too bad, no charter for you.

1 minute ago, Lena11033 said:

No ideal solution really, people not happy being bumped or being included without notification. I get they need to make up lost revenue but I think communication up front may have been better.

Maybe if I had some interest in NFL may be different but I'm British NFL is not a thing for me.

I fully agree that there shouldn't be partial charters. A group of less than 100 that's running races in ports is nothing. A good portion of the ship by a group is a LOT.

I don't think it's unreasonable to do as I said above. And the charter company agrees to meet a certain percentage of the ship filled by a set date or their charter is a no-go - then those on the charter are the ones out and others can take advantage of savings to fill the now NOT chartered ship.

If I'm ever on a sailing that goes to a charter well after I've booked it, I'm not settling for a replacement or a future cruise credit. It will be a 100% refund AND I'll never sail that line again. Bumping people who have already booked in favor of a charter is telling individual cruisers that we don't matter.

4 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

Would a "Footballers" charter be of interest?  I wouldn't like anything sports related, although my wife would enjoy a Packer's charter. Bring on the disco!!

Very sorry to hear about your charter issue. 

We had a similar experience on another cruise line. It was a poker cruise..... So 80% of the guests on the cruise was professional poker players....

This was a 7day sailing.

The good thing is that the poker players dont party hard or drink off their socks. 

Due to this tournament, lots of the venues/lounges onboard was closed off to non participants. Since they had set up several poker tables for playing the tournament. So therefor lots of daytime activity's was reduced. 

It did really affect the vibe of the cruise and we were not notified before our sailing. So we were a bit surprised. 

But we survived and did the best of it🙃

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, calicakes said:

Would a "Footballers" charter be of interest?  I wouldn't like anything sports related, although my wife would enjoy a Packer's charter. Bring on the disco!!

No, I don't really watch sports. I like working out and love fitness (I have a whole home gym I've built) but don't really watch sports. Unless my husband bribes me with sushi to watch wrestling 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1