LIVE Summit Aqua Class Review 3/2 - 3/6

Lena11033

I'm so glad you made it to Florida!  And now you have a new skill, independent border crossing, that you can use to make your life easier in the future so good for you!

Your dogs are adorable.  My husband and I are staying at the Hyatt Centric Las Olas in March for our cruise.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise! I'm looking forward to following along.

• Like 1

Glad you made it to Miami! 
I love your fur babies! They are all beautiful!

Dh and I will be sailing on this cruise with you! 

We are on a partial charter with a Tampa Bay Buccaneer’s group cruise.🏴‍☠️

There will be players on board(current and past), cheerleaders, mascot and lots of crazy Bucs fans.

Day 2, we are all dressing up like pirates for dinner, so beware Matey!🤪🤣

If you do go to Duval St in Key West, stop at The Flying Monkey and get a Grainerade.

It’s a frozen drink that tastes just like an orange creamsicle.

We are getting off the ship just to go get the drink.

Have fun and I’ll be following along on board!

21 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Jeannette - Enjoy reading your Live post.   I was catching up and you had my adrenaline running as I read of you new adventures of driving to Detroit. 

Was so happy to see your posts of arrival into Florida and the pictures of your hotel room.

Thanks. Yeah my heart rate was a little high yesterday. I’ve never done anything wrong just customs always stresses me out. I’ve had them question my Canadian passport because my birthplace was the UK. Or why I am travelling without my husband 🙃

21 hours ago, TeaBag said:

Glad you made it safely to Florida, Jeanette.  May everything be awesome from here on.  I HATE Air Canada and we always fly with other airlines, even WestJet.

Key West is lovely.  if you wear sandals, see if you can get to the Kino store.  I bought some there years ago and they are still great.

Have a great cruise.

Oops, forgot to say I love your dogs.  Is it the one with the cone that has the pancreatitis?

Ours is on my avatar and she is spoiled rotten.  A neighbour of ours takes her when we are away and we are very fortunate as they spoil her too.  She is 9.

I’m on a group elsewhere about travel in Canada and claims. It’s like all of them are pulling the same stuff. I read an article recently one airline put people on a bus. One person when WJ cancelled and refused to book air canada the person rented a car and drove. I think now for my cruises I’m just going to Detroit because I can do direct. If I do windsor I have to go through Pearson and they’ve gone from four flights a day to two (if not cancelled)

No our ‘largest’ dog had epilepsy. The one with the cone she seems to get OCD and keeps licking her paw then she starts ripping the fur out. We put the cone on her when she does that so the fur can grow back. Funny thing is she likes the cone as she can use it to push the boys out of the way for food 🤣

2 hours ago, Buccaneergirl said:

Glad you made it to Miami! 
I love your fur babies! They are all beautiful!

Dh and I will be sailing on this cruise with you! 

We are on a partial charter with a Tampa Bay Buccaneer’s group cruise.🏴‍☠️

There will be players on board(current and past), cheerleaders, mascot and lots of crazy Bucs fans.

Day 2, we are all dressing up like pirates for dinner, so beware Matey!🤪🤣

If you do go to Duval St in Key West, stop at The Flying Monkey and get a Grainerade.

It’s a frozen drink that tastes just like an orange creamsicle.

We are getting off the ship just to go get the drink.

Have fun and I’ll be following along on board!

Sounds like fun. Unfortunately as I’m from the UK originally I know nothing on American football so most likely to spot you before a player  😆

thanks for the heads up on KW. I haven’t decided what I’m doing yet I’ve had a rough few weeks so going to decide on the day. But I do have a December cruise next year that also goes to Key West

• Like 1

Catch up for today. I think yesterday took it out of me, I slept 9 hours last night. Have taken it easy today with chilling out, spent some time at South Beach walking around and having lunch. 

Have dinner at La Mar tonight then packing up what I can for tomorrow. I have an 11:30am check in. I also need to find a pharmacy first thing, I didn’t bring eye drops forgot about pollen as that’s not a thing right now where I live and my eyes are red. I did bring allergy pills just not the drops (I’m normally sniffly first thing in the morning so have them so no one thinks I’m sick 🤪 )

2F07B51F-0076-4656-9C69-F471A0A7DD5A.jpeg

DE99160B-38CD-44AE-BF09-69B0AF395D1B.jpeg

2462DA63-D9A4-4D10-90B6-B5773F87E988.jpeg

E884FA96-0585-4104-B893-5CBB7FE651DA.jpeg

105D801A-A0E8-4102-879E-141790E42733.jpeg

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

Thanks. Yeah my heart rate was a little high yesterday. I’ve never done anything wrong just customs always stresses me out. I’ve had them question my Canadian passport because my birthplace was the UK. Or why I am travelling without my husband 🙃

I can imagine. I always travel solo and honestly never gave a second thought to going through customs. But I've been watching "To Catch A Smuggler" on Disney+ (it's a National Geographic show) and they'll state "single females generally raise our attention" - I guess either I look too clean or I'm not traveling from the places they're suspecting since I've never been pulled for extra scrutiny. I'm afraid I'm going to be more nervous after this though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I can imagine. I always travel solo and honestly never gave a second thought to going through customs. But I've been watching "To Catch A Smuggler" on Disney+ (it's a National Geographic show) and they'll state "single females generally raise our attention" - I guess either I look too clean or I'm not traveling from the places they're suspecting since I've never been pulled for extra scrutiny. I'm afraid I'm going to be more nervous after this though.

Huh I need to watch that.

Might explain when they asked the last time I was in the US they were like ‘are you sure’ and then ‘are you travelling alone’ ‘are you meeting anyone’ ‘why are you going on a cruise alone’

like my husband needs to be dragged out the house he’s that much of a homebody. Oh and he let his passport expire so I really don’t have anyone to go with. 
The time I went to NYC I wore my husband’s fleece because it was December and cold. He works for a brokerage company so deals with cross border transit. At Toronto airport they asked about the fleece I said it was my husband’s so they responded with ‘he lets you travel without him’. I know they do try and provoke a response sometimes but it’s not the 40s. My father in law does that too, went to the movies with a friend and my husband was on the phone to his dad and my FIL told him he shouldn’t allow me out that late without him (it was 10pm). I really have to bite my tongue sometimes which is hard I take after my Scottish side 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lena11033 said:

FYI, if you plan on driving into MI or NY a lot, I'd recommend the NEXUS pass.  I had that and it was a breeze. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

I can understand the concern.   Last time we arrived in the U.K. the agent asked if I were traveling with anyone and I responded yes... my husband.   He then said where is he?    I simply replied he went through the UK lane and left me to wait in this long ALL OTHER.   He chuckled and said welcome to the UK.

Iain travels with both his EU (pre-Brexit) and U.S. Passport and just uses the  EU one in Europe and U.S. one when entering the U.S.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, calicakes said:

FYI, if you plan on driving into MI or NY a lot, I'd recommend the NEXUS pass.  I had that and it was a breeze. 

Thanks. I think I’m going to looks for my citizenship paperwork to apply. Husband doesn’t have Nexus but he’s got something in homeland records for clearance because of his job (he deals with shipping between CA, US and Mexico) so he doesn’t normally get the questions I get 

21 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I can understand the concern.   Last time we arrived in the U.K. the agent asked if I were traveling with anyone and I responded yes... my husband.   He then said where is he?    I simply replied he went through the UK lane and left me to wait in this long ALL OTHER.   He chuckled and said welcome to the UK.

Iain travels with both his EU (pre-Brexit) and U.S. Passport and just uses the  EU one in Europe and U.S. one when entering the U.S.

lol that’s rough. Last time Mike went to the UK with me I offered to go through rest of world line so asked the security if I could do that. They told me to take Mike through UK line. I went first, only question was purpose (family) he gets up and ask him he just pointed to me and said he was with me and they let him through. 

I think when I flew in last year it was biometric passports from certain countries rather than EU. If that’s the case now he’d be in the same line 

17 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

Sounds like fun. Unfortunately as I’m from the UK originally I know nothing on American football so most likely to spot you before a player  😆

thanks for the heads up on KW. I haven’t decided what I’m doing yet I’ve had a rough few weeks so going to decide on the day. But I do have a December cruise next year that also goes to Key West

You would recognize Tom Brady though, right?

As far as I know, he will not be on the cruise. Darn!

Edited by Buccaneergirl

16 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

I think when I flew in last year it was biometric passports from certain countries rather than EU. If that’s the case now he’d be in the same line 

Good.... I won't tell him in advance.   Last time going through Heathrow was a MESS.    They only had 2 agents and about 2,000 on line.   Took us 3 hours to get cleared.   Luckily our driver waited for us at no extra charge sine he lived in Southampton -  we tipped him heavily for sure.

Iain thought he gave up his UK Citizenship when he became a U.S. Citizen.   When I got transferred to Ireland he called the UK Consulate to find out.   The lady very sweetly said -  Once a British Citizen always a British Citizen,  come down to see me and I'll fix you up with a new passport.  LOL

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Buccaneergirl said:

You would recognize Tom Brady though, right?

As far as I know, he will not be on the cruise. Darn!

Funny story -  We were on a cruise and someone said Tom Brady was in Luminae.   I looked all over and didn't see him.   The waiter pointed him out to me and I said to Iain... geeze he didn't age well.  

Later found out they were talking of Tom Brady, Celebrity VP of Hotel Operations.  We had a good laugh.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

22 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Good.... I won't tell him in advance.   Last time going through Heathrow was a MESS.    They only had 2 agents and about 2,000 on line.   Took us 3 hours to get cleared.   Luckily our driver waited for us at no extra charge sine he lived in Southampton -  we tipped him heavily for sure.

Iain thought he gave up his UK Citizenship when he became a U.S. Citizen.   When I got transferred to Ireland he called the UK Consulate to find out.   The lady very sweetly said -  Once a British Citizen always a British Citizen,  come down to see me and I'll fix you up with a new passport.  LOL

I have both passports but now with the UK not being in the EU I’m not sure if I want to keep it. But I have two years to think on it. I have to renew the Canadian one first, technically they are up at the same time but I have a cruise next Feb and December but the cruise in Dec I won’t have enough time left on it so will need to get it done earlier. 

16 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Funny story -  We were on a cruise and someone said Tom Brady was in Luminae.   I looked all over and didn't see him.   The waiter pointed him out to me and I said to Iain... geeze he didn't age well.  

Later found out they were talking of Tom Brady, Celebrity VP of Hotel Operations.  We had a good laugh.

I wouldn't recognize him because I don't really follow football that much (Tennessee Titans, but even then I wouldn't recognize any of them off the field).

The one time I have met a football player it wasn't really a meeting. I was working in Reservations at Opryland Hotel and was doing a night mail run during Country Music Awards week. I was walking through the garden area and a kid ran in front of me and I tripped, sending my papers flying. As I finished picking them up and stood, I took a step at the same time a very large guy came around the corner and he stepped on my foot. He was very nice and apologetic. My supervisor was walking by for something and made sure I was ok, then we walked back to our office. Once we were behind closed doors, my supervisor said "Nice job keeping it cool and not flipping out." I said "Why?" And he said "You honestly didn't recognize Troy Aikman??" This was when he was dating Lorrie Morgan - and I definitely knew what he looked like, but didn't realize HOW big he was in real life since his front line was HUGE.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2023 at 5:43 PM, HardyVA said:

Did you happen to use the gym while on Summit?  I’m referring to the weight lifting area, treadmills, not the spa nor the classes.  I read somewhere here that they limit the number of people allowed into this area at a time.  I called and the woman I spoke to said that they do, so,e times?    My husband is a real gym rat and the idea of not being able to work out on the cruise is enough to cancel.

The gym is never "full" on Summit

19 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

Huh I need to watch that.

Might explain when they asked the last time I was in the US they were like ‘are you sure’ and then ‘are you travelling alone’ ‘are you meeting anyone’ ‘why are you going on a cruise alone’

like my husband needs to be dragged out the house he’s that much of a homebody. Oh and he let his passport expire so I really don’t have anyone to go with. 
The time I went to NYC I wore my husband’s fleece because it was December and cold. He works for a brokerage company so deals with cross border transit. At Toronto airport they asked about the fleece I said it was my husband’s so they responded with ‘he lets you travel without him’. I know they do try and provoke a response sometimes but it’s not the 40s. My father in law does that too, went to the movies with a friend and my husband was on the phone to his dad and my FIL told him he shouldn’t allow me out that late without him (it was 10pm). I really have to bite my tongue sometimes which is hard I take after my Scottish side 🤣

If anyone asked me any of those questions I would hit the roof!

Thirty years ago I went into PC Richards to buy a very expensive appliance, but no salesman would come help. I finally picked on and started to tell him what i wanted, and he told me it would probably be better if I came back with my husband since it was a very expensive purchase. I had the cash in my pocket!! I have boycotted them ever since.

25 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

If anyone asked me any of those questions I would hit the roof!

Thirty years ago I went into PC Richards to buy a very expensive appliance, but no salesman would come help. I finally picked on and started to tell him what i wanted, and he told me it would probably be better if I came back with my husband since it was a very expensive purchase. I had the cash in my pocket!! I have boycotted them ever since.

Damn

I have a diploma in IT and a BSc in multimedia. When I was doing the diploma one of the classes was to build a computer. The guy next to me thought it would be nice to ‘tell me’ how to build the computer. We finished at the same time (joint first) but we had to then power up the computer. I will say I did have a little joy watching his smoke up because he forgot the fan so as soon as he powered up it fried 😆

• Haha 3

Catch up - last night I had dinner at La Mar which was a 4 min Uber from the hotel. I would say it was expensive but Miami just seems expensive in general 

I had the Causa crab, conchitas la mar and the chocolate cake (way too much cake for one person). Tip was included but I was there for over two hours so I gave them a little more. I’d definitely go back the food was excellent 

3B634AB2-4543-470F-B756-76B7ACAFF251.jpeg

FF78552F-F167-41F2-ACD4-3976284F8E61.jpeg

AD56FF37-C037-4DF0-BFA3-BEAFFF2CFAE0.jpeg

179184E5-578C-4637-A342-A2B610CCE372.jpeg

BF35360C-8011-4BF5-B99F-E01C3D54FFB2.jpeg

• Like 2