Light Sleeper

frenchCow

I have not been on that ship but normally, there are black out drapes so an eye covering isn’t necessary. 

Depending on what’s going on during your cruise, you might hear music or even creaking or people walking on the deck. We usually find that ships are super quiet so when there is noise, it’s noticeable. Do you have a white noise machine? I prefer those. If you have an iPhone there are now built in white noise sounds. 

• Like 1

As mentioned, unless you are extremely light sensitive, the blackout drapes should suffice. If you are in one of the aft suites then you would be directly under the terrace pool,so you may here some noise during the day.  if you are in a side balcony, it shouldn't be as much of a problem. But ear plugs are cheap and don't take up much room in your luggage. A white noise app is also a good idea.

• Like 1

I also take earplugs whenever I travel, I don't usually have to use them but they take little space & if you need them you really need them. Princess used to have a sleep channel that played relaxing sounds to help with sleep but I haven't found it on my last 2 cruises...it was wonderful. 

You might take a clip in case your curtains don't overlap & there is a gap.

• Like 1

I find that the real problems come from those people who seem incapable of closing their cabin doors quietly, preferring let them slam shut,  and those in adjacent cabins to ours, who deem it necessary to open and shut every drawer in their cabin, at least twice, at 7am !

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We travel with a small sound machine whenever we travel. Sometimes noises come from the next cabin no matter what deck you are on. We also use another hint we found ,use the pants hanger with the clips to close where the two curtains meet to block out any light. 

32 minutes ago, capriccio said:

One other hint applicable to all cabins:  if you are sailing rough waters, empty clothes hangers tend to bump up against each other.  Lay them down on the closet floor.

Or cover with a bath towel, we usually do that on the last night when almost all are empty. I love helpful.hints. I always say..."why didn't I think of that" . Keep them coming, especially for light sleepers.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 11:10 PM, frenchCow said:

I am a light sleeper.  We are booked in the aft section of the Baja deck on Princess Sapphire to Alaska.  Should I bring earplugs?  How about eye coverings?

Thanks

Easy to bring along earplugs and a mask. Doubtful you will require them for noise or light outside the cabin. Except for the three full suites at the stern there are cabins above and below you. There are no entertainment venues in that area. 

Good advice about the clothes hangers…I usually just squeeze them together some clothes on them so they don’t bang together.  Have always brought earplugs.

Agree generally the external noise is not an issue except for totally clueless passengers who will stand directly outside the cabin door and talk loudly as if they are the only ones around.   

11 hours ago, nini said:

Assuming you have a true aft Baja cabin, the only thing you may hear is the wake. The drapes are sufficient in darkening the cabin.

By the way, it is the Sapphire Princess and not Princess Sapphire.

Thank you so much for correcting me, by the way.

On 2/27/2023 at 6:07 AM, wowzz said:

I find that the real problems come from those people who seem incapable of closing their cabin doors quietly, preferring let them slam shut,  and those in adjacent cabins to ours, who deem it necessary to open and shut every drawer in their cabin, at least twice, at 7am !

That's funny. They usually book a cabin right next to me.  You must be on the other side. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

That's funny. They usually book a cabin right next to me.  You must be on the other side. 

Interestingly,  the new P&O (UK) ships have done away with drawers altogether. Just open shelves. 

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Interestingly,  the new P&O (UK) ships have done away with drawers altogether. Just open shelves. 

We were on a HAL cruise years ago.  I dubbed the ship the Euroslam because of the balcony doors.  People would step out onto their balconies and let the door slam behind them. Sitting on the balcony we were treated to a cacophony of boom, boom, booms.  

She Who Must Be Obeyed declared it her first and last HAL cruise unless the ship had sliding balcony doors.

On 2/27/2023 at 7:33 AM, capriccio said:

One other hint applicable to all cabins:  if you are sailing rough waters, empty clothes hangers tend to bump up against each other.  Lay them down on the closet floor.

And here's another tip.  If those rough waters cause the ship to heel or list a little and things start sliding around, and you find the hangers you put on the floor sliding across the stateroom, just hang them up in the closet.  There's usually a handy rod going all the way across just for this task!