Teppanyaki and parents of teens watchout!

15 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

If the 15 year old is going to take up a paying seat, then no, they shouldn't be allowed to sit with their parents. A 15 year old is old enough to pay the cover charge, eat the food, and deal with it (more likely I'm talking about the parents, than the kid). Or, let the child go to the buffet. Surely they're old enough to do so. Heck, NYC middle schoolers go to school on their own every day. 

Teppanyaki makes money based on how many seats they turn over. If a non-paying seat is taken, then the money available to NCL is less, therefore decreasing profit margin, and potentially harming the business. This isn't really a concern at any other NCL specialty restaurants.

Very true...couldn't agree more.

One point to add would be: "how many kids"? 

In this case, there was one, but what if it were two, three, four...? How many minor children should be allowed to just "sit with their parents"? A line has to be drawn somewhere.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SeaShark said:

I'm sorry, but you lost me right away. How can your daughter both "share without issue" AND "eat off the kids menu"? Is she sharing what you ordered, or are you eating some of what she got from the kids menu?

And FWIW, it isn't new or hidden, in fact it is plainly posted on NCL's website

NCL.jpg.bc6fff0c2a4cb6c9f5dde6cc69fdb0d8.jpg

But I think because they have been able to break the rules up until now it is all of a sudden a news flash. We have brought grandkids on MANY cruises and always followed the guidelines. I always knew ahead the rules and stuck with them. Never in a million years would I think a 15 year old could eat of a kids menu anywhere. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Why do some of you think that DD went to the buffet?   She clearly stayed at Teppanyaki with DF and DM, as would be expected with any vacationing family.  Do some of you really think that the $70 bill should have been paid?

I sailed in January and saw on the NCL website that children under 12 can eat off the kids menu except at dinners with shows.  My 4 year old wasn't eligible for meals with our rooms (she's the third guest) so I didn't know if she would be charged for Teppanyaki.  We made  a reservation for 4 (she's our 5th - we have two other children, all under 12) at a time the kids club was open.  When we checked into Teppanyaki I asked them if she could join us without incurring a fee, and they added an extra chair for her.  But I didn't expect that to happen because their website says dinner and a show isn't included (and I don't know if Teppanyaki is considered a show) and if they'd said no, I would have taken her to the kids club while the rest of the family ate.  

In our case, she didn't take up an adult's seat because they added a chair to the side of the table where my 7 year old and I were seated, so NCL was able to accommodate us for free without losing a spot to a paying customer.  An older child you'd need to check with the maitre d to see if they would make the accommodation because its probably something that may change depending on who is working that night.  The original post wasn't terribly clearly written, but if they were told when they were seated they wouldn't be charged for the burger they shouldn't have been.  But NCL would have the right to deny that child (and even my 4 year old) the right to sit in Teppanyaki for free if they consider it a dinner with a show.  You can ask - politely - and see if they will accommodate you, but you can't expect it. 

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, wolft927 said:

I understand where you say that a child should be able to sit, but specialty restaurants charge and a seat taken up to someone not spending money loses money for the cruise line. 

I don't disagree with you.  But there should be an age where its forbidden.  For example, what about a 9 year old?   They dont want Tappenyaki but its too young to be left alone.   However, I dont see that the main point here.  The teen ate at the restaurant.  Would there not be some cost?  

Thank you for the heads up.  My nephew is 15 with special needs and would never eat the food at Teppanyaki, his parents intend to bring him to the buffet first to eat because he eats very, very few foods and then have him sit with us during our meal.  I see now that will be a problem. We did not think this would be a problem but I can understand why it would be but everything in life is not so easy and uncomplicated for everyone and a little understanding and kindness goes a long way. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Why do some of you think that DD went to the buffet?   She clearly stayed at Teppanyaki with DF and DM, as would be expected with any vacationing family.  Do some of you really think that the $70 bill should have been paid?

Ugh! I am glad I am not the only one who understood right away that the DD did not go to the buffet!

It is a good warning to other parents that the specialty dining rule for children is now being enforced.

Sounds like a bit of a misunderstanding this particular night, so they should not have been expected to pay $70 for the DD's burger.

Fifteen is definitely too old to expect to order from the kids menu at a specialty restaurant. What was allowed on past cruises does not really matter, and DD is older now. If she can not eat the amount of food served at Teppanyaki, it does not matter. Past cruises in the Haven, do not matter. 

Our fifteen year old grandson is very small for his age. He was angry that we were offered a kids menu when we took him out to eat recently. He felt like it was an insult to be thought of as a kid. Ate a full half pound burger from the adult menu. I still have know idea where he put it!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, disneylover89 said:

Thank you for the heads up.  My nephew is 15 with special needs and would never eat the food at Teppanyaki, his parents intend to bring him to the buffet first to eat because he eats very, very few foods and then have him sit with us during our meal.  I see now that will be a problem. We did not think this would be a problem but I can understand why it would be but everything in life is not so easy and uncomplicated for everyone and a little understanding and kindness goes a long way. 

If you think he would enjoy the show, you should contact the special needs department or the maitre d to confirm if they can add a chair for your nephew.  Hopefully, you can be seated in a way that adding a chair for your nephew doesn't take up another adult's chair (they let us add our kids meal eating 4 year old to our reservation without charging for her.  the tables are rectangles, and we added our 4 year old's chair to the side my 7 year old and I sat at, and she was a little over the other side of the table, but my 12 year old was seated there so we weren't infringing upon anyone else's space and they didn't lose a paying seat.  I think you can politely request this accommodation, and hopefully they will grant it.  They aren't required to do so, but hopefully they will.  If not, make your reservation while the kids club is open if your nephew likes the kids club.

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

If you think he would enjoy the show, you should contact the special needs department or the maitre d to confirm if they can add a chair for your nephew.  Hopefully, you can be seated in a way that adding a chair for your nephew doesn't take up another adult's chair (they let us add our kids meal eating 4 year old to our reservation without charging for her.  the tables are rectangles, and we added our 4 year old's chair to the side my 7 year old and I sat at, and she was a little over the other side of the table, but my 12 year old was seated there so we weren't infringing upon anyone else's space and they didn't lose a paying seat.  I think you can politely request this accommodation, and hopefully they will grant it.  They aren't required to do so, but hopefully they will.  If not, make your reservation while the kids club is open if your nephew likes the kids club.

Thank you for the suggestion!  I will pass the info along. 

16 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Ya know...I usually let this kind of stuff slide.  But, I'm getting smeared here.  So...let's recap.

-Parents wanted teen daughter to eat with them in Teppanyaki for free under the "children eat free" policy because NCL let them do that when daughter was younger (and still perhaps not a child)

-Parents were angry because teen daughter, on this occasion, was not allowed to be considered a child and offered a free dinner

-Teen daughter cried but after complaining, was seated and took up an alleged paying customer's seat at Teppenyaki to "watch the show" (which I took to mean a theater show, my apology), and perhaps share parents' meal because there was so much food, but teen couldn't possibly eat that amount of food

-Parents are angry because they feel entitled given they've stayed in the Haven

-Parents are angry because they showed up at Teppenyaki but daughter did not have a reservation and (this is where it gets sketchy again) was not allowed to sit at their table?  Was allowed to sit and watch the chef prepare a meal at the table?  Was charged for a burger?

Trying to extrapolate the story here, but it's difficult as the facts (or lack thereof) are hard to separate from the complaint.

You pretty much hit it except any against op are not informed.

While many get it free with paid fees, $70 is crazy too much for that venue.  Plus downgraded steak.

14 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

If you read the original post where OP said:  "We explained that she had joined us in 3 other Specialties without issue that week." which would make this dining experience the fouth on that cruise for the three of them. 

That's likely because, at the other specialty dining places, menu items were à la carte and they could just pay for one thing (like OP stated with her eating Lobster Thermidor at Le Bistro). Teppanyaki is a flat-fee venue, so that strategy won't work. There, it's either free for kids under 12 or full freight if they're over 12. BTW OP seems to have fled the scene here, LOL.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, davencl said:

If this had been either of my 15 year old daughters they would have been crying too.   So embarrassed by my behavior.

One time I went to a steak house with my mother.  The full meal included a very extensive salad bar.  My mother decided that I should have her salad bar and she'd have her steak.  I was very embarrased and never went back there.  I had to teach my mother a lesson! (I was in my late 20's at the time.)

Bottom line....people want something for nothing.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

If you've cruised for a while, we all know that ALL cruise lines overcharge for a la carte drinks and specialty food.  $70/pp for essentially a meal similar to Benihana's is pretty crazy.  But, as part of the dining package, it's a good deal.  Daughter was considered A) not a child because she was 15, and B) not part of the dining package because her parents didn't buy it for her.  Ergo, she paid the inflated price.

The reasons she wasn't included in the dining package (she wasn't that hungry, she could share her parents meal, her fare was "only" $200 less than her parents, she wasn't allowed under the children's menu because she was 15 y/o, she was upset, she's a nice person, she's shy, she's pretty, etc) are superfluous.  They wanted a free dinner for her.  They didn't get it, for all the reasons discussed here, ad infinitum.

Resort hotels are the same.  Ever try to buy a can of soda from a mainstream hotel..even those with lobby self serve areas?  We all know they're all of 50¢, max...even with profit rolled in.  You'll be lucky to get a can of soda for $2.  Burger at a hotel restaurant?  $18-$20...maybe more.  Same Burger at Five Guys (and it's way better)...$9...and that's with bacon.

Cruise ships are resorts.  They just happen to be floating on water that take you to places you can't ordinarily go.  They give you a nice room to stay in.  They feed you (in the buffet every day if you don't want to pay extra).  They entertain you (most, if not all shows are free).

I guess you could go to McDonald's and ask for a Happy Meal if you're a teen.  But, don't ask for free orders of burgers or fries because your daughter is a teen and doesn't eat much, because you paid for your double qtr pounder with cheese and bacon as well as a large fry and a large shake.  You ain't gettin' it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, Lionkingrichard said:

Read and learn. Every dinner location has a kids menu. Parents can order off the kids menu!

Sounds like some of you have never offered your family a bite of something? OK SURE!

For those that think we stole something from NCL good for you. We have stayed in the Haven 3 times and have paid our fair share!

Bottom line is that she is 15 and kids menu is for 10 and under.

Are you saying that the other specialty restaurants onboard allowed her to eat off the kids menu??  If they did, they were wrong.

Are you insinuating that the 15 year old sits in the restaurant with you and eats portions of your plate so you don't have to buy her meal?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

That is the most important fact in this discussion.   The policy is 12 and under therefore she would be charged.  It appears they got away with this at the other restaurants until Teppanyaki which placed a charge but then took it away.  I can only imagine if I was 15 the embarrassment I would have felt that night 🙄

This does raise a legitimate question about a different scenario for me - at an a la carte restaurant, is there a policy on what a guest has to order in a speciality restaurant?  There was another forum post about someone whose elderly mother is the third guest in their room, and not eligible for a dining package. They said she mostly just shared food with them in the past and wondered how NCL would handle it.  

I told them to stay away from Moderno and Teppanyaki and the other fixed price restaurants, but wondered if they'd be allowed to just order an appetizer at a specialty restaurant or if NCL has rules about taking up a seat in an a la carte restaurant and not ordering an entree. I didn't know if they'd let an elderly passenger just order an appetizer.  Has anyone ever experienced that kind of a situation?

Edited by kitkat343

1 hour ago, kitkat343 said:

There was another forum post about someone whose elderly mother is the third guest in their room, and not eligible for a dining package. They said she mostly just shared food with them in the past and wondered how NCL would handle it.  

She's eligible.....if she pays for a package. She doesn't get it included in the promo. 

1 hour ago, kitkat343 said:

I told them to stay away from Moderno and Teppanyaki and the other fixed price restaurants, but wondered if they'd be allowed to just order an appetizer at a specialty restaurant or if NCL has rules about taking up a seat in an a la carte restaurant and not ordering an entree.

She can order a la carte in the specialty restaurants if she only wants an appetizer, side, dessert, etc. She isn't required to order an entrée. What was happening was that people with the package were ordering extra apps, sides, etc. and would try to feed the 3rd guest using the packages from guests 1&2 who had the SDP. Now, NCL has limits on what the package covers. 

I am curious as to whether the hostesses at the restaurants can see the age info of kids when they scan their cards because it’s possible some were underestimating her age at the other specialty restaurants particularly if she is petite .
My mother was getting away with kids bus fare up until she was 6 months pregnant with me in her late 20s, and I was getting carded for alcohol purchases until my mid 30s.  Most of my family on both sides regularly get our ages underestimated 10 years or more. 

22 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

What was happening was that people with the package were ordering extra apps, sides, etc. and would try to feed the 3rd guest using the packages from guests 1&2 who had the SDP. Now, NCL has limits on what the package covers. 

Wow talk about being creative to beat the system. 

I’m a retired hairstylist. I had a client who would come each week for a wash and blow dry.

One week she asked me to “trim her bangs” and of course I did and didn’t charge her.
The next week she asked me if I could “just snip the middle length at her nape as it was getting caught on her collar” 

When she came in the 3rd week and asked me to “trim over her ears” I nicely told her she would be charged for a haircut. 
She was flabbergasted! She said “but you’re only cutting a few hairs not a full haircut”

There are people who think the rules don’t apply to them. She was ultimately working at getting a free haircut over a period of 3 weeks just to save an extra $30 at the time.
Needless to say I never saw her again after that lol

What gets me about this whole “trying to feed 3 people but only paying for 2 on a cruise” is we all pay hundreds if not thousands of dollars to cruise are we really going to worry about spending an extra $70 on our kid’s or parent’s meal?  
Clearly we can afford it if we’re cruising. It makes zero sense to me. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The one thing about no sharing that annoys me in particular is the pizza at Onda. It is my understanding that the 3rd person in the room can't come to Onda and share the pizza, right? But also you can't get the pizza to go.

Yes, I fully understand that nobody is forced to order the pizza!!! However! It seems like such a waste of food, wish the "infrastructure of sharing" made more sense, to me anyway. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, styles27 said:

What gets me about this whole “trying to feed 3 people but only paying for 2 on a cruise” is we all pay hundreds if not thousands of dollars to cruise are we really going to worry about spending an extra $70 on our kid’s or parent’s meal?  
Clearly we can afford it if we’re cruising. It makes zero sense to me. 

not in support of OP (rules are clear there, and it's frankly embarrassing to try to share flat rate dining experiences), but sure, $70 compared to the cruise fare is small potatoes at that point. But with all the nickle and diming, that $70 isn't likely to be the only thing extra you have to pay for beyond the cruise fare. We spent another ~$500 on board the ship. And that's after upgrading internet, paying for unlimited arcade, and prepaying gratuities before boarding. And lets not even talk about the inflated excursion prices. Obviously we could have spent less, and everyone makes choices for their families as to what they believe is a good value. but just pointing out that that $70, had they chose to spend it, is likely on top of several other charges already. we saved for our vacation, so that's why we could afford it. choices have to be made about where the extra spending goes. 

23 minutes ago, AwesomO said:

not in support of OP (rules are clear there, and it's frankly embarrassing to try to share flat rate dining experiences), but sure, $70 compared to the cruise fare is small potatoes at that point. But with all the nickle and diming, that $70 isn't likely to be the only thing extra you have to pay for beyond the cruise fare. We spent another ~$500 on board the ship. And that's after upgrading internet, paying for unlimited arcade, and prepaying gratuities before boarding. And lets not even talk about the inflated excursion prices. Obviously we could have spent less, and everyone makes choices for their families as to what they believe is a good value. but just pointing out that that $70, had they chose to spend it, is likely on top of several other charges already. we saved for our vacation, so that's why we could afford it. choices have to be made about where the extra spending goes. 

Granted but trying to pass your obviously 15 year old daughter off - despite how wonderful and perfect and not a bother she is - as a 12 years or under child despite knowing what the rules and policies are, is above and beyond determining where the extra charges should go.

Edited by RD64
Spelling
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, AwesomO said:

Obviously we could have spent less, and everyone makes choices for their families as to what they believe is a good value. but just pointing out that that $70, had they chose to spend it, is likely on top of several other charges already. we saved for our vacation, so that's why we could afford it. choices have to be made about where the extra spending goes. 

Then the only choice that complies with the rules is to avoid the specialty dining restaurants.