What's Gotten Better

pmallen

We just got off a 15-day Panama Canal cruise (you can read my Live From elsewhere) and we had a wonderful trip.

This was our 5th cruise, going back to our first, exactly 30 years ago, all on Princess. I started following Cruise Critic not long after it started in the late 90s.

And people here have been complaining that cruising is going to Hell for the entire three decades! We complain about the ships, the ports, the food, the sales,  the CEO, the volume on the movies and more.

That's human nature, of course. We're more inclined to share when we're unhappy, than when we're satisfied. But if all I knew about cruising is what I read here, why would I ever go on one??!!??

So I thought I'd try something different: what's better? That's right, what about cruising has improved over time? Because there's lots. There really is.

I'll go first: coffee!  On our first couple cruises, the coffee was simply dreadful. It came from some sort of concentrate made by people who, I think, didn't really like coffee. Then they added coffee bars for an upcharge, so you had to pay extra for decent coffee. This was a regular topic here 25 years ago. Trust me! Today, the coffee is fine. Not spectacular, but decent, whether room service, dining room, or buffet. 

Now its your turn. What do you think has gotten better about Princess specifically,  or cruising in general?

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

(Putting on my flame proof suit)...

The Medallion

I just returned from 21 days on HAL's newest ship, and loved everything about it except using and keeping track of the old fashioned cruise card.

Met a couple who felt the same,  We bored our dinner companions to extreme,  going on and on about Princess's Medallion and how much we liked it. 

• Like 19
  • Haha 3

Just now, phoebe2m said:

I like that the photographers don't pester us in the dining room any longer. If you want your photo taken you go to the photographer. 

+1

Also we can opt out of getting most of the paper ads in our cabin.  So refreshing NOT to receive all that EFFY stuff...

• Like 22

It's so true.  Cruise critic is the place to send people when you want to convince them that cruising is the worst vacation method available.

#1 Medallion.  Just a huge fan.

#2 Smoking Rules.  Ironically I was a smoker when I started cruising and would not have started cruising if the smoking rules were as they are now.  I LOVED smoking on the balcony...but as a current non-smoker I'm glad to not have to smell it from my balcony.

• Like 17

Dining reservations in the App. Works really well for us. While I do miss fixed dining, we have basically been able to recreate it for ourselves by making reservations every day at the same time before the cruise. We still enjoy great service at the same table this way.

• Like 8

Drinks included in the 'Packages' now can be delivered to your cabin - for us, that was very nice.

also most other places on the ship, but we really didn't utilize that feature.

We like the medallion / even with the at times the wonky app.  

• Like 11

Love the medallion.  I love that I can leave it in my wristlet and I don't need to get it out to open my door.  Was on a recent couple of cruises on NCL and Carnival (I know, I know!) and had cards on both and hated having to dig it out for the door and scanning when leaving/entering the ship.  Medallion is where it's at!  On that same note, while I likely won't do another Carnival cruise (was for family) I really liked that you can request a table for breakfast in the dining room via the app and they let you know when your table is ready and you can head to the dining room.  I was astounded at how many people were actually standing there waiting for a table!  Isn't it the young'uns that are supposed to be so tech savvy? 🤣

• Like 5

I have a whole list of what I believe is better .. 

The beds and bedding … so very comfy able now! 
The handheld shower heads .. big yay!  
Dinner reservations from the app so I can actually go to which dining room and what time I prefer

The much expanded room service menu and getting food where I want

The smaller portions (that is actually a plus for me because I detest wasting food) 

The less formal atmosphere in the dining rooms 

The check in process and disembarkation processes 

The Plus and Premier Packages 

Discounts on the excursions 

The craft sessions 

Live music options all over the ship, even during the PES happy hour

No smoking on the balconies 

Access to the beverage package from room service 

Expanded options at the international cafe and the grill by the pool (chicken tacos and even lobster rolls) 

Officer engagement 

The medallion class experience from booking to checking your account, easy access to your cabin, locating friends, booking excursions, checking on your personalized schedule, directions around the ship, celebratory messages on the digital screens, bartenders knowing who you are and what you like, etc 

3 future cruise consultants onboard each ship now

Oh yes, and the coffee 

Have I forgotten anything?  Im sure there is something I’ve failed to mention something … 

Edited by Cruise Raider
  • Like 17

2 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I have a whole list of what I believe is better .. 

The beds and bedding … so very comfy able now! 
The handheld shower heads .. big yay!  
Dinner reservations from the app so I can actually go to which dining room and what time I prefer

The much expanded room service menu and getting food where I want

The smaller portions (that is actually a plus for me because I detest wasting food) 

The less formal atmosphere in the dining rooms 

The check in process and disembarkation processes 

The Plus and Premier Packages 

Discounts on the excursions 

The craft sessions 

Live music options all over the ship, even during the PES happy hour

No smoking on the balconies 

Access to the beverage package from room service 

Expanded options at the international cafe and the grill by the pool (chicken tacos and even lobster rolls) 

Officer engagement 

The medallion class experience from booking to checking your account, easy access to your cabin, etc 

Oh yes, and the coffee 

Have I forgotten anything?  Im sure there is something I’ve failed to mention something … 

Oh, gawd, yes, the bedding! Remember needing to have your cabin steward first remake the twins as a queen, the put egg crate foam over the whole thing so it was sleepable?

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

Oh yes .. I forgot to mention, I love the On Demand capabilities of the TV now.  Remember how you may have missed one little section of the wake show and watch the whole thing over again to get that part you missed?  
Or when you wanted to watch a certain movie but it was showing at an in opportune time.  Now, you can watch half of it at any time you wish, go out and pick back up where you left off.  
And all the Love Boat seasons are available.  Sometimes, they are just fun to

watch!  

Autotips .. so much better for both sides now

Photos .. you can get as a digital download or have them printed right from you app 

ok .. I’m sure there are more things that I can rave about

I really think everything is much more to our liking now than ever before 

Edited by Cruise Raider
  • Like 13

The new muster drill or lack thereof. Watching the video while unpacking and then visiting your station for a quick medallion tap sure beats everyone traipsing to their stations carrying life jackets and then sitting through the "lecture".

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

And all the Love Boat seasons are available.  Sometimes, they are just fun to

watch!

Back in the day, I wasn't a fan...but I just loved feeling the nostalgia of days gone by as I watched them on our Mediterranean cruise last June. 

And I agree with all the rest of your post too...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

The new muster drill or lack thereof. Watching the video while unpacking and then visiting your station for a quick medallion tap sure beats everyone traipsing to their stations carrying life jackets and then sitting through the "lecture".

oh yes … 100%!  

And I almost forgot to mention .. STABILIZERS!  One of my first cruises, I was so sea sick, I swore I’d get off that ship and never get back on bother one.  

Edited by Cruise Raider
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

Which ship are you on?  I've only had one and she was really never very busy (or helpful to me).  

OP...thank you for starting this thread.  Sometimes we "forget" how great life on a cruise can be.

• Like 5

Price - cruising is the best bargain for a vacation. Just try pricing out an all inclusive resort.  

Muster Drill - no more packed in like sardines

Medallion/App ordering room service ANYWHERE on the ship 

Unlimited internet - anyone remember logging on and off with silly timed minutes?

Healthy food choices in the MDR, more than boring beef and chicken.

No more endless amounts of paper piling up from Spa or Art sales ads. 

• Like 18

Our first cruise we didn't have TV's in staterooms or wifi at all - so definite improvement!

Agree on the beds, so comfy.

Another vote for the auto-gratuity and/or plus package.

Also the medallion instead of key or card.

And definitely the new muster drill.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Which ship are you on?  I've only had one and she was really never very busy (or helpful to me).  

OP...thank you for starting this thread.  Sometimes we "forget" how great life on a cruise can be.

I know, I love this thread!  

I was on the Royal just a couple of days back.  I was on the Ruby back in November when they were just starting to roll this out.  We met with the corporate members at that time telling us of the plans to have extra consultants on the ship to assist with your travel planning.  On the Diamond earlier this year is when I noticed the full compliment of assistants in the Future Cruise area.  They even had a special that you could get 1/2 off your cruise rate if you booked while onboard.  So, of course, I took advantage of that!  Put that in another win column for things better now!  I’ve never seen an offer like that before.  

• Like 9

Where to start?

We love so much!!

Medallion, medallion app, the staff, the service, the dining options, all of the fun game shows, the Ultimate Ship Tour (please bring it back), Chef Table, Winemakers Dinner, Super Tuscan Dinner, the shows, Concierge Lounge, the pools, being "on holiday" with my sweetheart, arriving somewhere new so often without having to drive or fly, the great Princess Dream beds, the music, the pools, the festive atmosphere, the new friends that we make, the anticipation, the Plus and Premiere packages (including Princess Prizes and the critically reviewed desserts).

• Like 13

1 minute ago, jwattle said:

Where to start?

We love so much!!

Medallion, medallion app, the staff, the service, the dining options, all of the fun game shows, the Ultimate Ship Tour (please bring it back), Chef Table, Winemakers Dinner, Super Tuscan Dinner, the shows, Concierge Lounge, the pools, being "on holiday" with my sweetheart, arriving somewhere new so often without having to drive or fly, the great Princess Dream beds, the music, the pools, the festive atmosphere, the new friends that we make, the anticipation, the Plus and Premiere packages (including Princess Prizes and the critically reviewed desserts).

Oh yes .. that winemaker’s dinner!  Absolutely amazing!  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

…I really liked that you can request a table for breakfast in the dining room via the app and they let you know when your table is ready and you can head to the dining room.  I was astounded at how many people were actually standing there waiting for a table!  Isn't it the young'uns that are supposed to be so tech savvy? 🤣

Do you need to request a table for breakfast the day before for a specific time as you would for dinner?  Or did you do it that morning and ask for the next available table? How were you notified when it was ready?

thanks 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

I really liked that you can request a table for breakfast in the dining room via the app and they let you know when your table is ready and you can head to the dining room.  I was astounded at how many people were actually standing there waiting for a table!  Isn't it the young'uns that are supposed to be so tech savvy? 🤣

Wait, what???  You can request a table at breakfast?  When did that start?  Instructions please.  Oh, happy day.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1