Apex or Silly

mugwood

I've done Norway cruises several times (HAL, X, RCI) and would recommend Silhouette. Even if it's yucky out, it's still delightful to watch sail-ins from the Sky Lounge = same view as the bridge essentially.  I used my balconies quite a bit but always appreciated having a Plan B.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, southernbreezes said:

We will never agree on this issue but why... would anyone want to sit in a 200 sq. foot cabin with a 42 sq. foot veranda in the first place? There is a beautiful ship out there! This is a little better picture than posted.

CelCon111-6083-1621528639.webp

If this is a balcony I have over 50 balconies in my house.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

I've done Norway cruises several times (HAL, X, RCI) and would recommend Silhouette. Even if it's yucky out, it's still delightful to watch sail-ins from the Sky Lounge = same view as the bridge essentially.  I used my balconies quite a bit but always appreciated having a Plan B.

I'm quoting myself, because I wanted to add, if I were booking a regular veranda on Silhouette for the fjords, I would probably book a cabin ON the flat part of the hump this time for better line of sight.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, southernbreezes said:

Not me my upcoming Apex TA will be my 66th cruise. My next 3 cruises will also be on E-class ships.

The infinite veranda is a balcony how do you not call it one? Plus you get the room extension which is a huge plus. If the weather is bad you will not use your balcony more than likely but the views from the IV will be excellent. The Sky Lounge is a waste of space no one is ever there. I guess if you like being bored go and sit for a while. The Edge class has Eden and much better dining venues.

No contest Silhouette.

Did the Fjords last June. Used our "real" balcony every day.

Sky lounge, with its great forward views, enhanced seating and rocking chairs was fully utilised all day, every day.

Spa Pool also now has rocking chairs and great views. 

Sorry a cabin with a window that drops down is not a balcony. The tiny, low, straight backed chairs are no substitute for the recling chairs on real balconies. 

If Infinity balconies are so great:

1) why don't the Suites have them?

2) why doesn't X feature them in any of the  TV commercials running in the UK.

• Like 2

Oh thank goodness, another thread turned into why "infinite verandahs are evil and will mean the end of civilization as we know it". 

Both ships are lovely. I assume the itineraries are the same? If not, go with the better itinerary.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruzeluver said:

Oh thank goodness, another thread turned into why "infinite verandahs are evil and will mean the end of civilization as we know it". 

Of course they're not evil. It's when someone makes the ridiculous claim that they have balconies that these threads go off the rails. Some people just can't seem to like IVs for what they are.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2023 at 10:11 AM, NMTraveller said:

E class has very few views unless you are sailing in a suite.

How can you say that when almost every cabin has a wall of window in it?  How much view do you want?  Just wondering.

We booked the aft Sunset because our cruise buds like to walk out and loved our aft Solstice cruises back there, I would've been perfectly happy with the infinite window balcony, I don't need the wind in my hair all the time.  The view is what I'm after.

Edited by BecciBoo

31 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

How can you say that when almost every cabin has a wall of window in it?  How much view do you want?  Just wondering..

I want views while walking around the ship.

E class has inward facing views.  S class has outward facing views.  Windows ALL OVER the ship.

E class was a huge disappointment as far as views go.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

But the suites DO have them.  A bunch in the Magic Carpet area on 4 decks, etc.

Incorrect. ALL suites have balconies on E-class, including those in the Magic Carpet area. NO suites on E-class are IVs.

15 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Incorrect. ALL suites have balconies on E-class, including those in the Magic Carpet area. NO suites on E-class are IVs.

I see it.  What is the true definition of balcony, is it that you walk out onto the floor and its always open air or you walk onto a floor and open and shut a window.  Both are divided from the cabin itself by a barrier, one a sliding door the other a folding door...same sq ft unless it's a suite or Sunset.  I just don't see much difference.  The only difference I see is that one can exclude rainy weather the other cannot and one has a drain in the floor the other doesn't.  You say tomahto, I say tomato.  Its the same structure, just treated differently.  None of them hang out over the bulkhead, they're all flat against the ship except for bump outs.As another poster said, we will never fully agree, there are two types here one doesn't like the IV one does, simple.  I may be a third, just don't care at all.  I'm happy anywhere on mostly any ship.....except Carni.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I see it.  What is the true definition of balcony, is it that you walk out onto the floor and its always open air or you walk onto a floor and open and shut a window.  Both are divided from the cabin itself by a barrier, one a sliding door the other a folding door...same sq ft  I just don't see much difference.  The only difference I see is that one can exclude rainy weather the other cannot and one has a drain in the floor the other doesn't.  You say tomahto, I say tomato.  Its the same structure, just treated differently.  None of them hang out over the bulkhead, they're all flat against the ship except for bump outs. 

Our home has both a 'Sun room" and an open deck, both are extensions of our home but totally different in use and design. Our sun room is all glass with windows that open, while our open deck has no windows. The IV veranda IMO is nothing more than a sunroom with a window that opens, while aft sunset veranda and all suites have a traditional open air balcony. If the IV verandas were so popular why do all aft sunset veranda cabins sell out first on any cruise? We only sail in suites on E Class ships for the traditional balconies, we did a one and done in an IV veranda on the Edge in 2019 and hated the concept.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

What is the true definition of balcony

I didn't want to get into it other than to note that your comment about the existence of IV Suites on E-class ships was incorrect. But since you asked, a balcony is outside one's cabin. You need to go through an exterior door to go outside and be on a balcony. Balconies offer personal exterior space. There are no personal exterior spaces with IV cabins. You can open the window, you can close the thin bi-fold screens, but you are still indoors.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Our sun room is all glass with windows that open, while our open deck has no windows. The IV veranda IMO is nothing more than a sunroom with a window that opens,

I'll buy this reasoning, but it still makes no difference to me, I can see advantages to both, but whatever floats one's boat............

13 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I didn't want to get into it other than to note that your comment about the existence of IV Suites on E-class ships was incorrect. But since you asked, a balcony is outside one's cabin. You need to go through an exterior door to go outside and be on a balcony. Balconies offer personal exterior space. There are no personal exterior spaces with IV cabins. You can open the window, you can close the thin bi-fold screens, but you are still indoors.

The other big issue with IV cabins I have not seen covered. We usually cruise with my sister and BIL or friends and we get adjoining cabins and with a traditional balcony we can open up the dividers between cabins and double the size of our outdoor area. Impossible to do this with an IV cabin.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
On 3/4/2023 at 7:39 AM, Cruise a holic said:

We enjoy both.  Since you are coming off the reflection, and the silly is a twin ship,  the apex is a different experience.  I would suggest you try it.  The apex has multiple dining rooms which are like restaurants each with a few different items to choose from.  The silly, like the reflection, has a banquet style MDR.    

It's not "Silly", it's Silhouette!  What would you call "Titanic"?

Elvis

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/4/2023 at 10:11 AM, NMTraveller said:

E class has very few views unless you are sailing in a suite.  No sky lounge.  Very few outward facing windows.  On my Cabo cruise I could see whales spouting all around the ship just while walking around.  This would not be probable on E class.  

I would not sail E class for a scenic itinerary as one wants to see the beauty even while walking around the ship.  

This reminds me of Anthem of the Seas. I felt like I was in a beautiful floating tin can. It took an effort to find the views. No thanks! I love the M-class ships and look forward to trying the S-class ships on my next two sailings in “hump” cabins. 

For us,  it would  include  other factors..not just Sunroom vs True  Balc. That's a personal taste debate that will never end..We enjoy both so never a deal breaker.

'

some factors....size of ship, itins, solarium areas,  dining, entertainment, best value..etc

26 minutes ago, hcat said:

For us,  it would  include  other factors..not just Sunroom vs True  Balc. That's a personal taste debate that will never end..We enjoy both so never a deal breaker.

'

some factors....size of ship, itins, solarium areas,  dining, entertainment, best value..etc

Honestly while currently on the “silly” as many refer to it, the edge class ships have some wonderful features.  Worth a try.  We typically sail in suites, and the amenities are wonderful!  However many enjoy the infinite balconies, cove balconies or aft balconies.  Aft and cove balconies more traditional 

Posted (edited)
On 3/6/2023 at 9:12 AM, BecciBoo said:

But the suites DO have them.  A bunch in the Magic Carpet area on 4 decks, etc.

The RS on E class has one half balcony and one half IV with uncomfortable seating and no door or window that opens.

Edited by billc23

On 3/5/2023 at 6:53 AM, terrydtx said:

Exactly, it is an ocean view cabin with a window that opens and closes. 

So all ocean view cabins have windows that open? Interesting.