Cruising Alone? Safe or Questionable?

I am considering cruising alone since all my cruising mates are either no longer interested in cruising or don't want me cruising with them because they are heavy drinkers and only want to cruise where drink packages are included (NCL or MSC) because they don't want me to be forced to buy a 7 day drink package, which I wouldn't anyway at these prices.

I am considering just doing my own cruises, 50 something year old female, do I really need to worry about my safety?  I've been on enough cruises to know the safety tips.

Also, I am seeing where solo cruisers are actually paying for the same room that 2 people are getting.  I priced a cruise on Royal for 1 person (not a Studio cabin either) just in interior cabin and it was $300 more than if I selected 2 people for the same room.  Can I book the cruise for 2 people so that I can get the cheaper rate, and then call after I pay my cruise in full and say passenger #2 isn't coming, remove them from my booking?  I don't think I should have to pay $300 more for being 1 person, especially since I'm not eating as much as a 2 person booking.  Make no sense.

Anyway thoughts on solo cruising, I only cruise Royal, Carnival, NCL.....

• Like 1

I pushed pts last year to reach 340 where solo on rcl gets a 25% discount. I've cruised alone a lot. 

If you book for 2 it's a gty if its $300 less. If you cancel the 2nd pax the cabin could get refared. @Ourusualbeachwould know if you can cancel. My caveat is if you book 2 pax, you dont get the extra solo pt. My ta has group rates that match or are less than the gty price. Maybe try a ta. Ask around the diamond lounge or some place on your next cruise. 

I dont fear for safety. 

Edited by firefly333

10 minutes ago, mickeychicky said:

There are hundreds of solos on every cruise (more on big ships). There is absolutely no concern about safety on the ship. I am [much] older and will travel solo from time to time on Royal and NCL (for the beverage package). I go to the same restaurants, same bars, same shows, and same activities as when we travel together (which is about 3/4 of the time - multiple cruises a year). In port, I will use ship's shore excursions and stay in the touristy areas of the port (not wandering down back alleys) and feel perfectly safe. 

You should enjoy yourself. Go on a cruise. Don't feel the need to travel in a group. 

• Like 4

I cruise twice a year solo.  I am not single, but I find going alone is good for all kinds of things (sense of independence, etc.) and I picked cruising because I feel it's a safe way to travel by myself.  I used to go to a health spa, but for the price, I can go on two or three cruises.  Look for single supplement discount sales.   The first time I did this, I did it because Celebrity had a sale and I got a week in a spa balcony cabin with a drinks packages, tips, etc. for $1,500.  What I do now is reserve the cabin I want when I want to go if I think the price is right for even two people and then keep an eye on discounts and sales.  If you go off season, something usually comes up as the cruise gets closer.  I am going on a Celebrity week long coastal cruise on 4/1 and have gotten two discounts and an additional $500 cruise credit since I booked about 8 months ago.  Its running me around $2,500, but with drinks, tips, and $500 cruise cash included.

• Like 4

Most of my family won't cruise and my major cruise buddy and his girlfriend have decided since Covid to be self prisoners and won't travel so for cruises I am again stuck solo/solo.   So what you can do to feel safe is make friends on the roll calls both CC and  groups elsewhere and off the ship do things with them. Also I always found it easy to make friends onboard. Always ask to share table at dinner. 

• Like 2

My understanding is that you can book for 2 people and leave it at that. If the 2nd person doesn't show up to board what are they going to do? They can't force the 2nd person to go on the cruise.

I'm also under the impression that when your 2nd doesn't show up, you can have the port and taxes for that passenger refunded.

In other words, you don't have to change it to one person. I think you don't get double points though.

We did this, but then passenger 2 decided to join.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2023 at 9:34 AM, mickeychicky said:

I am considering cruising alone since all my cruising mates are either no longer interested in cruising or don't want me cruising with them because they are heavy drinkers and only want to cruise where drink packages are included (NCL or MSC) because they don't want me to be forced to buy a 7 day drink package, which I wouldn't anyway at these prices.

I am considering just doing my own cruises, 50 something year old female, do I really need to worry about my safety?  I've been on enough cruises to know the safety tips.

Also, I am seeing where solo cruisers are actually paying for the same room that 2 people are getting.  I priced a cruise on Royal for 1 person (not a Studio cabin either) just in interior cabin and it was $300 more than if I selected 2 people for the same room.  Can I book the cruise for 2 people so that I can get the cheaper rate, and then call after I pay my cruise in full and say passenger #2 isn't coming, remove them from my booking?  I don't think I should have to pay $300 more for being 1 person, especially since I'm not eating as much as a 2 person booking.  Make no sense.

I'm a solo, but a male and don't have any concerns as there are many solos on any ship.  For instance, I sailed Anthem on February 4 and was seated at early dinner with 4 ladies all solos, either divorced or widowed.  Held my own in any conversation.😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I think cruising solo is a great thing. Especially as more cruise lines are offering solo rooms (NCL and MSC). Not sure on the pricing, but it's still a great idea.

My only concern is doing excursions on your own, outside of the cruise line. I would say that might be the only area I would stay away from. If the excursion is through the cruise line, there will be others with you, so you will be safe.

Go enjoy!

• Like 1

To me being on a cruise ship is about as safe as it can get.   With any travel, one should take appropriate precautions for personal safety, but on the ship is about the least likely place to face a personal safety situation.  Cameras everywhere and a closed society (no place to run if you will) make cruising pretty unique.  I’d certainly view exploring in the ports as the bigger issue of being solo, but that can be avoided and/or group tours are plentiful.  

Edited by topnole

My husband and I cruised for over 30 years, now that he has gone it does not keep me from cruising solo. I feel completely comfortable and "at home" on a ship and can navigate my favourite ports on my own. I have never felt unsafe in any of these situations. There are a handful of ports I wouldn't go alone, so I stay on board, no issues. 

• Like 6

Just got off 4 weeks of solo on Oasis and had an excellent time. Ended up having cruise friends on board some of those weeks and did two outings in Mexico with them. One was a place I’d been too many times and was new to them.

As far as safety on land, some ports I’ll book independent tours or wander myself. Other ports I only book RCL excursions, Jamaica is one 

Female in early 50’s

• Like 1

I travel by myself all the time — both on land and sea.  At sea is definitely safer, as long as you know what you are doing in the ports.

By the way, on Royal, only one person in the cabin must buy the drink package.  You just need to call to place the order.  You can still cruise with your friends if that is what is holding them back.

1 hour ago, PrincessPatti said:

I travel by myself all the time — both on land and sea.  At sea is definitely safer, as long as you know what you are doing in the ports.

By the way, on Royal, only one person in the cabin must buy the drink package.  You just need to call to place the order.  You can still cruise with your friends if that is what is holding them back.

The other adult still has to buy at least the refreshment package which nowadays ain’t cheap on most Royal cruises.

• Like 2

I've been cruising solo for over a year now, and I'm very happy with it.  You have to like your own company, because some cruises this last 14 months I've ended up with friends for life, and others it's like "friend crickets" territory. 

I have had not one single minute of discomfort over my safety. I plan my pre and post-cruise time very carefully.  Travel during daylight hours as much as possible, and take Uber to/from hotels/airports.  Never had a problem with an Uber driver, plus I always call someone from the car to "chat" and tell them I'm on my way to xyz.

I stay at hotels where I have vetted them through other travelers' reviews before I book.  I find hotels with restaurants, or something nearby if I arrive early enough.  

I may sound like Blanche DuBois from "Streetcar Named Desire", but I have found I can indeed depend on the kindness of strangers.  I think in the last 14 months I've had to put my overhead luggage up maybe 4 times.  I can't figure out why, and I never ask, but I appreciate it.

People in the US are generally nice if you need anything.  When I used to travel with a 50 lb suitcase (no more doing that......), all I had to do was find a large man under 45 at the baggage carousel, and politely ask if he would get it off for me.  Never turned down once. I've downsized considerably since then.

I took Amtrak from Baltimore to Newark NJ last month, and pretty much got adopted by a conductor when I couldn't tell which train was mine.  He came back and got me and my luggage off the train, too.  What a nice guy!

Americans, generally speaking, are usually very helpful when you need it and ask.

The no-show for a cabin-mate will probably work a time or two, but if you want to cruise a lot, I'd look into getting a few credit cards with statement bonuses and bonus points when you sign up.  

• Like 5

4 hours ago, SummerBeee said:

Just got off 4 weeks of solo on Oasis and had an excellent time. Ended up having cruise friends on board some of those weeks and did two outings in Mexico with them. One was a place I’d been too many times and was new to them.

As far as safety on land, some ports I’ll book independent tours or wander myself. Other ports I only book RCL excursions, Jamaica is one 

Female in early 50’s

And I walk around Falmouth by myself.  I have never felt unsafe.

• Like 1

• CC Help Michell changed the title to Cruising Alone? Safe or Questionable?
11 hours ago, pcur said:

I've been cruising solo for over a year now, and I'm very happy with it.  You have to like your own company, because some cruises this last 14 months I've ended up with friends for life, and others it's like "friend crickets" territory. 

I have had not one single minute of discomfort over my safety. I plan my pre and post-cruise time very carefully.  Travel during daylight hours as much as possible, and take Uber to/from hotels/airports.  Never had a problem with an Uber driver, plus I always call someone from the car to "chat" and tell them I'm on my way to xyz.

I stay at hotels where I have vetted them through other travelers' reviews before I book.  I find hotels with restaurants, or something nearby if I arrive early enough.  

I may sound like Blanche DuBois from "Streetcar Named Desire", but I have found I can indeed depend on the kindness of strangers.  I think in the last 14 months I've had to put my overhead luggage up maybe 4 times.  I can't figure out why, and I never ask, but I appreciate it.

People in the US are generally nice if you need anything.  When I used to travel with a 50 lb suitcase (no more doing that......), all I had to do was find a large man under 45 at the baggage carousel, and politely ask if he would get it off for me.  Never turned down once. I've downsized considerably since then.

I took Amtrak from Baltimore to Newark NJ last month, and pretty much got adopted by a conductor when I couldn't tell which train was mine.  He came back and got me and my luggage off the train, too.  What a nice guy!

Americans, generally speaking, are usually very helpful when you need it and ask.

The no-show for a cabin-mate will probably work a time or two, but if you want to cruise a lot, I'd look into getting a few credit cards with statement bonuses and bonus points when you sign up.  

Talk to me about the train ride on Amtrak, did you travel in Coach or Business? We are most likely going to take Amtrak(Northeast Corridor) Business from Roanoke to Newark Penn Station. Is that where you got off the train at?

Were your bags safe, did you keep them at the front of the train or all your bags in the overhead? Little concerned because ours is a 14 day cruise so we will have 3 larger suitcases that won't fit in the overhead area.

Hoping we will also have some help getting off the train in Newark, shouldn't have a real issue in Roanoke  getting on because that is where the train originates  from so should be plenty of room for our  larger bags.

If so did you go the day before your cruise, what hotel did you stay at? how much from hotel to ship in Bayonne, Taxi or Uber?

I've cruised alone more than 20 times just since COVID.  

I also do outside excursions (not with the cruise line) whenever I do an excursion.  

Just do your research and all will be fine.  

(FWIW, also a woman in her 50s.)

My wife only comes along on my cruises if there's great shopping at one or more of the ports, which works out to maybe one time in five. Royal charges me nearly as much as if she came along but of course they make much less on onboard packages and shore excursions, so the total bill is less than half. In my case I use solo cruising as a way to force me to decompress from my very demanding job.

On 3/7/2023 at 9:26 AM, Jimbo said:

Talk to me about the train ride on Amtrak, did you travel in Coach or Business? We are most likely going to take Amtrak(Northeast Corridor) Business from Roanoke to Newark Penn Station. Is that where you got off the train at?

Were your bags safe, did you keep them at the front of the train or all your bags in the overhead? Little concerned because ours is a 14 day cruise so we will have 3 larger suitcases that won't fit in the overhead area.

Hoping we will also have some help getting off the train in Newark, shouldn't have a real issue in Roanoke  getting on because that is where the train originates  from so should be plenty of room for our  larger bags.

If so did you go the day before your cruise, what hotel did you stay at? how much from hotel to ship in Bayonne, Taxi or Uber?

@pcur

Edited by Jimbo

On 3/7/2023 at 9:26 AM, Jimbo said:

Talk to me about the train ride on Amtrak, did you travel in Coach or Business? I traveled in Coach; senior rate that cost me $25 from Baltimore Penn to Newark Penn. We are most likely going to take Amtrak(Northeast Corridor) Business from Roanoke to Newark Penn Station. Is that where you got off the train at?

Were your bags safe, did you keep them at the front of the train or all your bags in the overhead?I put them in the luggage area of the train car I was sitting in, and sat where I could see them.  The overhead storage is dinky:  small backpack, purse, kind of dinky. Little concerned because ours is a 14 day cruise so we will have 3 larger suitcases that won't fit in the overhead area. They were in my line of sight the whole time.

Hoping we will also have some help getting off the train in Newark, shouldn't have a real issue in Roanoke  getting on because that is where the train originates  from so should be plenty of room for our  larger bags. Find a Red Cap as soon as you get to the station who can help getting your bags on the train.  When you stop at the end, be ready to get them off by moving them to the door, but the train will be sitting there at Newark for at least 10-15 minutes, and I think the Red Caps will be out at the track, too.

If so did you go the day before your cruise, what hotel did you stay at? how much from hotel to ship in Bayonne, Taxi or Uber? Yes, went in the day before and stayed at the Tryp Hotel.  Nice place and great restaurant in the hotel with a daily "real" breakfast buffet.  Dinner is very good, too.  Dutch's Restaurant:

Image result for restaurant in the Tryp HOtel Newark

Uber fare from Newark Penn to hotel was about $15, but the hotel has a shuttle that picks up/drops off at Amtrak Penn Newark.  I didn't use it because I didn't know it was complimentary. Uber to the port is about $25.

19 minutes ago, pcur said:
  On 3/7/2023 at 9:26 AM, Jimbo said:

Find a Red Cap as soon as you get to the station who can help getting your bags on the train.  When you stop at the end, be ready to get them off by moving them to the door, but the train will be sitting there at Newark for at least 10-15 minutes, and I think the Red Caps will be out at the track, too.

Sitting at Newark 10-15 minutes is not normal. Either the train was early or was being held for congestion between Newark and New York. There are not many Red Caps at Newark so I recommend that leaving Philadelphia Jimbo tell the Conductor they need Red Cap assistance at Newark.