Anthem engine issues this week

On 3/8/2023 at 6:33 AM, Sunshine3601 said:

Did you ask for chips at the salad bar area of 270?   Usually have to ask, haven't seem them sitting out on any of 2022 cruises on Anthem.

I did and they said room service only now. Room service said they don't have them !

• Like 1

On 3/10/2023 at 11:50 AM, Toddcan said:

I see on cruisemapper, that the Anthem is doing 18 knots.  It also says arrival at Bayonne at 8am Sunday, which (if accurate) would be a 2 hour delay.  Any word from anyone on board?

No delay in getting back to Bayonne, we were already docked at 6:am, when I woke up.  But we also got to Nassau on time, if not a bit early.

On 3/11/2023 at 9:50 PM, Smooth_J said:

On the 19th as well, and was planning to stay in the ship anyway and take care of some needed “work” that day. So I hope the internet is working better since StarLink took over. 

Starlink was TERRIBLE the week of February 26th.  Many, many internet refunds.  But they reset the system at the end of the cruise, and it was like night and day the week of March 5th.  If you have the same connectivity, I wouldn't anticipate any issues.  Although internet calling wasn't the best.  But if you're staying onboard in Florida, you can always use the hotspot on your cell phone!

1 hour ago, JsMom2 said:

No delay in getting back to Bayonne, we were already docked at 6:am, when I woke up.  But we also got to Nassau on time, if not a bit early.

So I take it from that post that the engines have been fixed?

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

So I take it from that post that the engines have been fixed?

No I don't think so.  The current sailing is skipping Port Canaveral altogether still.

I think, even with the reduced propulsion speed, the ship is able to make the two day trip back to Bayonne on time.

It's that first leg to Port Canaveral that is difficult with only one day of cruising (when speed needs to be reduced)

5 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Anyone getting an email or notification regarding the March 19th sailing? So far I have heard nothing and am assuming all will be as planned but I'm totally fine either way.

Marinetraffic website shows the Anthem ETA at Bayonne to be at 9am. looks like she will be arriving late

image.png.6e9c74af060c80ceda39b51102c52daa.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Anyone getting an email or notification regarding the March 19th sailing? So far I have heard nothing and am assuming all will be as planned but I'm totally fine either way.

I am on the 19th cruising, and I have not received any emails. Maybe they are hoping they can repair it along the way or at the Bayonne port.

1 hour ago, shof515 said:

Marinetraffic website shows the Anthem ETA at Bayonne to be at 9am. looks like she will be arriving late

This was covered already (see post 49) - those times are usually GMT. She was scheduled at the same time last weekend, and she was on time.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Orsino said:

I’m currently on anthem. We received notice of the cancelled port on Friday night before sailing so I wouldn’t make assumptions until Saturday. 

Thank you. I was wondering how far ahead of time you received communication about the itinerary change.

Dan

On 3/13/2023 at 10:19 AM, JsMom2 said:

Starlink was TERRIBLE the week of February 26th.  Many, many internet refunds.  But they reset the system at the end of the cruise, and it was like night and day the week of March 5th.  If you have the same connectivity, I wouldn't anticipate any issues.  Although internet calling wasn't the best.  But if you're staying onboard in Florida, you can always use the hotspot on your cell phone!

Tell me about this "reset" thing.

I was on the 26th, too.

On 3/13/2023 at 10:19 AM, JsMom2 said:

I don't know why the ships have wifi systems if they aren't going to periodically reboot them.  All wifi systems have issues, and yet RCI seems to only do a reboot (or reset as they call it 🙄) when they have to start refunding money.  Sigh.

• Like 1

I'm on the anthem now.   No indication they we will be late into Bayonne, in fact,  we got our deboarding assignments, and we're 7.40am, group 18.   

Wifi is off the charts horrible.    It's not so much speed.. in fact when you are connected,  I got speeds up to 100Mbps , but it's the dang connectivity.  Drops connection literally every 3-5 mins and most times does not automatically reconnect.    I've turned off/on wifi at least 100 times this cruise,  and 50% of the time,  I needed to turn off on multiplie times.   

Wifi on cococay was flawless though.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Toddcan said:

I'm on the anthem now.   No indication they we will be late into Bayonne, in fact,  we got our deboarding assignments, and we're 7.40am, group 18.   

Wifi is off the charts horrible.    It's not so much speed.. in fact when you are connected,  I got speeds up to 100Mbps , but it's the dang connectivity.  Drops connection literally every 3-5 mins and most times does not automatically reconnect.    I've turned off/on wifi at least 100 times this cruise,  and 50% of the time,  I needed to turn off on multiplie times.   

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry to hear about the wifi.

No big surprise on Bayonne though, since there are two full days back to get there, the ship can crawl along even when the propulsion is at 100%.  Interested to see if we get a letter tonight or tomorrow for an updated itinerary.

1 hour ago, Toddcan said:

I remember reading a post a while back that the connectivity issues could be related to something called "randomized MAC" and that switching to your device's MAC instead might fix the problem.

I'm not tech savvy enough to go into the ins and outs but maybe you could try this.

I think the post I saw was by @twangster

47 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

I remember reading a post a while back that the connectivity issues could be related to something called "randomized MAC" and that switching to your device's MAC instead might fix the problem.

I'm not tech savvy enough to go into the ins and outs but maybe you could try this.

Possible... mac address masking/spoofing could cause issues, and the iPhone has the setting turned on by default. The mac address is unique and tied to a particular device. If a lot of people have this feature turned on, and it seems to be required for authentication... there might be a possibility of a duplicate or just issues in general.

Edited by Smooth_J

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

Apple's randomized MAC is called "Private WiFi Address". 

There is also Apple's Relay service and if it's an AT&T branded phone it could have AT&T's version of Apple's Relay service.  Both are designed to "protect" you by tunneling all your traffic through them on the premise that your service provider is spying on.  Instead Apple/AT&T are spying on you.  They can also change the DNS servers again so that your ISP "can't spy on you".  Google offers these types of services as well.  They all really do it so they can monitor every packet your send and they know what you are doing and searching for.  The problem is all of these "protection" services can interfere with captive portals like the Voom login page.  

MSC does a better job informing people to disable all of these types of services.  Royal does not.  

• Thanks 1