New Policy, only one entree at a time?

6 hours ago, ldubs said:

Your comment reminded me --  wasn't there some cruise line talking about charging for 2nd or third entrees?  

Yes, I saw that at least one line was going to start charging for extra entrees. Especially on Lobster night. I think I saw that there was a charge for the 3rd lobster if you wanted one. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, joeyancho said:

Understandable.  It eliminates food waste. 

how????? If I only eat the meat off of the plates, I'll still only eat the meat no matter if they bring the steak and lobster out at the same time or one by one. Since they don't modify the plates anymore, I am still wasting the same stuff.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just off the Wonder and same experience in the MDR, only asked for an extra entree once on lobster night to make it a surf and turf. After the lobster I no longer wanted the steak so we just finished.

Different story at the speciality restaurants, at the Coco Cay Beach Club our waiter brought us a lobster to share in addition to our entrees and at Wonderland we were deciding between 2 entrees so our waiter brought us the branzino to share in addition to our short ribs we each ordered.  At Giovanni's we were offered additional entrees to share but we declined, too much food already.  

14 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

how????? If I only eat the meat off of the plates, I'll still only eat the meat no matter if they bring the steak and lobster out at the same time or one by one. Since they don't modify the plates anymore, I am still wasting the same stuff.

I agree, it makes no sense.   Supposedly the no substitutions/modification rule to to save on labor since they can have the food plated before you even walk in the dining room.  But then making the waiter do extra trips is more labor.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kruzerci said:

It’s incredible to me that people on social media will defend absolutely every cutback blindly no matter what it is. The blind loyalty people have to this company is perplexing. I used to love their product, but was also logical. 

As someone who has never ordered multiple entrees, nevermind 6-10 lobster tails, I am pleased that I won't continue to subsidize those who do as much as before.  That doesn't mean I blindly defend anything.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

But then making the waiter do extra trips is more labor.  

If you want two entrees you order them both at the same time, but they only put one on the table at a time. The other stays on the server's cart until you finish the first. One trip to the kitchen. 

Just now, billslowsky said:

As someone who has never ordered multiple entrees, nevermind 6-10 lobster tails, I am pleased that I won't continue to subsidize those who do as much as before.  That doesn't mean I blindly defend anything.  

I don’t generally, but I have in the past.  

But don’t get the wrong idea, you won’t see any increase in quality or reduction in price for you “subsidizing” everybody else. It’s just more going in their pocket. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kruzerci said:

I don’t generally, but I have in the past.  

But don’t get the wrong idea, you won’t see any increase in quality or reduction in price for you “subsidizing” everybody else. It’s just more going in their pocket. 

You don't know how it will affect future pricing, but it won't add to future increases.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, joeyancho said:

Understandable.  It eliminates food waste.   How many people go to a land restaurant and order 2 entrées?   

A land restaurant that offers UNLIMITED food for the same price...  i would.   especially if they let you TASTE one dish, you don't like it so you order a second one instead.

3 minutes ago, SG65CB said:

If you want two entrees you order them both at the same time, but they only put one on the table at a time. The other stays on the server's cart until you finish the first. One trip to the kitchen. 

how is it helping anyone?  why can't I have both entrees at the same time? I literally inhale food, unlike my mom or DH, so I want my entrees at the same time, because I don't want to wait 20 minutes for the waiter to bring me the second entree. Most of the time we end up at a big table with just the 3 of us, so there is plenty of space for extra plates.

I am planning to nicely ask for all the entrees if I want them at the same time. Being nice doesn't hurt.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kruzerci said:

The blind loyalty people have to this company is perplexing. I used to love their product, but was also logical. 

We've cruised different lines and this passionate loyalty exists across all brands.  Our Alaska Princess cruise last May had major issues that were discussed at the time on CC by those of us who were actually on the cruise who were critical were met backlash from the Princess loyalists that weren't even on that cruise.  

We just returned from the Wonder, had a great time despite all of the "cutbacks" as it appeared most passengers did.  Even with the CC doom and gloom, high prices and cutbacks the ship was full, most everything was sold out and the future cruise appointments were booked solid almost everyday with a lot of people waiting stand by to book another cruise.  

I don't think Royal or other lines are suffering from how they are currently operating.

26 minutes ago, SG65CB said:

So it is sitting in the cart getting cold?    How is that better than putting it on the table?  

Anyone else having Pink Floyd running through their head?  

"If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding!"

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Because instead of one partially consumed meal there would be two partially consumed meals.  

I wondered if the "waste" argument was the primary reason behind this change, suspecting instead it might be reducing cost.  Thinking about it, I suspect there is a tremendous amount of food going to waste.  If reducing waste is the driver, I wonder if this new policy might backfire because all of those second orders sitting in the serving cart might not even make it to the table.  Then, into the trash bin they go.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Subman738 said:

Yes, I saw that at least one line was going to start charging for extra entrees. Especially on Lobster night. I think I saw that there was a charge for the 3rd lobster if you wanted one. 

I just got off the Voyager of the Seas.  There is definitely a charge (approximately $17) for a SECOND lobster.

I would say 95% of the restaurants I frequent that have a decent steak on the menu allow for an addition of lobster, or at least shrimp. Pretty much the same as asking for a tail with your steak on a cruise. And land restaurant portions tend to be quite larger in my part of the US vs on a ship.

Edited by RedIguana
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, kruzerci said:

It’s incredible to me that people on social media will defend absolutely every cutback blindly no matter what it is. The blind loyalty people have to this company is perplexing. I used to love their product, but was also logical. 

If someone normally dines with the customary appetizer/entree/desert, they are not bothered by this change.  If they express that, then they re accused of being blind loyalists. While I've ordered more than one appetizer, entree, or dessert in the past, it is not a significant factor to my enjoying the cruise.   Truth is this change is of very little concern to me.

When we do family group cruises we are frequently offered some ethnic dishes served family style.  If that is no longer allowed it will be missed.       

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, BobNoxious said:

A land restaurant that offers UNLIMITED food for the same price...  i would.   especially if they let you TASTE one dish, you don't like it so you order a second one instead.

Reminds me of that certain land restaurant that offers exactly what you said.  

the dessert mention stuck out to me, as I was imagining myself ordering a dessert and some ice cream and them holding one of them hostage until I was done with the first.....I would be sad HAHA

But also....my two top last year barely had space for another plate, let alone one the size of an entree....that's what I would have had difficulty with haha

5 hours ago, GJustice said:

It was all meals in MDR last month. Wife wanted a croissant at breakfast and I had to wait for her to finish that before they brought out the entree plates. 

OK, I have to agree that is just a little harsh -- to the point of being foolishness.   Adding something like a croissant or english muffin to breakfast should be routine.  That is definitely different than ordering two entrees.  Hopefully this was just someone misinterpreting the new policy.  

• Like 1

All I can say i that if you want AYCE, head for the Windjammer.  Serve yourself.

I've never found the food in the MDR (or WJ, for that matter) to be so delicious I'd want a second serving of anything. 

But I've seen people in line for tacos or sitting at Playmakers eating at 3 or 4 o'clock in the afternoon then in line for early dining and still eating a second or third entree when we leave after dessert and coffee.     Must be that sea air.

• Like 1

It was all meals in MDR last month. Wife wanted a croissant at breakfast and I had to wait for her to finish that before they brought out the entree plates. 

No kidding. that's too much. Ugh.

• Like 1

Okay, THAT is ridiculous.  A croissant is not a course, it's part of your breakfast.  Up until this post I have been thinking that it's no big deal but this is just silly.  I'm hoping that they become a bit more relaxed about this rule before my October cruise.  Sheesh.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, dunedinmaiden said:

I just got off the Voyager of the Seas.  There is definitely a charge (approximately $17) for a SECOND lobster.

For the uncharge, I suppose it is wishful thinking that the second lobster would the cold water (Maine lobster) type.

• Haha 1