Shore Excursions…so disappointed!

We are on Splendor. I am some mobility issues. I can walk, but not too far and can do some steps. . So I visit the Shore Excursions desk the day I board to work out all our tours. We were aboard six weeks ago, as well. We worked out our excursions with Joanne..Excursions Manager. That trip was mostly successful. 
this sailing…not so much. Finally met with Joanne yesterday. Today was St. Barts. A young man..Gersson was at the pier. I spoke with him before. He has no patience with anyone who has issues. He was also with us last sailing. Same problem. . We had booked a boat to sail around St. Barts. We tendered to the island. He advised us to just wait. Then everyone boarded the boat. Some woman then told us they would not let me board. It looked like every seat was now taken. BTW.. she kept my tickets so they will be paid. Now.. I was advised to return by tender to the ship. So much for our visit to St.. Barts. So disappointing!
One would think that Regent would try to arrange for folks like us to take tours. They are “included” for everyone except those with some mobility issues. 
Everyone knows that I am a cheerleader for Regent, having sailed with them since 1992 on Raddison Diamond. Perhaps, it’s time for a new direction. 
sheila

I'm sorry, Sheila.  I, too, have mobility issues, and I have noticed that the trend with excursions seems to be to exclude people like us from the get-go.  I have been trying to book excursions on Regent as well as other cruise lines, and am noting that there are more and more excursions that say they are not recommended for wheelchair users and people with mobility impairments.  This includes excursions that I took prior to Covid without issue.  I really don't know what is going on, but it is both frustrating and disheartening. Last fall, when my DH and I took our first Mediterranean/TA cruise (something that we had dreamed about for a long time), we ended up having to do HOHO bus tours in many of the ports, because  we found that many of the excursions simply would not accommodate folks with mobility issues.  In fact, even the private excursions wouldn't do it (we had set up one private excursion a year in advance, giving them all of the information about my wheelchair, they were incredibly accommodating, only to have them contact us a few days before the cruise and let us know that they were suddenly unable to accommodate people with mobility impairments -- they refunded my money but not my husband's, since he could have gone, just was not willing to go without me).  It's all become terribly frustrating.

• Like 1

The rumblings about Regent excursions keeps getting louder and louder and I hope that Regent looks at this area and improves upon it. To place the entire blame on the tour providers is a cop out. Regent needs to take part of the blame and understand that for many of us, the destination is as important as any on ship service or accommodation. I for one won’t make Regent my top choice if I find that the excursions aren’t to my satisfaction. We are paying for this service although it is advertised as being “free”. Since we tend to travel with other couples, it is easy to justify private tours and be at a reasonable cost per tour per person. 

• Like 3

I also don't get around as well as I once did so can understand your frustration.  I learned a lot on our last world cruise and one very important thing was from a fellow passenger.  He told me the key to enjoying such a trip is " accurate self evaluation".   He is very right.  Comes a time when you have to accept you cannot do what you did 10 or so years ago.  Ships don't have to accommodate every single problem a passenger might have and the others on an excursion don't deserve to have their outing slowed by someone trying to do more than they are now capable of.  I know that might not be a politically correct thought but there comes a time for all of us.

• Like 16

Whilst I know they are not the same and there are a smaller number of passengers, on the river cruises we have done it was really good to see that the tours always had a slow walkers group which meant those of us that wanted to walk quickly could and those who needed to go more slowly did not feel they were an inconvenience and could enjoy the same tour at a slower pace.

I agree with Jim that at some point people have to accept their limitations but considering the demographic on Regent ships and the price people pay, making a proportion of the tours accessible should not be outside the bounds of possibility.

With regards to Sheila's boat trip, surely if she could get on the tender (and there can be quite a swell around St Bart's) then with a little support she should have been able to get on the tour boat.

• Like 8

So sorry to hear this Sheila.  Sure all of us have to accept the limitations that aging brings but this is entirely Regents fault.  Many of Regents clients (loyal clients) have mobility issues and they should have a  well managed structured approach to excursions and people with mobility issues.   Sending Sheila to the boat and then rejecting her was incredibly mean and poor management. 

I don't personally know Sheila but from this forum she has impressed me as a very decent, good and fair person.  Regent should be ashamed.  This is not treatment she deserved.

My advice to you Sheila is to not let this ruin your vacation.   Unfortunately in life we have to deal with jerks, don't let them impact your vacation and have fun  Have a drink (or two) for me. 🍾🍷🍸🍹

Edited by RetiredandTravel
  • Like 11

3 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

I also don't get around as well as I once did so can understand your frustration.  I learned a lot on our last world cruise and one very important thing was from a fellow passenger.  He told me the key to enjoying such a trip is " accurate self evaluation".   He is very right.  Comes a time when you have to accept you cannot do what you did 10 or so years ago.  Ships don't have to accommodate every single problem a passenger might have and the others on an excursion don't deserve to have their outing slowed by someone trying to do more than they are now capable of.  I know that might not be a politically correct thought but there comes a time for all of us.

Thanks for your opinion…except this wasn’t the issue…

43 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

So sorry to hear this Sheila.  Sure all of us have to accept the limitations that aging brings but this is entirely Regents fault.  Many of Regents clients (loyal clients) have mobility issues and they should have a  well managed structured approach to excursions and people with mobility issues.   Sending Sheila to the boat and then rejecting her was incredibly mean and poor management. 

I don't personally know Sheila but from this forum she has impressed me as a very decent, good and fair person.  Regent should be ashamed.  This is not treatment she deserved.

My advice to you Sheila is to not let this ruin your vacation.   Unfortunately in life we have to deal with jerks, don't let them impact your vacation and have fun  Have a drink (or two) for me. 🍾🍷🍸🍹

Thanks so much…your opinion is important to me. You made me feel better. 
sheila

Just now, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Thanks for your opinion…except this wasn’t the issue…

I agree with your issue.  Mixing fit and mobility impaired on the same excursions is a recipe for disappointment by  someone.  I also think they should have good excursions for the disabled or just plain creaky.  Many years I avoided walking tours for this reason that they naturally move at the speed  of the slowest.  Now with a few fake parts they sort of suit me.  They should not have let you go on the excursion if they knew you would be refused at the boat.  I fully agree someone dropped more than one ball.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Thanks so much…your opinion is important to me. You made me feel better. 
sheila

I do not mean to extend this discussion…however… this is what happened…

I met with Joanne the day before to review my remaining tours. I do not slow anyone down. 
St. Barts….. I was to board the catamaran..five steps. Which I can do..

stay on the boat until we return. Then, disembark same steps and board the tender, located directly next to the boat. 
easy..peasy. 
I was told to wait until everyone boarded the catamaran by Gersson from Shore Excursions. . I did. I was then told the captain rejected my boarding. Problem was… he couldn’t see me where I was sitting. He had no idea who I was or what my capacity was. There were some who boarded with canes. The woman who collected my ticket never told me there would be a problem. Gersson,from shore excursions, would not pay any attention to me or my issue. After, he just said to get back on the tender. I was left in tears and returned to the ship….

I know I should just let go,but, I have never been so insulted or hurt. Shame on the Regent folks. Time to seek other options….

sheila

• Like 7

I would like to thank everyone who have shown understanding of mobility challenged travelers on Regent ships.  I also apologize if you were ever impacted negatively while someone was doing their best to keep things moving.   

My wife is slow but capable.  I stay close to her constantly to assist her as much as I can.  She is usually on the pier trying to get aboard the tour buses and settled before everyone comes down - and stays aboard until everyone else is disembarked.   Fortunately, I'm still blessed with good mobility, but I am reminded daily that each day of mobility is a gift that could be taken in an instant.   

Lament not about how someone else's limitations impact you.  Find it in your heart to thank 'Him' for your freedom and assist as you can - or need to.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

I met with Joanne the day before to review my remaining tours. I do not slow anyone down. 

stay on the boat until we return. Then, disembark same steps and board the tender, located directly next to the boat. 
easy..peasy. 
I was told to wait until everyone boarded the catamaran by Gersson from Shore Excursions. . I did. I was then told the captain rejected my boarding. Problem was… he couldn’t see me where I was sitting. He had no idea who I was or what my capacity was. There were some who boarded with canes. The woman who collected my ticket never told me there would be a problem. Gersson,from shore excursions, would not pay any attention to me or my issue. After, he just said to get back on the tender. I was left in tears and returned to the ship….

I know I should just let go,but, I have never been so insulted or hurt. Shame on the Regent folks. Time to seek other options….

sheila

Regent (and NCL) need to see that the way they are treating their guests with mobility issues reflects incredibly badly on the company.  No one should be humiliated, insulted, and hurt when trying to enjoy one of the perks of their vacation.  

6 minutes ago, daetchief said:

I would like to thank everyone who have shown understanding of mobility challenged travelers on Regent ships.  I also apologize if you were ever impacted negatively while someone was doing their best to keep things moving.   

My wife is slow but capable.  I stay close to her constantly to assist her as much as I can.  She is usually on the pier trying to get aboard the tour buses and settled before everyone comes down - and stays aboard until everyone else is disembarked.   Fortunately, I'm still blessed with good mobility, but I am reminded daily that each day of mobility is a gift that could be taken in an instant.   

Lament not about how someone else's limitations impact you.  Find it in your heart to thank 'Him' for your freedom and assist as you can - or need to.

This.  I am not sure where this will all end. I realize that there are some people who are made uncomfortable by the mere presence of folks with disabilities, and I am always reminded of that scene in the Tom Hanks movie, "Philadelphia," where the librarian asks Hanks, "Would you be more comfortable in a private reading room?" and Hanks responds, "No.  Would you be more comfortable if I went to a private reading room?"  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We were on an excursion having to board and unload the bus several times during the excursion. There was a man with a walker on this excursion. He fell outside the bus. I rushed over to help the driver get him up. To be honest he had no business on this excursion. Not surprised he fell as the ground was very rocky and uneven.

Luckily he wasn’t hurt. I’ve seen too many passengers struggle to get on and offer the tenders. Talk about scary. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, mrstanley said:

Luckily he wasn’t hurt...

I empathize and agree with you.  All the compassion in the world won't substitute for knowing one's limitations - and never go it alone - always have a spotter.    But, never say die! 

I once took an elderly friend <back> to the golf course because he wished he could play once more.  I said "We'll go!  It doesn't matter if you complete the round or not; what's the worst thing that could happen?" He said "He could Die!"; to which I agreed with him but told him "You would die on a Golf Course..."   He smiled...  He played 5 holes - rode the last 4 holes out on the cart...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Wow, that's some nice victim blaming right there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

easy..peasy. 

sheila

I wouldn't let this go.  Sounds like the destinations service staff messed this up badly and took no action at the time to fix things on the spot so you could board the excursion.  Also, I gather there was no apology.  I would expect a major apology from Regent and an effort from management to engage the destination services staff in some training so this kind of experience does't happen to others.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, daetchief said:

Thank you…my husband help me always in boarding buses. I have usually remain on the bus until tour is over. I never hold anyone up. 
sheila

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ysolde said:

Regent (and NCL) need to see that the way they are treating their guests with mobility issues reflects incredibly badly on the company.  No one should be humiliated, insulted, and hurt when trying to enjoy one of the perks of their vacation.  

This.  I am not sure where this will all end. I realize that there are some people who are made uncomfortable by the mere presence of folks with disabilities, and I am always reminded of that scene in the Tom Hanks movie, "Philadelphia," where the librarian asks Hanks, "Would you be more comfortable in a private reading room?" and Hanks responds, "No.  Would you be more comfortable if I went to a private reading room?"  

Thank you for your kind words!

Sheila

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers

Your treatment, both the discourtesy from Gerson as well as being denied boarding of the catamaran was outrageous.  Please make sure that either you or your husband make both Destination Services as well as the GM aware of this situation.

I do wish that Regent would increase the number of excursions for cruisers with mobility challenges.  I have cruised with my mother, who is on a walker, and we had to skip ship-provided excursions in several ports in the Mediterranean, as none were suitable.  This was pre-COVID.  I also traveled in January with my husband who was having walking issues, and it was difficult to find excursions in every port. We’re all aging.  Given Regent’s demographic, some gentler tour offerings would be appreciated.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, mrstanley said:

We were on an excursion having to board and unload the bus several times during the excursion. There was a man with a walker on this excursion. He fell outside the bus. I rushed over to help the driver get him up. To be honest he had no business on this excursion. Not surprised he fell as the ground was very rocky and uneven.

Luckily he wasn’t hurt. I’ve seen too many passengers struggle to get on and offer the tenders. Talk about scary. 

Please read my responses. After I board a bus, I remain in my seat. My husband help me on and assists me when the tour is over. I have seen folks who take risks. That’s not me….

sheila