The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday March 17th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

1 hour ago, USN59-79 said:

Interesting selection of ports today.  The Westerdam will be in Osaka on 7 and 8 April and then stop at Kobe on 12 April.  We will probably take the train to Kyoto while the ship is in Osaka.  In 1963 we honeymooned at Kyoto for a few days.  We were married in Taipei in March, but the government there didn't allow it's citizens to travel out of the country for pleasure as they were technically at war with China.  So when we were transferred back to the U.S. I took leave on the way back in Japan for our honeymoon.  We will celebrate our 60th this month when the ship is at Naha, Okinawa.

Ray

Early Happy 60th Anniversary wishes for you both!

1 hour ago, RedneckBob said:

Thanks Linda. Unfortunately I had to cancel the cruise late yesterday. Everyone have a Happy St Patrick’s Day !

That's a real shame!  I'm sorry to hear it and hope all will be well soon.🙏

43 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

When you’re born on St Patrick’s Day every birthday can be a big celebration. Ms Artemis aka Arty. She’s pretty independent and sassy but she loves her Pop Pop. She’s growing fast since these pics. ❤️

image.thumb.jpeg.45c8d7661ffd3c8ce9bd8a8d7601bf64.jpeg

What a little cutie pie!  Hope her birthday is a happy one.🎂

• Like 14

24 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Bob, Sorry I just saw this. Hope all is OK. 
Bruce

Thanks Bruce. In the many many many cruises we have taken, this is only the second cruise we have ever cancelled with both cancellation the day before the cruise for almost the same reason and ten years apart. We have been very lucky!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Early Happy 60th Anniversary wishes for you both!

That's a real shame!  I'm sorry to hear it and hope all will be well soon.🙏

What a little cutie pie!  Hope her birthday is a happy one.🎂

Thanks SLC!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, RedneckBob said:

Thanks SLC!

Happy 60th anniversary in advance Ray @USN59-79

My late mam and dad got a card from Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth on their 60th wedding anniversary.

I'm sorry you had to cancel your cruise at the last minute and won't ask why.

I had to cancel a cruise when I heard my dear mam died at home when we were leaving our hotel in Malaga to board Adventure of the seas on November 2nd 2011.

Best regards.

Graham.

Screenshot_20221224_131411.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 10

8 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Happy 60th anniversary in advance Bob.

I'm sorry you had to cancel your cruise at the last minute and won't ask why.

I had to cancel a cruise when I heard my dear mam died at home when we were leaving our hotel in Malaga to board Adventure of the seas on November 2nd 2011.

Best regards.

Graham.

Graham, that must be a very sad memory for you both when you cancelled the cruise after your dear mam's death.  My DD passed away several months before that date and my DM a few months right after that date.  I know you agree we miss them all very much.

By the way, the 60th anniversary wish was for Ray @USN59-79 and his DW.  Sometimes those quotes can cause much confusion!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Graham, that must be a very sad memory for you both having to cancel the cruise after your dear mam's death.  My DD passed away several months before that date and my DM a few months right after that date.  I know you agree we miss them all very much.

By the way, the 60th anniversary wish was for Ray @USN59-79 and his DW.  Sometimes those quotes can cause much confusion!

Thank you Sandi I have just managed to correct it in time.

My sincere condolences for your loss of DD and DM.

My dad passed 4 months after my mam after falling and hitting his head in hospital.

November 2nd 1978 was when I met Pauline.

November 2nd 2011 my mam died.

November 2nd 2018 was Pauline's mam's funeral at church and crematorium.

November 2nd has good and sad memories

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, aliaschief said:

When you’re born on St Patrick’s Day every birthday can be a big celebration. Ms Artemis aka Arty. She’s pretty independent and sassy but she loves her Pop Pop. She’s growing fast since these pics. ❤️

image.thumb.jpeg.45c8d7661ffd3c8ce9bd8a8d7601bf64.jpeg

So true.  Sadly, today was a funeral for a friend from church.  She was born St. Patrick's day in 1924 and died in November but the family decided to have her memorial service her heavenly 99th birthday.

Roy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 9

Happy St. Patrick's Day!  Many thanks to all who make this such a wonderful, especially everyone who does their "regular job" and keeps the FR& Daily running like clockwork.  What would we do without everyone!!!

It is bright, clear, and cold in Western Colorado!  Nice reprieve from the rain that we have been having, but next week promises more rain and even some snow.  Hurry up March 28 when I leave for FLL and the Rotterdam on March 29!!  I NEED some Florida Sunshine.

Well, corned beef and cabbage will have to wait till tomorrow for me.  Our bishop did NOT issues a dispensation, so it is fish for me.  Thank goodness our local Methodist is having their annual corned beef dinner tomorrow!

The last cruise that DH and I enjoyed together started in Kobe.  We flew to Osaka, and then it was the ill-fated Volendam cruise back to Alaska/Vancouver.  Totally different than what the original itinerary because of earthquake tsunami, and power plant event.  Instead of 3 ports in Japan, we got Korea and two Russian ports, and then a "bumpy" ride across the Bering Sea in 40' waves and captain said it was a Force 12 storm (which I really never knew how bad that was)!

We had a very dear friend (met at the Hale Koa in Honolulu) who spent his entire Navy career as a submariner.  What a wonderful person he was and such a special friend to my DH during hs last days.  I still see his wife every year in Hawaii in January.

Have a great evening everyone.  Think I better quit as I am turning into a gloomy Gus, after reading some of this post!

Mary Kay

Mary Kay

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Happy St. Patrick's Day!  Just finished our corned beef dinner, along with a Guinness beer!  We're not Catholic, but the Archbishop here also said you could eat meat if you wanted today.  It was chilly and windy here today, tomorrow it's supposed to be colder yet.  I'm ready for spring!  

Thanks for all of the memes, travel photos and pictures of the little leprechauns today!  Our grands were dressed in green today also!  

DH is still watching Basketball, I'm not sure how he does it!  Today he did better with his bracket!  Milwaukee is happy that Marquette won!  

Happy weekend, Karen

• Like 11

Thanks for all the congratulations on our upcoming anniversary.  I still remember that one of the requirements the Navy had if we wanted to marry was an interview with the base Chaplain.  He was a Baptist minister and looking back I suspect he wasn't happy with interracial marriages.  He kept using slang words that Sara didn't understand implying that she didn't understand much English.  He then said "You know, these marriages usually don't last very long...."  Well, we proved him wrong.

I never served on a submarine while in the Navy.  I did work for the Navy as a civilian after I retired and spent a week on a nuclear ballistic missile submarine, the USS Ohio developing training materials for some electronics courses.  Learned a lot of what the sailors have to live with on those boats.

Ray

• Like 13

Well a quick errand turned into many other errands.  It was just a day of running around and doing things that I was not planning to do.

So I am just getting back to posting now.

Tried to read today’s posts really quickly.  

Thanks to all who sent good wishes and prayers for DH.  He has some pain, but seems to be doing all right.  No broken bones.  He has a doctor’s appointment on Monday anyway so he can get checked out at that time.

We had to get a new a new rod for the shower curtain in the guest bathroom.  Then we had to put it up.

To add to the mix, we are still trying to settle DBIL’s estate after almost 1 1/2 years.  More forms to complete and send to New York.  

So that was our day.

I did not get to do anything I had planned.  

Maybe tomorrow.

@Quartzsite Cruiser thanks for your photos.

@RedneckBob sorry you had to cancel your cruise. 

Thank you all for your good wishes for DH.

Have a good evening.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 14

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

So true.  Sadly, today was a funeral for a friend from church.  She was born St. Patrick's day in 1924 and died in November but the family decided to have her memorial service her heavenly 99th birthday.

Roy

She had a long life and my condolences for your friends passing.🙏

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, USN59-79 said:

Thanks for all the congratulations on our upcoming anniversary.  I still remember that one of the requirements the Navy had if we wanted to marry was an interview with the base Chaplain.  He was a Baptist minister and looking back I suspect he wasn't happy with interracial marriages.  He kept using slang words that Sara didn't understand implying that she didn't understand much English.  He then said "You know, these marriages usually don't last very long...."  Well, we proved him wrong.

I never served on a submarine while in the Navy.  I did work for the Navy as a civilian after I retired and spent a week on a nuclear ballistic missile submarine, the USS Ohio developing training materials for some electronics courses.  Learned a lot of what the sailors have to live with on those boats.

Ray

I’m late but Happy Anniversary to both of you. Bruce

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Paul, thank you for the link.  It's an interesting article.  I bet if the family had kept off social media the state would have been none the wiser.  Nutria are also in south east Texas, and they are considered a nuisance.  When we lived in The Woodlands north of Houston, there was a family of nutria in the pond at the country club building.  

Lenda

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Paul, thank you for the link.  It's an interesting article.  I bet if the family had kept off social media the state would have been none the wiser.  Nutria are also in south east Texas, and they are considered a nuisance.  When we lived in The Woodlands north of Houston, there was a family of nutria in the pond at the country club building.  

Lenda

I remember that they are also a nuisance in western Oregon, where they were introduced for fur farming, and then released when it failed. According to an article in The Oregonian, they have "tasty flesh" and could so be a substitute for Lenten muskrat:

https://www.oregonlive.com/homesandgardens/2010/08/dont_mess_with_nutria.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I remember that they are also a nuisance in western Oregon, where they were introduced for fur farming, and then released when it failed. According to an article in The Oregonian, they have "tasty flesh" and could so be a substitute for Lenten muskrat:

https://www.oregonlive.com/homesandgardens/2010/08/dont_mess_with_nutria.html

I just finished reading a book that could be described as post apocalyptical and they were often being cooked for dinner…..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, erewhon said:

It's been a lovely sunny day for the visiting Noordam passengers today, she is just now departing from Port Chalmers.

Also a splendid sunny day in Lyttelton for the SailGp  event on the harbour.

@RedneckBob sorry that you had to cancel your cruise.

Thanks for your thoughts

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Well a quick errand turned into many other errands.  It was just a day of running around and doing things that I was not planning to do.

So I am just getting back to posting now.

Tried to read today’s posts really quickly.  

Thanks to all who sent good wishes and prayers for DH.  He has some pain, but seems to be doing all right.  No broken bones.  He has a doctor’s appointment on Monday anyway so he can get checked out at that time.

We had to get a new a new rod for the shower curtain in the guest bathroom.  Then we had to put it up.

To add to the mix, we are still trying to settle DBIL’s estate after almost 1 1/2 years.  More forms to complete and send to New York.  

So that was our day.

I did not get to do anything I had planned.  

Maybe tomorrow.

@Quartzsite Cruiser thanks for your photos.

@RedneckBob sorry you had to cancel your cruise. 

Thank you all for your good wishes for DH.

Have a good evening.

God Bless,

Terri

Thanks for your thoughts

• Like 2