Caribbean Princess with 4 year old/sleeping arrangements

rnr4thatsme

Hi there, considering bringing my daughter, her husband and their 4 year old on a cruise on the Caribbean Princess, but every room I search seems to have only twin beds as an option?  I understand a bunk drops from the ceiling for these rooms, but I don't think that will work for the 4 year old.  Do I need to search mini-suite or higher for a sofa that converts into a bed or does anyone have a suggestion?

1 minute ago, Potstech said:

The beds can be pushed together to make one large one.  Don't know if they will do that if using a third pull down bed.

Is it possible to get a cot if they do this?  Don’t really want a small child in a pull down bunk.

41 minutes ago, rnr4thatsme said:

Hi there, considering bringing my daughter, her husband and their 4 year old on a cruise on the Caribbean Princess, but every room I search seems to have only twin beds as an option?  I understand a bunk drops from the ceiling for these rooms, but I don't think that will work for the 4 year old.  Do I need to search mini-suite or higher for a sofa that converts into a bed or does anyone have a suggestion?

If it's a quad room, have one of the adults sleep on one of the top bunks, then the child can sleep on the lower. 

• Like 2

The only cabin categories with a sofa bed are mini-suites and full suites. 

On a family cruised with granddaughter #1 when she was 3 1/2. Even though they were in a mini-suite, her parents brought a blow up bed (https://a.co/d/0sWgBRz) for her because they knew she would fall off the sofa bed.  It worked great in a mini-suite but takes up too much room in a balcony cabin.

Our family will be on the Caribbean Princess this summer with granddaughter #2 who will be almost 4.  Her parents are bringing the blow up bed handed down from granddaughter #1 who, at the age of 8, we think will not be falling off the sofa bed in her parent's mini-suite.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rnr4thatsme said:

The "premium" rooms (inside (not sure if there are any), outside and balcony) all have sofas. I believe some of these make into a bed. They may also have the bunk above the sofa. And some (new) ships have sofas in all rooms.

20 minutes ago, cjpj said:

The "premium" rooms (inside (not sure if there are any), outside and balcony) all have sofas. I believe some of these make into a bed. They may also have the bunk above the sofa. And some (new) ships have sofas in all rooms.

Caribbean Princess does not have "premium" rooms.

Also,  pushing the queen bed against the wall will make it really hard for the steward to fix the bed.  

I recommend an air bed or a mini-suite.

• Like 2

For that many people, 3 adults and 1 child, I can't imagine having a cabin any smaller than a mini-suite.  You will have the couch option for the small one, and, with the correct cabin, the pullman bed that pulls down out of the ceiling.  I strongly suggest the mini-suite also because you should have enough storage space in a mini to hold the contents of everyone's luggage.  I'm not sure that a regular cabin would have sufficient storage.

Oh, I read this all wrong (more reading comprehension issues/getting too old to multitask).

If there are 3 adults and 1 child in one cabin, are you paying 4 full fares?

1.  How about getting a balcony and an interior.  Might cost less than a mini-suite for 4.

Cabin 1:  Grandmother/child (no single supplement for Grandmother)

Cabin 2:  Daughter/husband.

2.  Even getting a mini-suite and an interior will cost you less than 4 in a mini-suite.

Swap the kid out to the mini-suite once on board (sofa) and Grandmother can have the interior all to herself.

3.  Get two interiors

• Like 2

15 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Caribbean Princess does not have "premium" rooms.

Also,  pushing the queen bed against the wall will make it really hard for the steward to fix the bed.  

I recommend an air bed or a mini-suite.

Right... sorry didn't note the ship. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cjpj said:

This post has totally incorrect information. "Premium" has to do with location on the ship and has nothing to do with the interior design of the cabins.

The only cabins on the Caribbean Princess that have a sofa are mini suites and full suites. No other cabin categories has a sofa. A mini suite for 4 will have a queen bed (option to split into two twins), a sofa and an upper berth that lowers from the ceiling over the sofa and parallel to the wall. There are 32 4 person, non connecting mini suites on deck 9, 6 fwd and 26 aft. All have 9ft x 6ft uncovered balconies. There are also 12 non connecting mini suites on deck 8 aft with covered balconies. The starboard ones are above a smoking area on deck 7.

There is also the full suite option. Another option are the family suites, D105/6 on deck 9 fwd.

A balcony category cabin for 4 will have two upper berths that lower from the ceiling and two lower twin beds one under each upper berth. The upper berths are stored during the day. A few balcony category cabins may have the option of a roll-away. The roll-away will be in the open space by the desk/fridge area leaving very little space to move around. The steward will store the roll-away during the day maybe in your open closet area, maybe in the open cabin area by the balcony door, or if you are lucky in the steward's work area.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, skynight said:

This post has totally incorrect information. "Premium" has to do with location on the ship and has nothing to do with the interior design of the cabins.

The only cabins on the Caribbean Princess that have a sofa are mini suites and full suites. No other cabin categories has a sofa. A mini suite for 4 will have a queen bed (option to split into two twins), a sofa and an upper berth that lowers from the ceiling over the sofa and parallel to the wall. There are 32 4 person, non connecting mini suites on deck 9, 6 fwd and 26 aft. All have 9ft x 6ft uncovered balconies. There are also 12 non connecting mini suites on deck 8 aft with covered balconies. The starboard ones are above a smoking area on deck 7.

There is also the full suite option. Another option are the family suites, D105/6 on deck 9 fwd.

A balcony category cabin for 4 will have two upper berths that lower from the ceiling and two lower twin beds one under each upper berth. The upper berths are stored during the day. A few balcony category cabins may have the option of a roll-away. The roll-away will be in the open space by the desk/fridge area leaving very little space to move around. The steward will store the roll-away during the day maybe in your open closet area, maybe in the open cabin area by the balcony door, or if you are lucky in the steward's work area.  

Ah yeah! Already said I didn't notice the ship and maybe my terminology was wrong, but.permium or Deluxe or whatever they call it on the newer ships have a sofa.

Thank you for the clarification.

Window Suites are nice but there are several issues:

1.  They are usually sold out as soon as the voyage opens.

2.  If you can still see availability, usually F301 (smallest/but still better than nothing).

3.  Window Suites costs about the same as a Club Class Mini without a balcony.

4.  If they book a WS, they will receive Suite perks, including Club Class dining.  If you want to dine with them, then you would also need to be in a CC mini or a Full Suite.

5.  Window Suites and Family Suites almost always have to be called in to "see" which cabins are available.  I don't understand why they have lumped WS into this grouping.  

Option:  Look into a Family Suite.

Disadvantages:

1.  Forward on ship

2.  One queen bed balcony room/1 interior room with twins and pullmans/1 sofa sleeper.  (sleeps 8). 

Advantages:

1.  Less than a full suite fare for all

2.  Everyone gets suite perks (specialty breakfast/CC dining)

If cost is a factor, then I would go with a mini for the family and for you:  interior/balcony

I don't know much about connecting cabins.

Other things to consider:

1.  Is pre-schooler still taking naps?

2.  Small enough to fit on an inflatable travel bed? (My 3 year old granddaughter is still sleeping on her crib size mattress)

2 hours ago, rnr4thatsme said:

Sorry - it would be a total of 2 parents and a preschooler in the cabin.  My DH and I will have our own.

On 3/17/2023 at 7:00 AM, rnr4thatsme said:

I’m thinking mini suite is the way to go… or window suite would work but for some reason the website won’t let me select that to try a mock booking to get a price.

I just got off a different Princess ship and we used the drop down bed for our teen. You wouldn’t want it for a toddler. There are rails, but not to the end of the bed.

We used to travel with a toddler cot when ours was little. It’s lightweight, doesn’t take up too much room and can be stored in the closet out of the way when the child isn’t sleeping. 

7 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Thank you for the clarification.

Window Suites are nice but there are several issues:

1.  They are usually sold out as soon as the voyage opens.

2.  If you can still see availability, usually F301 (smallest/but still better than nothing).

3.  Window Suites costs about the same as a Club Class Mini without a balcony.

4.  If they book a WS, they will receive Suite perks, including Club Class dining.  If you want to dine with them, then you would also need to be in a CC mini or a Full Suite.

5.  Window Suites and Family Suites almost always have to be called in to "see" which cabins are available.  I don't understand why they have lumped WS into this grouping.  

Option:  Look into a Family Suite.

Disadvantages:

1.  Forward on ship

2.  One queen bed balcony room/1 interior room with twins and pullmans/1 sofa sleeper.  (sleeps 8). 

Advantages:

1.  Less than a full suite fare for all

2.  Everyone gets suite perks (specialty breakfast/CC dining)

If cost is a factor, then I would go with a mini for the family and for you:  interior/balcony

I don't know much about connecting cabins.

Other things to consider:

1.  Is pre-schooler still taking naps?

2.  Small enough to fit on an inflatable travel bed? (My 3 year old granddaughter is still sleeping on her crib size mattress)

Yes, I think for now a mini suite for the family of 3 especially as it includes the tub which might be better for the preschooler, and a balcony for my hubby and me would probably fit the bill the best.  As long as we are sort of close, I think that works - don’t have to necessarily connect.  

Thank you so much for your insight on the Window suites.  That’s probably why they are so hard to find on the website!

• Like 1

On the Caribbean Princess, Dolphin Deck is the only deck with Mini-suites.  There are 2 regular balcony aft cabins.  Not sure you would be able to get one of those two.

Otherwise, you would have to either take an interior or a different deck. If you choose a location near a set of stairs, then it would only be a flight up/down for you all.  I would go up to Caribe rather than down to Emerald for the balcony.

image.thumb.png.379de9269c8d8feebf1cd9ef1d169a25.png

• Like 1