NCL sends me way too much advertising via snail mail. How do I opt out?

Stockjock

41 minutes ago, carohs said:

No, I didn't stay annoyed beyond the time it took to have that thought. Dealt with it, moved on with my life. 

Doesn't seem like it since you took the time to post again....

Why not do something about it instead of complaining? NCL has a form to opt out of postal mail advertising (or any other kind), takes less time that you spend posting.

https://privacyportal.onetrust.com/webform/3b29983e-65ce-4479-a104-3fcc5cc101d0/draft/21220ffa-1666-48cf-9ad1-1833ed424e5b

5 hours ago, carohs said:

Yes, I was definitely annoyed. 

Yes, I consider it a waste time, even if it is the 10 seconds it takes to sort the mail and dump it.

No, it's not guaranteed that what you throw in the recycle bin will in fact be recycled. Do yes, it's a waste of resources.

No, I didn't give it a second thought. Only a first. "That's annoying" was my thought. End. Full stop.

No, I didn't stay annoyed beyond the time it took to have that thought. Dealt with it, moved on with my life. 

All of you acting like I can't even acknowledge an emotion I did feel even if it was a second of time, that annoyed me too 😂 

You have a right to be annoyed and post about it.

Although we haven't received any snail mail from NCL, we get tons from Viking.

It is not just one household, tens of thousands of households get this, tons of paper, mail carriers that have to carry it, fuel for the USPS trucks, fuel for the recycle trucks, it goes on and on.

Corporations need to be able to do business, provide services (cruises) and make a profit.  However we must have a way for them to advertise without such waste....

Opting out will work one customer, but it is not the answer since so few people do it.    NCL (and everyone else) should have an opt in feature for the few people who prefer snail mail advertising and leave everyone else off the list.

• Like 3

Eh, it's just one more item to toss in the trash.  But when I was naive and had only sailed on one NCL ship, I didn't know that the Free at Sea promotions were permanent sales, so it enticed me at the time and a bride-to-be (my cousin) to book a wedding in St. Thomas while utilizing the Escape for the rest of the Wedding celebrations: Bachelorette & Bachelor parties, Cocktail hour, Dinner, Speeches (The Escape has a private MDR you can book for free.  Did you know?), Dancing, etc.  It was incredible, and the cheapest wedding imaginable, and it's because we got a mail advert.  My point is, it works for some people when the timing is right. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kayjaypea42 said:

Eh, it's just one more item to toss in the trash.  But when I was naive and had only sailed on one NCL ship, I didn't know that the Free at Sea promotions were permanent sales, so it enticed me at the time and a bride-to-be (my cousin) to book a wedding in St. Thomas while utilizing the Escape for the rest of the Wedding celebrations: Bachelorette & Bachelor parties, Cocktail hour, Dinner, Speeches (The Escape has a private MDR you can book for free.  Did you know?), Dancing, etc.  It was incredible, and the cheapest wedding imaginable, and it's because we got a mail advert.  My point is, it works for some people when the timing is right. 

Yes, it does sometimes work. We are booked on the cruise we have booked for this summer on the Prima when we saw an itinerary we both fell in love with. The funny thing is we got the ad in 2021 and I know I did not realize at first the ship was still being built and the proposed cruise was for 2023, not the next year 2022. I know I thought that would be perfect for our 45th anniversary, but instead we will celebrate our 46th anniversary on a sea day. Since we have been doing extra special celebrations for our anniversaries ending in 0 or 5, I'll just pretend it is the 45th. 😉

(On our 45th anniversary, we actually attended a Willie Nelson, ZZ Top, Luke Bryan concert.)

• Like 1

I don't keep my address up to date with NCL.  My issue with NCL was they kept sending mail addressed to my ex girlfriend to my address.  We did take a cruise together, but never lived together.  They linked her to me in their system and I could not get them to stop sending her mail to my address.  So I stopped updating my address 

A few ideas:

1. Keep a recycle bin next to your mailbox, or wherever you read your mail 

2. Relocate and don't send a change of address card 

3. Next time you go on a cruise, you could try something like this:  

You're welcome. 

Edited by zzdoug
  • Haha 2

On 3/18/2023 at 9:27 AM, PTC DAWG said:

Agree, who gives stuff like this a second thought? 

A lot of us do, as we consider the cost and labor involved with producing and mailing something that goes straight into the trash or recycle bin. Pure waste on so many levels.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zzdoug said:

A few ideas:

1. Keep a recycle bin next to your mailbox, or wherever you read your mail 

2. Relocate and don't send a change of address card 

3. Next time you go on a cruise, you could try something like this:  

You're welcome. 

Hilarious! I had forgotten about this episode.  Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, smillerholmes said:

Hilarious! I had forgotten about this episode.  Thanks for sharing!

Me, too. I'm tempted to ask for my DSC back and say "I got fed up with you not honoring my requests to stop mailing me catalogs, so I'm getting back at you this way." But that wouldn't be fair to the crewmembers. I'll just find another way, hehe...

On 3/17/2023 at 3:40 PM, Stockjock said:

Seems like I get a fat brochure weekly from NCL and I'd like to opt out.  I do see how to unsubscribe from their e-mail messages, which aren't a big deal, but I cannot see how to opt out from advertising that I receive in the mail.

Anyone know how to do this?

there are two really cool devices that can help you with this.  One is called a trash can the other is a recycle bin.  Take your pick.

• Like 2

WOW!!! I finally agree with mocruisefan on something.

i fail too see what the big deal is, and why the issue of ncl brochures is the subject of so much discussion. if you dont want the brochure simply throw it out. there are days when i receive nothing but junk mail. guess what? it goes straight to the garbage.

14 hours ago, sunkey1 said:

A lot of us do, as we consider the cost and labor involved with producing and mailing something that goes straight into the trash or recycle bin. Pure waste on so many levels.

The production and delivery of the brochures provide people with jobs. Not a total waste. Some of our cruise fare goes toward paying the people to make a living. Extra "junk" mail isn't so bad. I also know quite a few current and former postal workers who cruise. So it all goes around.

Edited by Cruising Lynne

14 hours ago, sunkey1 said:

Jobs…folks like jobs. 

9 minutes ago, Cruising Lynne said:

The production and delivery of the brochures provide people with jobs. Not a total waste. Some of our cruise fare goes toward paying the people to make a living. Extra "junk" mail isn't so bad. I also know quite a few current and former postal workers who cruise. So it all goes around.

Beat me to it..  🙂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cruising Lynne said:

And it helps subsidize the postal service.

29 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

And it helps subsidize the postal service.

Correct, take away "junk" mail and see what a first class stamp would cost.  I still occasionally mail out cards, etc...

• Like 1

According to Travel Weekly: https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/NCLH-reducing-marketing-spend . Hoping that includes reducing mailings.

I usually do look through them and one that came a few weeks ago featured the Escape which is my next cruise, so I cut out the picture and taped it to my monitor at work!

Edited by prov2727
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Correct, take away "junk" mail and see what a first class stamp would cost.  I still occasionally mail out cards, etc...

DW actually sends out lots of cards as she is the "minister of the cards" at her Church sending birthday cards, get well cards, condolence cards, etc. 

9 hours ago, prov2727 said:

According to Travel Weekly: https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/NCLH-reducing-marketing-spend . Hoping that includes reducing mailings.

I usually do look through them and one that came a few weeks ago featured the Escape which is my next cruise, so I cut out the picture and taped it to my monitor at work!

This is what I do. Look for my cruise and itinerary and make a countdown in my office for it. We'll see what happens when they reduce their marketing. Maybe less mail?