Cruising and my iphone?

Clampram

OK...I need help.

I generally shut my phone off and lock it in the safe for the entire cruise. But, I have a couple of question.

I can leave my phone in airplane mode and take pix on the ship with out issues (fees)  right?

When we are at sea, if I had an emergency I would have to purchase another device hook up ( I purchased one for my laptop) to make a phone call in case of an emergency at home.

When we are in port (Hawaii) I can take my phone ashore and use it like normal since it's USA?? Right? Want to use it for uber in Hawaii ports .....and will have to trun airplane mode off

Thanks for your help!! I don't have a 12 year old at home to teach me!!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Clampram said:

OK...I need help.

I generally shut my phone off and lock it in the safe for the entire cruise. But, I have a couple of question.

I can leave my phone in airplane mode and take pix on the ship with out issues (fees)  right?

When we are at sea, if I had an emergency I would have to purchase another device hook up ( I purchased one for my laptop) to make a phone call in case of an emergency at home.

When we are in port (Hawaii) I can take my phone ashore and use it like normal since it's USA?? Right? Want to use it for uber in Hawaii ports .....and will have to trun airplane mode off

you purchased one device at a time ... could be unlimited different devices.  Just have to sign off one and log into the other ... maybe if you were on your laptop and tried to get on your phone, it would automagically log off the laptop ... I dunno, but others have posted

Please look at this thread:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2896496-internet-unlimited-but-unusable-is-this-unique/

You can log into one device at a time, as described above.  Whether you can actually connect to the internet is another matter entirely! 

There is a phone connection available, and if it were an emergency, that may be worth the cost. 

Put your phone into airplane mode and then re-enable WiFi. You will be good to go. No fees other than if you pay for an Internet package. If you "need" to make a phone call give WiFi calling a try.

• Like 2

Looks like you are looking for information for a Hawaii cruise.  Do you have an iPhone or Android?  I can only make comments for an iPhone.

1.  Place iPhone on airplane mode while on the ship.

While in any Hawaii port, you can turn your phone back on and use the same as if you were in the Continental US.  

2.  Turn on wi-fi calling.  You will be able to make calls while on the ship.  I don't know about receiving calls (never have).  

3.  iMessage on iphone will work if you have an INTERnet package.  You can either log off the computer or it will automatically ask you if you want to switch devices.  Pain in the okole, but you can survive with one device package.  

And funny you should mention a 12 year old.  I was on facetime with my 7 year old grandson just a few minutes ago.  He was walking me through several "issues" I was having by screen sharing.  Last night I was chatting with his father who was "fixing" things for me.  He is the one that suggested I talk to "the kid" to get more help.  2 engineers and a tech savvy kid. Nice to have my own tech support team.  

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Clampram said:

We just returned from a Hawaiian cruise in January (different cruise line though).  We used our phones normally the entire time while in the islands.  It's still USA so there's no problem there 🙂  We had cell service even in the evenings sailing between islands.  

Edited by Paula_MacFan

54 minutes ago, Clampram said:

OK...I need help.

1) Yes you can leave your phone in airplane mode and take as many photos as you like without incurring any charges

2) If you leave it in airplane mode but turn WiFi on and connect to the ships WiFi you can (should be able to) make phone calls over WiFi vs cellular. This assumes you disconnect your laptop to free up your one connection at a time

3) Yes while in port in Hawaii you can turn off airplane mode and use your phone as normal just as you would in the “lower 48” assuming your calling plan doesn’t have some odd restrictions. I haven’t seen such restrictions since the 90’s when anything outside you home area was considered roaming. Don’t forget to turn airplane mode back on before leaving port 

11 minutes ago, Clampram said:

These answers are very helpful!

Can I use the Medallion App on my iphone while it is in airplane mode?

Yes. In fact after in airplane mode you will use the medallion net for wifi and stay in airplane mode 

OK...why would you want to use the medallion app on your smartphone while cruising:

• to order food or drinks
  • to contact your fellow cruisers
  • to arrange dining
  • to view activities
  • to link to your kid
  • to look at your bill

Am I missing anything??

44 minutes ago, Clampram said:

OK...why would you want to use the medallion app on your smartphone while cruising:

• to order food or drinks
  • to contact your fellow cruisers
  • to arrange dining
  • to view activities
  • to link to your kid
  • to look at your bill

Am I missing anything??

• to locate fellow cruisers (with their permission)

• to crew chat rather than go up to Customer Service Desk

• to view activities in Journey View although Ocean Concierge is a better platform for viewing patter.  IT DOES NOT Reserve you a space anywhere.

• to gamble (although I wouldn't do this)

19 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

• to view activities in Journey View although Ocean Concierge is a better platform for viewing patter.  IT DOES NOT Reserve you a space anywhere.

Can't you do all that using INTRANET (not internet)?

3 minutes ago, Senga said:

Yes.  You do not need to purchase a wifi package (internet access) to do all of this.  The Medallion app will connect to the ship's internal system (intranet) and you are good to go for no additional charge.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Senga said:

20 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Yes, All of the things I mentioned uses the Medallion app on your phone or tablet …that works through the ships INTRAnet.  I was just adding more functions  that @Clampram missed.