You still need to be fully vaccinated on Celebrity transoceanic cruises

Ken the cruiser

I just saw this highlighted statement on the Celebrity website which I hadn't seen before. We're fully vaccinated and boosted, but I thought Celebrity had stopped requiring folks to be vaccinated. I guess not, at least on their transoceanic cruises (as well as those cruises with Australia and/or New Zealand ports of call). They even now highlight a phone number to call if someone is unvaccinated and planning to go on one of their transoceanic cruises. So I guess on some of their longer cruises, everyone still needs to be fully vaccinated.

Vaccines

In order to sail on a Transatlantic, Transpacific, or Transocean crossing with us, we will require all guests ages 12 and older to be fully vaccinated. 

If you are currently booked on a Transatlantic, Transpacific, or Transocean cruise sailing and are unvaccinated, please contact Celebrity Cruises at 1-844-418-6824 in North America or (316) 554-5961 worldwide.     

COVID-19 booster vaccine shots are not currently required to sail but are highly recommended to ensure a smoother vacation experience.  

Transatlantic Travel Requirements (celebritycruises.com)

6 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

?what is their other “transoceanic” cruises? Indian Ocean? What about Arctic and Antarctica?

Great question.  Would a Panama Canal crossing be considered transoceanic as it goes from Atlantic to Pacific or Pacific to Atlantic? 

13 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

?what is their other “transoceanic” cruises? Indian Ocean? What about Arctic and Antarctica?

Galapagos Itineraries

Australia New Zealand Itineraries

Transatlantic/Transpacific Crossings

Select Caribbean Itineraries (those visiting Turks & Caicos)

Select Central and South America Itineraries (those visiting Colombia, Brazil, and Chile)

Edited by Charles4515
  • Thanks 1

This isn't new this was the case for the fall TA's. The concern is the long number of days at sea with no port close.  Panama Canal is not considered a transocean  as it only takes a day to get from 1 to the other and there is land near.

I believe the Australia  New Zealand  requirement may be a country requirement.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Galapagos Itineraries

Australia New Zealand Itineraries

Transatlantic/Transpacific Crossings

Select Caribbean Itineraries (those visiting Turks & Caicos)

Select Central and South America Itineraries (those visiting Colombia, Brazil, and Chile)

Except for transatlantic and transpacific, I think those are all specific country requirements and still begs the question of what the heck is the other ocean they cross?! 
I just think it’s another example of Celebrity making things more complex than they need to be in their website info or not editing/updating the website, just adding to what is there.

No real difference to me, I am vaccinated and boosted 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jelayne said:

This isn't new this was the case for the fall TA's. The concern is the long number of days at sea with no port close.  Panama Canal is not considered a transocean  as it only takes a day to get from 1 to the other and there is land near.

I believe the Australia  New Zealand  requirement may be a country requirement.

Agree about Panama Canal except most (all??) of them stop in Columbia. 

8 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Old news , it hasn’t change in 2023 

Was this statement there as well? I've been looking at this section periodically for the last few months, as were going on a transpacific cruise from Sydney in April, and I don't remember seeing this statement in bold.

If you are currently booked on a Transatlantic, Transpacific, or Transocean cruise sailing and are unvaccinated, please contact Celebrity Cruises at 1-844-418-6824 in North America or (316) 554-5961 worldwide. 

8 minutes ago, natshala said:

Is “fully vaccinated “ defined anywhere? If one got shots when available in 2020, are they still considered fully vaccinated? Did they need to have boosters? When?

Here’s what’s list at the link I initially provided.

Guests are considered fully vaccinated against COVID-19 if 2 weeks have passed since their second dose in a 2-dose series (such as Pfizer or Moderna vaccines); or, 2 weeks after a one dose series such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine. 

Vaccines approved and accepted by the TGA (Therapeutic Goods Administration) will be considered valid. 

Guests with a mixed series of any two of the following vaccines taken within a minimum of 28 days between doses, will also be considered fully vaccinated:

• Pfizer/Cominarty
  • Moderna/Spikevax 
  • Johnson & Johnson/Janssen
  • AstraZeneca/Covishield/Vaxzevria
  • Sinovac/Coronavac
  • Sinopharm/BBIBP-CorV
  • Covaxin
  • Nuvaxovid 

Any guest who has received one dose of a vaccine (other than Johnson & Johnson/Janssen) will not be considered fully vaccinated.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Was this statement there as well? I've been looking at this section periodically for the last few months, as were going on a transpacific cruise from Sydney in April, and I don't remember seeing this statement in bold.

I am sorry , you are correct that is new 

• Like 1

We were recently on an NCL cruise this past fall where there were passengers from 39 different countries. I’m not saying there are that many on a Celebrity transoceanic cruise, but I’m sure there might be some from an average of 10-20+ different countries. It may be a little hard for Celebrity to define what is up-to-date for each one of them.

My unofficial guess from over in the peanut gallery is Celebrity is hoping most folks that took the time to get their initial set of vaccines have at least tried to stay somewhat current with the boosters. But at the same time they’re also making everyone take at the minimum a self-administered antigen test prior to embarkation. So there is that additional level of prevention in place.

I have to say since cruising started back up, Celebrity has definitely been one of the more strict cruise lines that we’ve sailed with when it comes to protecting their passengers against the spread of C19.

2 hours ago, natshala said:

Is “fully vaccinated “ defined anywhere? If one got shots when available in 2020, are they still considered fully vaccinated? Did they need to have boosters? When?

As long as you had the Two shots series or 1 Shot J&J you are fully vaccinated.   Boosters are recommend but not required.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I just saw this highlighted statement on the Celebrity website which I hadn't seen before. We're fully vaccinated and boosted, but I thought Celebrity had stopped requiring folks to be vaccinated. I guess not, at least on their transoceanic cruises (as well as those cruises with Australia and/or New Zealand ports of call). They even now highlight a phone number to call if someone is unvaccinated and planning to go on one of their transoceanic cruises. So I guess on some of their longer cruises, everyone still needs to be fully vaccinated.

Vaccines

In order to sail on a Transatlantic, Transpacific, or Transocean crossing with us, we will require all guests ages 12 and older to be fully vaccinated. 

COVID-19 booster vaccine shots are not currently required to sail but are highly recommended to ensure a smoother vacation experience.  

Transatlantic Travel Requirements (celebritycruises.com)

Hey Ken you just snuck in another "vaccine" thread!

• Haha 6

4 minutes ago, sandbug2 said:

Did anyone notice a requirement to have a negative covid test within two days of sailing on a Transatlantic?

Here are the applicable cruises listed on the Celebrity website on the link I originally provided.

The below applies to the following sailings: 
April 13th, 2023 Celebrity Infinity 13 Night Canaries & Portugal sailing out of Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
April 17th, 2023 Celebrity Edge 14 Night Bermuda, Portugal & Spain sailing out of Fort Lauderdale, Florida
April 17th, 2023 Celebrity Constellation 15 Night Portugal & Spain sailing out of Tampa, Florida
April 20th, 2023 Celebrity Silhouette 13 Night Bermuda & France sailing out of Miami, Florida
April 22nd, 2023 Celebrity Apex 15 Night Western Europe sailing out of Fort Lauderdale, Florida
April 22nd, 2023 Celebrity Eclipse 18 Night Tahiti, New Zealand & Hawaii sailing out of Sydney, Australia*
April 23rd, 2023 Celebrity Beyond 14 Night Spain, France & Italy sailing out of Fort Lauderdale, Florida
April 23rd, 2023 Celebrity Reflection 13 Night Spain & Bermuda sailing out of Fort Lauderdale, Florida 
May 9th, 2023 Celebrity Eclipse 12 Night Hawaii Cruise sailing from Honolulu, Hawaii to Vancouver, Canada 

15 minutes ago, sandbug2 said:

Did anyone notice a requirement to have a negative covid test within two days of sailing on a Transatlantic?

That has been there for over 1 year.  The difference today is it can be a self test.

That part was made clearer recently.  Proof either a dated photograph or the actual.negative test hopefully in a plastic bag.

Trying to reduce cases with multiple sea days makes sense.

Celebrity has made the requirement clear and simple

Edited by Arizona Wildcat
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, sandbug2 said:

Thanks Ken- we are on the Reflection but not until October- so who knows what the rules will be then!!

That’s for sure! We’re on both Eclipse cruises listed in April and May. And they just added the Hawaii to Vancouver leg a couple of weeks go. 😂

Edited by Ken the cruiser

On 3/20/2023 at 5:18 PM, cangelmd said:

There used to be those cruises that repositioned between Asia and Europe that visited destinations like India and areas in the Middle East. Maybe those would fall in that category? Not sure if any of those have come back since Covid?