Is it Safe to Sail Out of Miami?

BirdTravels

When is your cruise?  There are two times of the year you don't want to be on Miami Beach, Spring Break and Memorial Day weekend.  If you are coming during that time, stay in downtown preferably Brickell.     

Edited by Liljo22

It isn't just Miami Beach....

Remember, when visiting in Florida and driving a vehicle, to assume that the person in the car next to you may have a gun which may be used if they get po'ed.

Just let the idiot cut in, flip the bird or whatever their inadequacies demand for their self image.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

If anyone thinks it isn't safe to sail out of Miami...google the per capita murder rates of countries in the Caribbean sometime, you'll never sail there.

Stay home, you're much safer on your couch.

I’m constantly amazed how anyone dares to live in the United States when it’s only 55 miles from Russia.

• Haha 11

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

This crap happens every year.  No matter how much the city tries to curb alcohol sales or emplace curfews, these cold blooded murders continue to happen.   Miami Beach can be a dangerous place for tourists.  The city used to be able to hide the robberies of tourists but then it got too much to hide.  During Spring Break, I would NEVER suggest anyone go to Miami Beach.  Not so much because of crime but because of the insane crowds.  Stay downtown.  
I used to live on Miami Beach.  It was a wonderful place to live and visit.  The city started to embrace spring break, urban beach weekend, Bad Boys films, etc.  It just was a magnet for an extreme party atmosphere.  Now it seems impossible to put the genie back in the bottle.  Miami Beach will soon burn itself out.  Gone are the locals, the local markets, and businesses.  Now everything caters to a different party goer who is only there to pay big bucks for hotels and club experiences. 

I thought they planned to shut the city down at midnight after all the problems last year nevermind this year

14 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

It isn't just Miami Beach....

Remember, when visiting in Florida and driving a vehicle, to assume that the person in the car next to you may have a gun which may be used if they get po'ed.

Just let the idiot cut in, flip the bird or whatever their inadequacies demand for their self image.

Your assessment is correct.  Although, it isn't just a Florida problem, nor just a Spring Break problem.

Watch the news for just about any major city!

🤔 :classic_sad:

12 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

I’m constantly amazed how anyone dares to live in the United States when it’s only 55 miles from Russia.

"Some people" can even see it from their backyard. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

You'll be fine.  We just sailed last week and returned when the spring break was starting.   The ATV, motorcycle hooligans make their run thru the streets near the Bayside Market area but that's about it.  Just stay away from the South Beach area where the spring break folks are.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ramja96 said:

"Some people" can even see it from their backyard. 😉

Yes, that would be Tina Fey. Not the ex Gov.

Regarding safety in off port lots.  There can be problems.  Sounds like @ramja96 has used these folks in the past.  I say so long as he doesn't drive a car on the "most wanted" theft list and doesn't leave anything inside of value that's visible he should be ok. With the price of everything everywhere all at once going up. You take savings where you can get it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

so long as he doesn't drive a car on the "most wanted" theft list and doesn't leave anything inside of value that's visible he should be ok.

My SIL was wanting us to take her 2 month old Toyota Highlander because it would be more comfortable for the 2.5 hour drive than my '18 Rav4 - I told her "ABSOLUTELY NOT"!!

12 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Shootings. Curfews. We are flying in the day before our cruise, but it doesn’t sound safe. 

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/03/19/us/miami-beach-shootings-spring-break/index.html

1 hour ago, ramja96 said:

Why? I've used this garage in the past with no issues.

Forget Miami beach, depending on how much time you have do an Everglades air boat ride or a nice drive to Key Largo

2 hours ago, mking8288 said:

YES!  I was driving past Bayside Marketplace today and saw the stage and things going up.  Every year this complicates port activity.   Take the port tunnel instead of staying downtown and going across the bridge.  This is unrelated to the original post about Miami Beach.  This is about the music festival downtown.   If you are cruising from Miami during the next few weeks, check to see what the updates are.  If you have not booked hotels, stay out west near the airport.  Downtown and the beach will be madness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Shootings. Curfews. We are flying in the day before our cruise, but it doesn’t sound safe. 

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/03/19/us/miami-beach-shootings-spring-break/index.html

If you are not out drinking and partying with the rowdy spring breakers in the overnight hours during the 2 weeks of the year that they congregate in Miami Beach, you will be fine.

Edited by Vibe

Just don't hang out on South Beach during spring break and you'll be fine. I purposely booked our room for our April 1 cruise right by the port to avoid the crowds on the beach. It's wild down there and I don't want to be part of that scene. As long as you're away from that, you won't have any problems.