Ever cruised somewhere you really looked forward to only to find a Major event taking place that might have an influence?

DarrenM

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Perhaps she was concerned that she wouldn't be able to toss her coin in the fountain and thus was not guaranteed a return to Rome. 🤣🤣

Actually, I loved visiting Trevi during that period because they had set up a walkway above the fountain basin where tourists could walk over and get closer to the sculptures than normal. (But then again, I am a frequent visitor so for me it was not a "once in a lifetime" event...

I was there once with two friends when the Trevi was dry and under some minor maintenance.  We threw coins in over our shoulders anyway, as did many others.  This was at a non-peak time of year so it wasn't hard to get close and look at the fountain detail.  My friends liked being able to do this as it was their first visit.

Rome, earlier this Spring. A big match Roma v Real Sociadad (sp?) had significantly restricted access to Trevi and the Spanish Steps. 

image.thumb.jpeg.b08cb0ed5f87ffafc459bea72cbbe818.jpeg

Several years ago the trip from the airport to our hotel in Athens was a real mess because streets were closed for the Marathon. Then, to top it off, the only streets open near the hotel were too narrow for the bus. Ended up parking the bus and getting taxis. 

Edited by CPT Trips

cruisemom42.  sorry about posting an echo of your own, but when I posted mine yours was not there.

I don't know how that happened as our posts show a time difference of an hour,but I know yours was definitely not there at the time I posted.  I wonder if the CC ""timer" is set to a specific tiime and one of us posted only a minute or so before the change, and the other a minute or so after? Will likely never know. whatever, it was accidental.

Edited by edinburgher

16 hours ago, edinburgher said:

... I wonder if the CC ""timer" is set to a specific tiime and one of us posted only a minute or so before the change, and the other a minute or so after? Will likely never know. whatever, it was accidental.

@edinburgher

In the olden days when the Cruise Critic message board used vBulletin software, a member could click on User CP or Quick Links then Edit Profile to set their Time Zone and then click the Save Changes button. They would then see all post times based on their zone. Now that the software was changed to Invision Community in October 2018, it is no longer something a member can set on their account.

I suggest you send an email to community@cruisecritic.com to ask how post times are handled now by the Invision Community software. Please send the email from your Cruise Critic email address of record and be sure to mention your Cruise Critic user name. This is so your membership can be verified, and reply sent to your Cruise Critic email address of record. If your current Cruise Critic email address of record is not correct and needs to be updated before you send your email, please see the following: How To: Update your Cruise Critic Email Address

Hope this information (and little history lesson from Memory Lane 😀) will be helpful! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat 

On 5/21/2023 at 6:18 PM, CPT Trips said:

Rome, earlier this Spring. A big match Roma v Real Sociadad (sp?) had significantly restricted access to Trevi and the Spanish Steps. 

image.thumb.jpeg.b08cb0ed5f87ffafc459bea72cbbe818.jpeg

Several years ago the trip from the airport to our hotel in Athens was a real mess because streets were closed for the Marathon. Then, to top it off, the only streets open near the hotel were too narrow for the bus. Ended up parking the bus and getting taxis. 

Yes, big events can limit your enjoyment of a city.

Other replies have said much the same about crowds attracted to big events in other ports.

But the OP's post wasn't about crowds, it was about rowdyism and violence particularly if an English football (soccer) team is one of the finalists in the European Champions Cup in Istanbul. Despite replies on this thread all reflecting concerns only about the size of crowds and local politics, he has since posted about "Football fans are a special breed", " boisterous and volatile usually mixed with way too much alcohol", and "with their reputation for violence, if its an English team, I cant say I am overjoyed at the prospect any more"

Well yes, Darren,an English team (Manchester City) will be in the Final.

And English football (soccer) fans are very happy about that.

But clearly you already think your time in Istanbul will be spoilt by "incidents of the type English football supporters are known for".

You have continued to decry English football supporters, even though your knowledge is clearly scant and decades out-of-date, and apart from ruining your anticipation of your time in Istanbul it is upsetting  that you have unfairly demonised your own countrymen. You'd best hope that your time in Istanbul isn't ruined by Ultra supporters of Inter Milan, cos then you'd really have egg on your face. 

You're not happy.

And I'm not happy.

JB 😟

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hope this information (and little history lesson from Memory Lane 😀) will be helpful! 

Host Kat, thank you for explaining  about posting time zones and the wee bit history too.

I don't think it will happen again, but a little spooky that both of we members were thinking along the same lines at around the same time a few thousand miles from each other. Have quite often seen posts only a few minutes apart but it was strange that the first post was not there one minute but there the next with a one hour time difference so it was the only thought I had to explain it.

• Thanks 1

On 5/22/2023 at 6:51 AM, edinburgher said:

cruisemom42.  sorry about posting an echo of your own, but when I posted mine yours was not there.

I don't know how that happened as our posts show a time difference of an hour,but I know yours was definitely not there at the time I posted.  I wonder if the CC ""timer" is set to a specific tiime and one of us posted only a minute or so before the change, and the other a minute or so after? Will likely never know. whatever, it was accidental.

No worries at all -- stuff happens and I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with a playful sense of humor. 😉

I too have experienced the odd post not showing up for me right away, so it does happen -- it's not just your imagination.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2023 at 12:02 PM, John Bull said:

Yes, big events can limit your enjoyment of a city.

Other replies have said much the same about crowds attracted to big events in other ports.

But the OP's post wasn't about crowds, it was about rowdyism and violence particularly if an English football (soccer) team is one of the finalists in the European Champions Cup in Istanbul. Despite replies on this thread all reflecting concerns only about the size of crowds and local politics, he has since posted about "Football fans are a special breed", " boisterous and volatile usually mixed with way too much alcohol", and "with their reputation for violence, if its an English team, I cant say I am overjoyed at the prospect any more"

Well yes, Darren,an English team (Manchester City) will be in the Final.

And English football (soccer) fans are very happy about that.

But clearly you already think your time in Istanbul will be spoilt by "incidents of the type English football supporters are known for".

You have continued to decry English football supporters, even though your knowledge is clearly scant and decades out-of-date, and apart from ruining your anticipation of your time in Istanbul it is upsetting  that you have unfairly demonised your own countrymen. You'd best hope that your time in Istanbul isn't ruined by Ultra supporters of Inter Milan, cos then you'd really have egg on your face. 

You're not happy.

And I'm not happy.

JB 😟

Lighten up Francis.

I am sure it wont spoil my enjoyment. I am delighted Manchester City are there. Even contemplated trying to get tickets. Well one. Her indoors wont go.

I have very recent experience as a footy fan, upto and incl being at a match last week. Newcastle

Hopefully it all goes off without any incidents. But I would not be the least bit surprised if it didnt.

On 3/21/2023 at 2:59 PM, DarrenM said:

Been looking forward to the overnight stay in Istanbul this June for nearly a year now.

To find out yesterday that the biggest, most huge football (Soccer) Match, in the whole of Europe is taking place the same night, in Istanbul.

This will undoubtedly mean somewhere approaching 250,000 fans from both countries, Likely to be team from Germany/Spain/England v Team from Italy.

AS well as literally thousands of media outlets there too, with cameras all over the place.

And with their reputation for violence, if its an English team, I cant say I am overjoyed at the prospect any more.

Only good thing is the stadium is approx 20km from the port and main tourist area. 

But many fans will not have tickets and will swarm the bars to watch on TV.

I wouldn't worry about 250,000 fans travelling.  The participating teams get 20,000 tickets each, and the idea that a further 100,000 from each team (Manchester City and Inter Milan) will be travelling to visit a pub, is a bit fanciful.  Certainly Man city fans won't travel like that.

If a Turkish side was playing, it might be different!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, dsrdsrdsr said:

I wouldn't worry about 250,000 fans travelling.  The participating teams get 20,000 tickets each, and the idea that a further 100,000 from each team (Manchester City and Inter Milan) will be travelling to visit a pub, is a bit fanciful.  Certainly Man city fans won't travel like that.

If a Turkish side was playing, it might be different!

I guarantee if it was Newcastle half of Tyneside would be there. Not sure about Man city fans.

I am still expecting the city to be massively more busy than normal. Inter have a huge fan base too.

Apologies if I gave then impression I was worried. I most certainly arent.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I can absolutely confirm many many thousands did travel without tickets and istanbul was bonkers.

Even our local travel guide said it was the busiest he could ever remember it.

It really is a mental city made much more bonkers by the sea of light blue and blue/black football shirts.

Our 4 hour excursion was extended to 5.5 just because the buses were going nowhere fast.

Loved it though.

2018 .... departing from London/Greenwich on Viking Ocean

IMG_0890.thumb.JPG.bc76507918f61b8a1e88364c6bd28fb8.JPG

Flew in a couple of days early to explore London - we'd never been.  Had NO idea that the days we were visiting were to see: Wimbledon, World Cup (soccer) finals <and England was still in>, largest Europe LGBT gathering to date AND Trump was about to arrive for a visit.

The place was packed silly ....it was madness .... we'd made room reservations WAY out but getting into virtually any tourist destination was HA HA.  Got on a hop-on-off and sat for an hour trying to get thru one round-about. OH - AND the temperature was RECORD HEAT ......

• Like 1

That was a mental summer in the UK.

England does go football crazy if the national team does well.

Wimbledon a bit too serene for most of us though. 

And if I remember right trump wasn't exactly welcomed with open arms so there was lots of protests.

And I should remember the heat as that doesn't happen often.

On 5/23/2023 at 12:47 PM, ldubs said:

95% of what I know about soccer I learned from Ted Lasso.   

Is the other five percent the offsides rule?😉🙄

Ironic that even without “Nate the Great,” the West Ham supporters made a mess in Prague after winning what some call “a third rate cup.”

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CPT Trips said:

Is the other five percent the offsides rule?😉🙄

Ironic that even without “Nate the Great,” the West Ham supporters made a mess in Prague after winning what some call “a third rate cup.”

No, I still don't fully understand the offsides rule.   😃

11 hours ago, Capt_BJ said:

yes .... I realize it was a once in a hundred years alignment of the planets .... but I'd also say it left us with little desire to return to London ..... we LOVED Greenwich tho!!

100_0191.thumb.JPG.24cfa5badb512cded253196ee31b4827.JPG

100_0185.thumb.JPG.b285df236e7041aa7340bed3ca673bde.JPG

100_0187.thumb.JPG.3c8b8726a3c49b83c9e767f08114b62e.JPG

Most UK folk have little desire to go to London. Ever.

There are many many much nicer places. Hundreds.

7 hours ago, DarrenM said:

You will never get Cricket then.

I understand only the very basics.   The only time I've watched a televised match for any length of time was in a cruise ship lounge.  I love the terminology even though I don't understand most of it.  

On 6/20/2023 at 4:52 PM, ldubs said:

I understand only the very basics.   The only time I've watched a televised match for any length of time was in a cruise ship lounge.  I love the terminology even though I don't understand most of it.  

cricket is easy to understand:

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game

Makes perfect sense even if you didn't mention a googly.   😀

15 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Makes perfect sense even if you didn't mention a googly.   😀

Easy

ls also known as a wrong ‘un, a googly is a type bowl in which the spin of the ball causes it to veer sharply to the leg side of a right-handed batsman.

or

a ball that looks like a leg-break when delivered but turns like an off-break

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, DarrenM said:

Well said. It was an excellent game yesterday in The Ashes. My husband enjoyed watching it.

• Like 1