gift bag ideas, crew appreciation

FrankieJayIII

12 hours ago, FrankieJayIII said:

i have read a few people on here make up "care packages" little token gift bags for their crew members on board.   the steward, maybe their waiter, a favorite entertainer, bartenders,  etc...  i've heard of nail kits, lip balm, etc. 

what are things you would put into these bags?  i would love to do this as well...  

I have gotten gift bags & put some bags of Ghirardelli chocolate inside. Lately I have refrigerator magnets of San Francisco that they can put on their stateroom wall. Just recently I went to Walgreens & they made up magnets of one of my photos of the Golden Gate Bridge. Since they didn’t cost much I always carry some & can give then out whenever I want. 

This in an addition of money that I give them. 

Here’s my photo of the bridge. 

Tom😀

image.png

Edited by trbarton
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, FrankieJayIII said:

someone got mad at me bc in another post i admitted to giving $100 for the week before my cruise started with the delivery of my robes.  i thought it to be a kind gesture and i'm being belittled for it.   

It's an internet forum. No matter what you post, *someone* will get mad about it. Don't take it personally. 😊

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, spookyfudge said:

But giving a criticism to me because I tip the crew above and beyond what the cruise line says, if you dont want to tip YOU may need the  money more for your everyday expenses rather than wasting it on a cruise! Dont knock me because I appreciate the crews work they do on the ship.

It doesn't matter if a person had $100 or a million in the bank.  Tipping should ALWAYS be based on the service received.  If you get lousy service, then give a "lousy" (or no) tip.  If you get exceptional service then give a bigger tip.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

A thing I have done lately since we are now Elite is gift any remaining mini-bar items to Stewart, along with whatever extra cash I think they deserve.

I ask them if they want our soda from the mini bar....they usually say yes, so we leave them in the cabin.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, FrankieJayIII said:

someone got mad at me bc in another post i admitted to giving $100 for the week before my cruise started with the delivery of my robes.  i thought it to be a kind gesture and i'm being belittled for it.   

Do you really care what random people on a cruise site think?  If the money was given In appreciation and it made you feel good isn’t that all that matters?  I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest that not one person here would turn down $100 no strings attached and I assume the crew member appreciated it.  If kindness is a reason for belittling others then that says a lot more about those who are angry, wouldn’t you say?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, chefchick said:

I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest that not one person here would turn down $100 no strings attached

I wouldn't disagree but are there "no string attached"? Giving $100, or any amount, is not in appreciation for services rendered but services to be rendered.

Ever heard the expression "there is no such thing as a free lunch"?

9 hours ago, trbarton said:

I have gotten gift bags & put some bags of Ghirardelli chocolate inside. Lately I have refrigerator magnets of San Francisco that they can put on their stateroom wall. Just recently I went to Walgreens & they made up magnets of one of my photos of the Golden Gate Bridge. Since they didn’t cost much I always carry some & can give then out whenever I want. 

Tom😀

image.png

Why would anyone want this as a gift ? It's not as if it is of any relevance to the crew member.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, wowzz said:

The cruise line told you ( indeed stressed)not to tip, and you still did so.

I know it is built into the American psyche to tip at the slightest opportunity, but why break the rules !

I've been missing your endless posts about tipping.

I'm glad to see you got your groove back!

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, KYTess said:

I like to give our room steward something from home so we bring a small box of Woodford Reserve Bourbon balls and cash at the end 😉

Keep in mind, that for religious reasons, many crew members cannot consume anything containing alcohol.  Your Bourbon Balls will end up being given away to someone who you never met. 

Edited by Lady Arwen
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, stoneharborlady said:

Well maybe, along with the five pair of black socks.

I suppose the magnet could be used to hang the socks up on the cabin wall. Then, every time the crew member wakes up, they will be the first things he sees, and his heart will burst with gratitude.

• Haha 6

15 hours ago, trbarton said:

Tom😀

image.png

Better yet magnets with pictures of your kids or maybe even your dog.  The crew will love that.

DON

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stoneharborlady said:

Well maybe, along with the five pair of black socks.

I feel that you are making fun of my gift, but in 7 days I developed a special relationship with my steward. We are like family, I even know his wife's name. I'm sure he will treasure my photo forever and it makes me feel good.😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

26 minutes ago, Colorado Coasty said:

I feel that you are making fun of my gift, but in 7 days I developed a special relationship with my steward. We are like family, I even know his wife's name. I'm sure he will treasure my photo forever and it makes me feel good.😉

Special relationship in 7 days ! If you say so.