The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday March 26th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Someone said it has been Three years!

Today is Live Long and Prosper Day, Make Up Your Own Holiday Day, and National Spinach Day

In a good bookroom you feel in some mysterious way that you are absorbing the wisdom contained in all the books through your skin, without even opening them.--Mark Twain

Meal Suggestion for today - Tex-Mex Chicken Strips
Drink of the Day - Strawberry Mai Tai
Wine of the Day - Miraval Rose', Cotes de Provence, France
Destination of the Day - Praia, Cape Verde

Eurodam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 08:00 - 15:00

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Departing from Vancouver, BC Canada eta 4-13 (drydock Portland OR)

Nieuw Amsterdam

Fort Lauderdale, Florida 0700-1500

Nieuw Statendam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 08:00 - 15:00

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Pisco, Puerto General San Martin, Peru eta 3-28

Rotterdam

St Thomas, US Virgin Islands 0800-1700

Volendam

Fort de France, Martinique 0600-?

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Mexico eta 3-27

Zuiderdam

Abidjan, Ivory Coast 08:00 - 17:00

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Napier, New Zealand 12:00 - 18:00

Westerdam

Yokohama, Tokyo, Japan Kanagawa 06:30 - 18:00

image.thumb.png.4af81f2bc8a2f78c6e0d8d5430611d3e.png

image.thumb.png.48f8dffb2445d6cad14a07f5429cfe55.png

Sandi for Rich and Roy

• Like 21
  • Thanks 14

Today’s care list:

Roy recovering from pneumonia and working on getting stronger

RMLincoln’s DH’s eye surgery March 28

Luvteaching’s DH with falls, UTI and dehydration

Summer slope’s friend with a brain injury

Cruisercl recovering from a viral illness

Cruzin Terri with PMR flare

RM Palmer candy plant explosion with deaths, missing and injured

Citizens of Ukraine/Tornado victims in Mississippi and Alabama

From the rotation:

Durangoscots still with fatigue

Cruising sister with uncomfortable hand splint

NextOne needing valve surgery

Bennybear’s test results

Marshhawk’s abnormal lung scan, upcoming PET scan

Celebrations and Shout outs:

3rd Anniversary of The Daily!

Thanks to richwmn, StLouis Cruisers, dfish (0106 too), rafinmd (JazzyV too), summer slope, cat shepard, and all contributors to The Daily!

Ger_77 DH awarded the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Medal

Dfish doing very well after surgery and resuming the Daily meal recipes

Many Dailyites with upcoming cruises

1 Day for USN59-79 (Westerdam 3/27 to 5/7)

3 Days for Cruzn single (Rotterdam 3/29 to 4/19)

3 Days for Vict0riann (Rotterdam 3/29 to 4/19) 

3 Days for Sailingdutchy (Rotterdam 3/29 to 4/29)

7 Days for Mister 67 (Celebrity Reflection 4/2 to 4/9)

DWAliaschief’s sisters cruise (Rotterdam to 3/29), Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to 4/6), Kplady (Grand Princess to 4/28), St Pete Cruiser (Noordam to 5/2) and Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty, Richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam to 5/12) at sea

• Like 22
  • Thanks 13

Good morning.

We are waiting for our church service to start in 7 minutes.

Thank you for starting today's daily reports Sandi @StLouisCruisers.

Happy 3rd birthday Dailyites.

Our clocks went forward 1 hour this morning.

Wishing everyone good health.

Take care.

Graham.

Screenshot_20230323_223838.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good morning friends!  It is 67F with severe thunderstorms on their way shortly and a high of only 4 degrees higher, 71.  Hopefully nothing bad will occur like wind damage, hail, leaking roof, or power outage and it will just be a heavy rainstorm.  Thanks go to Rich @richwmn for our Daily on this our 3rd anniversary apparently.  Three years ago we were in a fearful, chaotic period of time so I am thankful we are past that and the ships are back to normal routines.

Today we shall celebrate Live Long and Prosper Day, apparently referring to the Star Trek series.  I was never a fan sorry to say.  So I guess we can Make Up Your Own Holiday Day if we want to.  In addition we can salute spinach by including it in our diet somehow.  We have a nice Mark Twain quote to ponder and agree with.  Our menu suggestion is an interesting sounding Tex Mex Chicken Strips dish.  Can't wait to hear the recipe and see the photos.  Debbie @dfish is expected to return to that task today.  We also have strawberry mai tai as the drink.  Must be healthy with a nice fruit base like that.  😉  The wine today sounds lovely and I would be happy to test it for everyone.  Thanks to Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for their reports later on.  Hope the birthday party was a success for Ann's sister yesterday.  

The port of the day is a first timer, Praia, Cape Verde Islands.  I was supposed to go to that port but weather prevented it.  The previous day we had been to Mindelo, Cape Verde but Praia was not a GO.  This was on the 2018 Grand Africa and Mediterranean cruise on the Prinsendam.  We had a great time!  I can show you what the seas looked like if anyone cares to see it.  😁

I just heard some distant thunder so had better get finished here soon.  But first prayers for our Care list people and hopefully things will improve for all.  🙏  Cheers to the Celebration list.  Happy traveling and smooth cruising to all! 🥂🎉 Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for handling the lists for everyone!

There is no link of course today due to this being the first presentation of Praia.  Here is what I saw on March 24, 2018 through the window. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJVqsbw6FEHGEwgVjnEse1A?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1526125602

And this...00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK-49Ky3fEE12sMfMGSsvzU?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1526125626

There is civilization over there.  We went ahead to Banjul, The Gambia for an early arrival.

I hope everyone has a Serene Sunday!  Thanks to Graham @grapau27 for Father David's sermon and the good wishes to all of us.  The same back to you and Pauline, Graham!🎂

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Amelia woke me up early enough to watch sail in this morning. She didn’t want breakfast, she wanted my spot in bed.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good and I look forward to seeing pictures and recipes.  I’ll be making a roast beef for dinner today.  I’m a Star Trek fan. Over the past few weeks we watched the first two seasons of Picard. I’m waiting for season 3 to be fully released to watch the season.  @StLouisCruisers when I get a mango daiquiri onboard a BHB I consider it my serving of fruit for the day. 😆

The only errand planned for today is a trip to Aldi.  I hope everyone has a good Sunday.

image.png.8d5f3efb9dd7d3b01b06d76f2a707f02.png

• Like 17
  • Haha 12

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

Happy Birthday Dailyites!

Despite freezing rain and high winds yesterday, we made it through unscathed.🙂 Today should be better, with a high of 6°C (43°F) and a bit of sun.

My hubby is a Star Trek fan, I think he has watched the original series, movies, new series etc.  He is enjoying the new Picard series.   I'm not sure what holiday I would make up so I'll mull that one over.  Spinach is tasty, but not good if you have a problem with kidney stones.

I like the quote.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing recipes.

I'm sure I'd like the drink, hope the wine is good too.

Thanks in advance for pictures of today's port.

Prayers for many.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 26

Thank you for getting us started Sandi! It was “Make up Your Own Holiday” day a couple years ago that inspired the 1st Annual International Dailyites Day! I think it had actually started a bit earlier, but not sure. And a huge thanks to Rich for creating this great place!

Vanessa, thank you for keeping our lists. It is already 68, but it is still so dark I am not sure what the sky looks like. We had a brief, but strong T-storm last night.  Off to the gym, then Aldi, Bindi walks, plant hunting and definitely some pool time will round out my day. 

08C0D46C-983A-4B78-B1CC-2CDC9F457EF5.jpeg.eb17dcc3ebdf8e546a9af196f6b6a474.jpeg

8BD08A5A-E341-4EB2-AB01-32A0041913DE.jpeg.0b9cb226b7ffc4faa6eb5e2f8cdf7cc1.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Miraval Rosé 2021, Cotes de Provence, France

I would love a taste of this rosé, since I prefer dry rosés.  I used the 2021 vintage info, since that should be easy to find, but all released vintages share the same excellent ratings. Numerous online distributors with prices starting at $16.95.

Winemaker Notes

Attractive bright and translucent color, a typical Provencal pale pink. The nose immediately reveals all the elegance of this Miraval Rosé with its superb aromatic bouquet delicately combining fresh fruit, freshly cut currants, and roses seasoned with a zest of lemon. The refinement continues on the palate with an ample, rich, and gourmet texture, perfectly balanced by the natural acidity and minerality with saline and limestone notes specific to Miraval, which continue in a long finish. A typical Miraval vintage with signature flavors.
WE92 Wine Enthusiast
Now jointly owned by Brad Pitt and the Stoli Group of vodka fame, this estate is run by the Perrin family of Châteauneuf-du-Pape. This is an impressive rosé, elegant with finely balanced fruit and texture. Citrus and raspberries shine through a taut structure. The aftertaste is crisp and fresh.
TP91 Tasting Panel

Super-pale, juicy, and dry, with good acid structure.

WS90 Wine Spectator
Pure and chiseled in feel, with racy-edged white cherry, rose petal, jicama and jasmine notes backed by a lingering wet stone accent on the finish. This has length and subtleties that set it apart from the pack. Cinsault, Grenache, Rolle and Tibouren.
Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 6

It has been a wonderful 3 years.  So many new friends we worry and celebrate everyday.

Strawberry Mai Tai cocktail:

Ingredients
1 1/2 parts Cruzan® Strawberry Rum
1/2 part DeKuyper® Orange Curacao Liqueur
1 1/2 parts fresh Lime Juice
3/4 parts Simple Syrup
1/2 Finest Call Orgeat Syrup
Garnish with Pineapple Cube
Garnish with Cherries
Garnish Mint Sprig

Instructions
Add ingredients and stir gently into a mixing glass of crushed ice. Garnish with a pineapple cube and cherry speared and a mint sprig.

Screenshot 2023-03-26 at 7.01.51 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 1

Yesterday @cat shepard mentioned that today is the third anniversary of the Fleet Report / Daily. I will take her word for it. One time in the past I spent some time checking for when various segments of the daily started, and it would be at home if I could even find it. I am generally not one to think about it. I believe that today is the anniversary of when it became ‘The Daily’ as opposed to just a listing of the location of the ships titled ‘Fleet Report’. Unfortunately, the Cruise Critic history only goes back to October of 2020 so I can’t look it up again.

I really can’t take credit for the concept of the Fleet Report. Lisa ( @LAFFNVEGAS ) started one a very long time ago, and maintained it for several years. She was followed by one or two others. From what I can find, it looks like at the end of 2018 the current maintainer of the Fleet Report said that the source that was used was no longer available and the Fleet Report would end on Dec 31st. Going forward a couple of months and I found a site that had ship’s schedules for all Cruise Lines. I mentioned the site in a post thinking that someone would ‘take the ball and run with it.’ I didn’t realize that someone would be me.

From that time, around March or April of 2019, until things shut down it remained the ‘Fleet Report’ with a couple hundred views and only a few responses. The source of the ship’s location changed as I found that the original list wasn’t updated. It was pretty much an automated process after the file with the locations was created. Looking back at the files involved, it looks like I added the ‘holidays’ around the end of 2019.

When the shutdown started, I found that I was going to Marine Traffic every day and finding the location information. It became a morning routine. As time went by I added a wine, a meal, a drink, and a port (and I believe that was the order). As I added each someone pitched in to add a description of each. This thread would not be the same with each of those members.

I’m sure I will miss many people who have contributed but here goes. I think first we should give credit to Lisa (@LAFFNVEGAS ) for the original idea. Jacqui (@kazu ) for her encouragement from the start and sometimes posting when I couldn’t. Debi (@dfish), Dixie (@summer slope), and Ann (@cat shepard) for being the normal Food and Beverage Department. Roy (@rafinmd) for the cares list and Vanessa (@JazzyV) for doing it while Roy is under the weather. Tina (@0106) for taking over for Debi when she couldn’t for a while. Graham (@grapau27) for the Sunday sermon and explanations for some of the celebrations. Sandi (@StLouisCruisers) for posting while I am aboard Zuiderdam. I hope I got everyone right and I’m sorry for anyone I left out. Everyone who posts is appreciated and all are the reason the Daily continues.

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 16

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info SLC.

Happy Birthday to the thread. Very informative especially with all the thousands of pictures of ports of call, recipes, drinks and a place to tell my stupid jokes!

Let’s make todays Make your own Holiday, Don’t Eat Spinach Day !

• Like 18
  • Haha 6

Thank you Rich, Sandi, Vanessa, Ann, Debbie, and Dixie, also Graham for the inspiration from Father David.  I'll pass on the Spinach, and would prefer the chicken without the Tex-Mex.  I think Daily 3rd anniversary sounds like a good holiday, and 3 years seems like longevity and the Daily continues to prosper.  Interesting quote from Twain.  I've been to Praia as a substitute port in on MS Amsterdam when several African calls were cancelled due to ebola.  I'm planning on church in person and will see what photos I have this afternoon.

Special prayers this morning for @luvteaching.

My alternative menu suggestion is Chilled Sour Cherry Soup, Spaghetti Amatriciana, and Rhubarb Crisp as served on MS Zaandam March 26, 2017. 

dishes26.jpg

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone. My grandson, Jeremy, turns 21 today. He was born on my father’s birthday where do the years go? I’m beginning to have some blurry vision from my operated eye. 
Love all the days and today’s quote.

Stay well everyone,

Carol

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for our Sunday Daily, Sandi.

Happy Anniversary Daily-ites! (Our own holiday 😉)

I’ll gladly celebrate the other 2 days - love Spinach & Spock & Star Trek.  @Crazy For CatsPicard series is very good.  It’s set to record every week it is on 😉 I like the Mark Twain quote and the meal sounds wonderful.

8B84FC3D-8228-4B6E-9ED9-0BBC5132A91C.jpeg.44a0fd44cd384cbd5a563889973f553f.jpeg

It’s another stormy day here.  I’d like to say it’s winter’s last gasp - but no, there is more snow coming after today.  Hopefully not as much or as bad as this one is supposed to be 🤞 

8BD23E0A-6F33-4042-ABF5-900E42ED1123.jpeg.90913ac6049151f89fab53d6baea15d8.jpeg

Some of the begonias really need to be planted so I brought in the hanging baskets and will attempt to do some without making a complete mess in the house 😱 

8EBAAE2A-32FF-4BD2-B3A5-0AF1CBB27A0D.thumb.jpeg.307993892262fc103ac27306faf3eec2.jpeg

22 minutes ago, richwmn said:

I mentioned the site in a post thinking that someone would ‘take the ball and run with it.’ I didn’t realize that someone would be me.

Well, all I can say is that I am glad that YOU started it.  You were so creative with it and turned the fleet report into so much more 👍 Thank you ♥️ 

@mamaofamihappy birthday to Jeremy!

Thinking of @luvteaching’s DH and hoping things improve today 🙏🏻 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a toast 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

BF6A5999-3038-4200-BD94-C244E9BD006E.jpeg.1397092a2cc01435db22dea1ae930911.jpeg

Have a great Sunday everyone !!!!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Good morning on the Third Annual Dailyites Appreciation Day. A huge thank you to everyone involved as I very much enjoy this great place. 

@Crazy For Cats, I give you credit for being able to wait for all the Picard episodes to air. The entire family enjoys our dose of Star Trek each week and I would not be able to wait. I guarantee you will really enjoy it when you see it and will not say more!

Spinach is a favorite vegetable in this kitchen. We have not been to the port and the recipe sounds interesting.

I am thinking of  the DH of   @luvteaching this morning and hope the night went well. Sending prayers your way.

DS and family are settling in with their new puppy and send pictures. We will have to wait for an in person visit as we can’t travel with DH’s  numerous appointments and procedures in the next few weeks.

The sun is finally out here and the temps will go up to the sixties later. I doubt it will feel that warm as gusty winds are starting as well.

Enjoy the day everyone

• Like 25

Good morning, everyone!

Happy Anniversary or Birthday to the Daily!   Cheers to @richwmn Rich, who developed the concept of today's daily thread.  Many thanks to all the contributors who aided in making this such a wonderful community:  @summer slope Dixie for our drinks, @cat shepard Ann for our wine descriptions, @grapau27 for Fr. David and explanations of the daily celebrations, @rafinmd for the Care/Celebration list, @StLouisCruisers Sandi for stepping up and posting for Rich & Roy when they weren't able, @JazzyV Vanessa for stepping up and posting the Care/Celebration list when Roy was unable, @0106 Tina for stepping up and posting the daily menus while I was recovering from surgery and in the past when I was cruising, @kazu Jacqui for her witty memes each day and for leading the Garden Club, @aliaschief for his memes each morning, to start the day with humor, and to everyone else who contributes on a regular or semi regular basis.  We are family.

Today I am back in the saddle with the Meal of the Day.  This was an easy one to find and I have a couple good recipes for you.  This first one has a seasoned mixture to bread the chicken strips with and is then put in the oven.  You can dip the chicken strips in a sauce, eat them as is, or cut them up and put them on a salad.    https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/tex-mex-chicken-strips/

texmexchickenstrips1.jpg.1214ad8936b24a2038a5dae25a83b935.jpg

This next one is seasoned for Tex-Mex, but prepared like fried chicken.   https://www.dearcreatives.com/easy-tex-mex-chicken-tenders-recipe/

texmexchickenstrips3.jpg.6742350d2862b45db1c2b628d5fe28c0.jpg

I like this next one because the chicken is seasoned, but not breaded or floured.  It is cooked on the top of the stove on a grill pan or fry pan, but I'm sure I could do it on the outdoor grill.  That would add even more flavor to it.  

https://juliascuisine.com/stove-top-tex-mex-chicken-tenders/

texmexchickenstrips4.thumb.jpg.9aec15181fa71fddf042a07ba3c4b9f5.jpg

Hugs to @luvteaching.  I hope your DH's condition stabilizes soon.  You've been through so much.  

@Cruisercl I hope you are feeling better soon.  

@Cruzin Terri I'm sorry that a low dose of prednisone may be a forever thing.  I hope it helps enough to make it worth it.  

@mamaofami I hope the blurry vision clears and you continue a rapid recovery from your surgery.  

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 8

39 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. My grandson, Jeremy, turns 21 today. He was born on my father’s birthday where do the years go? I’m beginning to have some blurry vision from my operated eye. 
Love all the days and today’s quote.

Stay well everyone,

Carol

Happy birthday Jeremy.

birthday-fireworks.gif.93f1e7c6e52e2869b60c44635b2a604d.gif

• Like 11

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for getting us started Sandi! It was “Make up Your Own Holiday” day a couple years ago that inspired the 1st Annual International Dailyites Day! I think it had actually started a bit earlier, but not sure. And a huge thanks to Rich for creating this great place!

I had March 16 as the first Daily, but that could be typo. International Dailyites Day is a GREAT day to celebrate - whenever it is.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

I show the first 'Daily" actually was March 16, 2020.  The only addition at the time was the list of days.  I know it was Fleet Locations on March 18 but most days it was "The Daily AKA the Fleet Report":

Rich took out the feeler on Fleet Locations April 27, 2019 but had no takers:

His first actual Fleet report was April 28:

Other milestones in the Daily:

April 5, 2020: First Meal Suggestion and quote

June 23, 2020: First wine suggestion

July 9, 2020: My first suntise

July 10, 2020: First care list

July 27, 2020: First wine review by @cat shepard

August 5, 2020: First alternative meal

August 8: 2020 First shoutout list

September 1, 2020 First Drink AND Drink Review

I'm not sure but I think Debbie's first meal review was 12/7/21

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 14

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I show the first 'Daily" actually was March 16, 2020.  The only addition at the time was the list of days.  I know it was Fleet Locations on March 18 but most days it was "The Daily AKA the Fleet Report":

I used @cat shepard's post yesterday as the basis for my banner. Thanks for the actual date. If this thread still exists next year we will have the date correct. And thanks also for the actual dates. I tried to use the search function to verify my memory but it only went back to Oct 2020.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Thank you everyone who has posted so far today with all your positive thoughts.  A bravo to Rich @richwmn for his great informative post this morning.  And a salute to Roy @rafinmd for locating all the first posts dates.  I'm sure it wasn't easy to find them all.

I was hoping for a serene Sunday but after I posted today I went back to my bed for a little "nap".  The lightning and thunder became more continuous, then the heavy rain and HAIL began.  I wandered around watching outside and listening to what sounded like nickels being thrown at the South and West windows.  The storms come and go so we're in a thunderstorm band across Georgia.  There's a new lake out on the fairway out back.  What a day!

I'm going back to read the original Daily posts now.  Take care!

• Like 22

Good morning from a lovely and sunny Essex county! Should warm up nicely this afternoon before more rain tomorrow.  We had rain and strong winds yesterday, gusting to 100kph (60mph). One gust took down dh’s little tarp covered greenhouse. At least it stayed in the yard. 

to the Canadian dailyites - I watched the first episode of “Essex county” on cbc gem yesterday about two rival families here. While local towns were mentioned and the flat scenery was typical of this area, I noticed in the credits that it was actually filmed in north bay, many hours north of here. 

have a good day everyone. Prayers for those that need them and a celebratory shout out to those celebrating.

• Like 24