The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday March 29th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Everything seems to be going smoothly now.  Suitcases unpacked and we got a big bucket of ice from the Ocean Bar for the Sailaway wine!  Pat’s nosebleed has stopped for the time being, the Vaseline was in his suitcase and he has applied that.  He has been on antibiotics since October, so that may very well have something to do with it.  However, the surgeon wants him to stay on it, so we may just have to put up with for now.  

• Like 19

Good afternoon. I start reading and the neighbor calls me out to check on something, read more, phone call, read more and I get busy with errands. I am determined to post before the next distraction. I received word that HAL will send me a check for my damaged suitcases. Good news. I can't seem to find excursions for my next cruise, PCC says they haven't finalized the contracts yet. Amazon delivered a smashed bottle of sweet chili sauce that I found I really like while on my last cruise, and she marked it undeliverable and will send it back. I could smell it but oh well, I should get another bottle soon. 

I went kayaking Saturday and Monday but still haven't seen a manatee. I hear that they should be in our neck of the woods now, getting frisky, so I am watching the river even as I write this. I have heard so many stories about them that I can't wait to have my first sighting. I'll try again Thursday night. 

Edited by lindaler
  • Like 17

4 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Sadly there are less and less mom and pop businesses, as many are driven out of business by chain stores. I'll salute manatees. No use for smoke and mirrors. Funny quote. The meal looks ok; I have a ham in the freezer, but told BFF I'm not up to making a big dinner this Easter with all my aches and pains, plus trying to get ready for our trip. Pass on the drink and wine.

I have been to Honolulu, both on a land trip  in 1992 and a Golden Princess cruise in 2012.

It's sunny right now and we started out in the 20's. Going to the 50's, but then rain/snow later tonight as the temps drop. Today is injection day, so I won't be doing a lot. I have to premedicate with Benadryl, so I'll be sleepy this afternoon; I'd hoped the injection site reaction would fade away, but I still have to take meds for 2-3 days to avoid itchy hives at the site. 

@StLouisCruisers Thank you for starting us up today. Thanks for your Hawaii photos.

@seagarsmoker Thanks for the info about and photos of your cruise; interesting that the PS was too big.

@smitty34877 Bless your cousin for helping with DH's appointments, and I hope you can find a new aide soon.

@GTVCRUISER Nice photos.

@rafinmd I like your meal. Nice sunrise pic and Hawaii photos.

@Vict0riann Bon Voyage! I'm glad you made it to FLL. Sorry to hear about Pat's nosebleeds; I hope the stop soon. Do you know the cause? 

@RMLincoln Prayers for a good report for DH at his eye appointment today.

@ger_77 Great blankets you've made. Very nice of you to do that.

@marshhawk Wonderful news about Jesse's cancer journey! I hope antibiotics clear up the infection quickly. 

@aliaschief Thank you for reminding us it's Vietnam Veteran's Day! Prayers for all who served there. Great memes.

@cruzn single Bon Voyage! Have a great cruise.

@kazu That sunset photo is gorgeous.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Wonderful pictures.

@sailingdutchy Bon Voyage!

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to the Celebration List.

Be well everyone.

Diamond Head Crater from Waikiki Beach, 1992.

401327351_002-10.1992-DiamondHeadCraterfromWaikikiBeach.thumb.jpg.177e3d483cd279effccb911d6902598a.jpg

From the cruise in 2012, trying not to duplicate too much

The Aloha tower as we arrive (Crystal Serenity in the background)

1507188212_079-AlohaTowerHonoluluEarlyMorning1_24_12.thumb.jpg.f9a50e2df8cf9fb152c9a77cca088414.jpg

National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific, Punchbowl Crater

817877049_083-NationalMemorialCemeteryofthePacificPunchbowlCraterHonolulu.thumb.jpg.66eb80141b2e413b2b88dd0db8c028ca.jpg

Statue outside the USS Missouri

1918320264_091-StatueoutsideUSSMissouri.thumb.jpg.c9a3629e3827b072a751ba1453395172.jpg

Instrument of Surrender, signed 2Sept1945 by the Japanese on the USS Missouri, and the spot on the ship where it was signed.

1290862731_100-InstrumentofSurrenderSigned2Sept1945bytheJapanese.thumb.jpg.81a88c2623726dd27fa278685d5cdc5d.jpg

1941643037_101-MarkingtheSpotwheretheInstrumentofSurrenderwassigned.thumb.jpg.67832376af7c83be53794bed7099642c.jpg

USS Arizona Memorial

1709220847_119-USSArizonaMemorial.thumb.jpg.569bfd36349bee442b346c9582fcf5ca.jpg

Sunset in Honolulu

489529714_147-Sunset1_24_12.thumb.jpg.2d708e4db1810f251cc413196055607c.jpg

Vanessa, sorry about all the aches and pains.  Hopefully, they will be gone by the time of your cruise.

3 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

Lenda. You found me. Having shrimp at the North Shore at the picnic table under the tent 😎

RNB, you should of waved or said hello.  🤣

3 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Ugh. Active shooter threat at a local catholic high school, now deemed a hoax. But threats at 5 other schools, thought to be due to "swatting" , the practice of making a prank call to emergency services in an attempt to bring about the dispatch of a large number of armed police officers to a particular address. What is wrong with people???

Vanessa, I wish I could answer your questions, but I'm just a puzzled about what makes people do such things.

3 hours ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning from a sunny Pacific Northwest!

DH got out of the ICU yesterday and moved up a floor to the Intermediate Care Unit. He has a nice room with a view including being able to see Bellingham Bay which sparkled in the sun yesterday. His eyes were open most of the day and he was tracking but no talking or other responses. I okayed a feeding tube (temporary at this point) and an MRI to check his prostate. He was seen by the infectious disease doctor who is a British lady, very well though of by the staff, and I was quite impressed with her. 

He will be on an antibiotic for three weeks via IV, the bacteria is a nasty one called pseudomonas and is in his lungs, blood and urine. If he rallies some more and doesn't need this unit he may be moved back to our local hospital which is about 10 minutes closer and an easier drive for me and closer to family. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the prayers and caring thoughts!

Karen

Karen, I'm glad you DH was moved out of ICU, and hope he continues to improve each day.  I hope he also can be moved back to your local hospital soon.  I looked up the bacteria, and it is nasty to say the least.

45 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Everything seems to be going smoothly now.  Suitcases unpacked and we got a big bucket of ice from the Ocean Bar for the Sailaway wine!  Pat’s nosebleed has stopped for the time being, the Vaseline was in his suitcase and he has applied that.  He has been on antibiotics since October, so that may very well have something to do with it.  However, the surgeon wants him to stay on it, so we may just have to put up with for now.  

Ann, it's good you are on the ship, unpacked and settled in.  I'm glad Pat found the Vaseline and it stopped the nosebleed.

36 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Good afternoon. I start reading and the neighbor calls me out to check on something, read more, phone call, read more and I get busy with errands. I am determined to post before the next distraction. I received word that HAL will send me a check for my damaged suitcases. Good news. I can't seem to find excursions for my next cruise, PCC says they haven't finalized the contracts yet. Amazon delivered a smashed bottle of sweet chili sauce that I found I really like while on my last cruise, and she marked it undeliverable and will send it back. I could smell it but oh well, I should get another bottle soon. 

I went kayaking Saturday and Monday but still haven't seen a manatee. I hear that they should be in our neck of the woods now, getting frisky, so I am watching the river even as I write this. I have heard so many stories about them that I can't wait to have my first sighting. I'll try again Thursday night. 

Linda, that is good news that HAL will compensate you for your damaged suitcases.  Yuck, on the smashed bottle of sweet chili sauce.  That is as bad as the plastic pouch of shower gel that broke in one Amazon package.  Thankfully, the rest of the items in the package were not damaged, just very clean.  🤣  Amazon sent a replacement, and we were able to salvage some of the shower gel still in the pouch.

I have been enjoying all the pictures of Honolulu,  Thank you to all who shared their picture.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Vanessa, sorry about all the aches and pains.  Hopefully, they will be gone by the time of your cruise.

RNB, you should of waved or said hello.  🤣

Vanessa, I wish I could answer your questions, but I'm just a puzzled about what makes people do such things.

Karen, I'm glad you DH was moved out of ICU, and hope he continues to improve each day.  I hope he also can be moved back to your local hospital soon.  I looked up the bacteria, and it is nasty to say the least.

Ann, it's good you are on the ship, unpacked and settled in.  I'm glad Pat found the Vaseline and it stopped the nosebleed.

Linda, that is good news that HAL will compensate you for your damaged suitcases.  Yuck, on the smashed bottle of sweet chili sauce.  That is as bad as the plastic pouch of shower gel that broke in one Amazon package.  Thankfully, the rest of the items in the package were not damaged, just very clean.  🤣  Amazon sent a replacement, and we were able to salvage some of the shower gel still in the pouch.

I have been enjoying all the pictures of Honolulu,  Thank you to all who shared their picture.

Lenda

And expose myself to all y’all daily CC people. 

• Haha 4

Good afternoon everyone!

Bon Voyage to the Rotterdam and all those who are cruising🙂

I did something pretty foolish today,  I put the Easter chocolate in the guest room and got distracted with other things, sure enough my little dog Penny got into it.  Luckily I stopped her from eating a dangerous amount, called the vet and we calculated that the dose did not warrant a visit but to keep an eye on her.  I’m usually so careful too.

Sending positive thoughts to all🙂

Jo

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

12 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Today is National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day, Smoke and Mirrors Day, and Manatee Appreciation Day

Food is an important part of a balanced diet. - Fran Lebowitz

Meal Suggestion for today - Ham with Pineapple Salsa
Drink of the Day - Makers Mark Paper Plane
Wine of the Day - Tony Bish Chardonnay Hawkes Bay Skeetfield 2021
Destination of the Day - Honolulu, Oahu Island, Hawaii

Sandi for Rich and Roy

How appropriate to have Ham with pineapple salsa and Honolulu as destination all in the same Daily.

I like both and I like Ham and pineapple on my PIZZA.   yup I do

• Like 11

A couple of comments on today's daily:

I spent the first 5 years of my life on Oahu -- my father was stationed at Hickam Air Force Base -- now Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam.  The only hotel on Waikiki was the Royal Hawaiian Hotel, and Haiwaii was not yet a state.  So that kind of gives you a clue to my age :-).

My best friend from high school, with whom I used to cruise (she unfortunately passed away in January of 2018) once took an upgrade form a Neptune Suite to the Pinnacle Suite for I think only $700 per person.  I agree with @seagarsmoker that it was way too big for two people, but, for two unrelated people, having the half bath available was a bonus.  The biggest problem was, as two unrelated people, the king size bed could not be split into two beds.  But it was an experience I'll remember since, now that I sail as a single, I will never experience it again.  And the hot tub on the balcony was nice ... 

Edited by Petunia1950
  • Like 11

Good evening, it's been a busy day, and I'm just getting to read the Daily now.  My niece and her husband just finished a trip to Hawaii, they shared lots of photos and videos.  They did lots of hiking while there.  We did a Hawaii tour about 20 years ago.  No pictures to share, but the ones here today look familiar.  I like to visit mom and pop stores and restaurants.  We spent a month at St. Pete Beach a few years ago, never did see any manatees while there.  

@luvteachingit's good to hear your DH is out of the ICU, prayers that he continues to improve.  

Bon Voyage to everyone on the Rotterdam!  Have a great trip.  Have a good night, Karen

• Like 10

I haven't been able to keep up with our daily while way down here in New Zealand,  but wanted to check in. 

Please know that the good ship Noordam will indeed be heading north in a few days as we sail for Vancouver from Australia. A few pics of my favorite vista class ship, the only with an Oak Room off the Crows Nest and a real Crows Nest without the EXC Center.

20230330_111623.jpg

20230330_101014.jpg

20230330_101036.jpg

20230326_161055.jpg

20230325_150716.jpg

• Like 13

Today’s followup at eye doctor was slow but we’re making progress. They took off the bulky bandage and did. vision and pressure checks. Vision is better. Pressure was pretty high. He hadn’t had any pressure drops in that eye for over a day. She said it takes “some time” for the shunt to become effective. She said we should be able to tell more next week.  

Love seeing the Hawaii pictures. Great memories. Beautiful places. Thanks to all for sharing them. 
m—

• Like 11

Good evening from a cloudy central Texas.  The sun came out this afternoon while I did my walk.  I thought we'd be able to see the planetary alignment, but that didn't happen.  The nearer it got to sunset, the more clouds appeared.

A salute to all the Vietnam veterans on the Daily and in our neighborhood.  DH was a Vietnam era veteran.  He was inducted on Friday, December 13, 1969, into the Army.  After boot camp at Ft, Bliss in El Paso, he was stationed at Picatinny Aresenal, working on the 750 pound bomb which was used in Vietnam.

3 hours ago, jodi58 said:

Good afternoon everyone!

Bon Voyage to the Rotterdam and all those who are cruising🙂

I did something pretty foolish today,  I put the Easter chocolate in the guest room and got distracted with other things, sure enough my little dog Penny got into it.  Luckily I stopped her from eating a dangerous amount, called the vet and we calculated that the dose did not warrant a visit but to keep an eye on her.  I’m usually so careful too.

Sending positive thoughts to all🙂

Jo

Jo, I'm happy you stopped Penny before she ate too much chocolate.

40 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

I haven't been able to keep up with our daily while way down here in New Zealand,  but wanted to check in. 

Please know that the good ship Noordam will indeed be heading north in a few days as we sail for Vancouver from Australia. A few pics of my favorite vista class ship, the only with an Oak Room off the Crows Nest and a real Crows Nest without the EXC Center.

20230330_111623.jpg

20230330_101014.jpg

20230330_101036.jpg

20230326_161055.jpg

20230325_150716.jpg

I'm glad you are enjoying your cruise, and hapo6 they did not mess with the Crow's Nest.  We were on Weterdam before and after they redid Deck 1 and the Crow's Nest.  We liked it before the conversion.

35 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

Today’s followup at eye doctor was slow but we’re making progress. They took off the bulky bandage and did. vision and pressure checks. Vision is better. Pressure was pretty high. He hadn’t had any pressure drops in that eye for over a day. She said it takes “some time” for the shunt to become effective. She said we should be able to tell more next week.  

Love seeing the Hawaii pictures. Great memories. Beautiful places. Thanks to all for sharing them. 
m—

Maureen, I'm glad your DH's vision is better, and the pressure is lower next week.

Lenda

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Its night time, but too early for me to go to bed, we watched the Mask Singer, we watched the end of the series on NASCAR, DH is looking for Motocross, and I finally got to get back to the Daily.

@luvteachingI am glad that you found a doctor who diagnosed the type of infection that your DH has and now can start treating it for good.  

@ger_77The blankets are beautiful, and when someone is coming to a place for the first time, when nothing is theirs it is so nice that they do arrive with something of their own.

DH said it was time to let you know that the families, of my adopted mom family and the mom of her Dad, and dad's dad were all from Canada.  Are you ready?  Mom's grandmother was from Nova Scotia, and when I was on one of the Windjammers back in the early 2000's I met a woman who was talking about her grandmother, who turned out to be my mom's grandmother.  After a few comments she made about her grandmother, when I got home and called my aunt, who informed me that yes, that was her grandmother.  When my mom's mom had a nervous breakdown, her hubby couldn't take care of her and the kids, so he shipped my mom and my aunt off to his mothers.  They lived in a sod hut in Manitoba,   And my father's dad came from the Toronto area.  I only learned about my dad's dad when i got custody of his passport, after my dad died.  My sister in law said they didn't need that information in their house.

Life is odd at the best of times, Dad's dad was Jewish, but no one knew it.  He managed a horse breeding farm in Woodstock VT, and he and my father delivered Morgan horses to Germany before the war.

Weird right.  I knew my last name was Welsh but until someone who studies last names told me it was a Jewish name I had no idea that my family was hiding so many secrets. And then I was really interested in Grandpa's  passport.

Trivial information I know, but I just thought that you should know, I was raised by Canadians.🙀

No wonder I am so interested in the frozen tundra!

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

@Cruising-along, you brought back my memory of the 1st time in Honolulu. It was also DH's R&R, in February, 1974 with our 18-month old son. At that point, Viet Nam had been closing down and most places we went kept saying there is no more R&R, but yes, we were there, the Air Force let him go so it had to be official. We've been lucky to return several times since to most of the islands.

• Like 6