How nit-picky is the "Smart Casual" dress code on Celebrity?

davidlachnicht

To be honest, I don't mind it too much, but my teens are another story.

And the other folks on my upcoming cruise are already crunchy about it, going from "I'm not dressing" to "I'm gonna wear the same shirt every time, and use it as a napkin, every. time." 😆

So, let's have the real-real: Have you ever seen people turned-away from 'smart casual' dining?

(not formal, or anything like that - just 'smart casual')

Please share any and all thoughts.

Thanks.

Yes.  I have seen people in shorts and flip flops turned away. I have seen people wearing ball caps asked to remove them.

and I saw one lady who was wearing a very revealing top that was really meant to be a beach cover up turned away.  

The smart casual dress code allows jeans. It asks that there be no shorts, beachwear, sleeveless T-shirts on men, it isn’t that hard to abide by.  

your teens might be happier eating in the buffet.  They won’t be alone.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, davidlachnicht said:

And the other folks on my upcoming cruise are already crunchy about it, going from "I'm not dressing" to "I'm gonna wear the same shirt every time, and use it as a napkin, every. time." 😆

So, let's have the real-real: Have you ever seen people turned-away from 'smart casual' dining?

Thanks.

To answer your specific question... Yes I have, he was in shorts and it was last month on Beyond. 

I'll leave the rest of my thoughts to myself 🤐

Patty 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

No true dress code any longer except for no shorts on men in MDR for dinner every night.  On chic night, no longer dressy for most in Europe or the Caribbean. You will see a small amount that still dress formal for chic night.  

27 minutes ago, davidlachnicht said:

Thanks.

I always wear shorts and a golf/polo shirt the first evening in the MDR. After that I put my big boy pants on with a golf/polo style shirt and dress IAW Celebrity's very relaxed suggest dress guidelines. Remind your kids who paid for the cruise and their other options. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, davidlachnicht said:

Have you ever seen people turned-away from 'smart casual' dining?

Yes--And, they should be.

Please believe me--If the other folks and your children show up as described, they will not be admitted or asked to change. Otherwise, they won't have difficulty finding a table in the OVC.

Hey, it's really not that hard to observe the dress code and there's nothing to prove by " It's MY right " BS.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

The main place that people are picky is right here.

Have many cruises on Celebrity and have seen people with sorts, bathing suits and muscle shirts turned away - sometimes firmly.  Engage your common sense and wear long pants and a collared shirt.  Not hard.

As for flip flops, I do not own any footwear except Birkenstocks sandals.  I simply usually wear socks.

PS - have seen passengers with t-shirts asked to change because the message was vile.  Usually profanity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, islabahia said:

The buffet may be the answer for them.  

agree and that is why on ships I see the buffet more and more busy.

But really just put on some pants and a shirt so you can eat in MDR.  I mean even at land based all-inclusive restaurants sometimes have dress codes as well.  in MY opinion. dinner should differ from quick lunch by the pool in bathing suit and shorts.   

• Like 5

I don’t see an issue with a solid t-shirt and chinos or jeans on men in the evening. It seems doable for even the casual set. But yes, if your friends are going in with a poor attitude or are looking to cause trouble, please try to steer them to the Oceanview Cafe for dinner. 

• Like 3

They are going to wear the same shirt every night and use it as a napkin???  Are they also going to "soil" their pants in defiance, just because they can?  Unfortunately self-respect can't be legislated.

I did see one guy wear the same shirt for most of the cruise.  I don't know if his luggage got lost or what.  I only noticed because it was a vibrant plaid print.  He didn't smell very good up close.  

Yes, I have seen people turned away for not adhering to the bare minimum required of them.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Celebrity is not too picky about non-formal or formal nights any more, but some cruisers are very picky about it so you might get some looks if you are dressed too far from the code.  I wear jeans on non-formal nights and nice slacks and a button shirt and tie on formal.

• Like 2

was on celebrity the other week and saw several people come in with tshirts and shorts. i understand people want to dress up or look nice but on vacation i rather be in shorts and a tshirt. should allow it in a section in the back or part of the upper level or something. so i guess its hit or miss. 

I agree, not a hard dress code to abide by.  Casual pants or jeans and a shirt with a collar (polo etc) are pretty easy to follow.  We did run into a couple on our last cruise (HAL) that unfortunately did not have their luggage make it with them (maybe the 4th night it caught up?) - they told us they were on a transfer from the airport to the ship via HAL and all the people on the bus - 30-40 of them, had their luggage left behind.  so they were given a tshirt and a few other things, but only had their casual clothes.  So if you do see someone in the MDR that is dressed very casual, it could potentially be a case that their luggage has not caught up with them yet.  Yes I realize this would be an extremely small percentage - but just something to consider. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, AmberCascades said:

They are going to wear the same shirt every night and use it as a napkin???  Are they also going to "soil" their pants in defiance, just because they can?  Unfortunately self-respect can't be legislated.

I did see one guy wear the same shirt for most of the cruise.  I don't know if his luggage got lost or what.  I only noticed because it was a vibrant plaid print.  He didn't smell very good up close.  

Yes, I have seen people turned away for not adhering to the bare minimum required of them.

I just don't understand some people not taking the time to put on a nice pair of khaki's and a polo shirt, trust me, it doesn't hurt.

I wouldn't like sitting near that guy who wore the same shirt the whole cruise especially near the end of the cruise, I hope he at least changed his underwear.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, fishmongerrules said:

was on celebrity the other week and saw several people come in with tshirts and shorts. i understand people want to dress up or look nice but on vacation i rather be in shorts and a tshirt. should allow it in a section in the back or part of the upper level or something. so i guess its hit or miss. 

I am not trying to get in your face, but why would you choose a vacation venue that has a dress code you don’t support? Why not select one more in line with your preferences? Or at the very least, just dine in rooms that allow shorts and tees? Is it really that hard to set standards for yourself and your kids? I am sincerely curious why that is an issue for you.

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, redjetz said:

I am not trying to get in your face, but why would you choose a vacation venue that has a dress code you don’t support? Why not select one more in line with your preferences? Or at the very least, just dine in rooms that allow shorts and tees? Is it really that hard to set standards for yourself and your kids? I am sincerely curious why that is an issue for you.

i dont have kids. i want to be relaxed like i said on vacation i would rather be in shorts and tshirt. there really isnt many options there was mdr with dress code or a scaled back dinning for the oceanview cafe. also had less people on board so not as packed. i dont mind kids but liked the older crowed with celebrity. it clearly isnt a deal breaker i just dont see the need or it setting "standards".

6 minutes ago, fishmongerrules said:

i dont have kids. i want to be relaxed like i said on vacation i would rather be in shorts and tshirt. there really isnt many options there was mdr with dress code or a scaled back dinning for the oceanview cafe. also had less people on board so not as packed. i dont mind kids but liked the older crowed with celebrity. it clearly isnt a deal breaker i just dont see the need or it setting "standards".

I very much understand wanting to be very casual and comfortable on vacation, when that’s what I want, I simply don’t choose a vacation that requires a bit bit more than shorts and a tee. There are options other than Celebrity or cruises that fit the bill when that’s the case.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, san diego spartan said:

I agree, not a hard dress code to abide by.  Casual pants or jeans and a shirt with a collar (polo etc) are pretty easy to follow.  We did run into a couple on our last cruise (HAL) that unfortunately did not have their luggage make it with them (maybe the 4th night it caught up?) - they told us they were on a transfer from the airport to the ship via HAL and all the people on the bus - 30-40 of them, had their luggage left behind.  so they were given a tshirt and a few other things, but only had their casual clothes.  So if you do see someone in the MDR that is dressed very casual, it could potentially be a case that their luggage has not caught up with them yet.  Yes I realize this would be an extremely small percentage - but just something to consider. 

Was this them?

image.jpeg

• Haha 2