Influencers onboard

zitsky

2 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

It’s really the opposite, you have a full time job, get a channel, it blows up and you’re too busy for your regular job

I know what you mean.  I had to quit my job when I had 5 followers.  I couldn’t keep up.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

aw but Chris has a job on the ship; and Tonys wife provides a service I can not mention here.  So does Don and a few others.

I understand the click bait is something You tube encourages them to do.  Some are just not as good at it and then those facial expressions OMG

Valid, yet Chris has long breaks between contracts, Tony did quit his reg full time job, don does have the same job as Tony’s wife.  You also have jay from the ship life and Emma cruises who claimed to both quit their jobs to do YouTube full time

8 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Very true; if one repeatedly clicks on a “clickbait” type video, high odds YouTube will start recommending them 

It’s the darn YouTube algorithm.  More people click on the “clickbait” thumbnails, so YouTube shows them to more people, so more people see them and click on them…rinse and repeat.  

But just because the video has a click bait look to the thumbnail doesn’t mean the video doesn’t have good information. You just learn which creators have information vs entertainment, and depending what you want, you follow those creators.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Valid, yet Chris has long breaks between contracts, Tony did quit his reg full time job, don does have the same job as Tony’s wife.  You also have jay from the ship life and Emma cruises who claimed to both quit their jobs to do YouTube full time

It’s kind of funny how you are on a first name basis.  Like the rest of us should know who they are.  🙂

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

Then they should get one. 

The only thing I hate more than “influencer” is “literally” and “at the end of the day”. 

Now get off my lawn!!  🤪

Why should they? Finding a dull 9-5 employment is really the worst thing you can do with your life.

I find that most of those who complain about this (especially on cruises) are either old, miserable or jealous that they had to work a crappy job all their life while the new generations find a better way to earn money and live. Usually a combination of these three things.

Edited by Fly and Sail
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, TravelBluebird said:

More people click on the “clickbait” thumbnails, so YouTube shows them to more people, so more people see them and click on them…rinse and repeat.  

Very true.

Funny thing... One of the YouTubers mentioned often in this thread so far actually mentioned in one of his videos about people complaining about the click bait previews.

His response was basically, if you don't like it, don't watch.

At least with me, he got his wish.

I'm into everything "KA-RUUZ-ING" but can live without the holier than thou attitude.

• Like 1

I'm kind of in a different situation than others within my niche (cruise YouTuber here).  I work with seniors, some of which love to travel but can't for medical or financial reasons.  That's why I started my channel in the first place: to take these exotic places to them.  My folks enjoy the likes of Rick Steves or Samantha Brown but they get more out of it when someone they know is hosting the video.

I do respect the fact that others may not want to be shown on camera, and I try to respect that as much as possible.  If I don't have your permission, that picture won't be in the video.  When I take the actual video (I do mixed media), I try to limit the clips to under a minute.  If you want to be a part of it, fine, I'll let you do a shoutout to friends and family back home.  

For any in my niche that I run into, I'm giving you permission now to include me, and yes I will even pose for the camera if you want me to. 

I also try not to be one of those people that literally has to take pictures of every single thing that they do, like "here's a picture of the food I'm about to eat *takes picture of dish* and here's a picture of me eating it *takes picture* and here is my finished plate *takes another picture*, etc."  That's my biggest pet peeve!  

I usually go for the interesting or colorful shots.  One of my favorites from my last trip (which was on Anthem Of The Seas) was when I was in the covered pool and the North Star passed directly over us.  I grabbed my camera, took a shot, and came out with the coolest picture!  It happened to be directly over the sun, so we were totally eclipsed by it!

I'm also very careful with the thumbnails I create.  I try to make ones that accurately reflect what the video is about. For example, I was working on one for this week last night.  I'm doing a comparison video of Quantum class ships and Oasis class ships on Royal.  Since I've been on both Anthem (Quantum class) and Oasis (Oasis class), I have pictures of both ships docked in port.  I took a picture of each and put (as a working title) "Quantum Class VS Oasis Class: Which is better?".  On one side of the thumbnail is a picture of Anthem, while the other side has a picture of Oasis, since those are the ships featured. 

I'll do the same with the Summit, as I'll be doing a comparison video of what it was like pre-remodel (which was my first time on the ship) and post-remodel (which will be my second time on the ship in October).  I'm not going to put a picture of Anthem or Oasis in the thumbnail, as neither one is the focus of the video.

Edited by broadwaybaby123

7 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

Why should they? Finding a dull 9-5 employment is really the worst thing you can do with your life.

I find that most of those who complain about this (especially on cruises) are either old, miserable or jealous that they had to work a crappy job all their life while the new generations find a better way to earn money and live. Usually a combination of these three things.

I won’t complain about polite YouTubers who don’t get in your face and respect your privacy.  But the annoying ones?  Yes I’ll complain about them.  I can reassure you that I have nothing to be jealous about.  I’m perfectly happy with my 9-5 job.  Well, mostly happy.  I also complain about loud music and people who talk with their mouth full.  😂

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

yes to all of that.  I find Tony entertaining and Don a bit more serious.  I like Emma more and more.

I do not think Chris should stop working on ships as that is why we like his vlogs.  Did you see the 1 hours of the dry dock of Symphony.  Wow is all I can say. showed a lot of things in process. But I got a little tired of him saying he did not know what he way seeing.  I mean workers were nearby and he could have asked.   He takes breaks because he has to once a contract ends just like other crew he has to be off for 10-12 weeks.  Oh and I like the fellow from Uk named Tips for Travellers.   

• Like 1

I'm probably in minority, but I'm beginning to think I know too much before getting on the ship.  I used to get on a cruise ship full of wonder and surprise, now I know I'm getting the chicken on Tuesday.  Watching those videos can set unrealistic expectations and make you feel your experience is nowhere near as good as those beautiful people who got chocolate covered strawberries and champagne (the good stuff).  I've seen people at each other's throats, stop, hold up a camera, smile like they're having the time of their lives and go right back to fighting (of course, after they've posted the pic).   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Fla Mike said:

Very true.

Funny thing... One of the YouTubers mentioned often in this thread so far actually mentioned in one of his videos about people complaining about the click bait previews.

His response was basically, if you don't like it, don't watch.

At least with me, he got his wish....

I have yet to see any reason to go off to you tube to learn about anything beyond simple home repair issues like replacing the valve stem in a bathroom shower faucet or cutting a compound mitre with a table saw. If I want information about travel in general, cruising in particular, I will read a book and/or read commentary on Cruise Critic.

Stan

On 4/15/2023 at 8:05 AM, broadwaybaby123 said:

I also try not to be one of those people that literally has to take pictures of every single thing that they do, like "here's a picture of the food I'm about to eat *takes picture of dish* and here's a picture of me eating it *takes picture* and here is my finished plate *takes another picture*, etc."  That's my biggest pet peeve!  

So I am guilty of taking pictures of menus, for my cruise critic post cruise thread I do, and I for sure take pictures of some of the more unique foods because my daughter wants to see them. The only pictures I do for social media are a few with different fishing hats, sponsors, but they are always me solo either while looking out at the water or with the ship in the background from shore.

I don't think doing my thrifty cruiser trip reports on here counts as an influencer. That said I will be doing one on my upcoming HAL cruise so maybe;)

So I just saw yesterday one of the moderately prominent cruise you tubers complain about being filmed while onboard. It was really strange and they should have reported it, because it was in the bathroom. They should have reported it because whoever did it had some issues. That is some very strange stuff and the downside to phones having good cameras.

28 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

So I just saw yesterday one of the moderately prominent cruise you tubers complain about being filmed while onboard. It was really strange and they should have reported it, because it was in the bathroom. They should have reported it because whoever did it had some issues. That is some very strange stuff and the downside to phones having good cameras.

To take pictures in a bathroom with others present?  That is either clueless or disturbed.  Either way, it wasn’t me!!!

On 4/15/2023 at 9:05 AM, broadwaybaby123 said:

the North Star passed directly over us.  I grabbed my camera, took a shot, and came out with the coolest picture!  It happened to be directly over the sun, so we were totally eclipsed by it!

Im still trying to figure out how the North Star was over the sun... 

• Like 2

On 4/17/2023 at 8:51 AM, mfs2k said:

Im still trying to figure out how the North Star was over the sun... 

4 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

Me too

I think they mean that obnoxious thing on the arm that goes up and down and you can ride in (for an extra charge I think). Not lilterally Polaris.

So if it was up in a certain position, the capsule could block the sun.

On 4/15/2023 at 12:49 AM, Fly and Sail said:

All 9-5 employment is neither dull nor definitely the worst thing you can do with your life!  My 9-5 job that I enjoyed 95% of the time and was paid well for it has paid for 70+ Celebrity cruises so far, including the 6-8 I am now sailing annually since retiring.  I am old (compared to you apparently), but neither jealous nor miserable (well, actually I am in the middle of a nasty upper respiratory infection so I'm pretty miserable as I write this).  But what I don't like is when people feel it is perfectly okay to interfere with others, take over space as if they are the only ones onboard, forget what manners and common courtesy are about and things of that nature that some influencers are guilty of (and frankly applies to some who are not influencers, just jerks).

The wonderful, better way to earn money and live will likely fade out in time like all trends do.  Those of us working the old dull 9-5 will end up helping support them when they get to be old and miserable and unemployable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/17/2023 at 8:02 AM, cgolf1 said:

So I am guilty of taking pictures of menus, for my cruise critic post cruise thread I do, and I for sure take pictures of some of the more unique foods because my daughter wants to see them. The only pictures I do for social media are a few with different fishing hats, sponsors, but they are always me solo either while looking out at the water or with the ship in the background from shore.

I don't think doing my thrifty cruiser trip reports on here counts as an influencer. That said I will be doing one on my upcoming HAL cruise so maybe;)

Same here, I do my reviews on both here and YouTube.  That said, I do find the people that post their reviews quite helpful when I'm looking to book a ship.

I also post them on YouTube so that people can see what I experienced first hand.  For me, I love to see pictures and videos of a ship before booking it as well as reading about them.

47 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

But what I don't like is when people feel it is perfectly okay to interfere with others, take over space as if they are the only ones onboard, forget what manners and common courtesy are about and things of that nature that some influencers are guilty of (and frankly applies to some who are not influencers, just jerks).

The wonderful, better way to earn money and live will likely fade out in time like all trends do.  Those of us working the old dull 9-5 will end up helping support them when they get to be old and miserable and unemployable.

What I don't understand about this thread is the fact that of all the rude people I have encountered on cruises, none of them have been influencers, content creators, YouTubers, etc.  You are far more likely to deal with the average rude passenger (who likely has a 9-5 job) than you are to deal with the few influencers who are rude and obnoxious.  

I don't see why it should matter to anyone else how they earn their money (assuming they are doing so legally) or what hours they work.  

All that said, I completely support those complaining about people who interfere with others' vacations but I think you are targeting the wrong group of people if you are focusing just on "influencers".

• Like 2

On 3/30/2023 at 12:19 PM, zitsky said:

I just watched part of a YouTube video by some rather annoying guys, recording in one of the Beyond pools.  Do I have to worry about influencers, TikTok stars etc taking over the ship?  I don’t have a problem sharing space but I’m not leaving a space to make it more convenient for them.

I have no problem doing what I was doing or planned on doing in the area.  So what if I photo bombed their video.  They video bombed my vacation.  Unless Celebrity has roped off the area for them to film in, not likely, it is fair game for me to enjoy the area.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, prmssk said:

What I don't understand about this thread is the fact that of all the rude people I have encountered on cruises, none of them have been influencers, content creators, YouTubers, etc.  You are far more likely to deal with the average rude passenger (who likely has a 9-5 job) than you are to deal with the few influencers who are rude and obnoxious.  

I don't see why it should matter to anyone else how they earn their money (assuming they are doing so legally) or what hours they work.  

All that said, I completely support those complaining about people who interfere with others' vacations but I think you are targeting the wrong group of people if you are focusing just on "influencers".

I don’t care how they earn their money.  This is about sharing a space with other people.  It’s not just for their use.

• Like 1