Am I a Keurig snob?

Clampram

I love my K cups at home and that's all I drink except for a rare DD if travelling. I purchased a coffee card (one of the last ones) for my current cruise like I always do. So, here I am on the Royal and the only decent cup I can find is in Sabatini's.....what happened? I used to be able to tolerate the coffee at the IC but it really tastes awful to me now.

I guess my next step is to bring instant coffee with me

• Like 1

We found the americanos and the brewed coffee at IC on the Royal in January to be poor. Makes it easier to accept the demise of the coffee card. They just announced a partnership with Lavazza so maybe that will improve it.

I’m bringing Starbucks’s via on our next cruise.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

K-cups are passable coffee. Step up to the good coffee plate. 

Keurig's are very convenient and what we use at home. I have to admit I would like a stronger cuppa Joe than I manage to get out of the Keurig.  

Is a coffee plate a cup warmer?  How does that improve the coffee other than keeping it hot?  

I have a Keurig at home (only coffee drinker), and have had one since they first released their home brewer way back when. However, I'll still drink DD, and Cumbys (local convenience store) with no issue. I've not had a problem with coffee on any ship I've sailed on.

13 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

We found the americanos and the brewed coffee at IC on the Royal in January to be poor. Makes it easier to accept the demise of the coffee card. They just announced a partnership with Lavazza so maybe that will improve it.

I’m bringing Starbucks’s via on our next cruise.

12 hours ago, DUCHESSRN said:

Starbucks Via for me too now I cannot exchange mini bar for coffee card .

I just read as of next month FCC only good for a year ...what next!!!

Just off the Enchanted and took our Starbucks Via with us.  Our room steward brought a kettle so we didn't even have to request or go get hot water.  It was actually very convenient to make coffee in our room without ordering room service or going down to the IC.  I just had to remember to get milk for mine the evening before.  

I'm wondering about the new Lavazza partnership.  Does anyone know if it will be throughout the ship including dining rooms and buffet, or only for brewed and espresso-based coffees at the IC?  In other words, will the free coffee finally be decent?

15 minutes ago, pompeii said:

Just off the Enchanted and took our Starbucks Via with us.  Our room steward brought a kettle so we didn't even have to request or go get hot water.  It was actually very convenient to make coffee in our room without ordering room service or going down to the IC.  I just had to remember to get milk for mine the evening before.  

I'm wondering about the new Lavazza partnership.  Does anyone know if it will be throughout the ship including dining rooms and buffet, or only for brewed and espresso-based coffees at the IC?  In other words, will the free coffee finally be decent?

Yes, I’ve heard they will provide kettles in Europe and the UK. I’ll try it next month on the Discovery and hope for the best.

Keurig coffee is passable at best! I upgraded to a Cuisinart Grind-N-Brew that takes K-cups as well as a My K-Cup for the burr grinder. That means I get the convenience along with freshly ground coffee. It's not quite as clean, but the coffee is really good!

As for those above talking about instant coffee, especially the Via stuff, they have no right to talk about coffee in any shape or form!!

Cuisinart Grind & Brew Single Serve Coffee Maker | Crate & Barrel Canada

Edited by Guindalf
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Guindalf said:

Keurig coffee is passable at best! I upgraded to a Cuisinart Grind-N-Brew that takes K-cups as well as a My K-Cup for the burr grinder. That means I get the convenience along with freshly ground coffee. It's not quite as clean, but the coffee is really good!

As for those above talking about instant coffee, especially the Via stuff, they have no right to talk about coffee in any shape or form!!

This looks like a nice setup, but more noise than I can take before I’ve had my coffee 😊

19 hours ago, DUCHESSRN said:

Starbucks Via for me too now I cannot exchange mini bar for coffee card .

According to a poster on another thread, you can exchange your mini-bar for $50 OBC at Passenger Services, then buy a non-alcohol package, which includes barista coffee. Have no more details than that. We also bring Starbucks Via on Grand Class ships. 

5 hours ago, Guindalf said:

3 hours ago, Mary loves to travel said:

This looks like a nice setup, but more noise than I can take before I’ve had my coffee 😊

X2 - looks interesting and I like the idea of a fresh grind feature.   One of our kids has a Nespresso machine. Pretty good stuff, but the weird shaped pods are pricey compared to the K-cups.  

20 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

K-cups are passable coffee. Step up to the good coffee plate. 

Well said! K cups are a necessary evil - a convenience while you are at work, but that is it. Also for some of the other posts - instant coffee is not coffee - regardless of who makes it.

Edited by RD64
Additional

8 hours ago, gottagocit said:

The taste difference might be due to the lack of traces of melted plastic you’ve gotten used to not being in the fresh made cups from the IC.
Just saying…

We do Keurig for our coffee at home - mainly because I like strong coffee and DW likes it much milder  so it's convenient.  But a few months ago someone asked me if I ever smelled the plastic container while I was drinking my coffee...now I can't drink it without smelling it 🙂

• Haha 1

We had a keurig in the office when I was still working, but I wouldn’t want one at home. Seems like it creates a lot of waste (money and plastic) and I could never have just one cup of coffee. I like a whole pot 😊.

I realize Via is instant coffee but it still tastes better than most cruise ship coffee. It’s fine in a pinch.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bjkTX said:

We do Keurig for our coffee at home - mainly because I like strong coffee and DW likes it much milder  so it's convenient.  But a few months ago someone asked me if I ever smelled the plastic container while I was drinking my coffee...now I can't drink it without smelling it 🙂

That’s one reason I don’t care to have one either. I’ve used them in office situations and elsewhere on occasion and couldn’t get away from the plastics smell and taste. And yes the waste and cost is also a factor. 

To me there’s no comparison to the quality taste of fresh grounds in a traditional expresso style machine. Until they’re banded we will have an Italian Pavoni home unit and a Bunn pot style when I don’t want to use the Pavoni 

I'm a Keurig user and love the convenience, but I want a STRONG coffee, and I can't seem to get it even using the smallest setting.

I finally found what works for me at the IC.....they look at me like I'm nuts when I order it.   I order 4 shots of espresso in a small flat white.    Finally figured out what it takes to get my strong coffee.   They always look at me like I'm nuts.  

• Like 1

I love my Keurig.  It makes great coffee (I like breakfast coffee and the Walmart/Costco brands are great).  The water is hot enough to use for instant oatmeal and tea bags.  

Main thing is that coffee is not wasted.  My wife doesn't drink coffee.  BK (before Keurig), I would make coffee in something like a Mr. Coffee.  I would waste half of what was made.

Just wish they had the machine available in the cabins.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

I finally found what works for me at the IC.....they look at me like I'm nuts when I order it.   I order 4 shots of espresso in a small flat white.    Finally figured out what it takes to get my strong coffee.   They always look at me like I'm nuts.  

On the last couple of cruises, before they did away with the coffee package, I'd order a triple cappuccino.  That was finally strong enough for me, and it cost only one "punch".  The IC brewed coffee was like colored water.  It used to be fine but not since the restart.   

I don't drink Via at home but when faced with the option of weak coffee, I'll take it any day.  We don't drink alcohol so we don't get the plus package, and now that there is no coffee package, Via will have to do.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

I'm a Keurig user and love the convenience, but I want a STRONG coffee, and I can't seem to get it even using the smallest setting.

I use a larger size refillable MY K-Cup pod that makes a strong enough cup on the 10oz setting.  That way I can fill it with whatever coffee I want and not worry about the expense or waste of regular pods.  

• Like 1

Clampram,  I am with you all the way.  I love my Keurig machine here at home with the attached latte maker!!!   Now that Princess it appears is charging an arm and a leg for their little old coffee card (and Elites it appears can no longer switch out their little mini bar for a coffee card), I am seriously thinking of bringing my small thin personal Keurig machine with me on my next Alaskan cruise.    Of course, will have to get the OKAY from Princess.  I take it with me everywhere else.  I will take coffee any day over an extra pair of shoes in my luggage.