The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday April 1st, 2023

Good morning from a dark and rainy NY. I got drenched earlier trying to get the dogs out  and so did they. We are expecting winds but nothing like the awful destruction down south.

My grandmother did all sorts of needlework and showed me her tatting pieces she made as part of her bridal trousseau. It was so intricate.

I pretty much always had fun at work until it became too physically hard to do. I know I was very fortunate to feel that way as so many of my patients did not enjoy their work.

We have not been to the port. The recipes look so nice but today we are having chicken schwarma  requested by our teenager. I love the tzatziki sauce all by itself!

DH is waiting to hear from yet another consultant about the aorta problem discovered on his C-T scan. I will be very glad when we receive final guidance. 
Stay safe out there 

• Like 22

Good morning from rainy Michigan.    We had strong storms and wind last night but didn't cause us to lose power.  Sandi thanks for starting us off with the Daily and Fleet Reports each day and thank you for the gorgeous photos from Hammerfest.  We have never been to Norway.   @dfish thanks for the taco recipes I will pass on the avocado but they look wonderful.  @summer slope the bourbon cocktail look s good too with a few changes, sugar free syrup and no bitters, @cat shepardyou should get an award for locating those obscure wines.    @JazzyV Thank you for keeping us up to date on Celebrations and the Care list.  Prayers for the people of Ukraine, the people hurt by those spring tornadoes and our care list.   

I am working on a spring cleaning project weeding out a lot of the stuff I didn't weed out when I moved here from Maryland, it is time for it to go.  Today is the anniversary of the day in 2015 when I took my critically ill husband to the ER.  He had been covering up the seriousness of his symptoms when I asked about them until he showed signs of severe confusion.   Probably 2 days earlier when I asked if it was the worst HA in his life or did he have a stiff neck he would have had a shot to recover.   I hope no April Fool's tricks are played on me today.    I will probably have enough playing the horses watching the wonderful slate of races at Gulfstream Park today.   Have a wonderful weekend!  Nancy 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 8

effd16ec19e1269272516359cade3656.jpg

th?id=OIP.JLpVnMBFK0VE9EFAi4C4wwHaE7&pid=Api&P=0

Good Saturday Morning Dailyites!  It was raining so hard a minute ago, I couldn't even see the house across the street.  I decided to get up at 7 something because when i started to hear the thunder, I figured I'd best make coffee and get a cup in the event we lose power.  So far so good, but the winds are pretty severe.. I had to laugh last night when i was flipping through the channels on the tv, they were showing the wind chill....68 degrees.  I'm sorry, but isn't a wind chill a cold thing?   

Fawn was off playing in the back woods last night, and I called out to her, thinking with the bad weather coming she would be safer on the porch.  I heard a critter running down from the back, and saw something in the dark that might have been her, so I called again, and another critter came running out of the fenced forest, and it seems that the possums think their name is Fawny, as I now had two possums on the back wall looking at me.  So I had the baby feisty fearless raccoon last night and two rather large possums.  No wonder Fawn wanders...

I marinated two chicken breasts in two different marinades, (one in each marinade)Hoisin Teriyaki and Orange Ginger, Wrapped them in foil and baked then last night, we had one for dinner last night, and will have one for lunch today.  I also made shredded veggies with light soy sauce and brown sugar and red pepper flakes, served with rice.  DH and I agreed -very tasty!

However I would never say no to todays meal.  I like soft flour tacos, and will often order chicken tacos at my favorite taco place, with a side of guacamole.  combine.  yummy!

@Crazy For Cats Amelia is beautiful, and a very merry Birthday to her.  Guessing special treats for her today.😸

Well I would like to catch up with the Formula 1 series in Australia, so trying again to wake the DH, need to see something fun before work, as I have not had a sale this week. 

I also am awaiting three different deliveries.  One is coming in today, they shipped it basically as a rush-  here' show that came about.  When DH went home last spring to visit with his mom, she said,  regarding a snack, "here try this", and DH did.    He said it was very good, and he would ask his mom to mail him some.  But she really isnt up to it, so when we went last fall, I bought several bags, and brought them home, DH ate the first two bags, and I was saving the last bag for Penny, but just haven't been able to remember to give them to her, and DH and I really needed a snack this week, and broke into the bag. 24 hours later, gone.  So I sucked it up on Thursday and called them, and explained that my mother in law got my husband addicted to Wicked Mix, and I needed help.  I ordered 12 bags (they really are wholesale, but will send retail if the order is big enough).  So Penny will get a bag.  And I can take a couple for our trip, and the sales rep said she often hears about family members getting their kin addicted to this food. Think spicy chex mix with a small pouring of white and dark chocolate over it.  Why they feel they need to put it in a resealable bag is beyond me....

• Like 21
  • Haha 4

Rabbit Rabbit White rabbit. But I said my prayers first so I hope that doesn’t dull the luck for the month. 
Slept poorly with the noise of the howling winds. 

We were in Hammerfest in our Hurtigruten cruise. Went to the museum of Reconstruction. It was uplifting to read the stories of such a resilient people. I bought some local spice but it wasn’t what I wanted - was looking for a delicious flavor from the pudding served in board. The chef write down the Norwegian name for it but it was out of season and the store worker suggested I try something else. It was a Thornberry but the dessert flavor was different. Travel opens our senses!  

Blessings to all in need of healing, comfort or hope. 

Cheers to all celebrating! Life is good!  

Smooth seas for all those cruising. 

Eye drops assistance time, I’ll check back in later. 
Maureen

• Like 20

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit!  Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I'm pretty sure there won't be any April Fool's jokes played in our house.  My mom used to do some tatting in hear early days; I think I still have one of her shuttles around somewhere.  I'm not sure I'd have the patience to do it, but admire anyone who does.  We aren't athiests, so can't celebrate that day.  Despite the seriousness of the job, I always tried to have fun at work every day - life's too short to remain stern 24/7.

I'm pretty sure right now my computer is playing an April Fool's trick on me - it says heavy snow, but as I look out the window, I'm seeing clear skies and the trees are beginning to lighten up from the sunrise.  Hmmm.  Before I go any further, I want to say I'm praying for those affected yesterday by the terrible tornados that tore through central U.S.  A sad loss of life, and destruction beyond belief.

@Crazy For CatsHappy Birthday Amelia; I'm sure you'll be treated like the queen you really are!

We had an interesting day yesterday - DH wanted to go out shopping, so we did (I married a shopper, much to my delight), and stopped at a fast food burger place on the way home.  There was a young couple sitting a couple of tables away and DH said they "weren't from these parts", but he couldn't hear them speaking, so was unable to determine the language.  A few minutes later the young woman came over and in heavily accented English, asked if they should clear the trash from the table, or just leave it.  We told her we normally clear the tables ourselves, and asked where she was from.  It turns out they just arrived in Canada from Ukraine only 2 days earlier and were staying at a hotel down the road.  We introduced ourselves and chatted with them for several minutes, finding out they will be moving from the hotel into an apartment, but that they need absolutely everything, as they only came with their 1 suitcase each.  We exchanged personal information and phone numbers, and I went to work as soon as we returned home.  I went online and put the word out that there was a young couple with a sweet little 5 year old who needed everything from beds to dishes, etc., and the response has been wonderful.  A number of people have e-transferred money for gift cards, while others have already offered household goods to help get them started.   People are pretty wonderful!

I like the idea of chicken tacos but will leave out the avocados - neither of us is a fan - and I do like the idea of a simple lime juice and salt marinade.  We have to run out to get some lettuce, but that's about it, so it'll be chicken tacos for us at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 34
  • Thanks 3

RABBIT 🐰 RABBIT 🐰 WHITE RABBIT 🐇

Good morning from a mostly sunny and slightly breezy central Texas.  It was 48F when I woke up this morning and is now 51F.  It should warm to the mid-70s this afternoon, and then repeat the cooling/warming cycle over night.

There is an interesting collection of days today.  I admire the finished product of those who can do tatting, but I would not have the skill or patience to try tatting.  Most of the time I had fun at work, and atheist day gives atheists a day to celebrate.

The Anthony Burgess quote is one I need to think about.

The chicken tacos look good, but we usually wind up having chicken fajitas with guacamole.  We'll pass on the drink, but would like to try the wine if we ever see it in NZ.

We have not been to Hammerfest -- yet.  Sandi,  @StLouisCruisers thank you for your pictures.

@grapau27  Graham, thank you for the explanation of the days.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi and @marshhawk Annie, I hope you remain safe during the storms, and Sandi, I hope the gutter fix works.

@richwmn  Rich, thanks for the information about Steve Wozniak and Steve Jobs founding Apple on April 1, 1976.

@Crazy For Cats   Jake, a VERY HAPPY 4TH BIRTHDAY TO AMELIA.  She is beautiful even if spoiled.

HBCat.jpg.3a197713668e3ddb116786c1f1d7d053.jpg

@cruising sister  Lorraine, I hope the internet problem is fixed soon.  Ours acts up, and every so often, we have to reboot the router.

@smitty34877  Terry, I hope your DH gets good news from the consultant soon.

@marshhawk  Annie, I hope your power remains on, and I hope you make a sale today.

@ger_77  Gerry, bless you for getting others to help the young couple get settled.  And bless all those who answered the call to help.

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

@ottahand7 Nancy, we mark the highs and lows of life in our hearts, minds and calendars. We think of the “coulda, woulda, shoulda”. Each of us has our own path even as we walk it with loved ones. <<<hugs>>> as you follow your path today into tomorrow. 
(Honestly, my first thoughts were harsher… men are just wired to ignore discomforts and it gets them in trouble, my DH too! Can’t count the times!  But I’m working on seeing what’s beyond my control, and where my role is. Thank you for sharing!) 

Maureen 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit!  Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I'm pretty sure there won't be any April Fool's jokes played in our house.  My mom used to do some tatting in hear early days; I think I still have one of her shuttles around somewhere.  I'm not sure I'd have the patience to do it, but admire anyone who does.  We aren't athiests, so can't celebrate that day.  Despite the seriousness of the job, I always tried to have fun at work every day - life's too short to remain stern 24/7.

I'm pretty sure right now my computer is playing an April Fool's trick on me - it says heavy snow, but as I look out the window, I'm seeing clear skies and the trees are beginning to lighten up from the sunrise.  Hmmm.  Before I go any further, I want to say I'm praying for those affected yesterday by the terrible tornados that tore through central U.S.  A sad loss of life, and destruction beyond belief.

@Crazy For CatsHappy Birthday Amelia; I'm sure you'll be treated like the queen you really are!

We had an interesting day yesterday - DH wanted to go out shopping, so we did (I married a shopper, much to my delight), and stopped at a fast food burger place on the way home.  There was a young couple sitting a couple of tables away and DH said they "weren't from these parts", but he couldn't hear them speaking, so was unable to determine the language.  A few minutes later the young woman came over and in heavily accented English, asked if they should clear the trash from the table, or just leave it.  We told her we normally clear the tables ourselves, and asked where she was from.  It turns out they just arrived in Canada from Ukraine only 2 days earlier and were staying at a hotel down the road.  We introduced ourselves and chatted with them for several minutes, finding out they will be moving from the hotel into an apartment, but that they need absolutely everything, as they only came with their 1 suitcase each.  We exchanged personal information and phone numbers, and I went to work as soon as we returned home.  I went online and put the word out that there was a young couple with a sweet little 5 year old who needed everything from beds to dishes, etc., and the response has been wonderful.  A number of people have e-transferred money for gift cards, while others have already offered household goods to help get them started.   People are pretty wonderful!

I like the idea of chicken tacos but will leave out the avocados - neither of us is a fan - and I do like the idea of a simple lime juice and salt marinade.  We have to run out to get some lettuce, but that's about it, so it'll be chicken tacos for us at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

That's a great story of coming across this Ukrainian family.  Of course your wonderful heart led you to do something to help them. ❤️ I wish them great success in their new Canadian home!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning, I’m up early this morning for no particular reason other than it was time. I guess I was anxious to see what Redneck Bob contrived for April Fool’s Day.

It’s 72 and we also have the possibility of thunderstorms. 

Going to be a busy week as we leave for Fort Lauderdale next Saturday for our 20 day cruise on the Eurodam. Upon our return we have only one day before we head to Jacksonville where we will babysit our two granddaughters for a couple of weeks when our daughter and her husband go on a vacation to celebrate their 10th wedding anniversary.

We’ll make a run to the Commissary this morning and we have invited our neighbor over for dinner seeing his wife is away babysitting their grandchildren.

Thanks Sandi for getting the Daily started and great pics of today’s port of call.

Have a great weekend everybody.

image.jpeg.51745e6777b57fb60a56d5158abaee40.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2fb41cff0e00eaa8e732a62a466b97c8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e402d1b9883439269bd64fc2f8ad08bc.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c1fe33d4d8826bf3a50c9009ff7ad164.jpegimage.jpeg.f33314f9edfc456aeab937cb9c4bddba.jpeg

Sorry AC. I am tapped out and have nothing more for April Fools Day.

By the way what’s this Rabbit Rabbit White Rabbit. Is everyone in Wonderland.

I usually say Grits Grits Hominy Grits. It makes sure the family tree continues to fork! 😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

Good morning all. We are at 11c (52f) and started out sunny. Clouds now moving in and we may get more thunderstorms this afternoon. Yesterday we got rain but the real storms were north and south of us. It was a little tense for awhile as DD and DSIL were flying back from Miami to arrive at 10:30 pm, right in the middle of storms at Detroit airport. Watching in FlightAware they circled over Toledo for about 20 minutes until the thunderstorms moved away from the airport.

so I banished winter here. Took the flannel sheets off and put on cotton sheets. Flannel will come back at the end of October. I left the heavier duvet for now, though. We also put the chairs on the front porch. It is covered but not enclosed but on the west side so on a sunny day it will warm up nicely. And when my chestnut is in full leaf people don’t even notice us  sitting there.

@ger_77how wonderful that you ran into the young Ukrainian couple and the great response you are getting from friends and family.

cheers to all celebrating, my husband among them since the Bayern Munich Borussia Dortmund soccer game is on regular tv today so he doesn’t have to watch on his iPad. Prayers for those that need them. Have a great weekend everyone.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all,

We have a lovely day in the making. And we have a lot to do this weekend as neither of us has started to pack. Hope to  watch sail away, but it’s likely we will be at lunch with friends (our Golden’s”uncle and aunt”.) 2 weeks and we should be embarking Volendam (si Dios quiere).

The tea for my friend went well. We had lovely “lady” time as it rained outside and we enjoyed tea and each other’s company with a fire in the fireplace- not something that is common here in SoCal.

Yesterday did a “shorex” with a local travel company that took us to one of the California missions, a geological site and a winery (Agua Dulce) for a tour and tasting. It was really nice, but only really liked one of the wines (a red Zinfandel), and the port was really yummy, but beyond my budget. 

@ger_77 How wonderful that so many have pitched in for that couple. 

@ottahand7 Thinking of you today. Those anniversaries are hard.

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Finally, from Nassau, a decent view of the Elegant Explorer in her new colors:

image.thumb.png.c0794abc5e012fa090c36494b9b978b5.png

Roy

She’s still looking beautiful, just wearing the wrong colors.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Today's sunrise is from a land day at a layover in my 2014 World Cruise combination.  I had 3 days between disembarking Crystal Serenity in Cape Town and boarding MS Amsterdam ending in Fort Lauderdale.  The last of my land nights I spend at Aquila Game Reserve before boarding Amsterdam on April 1  The sunrise is from our morning game drive at Aquila:

dawn0401.jpg

Roy

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

Good morning. Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit.

Hopefully no one is getting pranked today. I tried to learn tatting years ago, but gave up. Not an atheist. I'm retired, but used to have some fun times at work. Interesting quote. The meal sounds good. Pass on the drink and wine (above my budget).

I haven't been to Hammerfest.

We had hard rain, lightning and high winds last night. Now that has passed, and it's sunny, but the weather people say that's not good as it will fuel the storms this afternoon, again with very high winds. I had a bad night. I felt like my heart was beating fast. I also had GI upset, and had to get up several times. And I was concerned about that area on my leg, as it seemed to be bulging as well as the skin discoloration. So, I got up and out to an Urgent Care this morning, between storms. The PA thought it might be a hematoma, and suggested heat applications, taking it easy, and an ultrasound on Monday. I can't imagine this came from my injection on Wednesday, but I guess it's possible. 

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for starting us up today in @richwmn Rich's absence. I hope your new gutters work well and prevent any leaks. Great Hammerfest photos.

@Crazy For Cats Happy 4th Birthday to Amelia! She's very pretty.

@aliaschief Thanks for the memes.

@cat shepard Thank you for the wine info. Your social life is quite busy today!

@rafinmd Two desserts? 🙂

@Vict0riann Enjoy HMC tomorrow.

@dfish Those recipes look good.

@smitty34877 Prayers that DH doesn't have to go through much for the aorta problem. Continued prayers for Tana.

@ottahand7 Hugs to you as you reflect on this date.

@marshhawk Quite the menagerie at your house with all those critters. 

@ger_77 So wonderful of you to do that for the Ukrainian couple.

@superoma I'm glad DD and DSIL got home safely.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Be well everyone.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 9

rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit, 

Good morning everyone, 

It's a cloudy day here but no rain at the moment. April is a busy month. Easter Sunday is our 46th wedding anniversary (same as @ger_77) and my 70th birthday. Why do I know we'll be celebrating in a hospital room? 

DH continues to slowly improve. Yesterday they got the feeding tube in and the MRI taken care of. The MRI showed nothing new and didn't show what the infectious disease doctor was looking for so that's good news. We still don't know why he keeps getting these UTI's and the different bacteria though. Yesterday he was alert, waving at people, clenched my hand, gave me the ok sign, and was vocalizing a lot but not many actual words. He was also quite restless in the bed and trying to get his legs over the edge so I'm going to ask about PT today. He's not ready for much at all but he could be ready to sit on the edge of the bed with assistance. Any little thing is good! 

I have a baby shower to stop by to this evening and the hospital today so I'll get busy this morning. 

Karen

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

I wish this was an April Fool's joke!

We got about 8 inches of wet heavy snow last night - 

20230401_101953.thumb.jpg.fd441cf18e155f8940aa89531a609ddb.jpg

20230401_102150.thumb.jpg.7f52138ce5bf901142d694dd0375c39e.jpg

Hopefully, everything will be clear for our 7:30 AM flight to FLL on Monday for our cruise! 

Oh, no!  We’re expecting you on board, and you are invited to join us in 5050 for sailaway- there will be 10 of us on our verandah.  Tony will tell you more.  PTZ will be filming, or maybe you will have someone to take pictures.   Roy is good at that.

• Like 14